"Down Tow, Up Flow" Thames Towpath Half-Marathon

Should be a good run this - I like the idea of doing it a differrent way each year.

Comments

• Is this the first year that this has been run? If not, what sort of numbers take part? It does sound like a really nice run.
  • Does anyone know what sort of times have been recorded in past years? I'm really interested in this race but it will be my first ever 1/2 marathon! I like the idea of following the Thames- surely apart from the fast race leaders it must get a bit crowded at the back? I know I would be fairly slow.........
  • also planning on this being my first half . I will be slow! - so at least i will be behind you!
  • Just registered for this one. Anyone done it before? Would be interested to hear any comments.
    Don't worry Jegsy, there will be at least one person plodding behind you.
  • This looks like an interesting run, I think i'm going to enter. should be fun and flat. And a good run for a first half, for you first timers. Lets go and have some fun.

It would be nice to know a bit more about the race but there is nothing on their website.
  • a group of us are using this as our long sunday run wont be racing just chating and enjoying the surroundings
  • Hi, race director here! This is the inaugural 'Down Tow Up Flow' which is why there isn't much info on the website. Happy to answer any questions though. Glad you're all coming along - I think it's going to be a lovely run. And yes, it is fine for first-timers .... flat and very scenic. let me know how you enjoyed it afterwards :-)!
  • Thanks Claire it's good to know you are looking out for us on the forum.
  • Well, I've just sent my entry in! You sound a friendly bunch to run with.....it may be that we'll be jostling for the comfortable back positions and just enjoy the whole adventure? Something for me to aim for during my busy summer exam timetable! See you all there!
  • Tigeress has just entered. And my mum has said she will do the driving for me. So you can count me in. I will enter nearer the race.
  • Hello race director! Nice idea and thanks for organising this. Can you please shed some more light on the coach that will get us form Windsor to Marlow. Is that included in the price? Do we have to sign up for that etc.
    Thanks in advance. Cheers Luddy
  • I love the idea of taking part in an inaugural race - we were looking at doing the High Wycombe 1/2 on 15July but this looks much more user- (and flat!) Coach from Windsor sounds like a fab idea - we'll definitely be booking our seats on that as well. See you all there :)
  • This sounds like my cup of tea. Speaking of which, what will be the situation regarding water stations? "Occasional" doesn't sound too many given it'll be run in the middle of the summer.

Having experienced the waterless shambles that is the British 10K in London a few times I'm a little nervous about running without much in July.

• Hi Luddy, the coach runs from Windsor Leisure centre where the finish is at 9am to get you to the start in Marlow. We have added a price band for those who want the coach at £3 - this is the very cheapest we could manage!
    Mike - There will be approx 7 water stations along the way, which should be plenty. Obviously it is quite tricky getting them along the towpath, but we have done our best.

Btw, there are plenty of viewing points for spectators - I will be sending details out a couple of weeks before the race and will include some ideas of where to go to catch sight of you in all your glory!
  • 7 water stations, thats great. If it's hot we will need them.
  • If memory serves me correct, there are numerous awkward gates to negotiate between fields. What about the rail bridge at Cookham - this will reduce the field to single file with lots of argy-bargy. Not to mention the lively cattle in one of the fields - didn't a female dog walker get badly injured not so long ago?
    Is the A4094 closed to traffic in the mile to Maidenhead Bridge, or are the runners expected to stick to the pavement?
  • Thanks Claire, that's great news about the water! Looking forward to it.

There's still a few tricky gates between Marlow and Bourne End, not sure about other parts of the course though. Fence vaulting and cattle-grid crossing skills will be quite useful I think!

• Hi Tester,
    Yes, you are right, there are some gates in the first section and there is a bridge too (with great views of the river!). The A4094 is not closed to traffic, so as with most road races, you will be asked to keep to the footpath for that 3/4mile stretch.
    While I accept that this type of race is not for everyone, I hope that most runners will thoroughly enjoy doing something a bit different, being in the countryside and all that entails.
    Multi-terrain events, by their very nature, are never straightforward, but we think everyone will have a great run!
    Not sure if you've entered or not, but if you do please do let us know afterwards how you got on and whether you enjoyed it.
  • MikeN - with your fence-vaulting skills, I'm expecting you to be at the front :-)!!
  • That's really not likely Claire - just about to go on my first proper training run for this - but I do appreciate the encouragement!

• Claire, I see Purple Patch have entered a team for the Midsummer Monro, will you be there?
  • I have entered. It looks like a lovely race.

I did Race 4 Home relay race last year from Henley to Sonning along the Thames path and it was really good running. This should be better as it is the other direction so downhill! yippeee!

How many people are expected to run? The Thames path does get narrow at times!!
  • Yes - we have a team at the Midsummer. We won it last year but not looking so clever this year! Will have PP t-shirts on so if you see us come and say hello - I am the good looking one - the others are males! ;-)
  • I think you should be in with a good chance of getting another win. I'm about to enter only the third team to enter this year. If I see you I will definatly come and say hello.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    This one looks interesting ... and do-able for a non-motorist.

Claire, if you're still around:

1. The first train from Reading arrives at Windsor Central Station at 8:30. Looking at the maps, am I right in thinking that it's a 10-min walk max to the Leisure Centre?

2. It says memento ... I like medals (hence my forum name, if you're familiar with the cartoons) ... ? Feel free to call me sad :-)
  • Hi Muttley

Yes you're right, it should be approx 10-15 mins. You can either walk straight down Arthur Road, or follow the river until you get to the Leisure Centre.

The memento is a medal ..... just a slightly different type - I think you'll like it. Not sad at all - and I remember Muttley (and his laugh)!
  • Claire,

Another question if you don't mind. Will there be a way of getting bags from Marlow to Windsor? If not are there any lockers that we can use at the leisure centre in Windsor?

Thanks,

mono
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Thanks Claire. I might well have a go at this one.
  • I'm in! Looking forward to it as I used to live in Maidenhead. Love the idea of a run all the way down the river
  • Mono - we will be taking bags from Marlow to Windsor for those parking in Marlow. You are welcome to leave your bag at that drop, however please be aware that it may be a bit tight on time - the coach leaves Windsor at 9am so should get to the start by 9.40. You can leave bags at the baggage drop in Windsor Leisure Centre if you prefer. It's up to you how you feel happiest .....

JohnB - good to see an ex-resident returning to his roots :-)!