is this pretty pants ?

Hi,

i am in the process of hopefully training for marathon in September, but this sunday was my longer run of the week. It amounted to 6 1/2 miles in 70 minutes. Thats not so good is it ?

Comments

• whats wrong with it
  • Muppet, it's the time on your feet that counts, not the speed you do them at! Unless of course you are setting yourself a specific time target....or you are an elite athlete!!!
    Well done to you! Which marathon are you doing?
    How far into your schedule are you?
  • try a different pair of pants

there is nothing wrong with the time
  • Noooo problem...

Just over 10.5 m/m, which isnt bad??

Even if you up your distance by only 5% each week you'll get to half mara distance in 12 weeks (assuming the race is middle of September).

Find a good 12-week programme with some speed sessions thrown in. Plenty of time. :-)
  • Dunno, M27. It might be too slow. It might be too fast. It might not be long enough. It might be too long for your current stage of training. And maybe your pants are absolutely hideous. But if you can string together six-and-a-half miles at under 11mm pace, you're a useful runner, whatever :o)
  • M27 as others have said, nothing wrong with your run. Main thing is did you enjoy it? how did you feel during and after the run?

are you looking forward to your next training run?
  • I wish. The best I've managed is 5 miles in 60 mins so you're doing pretty well mate. Keep it up.
  • Muppet where is your marathon?

I'm doing the Dublin marathon in October and I wish I was as far on as you are!
  • hey Phil
    a felloow 12 minute miler!!!!!!
    Hi fives Phil
  • HI its the Robin Hood Marathon in Nottingham.

Thanks for the support guys, its much needed as doubting myself. Yeserday was a rest day and tonight i have a 40min run. So fingers crossed.
  • Remember that not every run in training should be run as fast as you can. Thats the way to injury. Each run has a point, some are for stamina, some for speed.
  • I try to do a nice plodding pace, then the last few minites i muster all i have. Id like to cross the line not looking like im going to pass out.

( even if i do once over it)
  • As has been said time on your feet is more important than the time on your watch.

If its your first marathon dont try and break any records... you wont.

The pace you are running at is the best starting point. You may lose a few pounds over the coming weeks and that will help with your time.

Remember your objective is to run a marathon. Why spoil the experience by wanting to complete it in 2 hours?! Enjoy the experience and spread it out.
  • :))

yes Nick
    i love marathons so much i make them last for 6 hours;))
  • Yeah if all goes to plan i think im aiming for 5hours 10. But as long as i finish, and im not pushed off the route by the sweeper bus then i will be happy.

Talking of the sweeper bus, how will i know where to go, if they are packing up the route and cones and water stations around me.. that is honestly one of my fears.
  • Muppet does the Nottingham Marathon have a cut off?
  • My only marathon outing so far was Nottingham finishing in 4:37, there were loads behind me, and a good crowd still at the end. Muppet why not check last years results and see what time the final runners finished in. That should give you an idea of how many people should be left in the 5ish hour slots.
  • Cracks Knuckles....

Right then young Muppet... if you train and eat well between now and Nottingham. You'll be well finished before the sweeper bus driver has even clocked in.
    Fears are bad. Dont have em. The marathon isnt like Big Brother.. your fellow competitors are desperate for you to keep your chin up and keep on- because thats the only way they will complete too. All for one and all that.
  • i asked the organisers and was told

"we do open the
    roads after 6 hours, and any runners left on the course must run as
    pedestrians and run on the footpath, however the finish area stays in place
    until the last runners crosses the line."

but still how will i know were to go? Im worried i wont finish, for getting lost.
  • As has been said time on your feet is more important than the time on your watch.

If its your first marathon dont try and break any records... you wont.

The pace you are running at is the best starting point. You may lose a few pounds over the coming weeks and that will help with your time.

Remember your objective is to run a marathon. Why spoil the experience by wanting to complete it in 2 hours?! Enjoy the experience and spread it out.
  • Just got this from the notts marathon site.

Will there be a sweeper bus? The sweeper bus follows at the back of the race. Between miles 1 and 3 it travels at 15 minute miling pace and thereafter at 12 minutes per mile. Anyone overtaken reverts to a pedestrian. We cannot guarantee marshals and road closures to still be in place, so please proceed with caution.

--------
    If you allow the bus 25 minutes to get started at this pace he'll reach the end at just under six hours. You'll be parading with your medal at that point.. thinking.. London 2008.. quite fancy that.
  • thanks nick, i really do hope so.

right one last big fear, what if something drastic happens, ie fall, get hurt or cant complete and im in the middle of knowehere, dont want to be a pain to anyone else trying to finish. How would anyone know where i am ?
  • Appreciate these are real fears but if you can't control them - then dont worry yourself.

Focus on Your Training and diet!

Let the organisers worry about you on the course.
  • ok will do.... i will just keep plodding
  • CeridwenCeridwen ✭✭✭
    Muppet, I did the Robin Hood Half last year. I'm a 12-min miler, or even slower, and am totally jealous of your speed :) There was a group of us near the back getting totally neurotic about the sweeper bus from about 6 miles on, however we did not even see it looming in the distance!
  • Tehuti,

What time did you finish the half last year ? i was there doing the half last year too,, it was a tough one as it was so very warm and the bit in the uni seamed endless to me,, up,, down,,,,round,,, up,, down,,,,,
  • Muppet
    i would carry a mobile phone with you
    nottingham is a big marathon, so you are unlikely to be all alone anyway
  • Good plan Plodding Hippo thanks
  • CeridwenCeridwen ✭✭✭
    Ummm, mumble, *blushes fiercely with shame*
    2hr 45min. Told you I was slow!

I found that first hill in The Park a killer, I had been keeping up with the Army chaps up to that point, but yes the uni bit was endless too.
  • CeridwenCeridwen ✭✭✭
    Oh, BTW, if you think the uni bit is endless, wait till you hit the lake at Holme Pierrepont in the mara. It's about 5k all the way round but feels like much more, especially when there are strong winds there (frequent occurrence). People I know who've done the mara say that is the killer part, because it comes at the 21 mile point as well. Might be worth having a run round it in advance so you are not totally unprepared.