Long & slow vs. short & quick.

I can't make my mind up. Reckon the short quick ones are probably the worst culprits, but I've too little experience of long distances to really know.

Anyone have any views on this one? Be interested to know because I'm trying to slow down and run further, thereby (hopefully) reducing the risk of injury whilst training.

Thanks.

Comments

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    ...id be curious to know views on this this too.

Ive done about 60 miles this past week...all slow runs with one exception, and my knee is giving me some niggles this morning.

BUT, in the past I have had shorter weeks and when I do some speed work things get achy.

I'd be inclined to side with fast runs being more likely to injure you too....but is it simply a case of what you are used to?

• Lyra - I thought you liked both "long and slow" and "short and quick"? That's what you told me.
  • Id say they are both much of a muchness in terms of which is more likely to give you probs...getting injuries is more about how you build your varying weekly training sessions of together.

Most people probably get injured through a combination of both. As most people will be doing both i would have thought.

Even If if your training for stupid distance ultras you should still be working on short distance speed. Dont slow down all your training to run further, I think its easier to run further if you get your short fast runs quicker as well as putting in the long slow ones.

• Ah, good. I'm glad this is something 'proper runners' like Nick L aren't quite sure about either. I thought I was being a bit dim :-)

Bit of both is the way forward then, Jason. Marvellous. I can do that.

Who is this dreadful Coops10 person? :-P
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    ....Lyra....I think you are confusing me with someone else, as I am most definitely NOT a 'proper runner'!!!!
  • Nick, I say that because you look like a fairly convincing runner in your avatars. You could take 3 hours to run 5k, who knows? :-)
  • Too much too soon of any sort of training is most likely to leave you injured.
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    That would explain that nasty wrist injury of yours Coops!?
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Lyra, I think that the incidence of injuries is probably similar with both - the short, fast runs would put you more at risk of acute muscle tears etc whereas the long runs lead to the overuse injuries.

Mind you, I don't have any evidence to back up that theory!