Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Hi all - been checking out Amsterdam Marathon 2007 threads and this seems to be the most popular, so hope you don't mind if I join.

Had originally booked place in the Half but having run first Marathon - FLM - in April have upgraded to full. Aiming for sub-4, as was at FLM until the day when the heat put paid to that.

Probably travelling to Amsterdam with running club - party of c.20 going, most doing Half, a few full. Not sure which hotel we are staying at yet but will let you know.
  • Ran my first marathon in Edinburgh 2 weeks ago. It took all of about 3 days to realise i wanted to do another and 2 weeks to persuade a friend to run with me so i have finally signed up today.

I now have a pb to attack (urgh) but im hoping that starting from a better fitness base, i did finish Edinburgh after all, i can lop a good chunk of time off the 5.42 i ran in Edinburgh. It'll also mark a year since i got off the couch and started running, i couldnt last 25 minutes when i started including walk breaks.

Plotted a training plan that'll take in a 10 mile race and 3 half marathons by way of prep races this afternoon and i am pleased to have a new target since i suffered horribly with post marathon blues. Anyone who tries to convince you it doesnt exist is a liar.

Once again i expect i'll be the last of the RW forumites home but i'm flying the flag for the back of the pack plodders proudly.
  • patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    I e-mailed organisers today to find out what the energy drink is that they will be giving on day as do not want to find on day doesnt agree with me. It is Gatorade probably lemon flavour. Does anyone know can you buy this here in England.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    CanaryYellow - you finished a full Marathon within 6 months of starting running? Mega congrats - that's a terrific achievement. Sure you'll knock a big chunk off your time at Amsterdam - at least it's a flat course! A fellow Forumite who I met thro' FLM only started running a year ago and finished FLM in 4:06 and Edinburgh in 3:59. Your training programme sounds good - have you included some long runs too (up to 20 miles)?

patrunner - I read that it was Gatorade - not heard of it myself but presume it's like Lucozade Sport?
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Ternana - do you have to collect your number at an expo like FLM?
  • Lemon flavour gatorade, yuk!

Yes Didds from the expo, but its not as manic as FLM or other big un's. If you have a look at the website you'll see all the basics and it'll help you plan the 23 / 48 hrs before the run but get the expo out of the way to save yoursewlf stressing about it.
  • Ooh I didn't know there was an Expo, I'll have to look into that as I'm only arriving the day before...

I'll be hoping to knock an hour off my FLM time!

Facebook Group
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ternana - will check out the website.

BFSC - what time did you post at FLM?
  • I got semi-addicted to Gatorade in China. It tastes weaker than Lucozade, though I don't think it is in any significant sense. I drank it at Amsterdam without any after effects.

As for stockists - try their website http://www.gatorade.co.uk/, click on where to buy (top right) and stick in a postcode. Word of warning, mind - it does say that this is a link to vending machines, rather than shops with piles of stock.

You can order the powdered version from http://www.triuk.com/ (under Health and Nutrition)
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Ternana - had a look at the official website but can't see anything about registration at Expo. Can you post a link to the relevant page?

JM3 - so Gatorade is not as sweet as Lucozade Sport? Should be OK with that.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    JM3 - result! Checked the Gatorade website and apparently they sell it at my gym! Haven't seen it there before, so will have to have another look. Ta very much for the tip-off.
  • No problem - be interesting to see if they actually do, mind, given that you've not spotted it before!

And no, not as sweet - apparently it's "specially designed to taste right when you're tired". Certainly worked for me - it's like weak lemon drink but with a kick.

As I remember from last year, I didn't get details of the expo until nearer the time - all came in an email, though there was a good map of Amsterdam (showing the course) and so on sent in the post as well. The metro system gets you near to the expo cheaply and quickly, though I made a friend trying to buy a ticket - we ended up having to get help from a member of staff, but he spotted we were struggling and talked (bless their linguistic talents!) us through it.
  • Hello all!

I'm signed up for Amsterdam. Haven't thought about travel or accommodation yet but will have a little read through the posts when I have a mo to get a few ideas for hotels. I'll be flying from Paris on the Saturday morning and hopefully will be able to manage a few days off afterwards to do a bit of sightseeing.

My training is starting to gain momentum again with a view to attacking a marathon specific training plan from August. I ran the Paris marathon in April and have done too shorter races since. I'm doing the 20k at Le Touquet in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping for a pb if it's not too hot or otherwise it'll be a brisk training run.... (it's always hot!!)
  • .. that would be 'two' shorter races!

:)
  • Big GeorgeBig George ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I'm not a regular forumite, but am determined to stay motivated enough to knock a big chunk off my marathon pb. Thought that coming on here may help, if no-one minds.
    Just jogging at the mo (and really enjoying it), but will start a 16 wk program soon. Hope I enjoy that as much!
  • I think Im just about recovered from injury now and Im starting to think about training for this again.

I ran Windemere (1st marathon) 4 weeks ago and made the mistake of not having a rest period straight after the race. Instead, I picked up with my training two days later and ran about 50 miles in the week period straight after the marathon. My last run, which injured me, was an 8 mile club run that stretched to a 10.5 mile run due to a wrong turn and at some point during it gave me a strained ar5e muscle (I know the real name of the muscle but Im damned if I can spell it).

Anyway, Ive had a rest (on Tuesday it will be 3 weeks since my last run) which has included swimming, walking and cycling. Im having my last swim today then Im going to attempt a run tomorrow. I think the fields near where I live have become muddy over the weekend so Im gonna have a few laps round there!!!!

Ive only got 4 races booked between the marathon and now at the moment, but Im hoping to do about 400-500 miles training (if my body holds up)in preparation. And Im hoping to be doing half marathon distance ion training before the end of July, which is when my next race is (James Herriot Trail Race).

Hoping to run this course in under 3 hrs and knock about 15 mins off my PB. I managed a 3:14 at Windemere with the hills, so i think a flat course may be a little easier?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Dave,

A flat course should be easier and faster - if you're aiming for about 3 hours you can be my pacer ;-) I did 3.07 at London and want to take some more off that.

Take it easy these next few weeks so that you're not back on the injury bench.

Have been lazy myself today but about to drag myself out for a 15-18 mile run (should have been this morning but had an attack of the CBAs). Better late than never!

18 week training schedule starts tomorrow. Best kind of schedule: Monday is a rest day. But I can't believe it's only 18 weeks already - where did the last 8 weeks go???
  • My 1st couple of runs are going to be gentle just to test out the injury and loosen the muscle up. Im hoping to add extra stuff into my training for this marathon that I didnt do last time and get more long runs in. I only did one run over 20 mile for Windemere. Need a few more of thiose and some more speed sessions as well.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow! I'm impressed at 3.14 off one 20 miler. You're clearly going to be very fast at Amsterdam!
  • Didds The longest run i ran in training was 16 miles. I lost 2 weeks training to injury and everything i read suggested not to try to catch the miles back up and with the 10% rule in mind i just made do.

I'm still overweight but im getting ever quicker and the runs i do get easier and easier. The lsr i did Saturday was a new pb so all is headed the right way. My only goal is to run more and walk less than at Edinburgh. That said if i wound up slower i would be dissapointed.

I've entered 2 races and have my eye on another 3 before Amsterdam, it'd be fair to say i really enjoy the races even tho i do tend to rumble home in the last 5%.
  • Injury still literally a pain but it is now the heel area which is tender rather than the ankle but as the day goes on it does seem to get easier.

Tomorrow I am going to try a short run and then going to see a running coach for advise re the physio etc.

I cant believe that only a few weeks ago I was in a marathon and now I walk so slowly but believe that testing it might make me feel a bit better psychologically, fingers crossed as I so want to be there in Amsterdam.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Royal Slap - welcome aboard. Also due to start my 16-week training programme on 2 July. Have opted for the 3-day a week 'FIRST' programme this time (http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm) as followed the RW 5-day a week/16-week programme for FLM and found the time commitmment too much. Will see how things go after the first 4 weeks and review.

CanaryYellow - I have a 10K on Sunday, a 5K next month and the New Forest Half Marathon on 16 September. Deliberately cutting back on races this summer as did far too many last year, but as long as you work your races into your programme and don't overdo it in terms of trying to post PBs in every race you should be OK.
  • Jane. 4 weeks ago I ran a marathon and now I havent run for 20 days. (not that Im counting). However, I think the rest, swimming, walking, climbing and cycling has done me good and todays the day I attempt my 1st run. I bought some new innov8 trail shoes last week so they will get a 1st run around local fields later in the wet and mud and I will record the distamnce with my new Garmin which I bought at the sdame time.

Jools:
    I had planned to do more long runs in the Windemere build up, but I picked up a knee injury following a 10k in February and lost 2.5 weeks and I lost a weeks training just before the Hawkshead Trail race due to another (unrelated) knee injury. I'm all rested now and really raring to go. Ive just got to remember to take it easy for the 1st couple of sessions. I'm hoping to have my training runs past the half marathon mark by the end of July, ,n time for the James Herriot Trail Race. Then be up into the 20's by the time the Derwent Trail race and the Yorkshireman Half come round at the begionning of September :)
  • When you are running as slowly as i am pb's become kind of irrelevant. I dont need a stopwatch to tell me im improving! I run the races becuase i really enjoy them. All the data that comes from the ipod sports kit is just a bit of a giggle to look at when i get home.
  • Its official. Im entered and takin part. Now just a small matter of training, flights and accomodation
  • Dave A

Poor you with the injury, I am such a misery recently and have missed running so much. I am charging the batteries for the mp3 player tomorrow and I too shall be sporting my Garmin even if it only records a 2 mile run. When I reach 6 miles I will book my fights and hotel as I will feel a bit more confident. Good luck with the recovery and anyone else who is getting back to fitness
  • Just done my 1st run in 20 days and I managed 5.42 miles in 38:15. All of which was mainly off road on farmers fields and tracks with a few inclines (nearly hills) to tackle.

I will have to see how the leg feels in the morning to determine if Im ok and havent aggrevated anything, but feels good so far :)
  • take it steady Dave,

I've had a ruptured Achilles since February and am now only just jogging 5 - minutes at a time to try and build up before I statr training for Amsterdam
  • Ive had an achilles injury before. 3 months without running was a beggar!

My plan is to take it steady for the 1st week or so but Im looking to build it up at a decent rate. Obviousley Im not planning on doing anything too stupid!
  • Big GeorgeBig George ✭✭✭
    Didds - Thanks for the welcome - it almost made me go out for a run right away! (almost):)
    I am going to try the RW 5-day schedule, as I didn't have a structure for my FLM training. About 6 weeks before the race I stupidly did a 25 miler, found it OK and then did very few decent runs until the big day. I paid big-time: taking over an hour longer than my 25 miler.
    This time I am happy to let someone else plan my runs for me. I can see the commitment being too much, but will give it a try.