Replacing first pair of proper shoes

I bought my first pair of running shoes about a year ago now - pair of Saucony Grid 4 which have served me well so am I best to go for the same shoe again and go to the internet to get a good deal or do I go back to the same shop which gave me the good advice and used a pressure pad and treadmill to work out what shoes I needed? I mean I don't have any problems with my running style which is reflected in my choice of shoe I believe?

Also, do I really need 2 pairs of shoes? One for training and one for racing?

Comments

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    1 pair of shoes?!
    2 pairs of shoes??!!

I have at least 5 (five) pairs of shoes on the go at any one time:
    1 for "bog standard" runs
    1 for very long road runs (extra cushioned)
    1 for trails
    1 for fells
    1 for short/fast stuff (intervals/races up to 5M)
    plus duplicates of the above 5 types that I'm either wearing in or wearing out.

(but feel free to ignore me as a bad influence)
    ;o)
  • If you're happy with your shoes and can get a good deal on the internet then go for it. No sense in changing them if they're not giving you any grief.
    I like to have 2 pairs and alternate them depending on the run I'm doing but I don't think I run fast enough to need specific racing shoes, although maybe I need all the help I can get...
  • ToucsToucs ✭✭✭
    I agree with redruth and can also understand DazTheSlug with all his shoes on the go. If you have found a pair of shoes that do not cause problems then find the cheapest. I use Nike pegasus and found a pair of 07 pegausus in duty free Nike shop in March for £50. Bargain!
  • well I only do a few races a year and I still run no more than 4 times a week and none of it is off-road so I don;t need anymore than 1 pair of trainers tbh. I think I will go with another pair of the Saucony Grids I have got off the 'net. Is there any difference between them and the lower priced Saucony Grids?
    MM - I assume you mean you are using the Triumph 4's? They are the most expensive, but you pretty much get what you pay for.
    I have some Triumphs for longer road runs, but I use the Trigon Ride's for "bog standard" running - they are less cushioned, but a bit more "responsive" (i.e. it's easier to go a bit faster) - they do take quite a bit of wearing in though, but you can find them online a LOT cheaper than the Triumphs...
    MM - and if you do decide to get a second pair for faster stuff (intervals/races), I find that I get on quite well with Mizuno Wave Rider's...
  • Daz - I bought my pair of Saucony Grid's from the local running shop and they cost me about £80-£85 and they were white and blue *checks tongue of shoe whilst sat at desk* and yes I mean the Triumphs.
    The latest version of these shoes are all blue - bit P I M P but I haven't had any problems with them so I'll take the advice and stick with them and get another pair off the 'net.
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/?product_code=SAU396 found them for £68 so £17 saving .

If I feel the need for a "faster" pair of trainers I'll go back to the shop and get some good advice.

'friad I don't have the inclination to wear different types of shoes for different types of training or racing currently. Running is just a way of keeping fit for me in my (limted) spare time so I'm not obsessed about kit (yet)
  • Saucony Grid Fastwitch Speed On & Off road Running Racing Shoe
    is the lightweight racing version of the Grids - would I be right in thinking they would be a good buy for faster paced stuff only?
    ANd how long do you "break in" a pair of trainers?

I've got 2 half marathons in late sept/early oct I'm targeting and would like to have some good shoes all sorted by then

(plus they go well colourwise with my vest and shorts!)