Running/training with music

'ow do

I'm writing a piece about running "to" music (training in general but hard to swim to music and dangerous to bike to music LOL)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on:

- Why do you think listening to music improves your running?

- Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and running speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll run faster? How do you think this 'works' for you?

- Downloads/podcasts - where do you get yours from? Which are the best? What do you like? Is there a cost involved?

- What kind of music works best for you?

- Would you like to know what music the pros train to (if they do). Who?

Thank you!

I also need to interview an age grouper about this so if anyone has any particularly strong feelings about how training with music helps them, let me know and I may be in touch.

Nic

Comments

• I currently run to a playlist of 180bpm (or 90bpm) tracks to keep a good steady cadence. So yes, the speed of the music definitely affects the. speed of my running

When last marathon training, I'd tend to listen to the radio for a bit of company and as a distraction. And when a faster song came on, I would find myself speeding up.

So I either use music to focus on my running, or to try and distract me from focussing on running...
  • Listening to music definitely improves my running as I do most of my training in a gym and without it I'd die of boredom! It also affects my speed and motivation as if I'm listening to the radio and a really good tune comes on I'll generally hit the speed button and push myself for for a sprint whilst I enjoy the music.

I downloaded one of DJ SteveBoy's Podrunner podcasts (www.djsteveboy.com), which was supposed to be 165bpm and used for tempo training but I made the mistake of listening to it on an LSD run and nearly collapsed after half an hour as I'd been pushing myself too hard, despite knowing that I should be going slowly, so i'd say BPM definitely makes a difference to my running.

I generally listen to Zane Lowe on Radio 1 when I run so it's fairly eclectic music which I find works well, something with a heavy beat and that can be played loud!

It's always interesting to hear what others listen to in case they give you any new ideas.

Hope that helps
  • I listen to music both swimming and cycling – waterproof earphones swimming and one earpiece cycling but only on unclassified roads.

It minimises boredom and allows me to enjoy two things at once. I oten turn the music off for a bit in a scenic area, but almost always use it on rainy dark nights

Listening to music
    - Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and running speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll run faster? How do you think this 'works' for you?

I think there is certainly a correlation

- Downloads/podcasts - where do you get yours from? Which are the best? What do you like? Is there a cost involved?

All from itunes - Ironman talk, various radio 4, great speeches
    No real kind of music - my music taste is diverse and this is reflected in what I want ot listen to

Not really – it’s personal choice
  • And as for what music I lsiten to - anything in my collection that's the right tempo.

I downloaded this free software, which analyses MP3s and tells you the speed in BPM. Very clever little tool.
  • I use a sony mp3 player, and Sonys Connect site if downloading. Otherwise record cd's on to the Sony library on my laptop.
    Usually play whole albums at a time or a mixture.
    Currently looking at putting together a playlist from my library that will have similar bpm for LSR in marathon training.
    If using hotel gyms etc, it definitely helps to have songs that hook into the pace I'm running.
    Sometimes run with a radio at weekends of Jonothan Ross is on Radio 2
  • Thanks everyone, this is great.

SVT - ta very much for the software tip :-)
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    nope - don't train to any music apart to the singing of the dickie birds.......
  • Why not FB (not saying you should - just interested in a counter-argument)?
  • Dr Nic - I got to it via this site. There may be some other good tools on there, but I've not tried them.
  • music is ESSENTIAL for the turbo! When I am outside I enjoy the contact with the world.

- Why do you think listening to music improves your TURBOING?

helps me keep me rhythm which can be important if the set is especially hard. passes the time / breaks the time up

- Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and TURBO speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll TURBO faster? How do you think this 'works' for you?

generally I am turning the pedals at 100rpm. i'll find ome wahy to make the music fit with waht I am doing in a way that enhances my focus.

ummmm, still using CDs!

dance music - hardhouse, euphoric. anything loud and energetic.

vaguely interested but it won't really impact what I do - music's personal.
  • Thanks for the software tip,SVT. Weekend is now cancelled due to playing with Mixmeister!
    Shame I cant access the tutorials offline while on a night duty tonight!
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Id never race with music. I find at higher intensities I start to lose the rhythm of my breathing/leg turnover.

If you can get the right track bpm to suit your running speed then fine but at higher intensities I think you need to be more 'aware' on focus. I also think there may be a balance/form issue if you unable to hear your own foot landing, I wouldnt know.

Thats from the physical point of you.

Personally I think mentally it can be beneficial. It can take your mind off the pain and you can 'lose yourself' a little more. But Id only use it in training.

My favs are either something soothing and classical like enya (I prefer this on the hot, sweaty days) or i'll go more upbeat with some prodigy, green day, etc (usually before a race). I find it v beneficial to loosen up pre-race.
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Fab guys - thanks! :-)

Daz, long time no 'see' - how are you?
    Nic - I just don't see the point of running with music - though I've never tried it so I can't really qualify it from a true prefer/not prefer angle.......

have been running for so loooooooooong - well before Walkmans came to the market so I guess it's more a case of not missing something I've never tried.........

and I like to run in quiet countryside and enjoy what nature has to offer - and at this time of year with all the summer visiting birds, it's a joy to listen to them..........and see if I can spot them by song, before I see them.........

BUT - I agree with mel - I have to slap the iPod in for the turbo as that is just so achingly dull staring at the same spot for so long............
  • Gramps - just point it at your 'My Music' folder, then leave it running while you go do something else. It doesn't take too long per song, but when it's doing 1000+ songs it can take a couple of hours.

You can export the results in to Excel, which is handy for sorting, filtering and multiplying or dividing by 2!
  • (I agree with you FB, I don't run with music either except for on very long runs - and then I might not turn it on. Might account for why my pace hasn't improved in about 5 years though?!)
  • (I agree with you FB, I don't run with music either except for on very long runs - and then I might not turn it on. Might account for why my pace hasn't improved in about 5 years though?!)
  • - Why do you think listening to music improves your running? Doesnt necessarily improve my running - just that its there.

- Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and running speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll run faster? How do you think this 'works' for you? Sometimes I find myself running to the beat - but that could be bad unless its the right pace I want to go - so bad music could mess up a training session.

- Downloads/podcasts - where do you get yours from? Which are the best? What do you like? Is there a cost involved? Is it Podrunner ? Free - thats good.

- What kind of music works best for you? Music I like. But mainly I listen to Radio 4 downloads like the Archers and things. I know - I'm odd. The comedy is good too.

- Would you like to know what music the pros train to (if they do). Who? Er yeah - why not ?
  • I run with music if I'm in the gym and tend not to outside as I prefer running with other people outside.

So, my thoughts:

It gives me something else to focus on rather than the twinge in my knee or the irritating cough from the next treadmill along etc.

Definitely. Always go for tunes with beats in line with my foot strike and breathing

Don't download.

My ipod tells me it's mostly alternative and rock.
    Has to sound good turned up to maximum volume.

Not really. I'm not sure anyone else would want to have a playlist of my running music, although it is incredibly good ;o)

On the music while swimming - I'd love to get a waterproof ipod/mp3 for the pool cos it's so damn boring doing lengths!
    have to say I could have done with some music on my tough 17 mile run the other (hot) evening rather than listen to the gremlins in the head shouting

GIVE UP
    STOP
    MY FEET HURT
    MY LEGS HURT
    WHY?
    MUMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

pah - still beat them though

anyway - for turbo - some banging house/dance/euphoria/trance does it for me
  • Is the question about listening to music whilst training only? Reason I ask is that I listen to podcasts on the train which I find help with motivation and picking tips up.
  • I started running on a treadmill in a gym where the radio was tuned to Dream FM or some other easy listening radio station which drove me mad. So I invested in an ipod and I love it. When I run with my ipod on I find the session goes much quicker and I enjoy it more.

I use it mainly for the treadmill or on the road (turned down obviously). If I run in the woods with the dog I don't take it. I'd like to but don't feel safe not being able to hear if someone's around and it's easier to keep track of whether the dog's keeping up or not.

I listen mainly to high tempo dance stuff, it depends on what mood I'm in, for 'easy' runs it's Faithless, Chemical Brothers and that sort of stuff. When I'm struggling I put on more aggressive stuff like Prodigy and Nine Inch Nails.

I'd like to listen to music when I'm cycling too but again I wouldn't feel safe so I just listen to the tracks 'in my head' well, it makes a change from the voices ;-)
  • Trickster - yes it is although that's a good point if they are running/sporty podcasts

Which do you listen to? :-)
  • Why do you think listening to music improves your running?

it keeps me going

yes definately

no, don't do it - but i am thinking about it, only don't do it because i have not worked out how to - i would only use it in the gym though

stuff that reminds me of things - because it makes me laugh and that spurs me on

no
    no interest whatsoever

• These answers probably explain why I'm rubbish at all things sport-related!

I get really bored out running on my own and if I'm listening to something then it means I don't turn round and go home before I should.

Yes definitely. I have some key songs which I play when I should be running faster than my usual snail pace. They make me smile and feel like I want to be running faster and harder and so I do.

For music I listen to CD's which I have bought and copied on to my ipod.
    For podcasts I go for freeby downloads or I listen to the radio which are all free.

I tend to listen to talk radio channels raher than music radio when I'm out running unless I need to be running a bit harder or if it's an early morning run when I turn to music.
    This is going to bite me but for my Sunday morning run I do listen to the Archers omnibus. Through the week I listen to Radio 4 downloads and Talk sport - tend to enjoy comedy podcasts such as The Now Show or Genius which help keep smiling and pass the time.
    On the Turbo it's completely different and I need music at a fast pace.

Nope.

I'm also looking in to an ipod swimmy thingy as I get incredibly bored in the pool!
  • I can't imagine music whilst swimming! (I usually sing to myself in my head - slightly mental)

Haven't seen you around for ages Flipper, how are you?
  • PSCPSC ✭✭✭
    - Why do you think listening to music improves your running? I don't, but I do find that it is good company and when tired can alter the tempo of my pace. I wouldn't say it improves things tho as I concentrate less on my biomechanics.

- Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and running speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll run faster? How do you think this 'works' for you? Yes, to a certainl extent. If BPM roze above the fastest current cycle speed of my little legs then it would make no dif, but, yes, as the BPM rises so my pace shifts up in direct comparison.

- Downloads/podcasts - where do you get yours from? Which are the best? What do you like? Is there a cost involved? PAid for Napster, MSN Musik, etc and Free - ISOHUNT mostly.

- What kind of music works best for you? DEpends on mood, something with a good beat (pet shop boys for eg) or some brain bumping dance/trance stuff - Euphoria is the fav, but can just as easily run to wierd stuff from Floyd, Rush, Supertramp, etc. And the radio - radio 4 rocks!!!

- Would you like to know what music the pros train to (if they do). Who? No interest in this whatsoever!!

Btw, only use musik when training (running), never on a bike, and would not contemplate in the pool!

Cheers....
  • PSCPSC ✭✭✭
    thanks for the software tip too.......... I think the rest of the w/e may be wasted organising my hard drives!!!