Can I Still Run a PB?

I ran my best 10k about 13 years ago in 43m. I've not done a huge amount of running since then due to work stuff and shin-splints. But the last month or so I've felt quite good and done a fair amount of training, not run a 10k yet but I did a 5k in 23m. Was hoping for better. Is there any chance of me beating my pb or basically am I just too old???

Comments

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Yes there is every chance. I am your age and can run one in about 41 mins. Just do the training and watch what you eat.
  • MikeR - I was 40 this year and have PB'd at 10k, half and marathon distance. If there is room to increase training then the PBs will usually follow regardless of age.
  • MikeR

a youngster like you can certainly improve on a modest previous time - just don't leave it too late as it does get harder as time goes by - I know!!:-))
  • CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    I PB'd a 10k aged 42. I put this down to three reasons.

1. I incorporated far more interval training and hills into my regime.

2. I was absolutely determined to beat a workmate and pushed myself well beyond my comfort zone.

3. I'd never really concentrated on 10ks before. Marathons were the event I trained for; a good 10k time was just not important to me.

Now, after a couple of years out of the game I'm planning to beat my pb of 39.49 at 47.... and do you know what?

I'm going to do it.
  • Definitely - I reduced my 10K time to 34:58 at 38.

and my 2 mile time to 10:46 and my 5k time to 17:04 again at 38.

It just takes consistant hard work. (and lots of speedwork
  • Of course you can..I got my 10 mile PB this year ..aged 45.. 1.15.
    just got to go for the half marathon under 1.40 next ! now...10k ? well for me not sure ! did 43.30 in late 30s..not gone under 45 mins since passing 40...but with some extra speed work and the right course..maybe !!
  • No reason why not - you just have to work harder for it than perhaps you did when you were younger!
  • Of course you can.

I started running at 38, now 43

PB at 10k 45:23 at Easter
    Still better to come.

Half marathon PB is 1:49, but I'm aiming for sub 1:45 in October. To quote Corinth's words,
    'I'm going to do it!', too.
  • If you've always been a runner there does come a point at which the law of diminishing returns begins to apply, particularly at shorter distances. There's only so much speedwork you can sensibly do.

I set my 6 mile pb in my mid 20's (sorry they didn't have 10k's back then), and I managed to stay within 15% of that until I passed 40. At that point I realised I wasn't likely to be able to maintain the intensity of training I needed, bearing in mind my lifestyle. So I consigned 10k's to history. I did a similar thing to half marathons a couple of years ago for similar reasons. Apart from a spectacular exception in my 20's my marathon times remain pretty constant.

So yes at 38 you could be setting PB's at 10K for some time to come - just don't exepect it to last for ever.
  • MikeR - I hope so. I only started running 18 months ago at 38, and have ssen times come down. Hence, I am slightly older than you, but hope to get a new PB at 10K at a race this weekend.

I only need 5 seconds off my time to be officially a sub-40 min 10K runner, as some others have eluded - I will do it.
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Mike R - never say never! I started running just over a year ago and am now 46 - my times just keep getting better. Regular running is the key to success. Enjoy
  • There is a chap at my running club who started running at 48 and he can now do 10Ks regularly in 36 mins at age 50!!! It can be done.

I'd say that a few years under your belt is actually helpful for 10K to marathons.

Good luck.
  • Hi guys

I've pinched this question for this week's Reader to Reader, so look forward to reading your training and goal-setting suggestions...

Thanks

Catherine :o)
  • Yeah should be no problem. Unless you are secretly Seb Coe trying to mount a comeback.
  • Course you can!

Just remember the mantra, long run, tempo run and speedwork, mix in a few easy runs and it will all come together.

Oh, and my number one tip, join a club, apart from the social side all the available experience, help and support will make it all easier.

At 38 my half marathon time was about 1:42, now I'm 44 I've had a 1:30 half and a 2:26 20 miler.

Enjoy.
  • I did my GNR PB at 38. 2:38 from 2:58. I had nearly 2 years out to have a baby. Then as running time was my time and at a premium I put my all into it. There were no missed runs, I ate better.. but yes I think you can if you put your mind to it.

I cut my 5k time to 32 mins from 35 this year and am hoping to do the GNR in 2.30 which has always been my goal. But at the same time I did the Great Womens run yesterday and when I realised I wasn't going to come in under the hour and I wasn't enjoying my run I decided to relax pace a bit and after that I really enjoyed it. I got to take in some of the coastal beautiful coastal scenery. I came in at 1:11 but I enjoyed the 2nd 5k more than the 1st. So I would say don't get to the point where you are not enjoying your runs or risk injury.

Good luck.
  • I had 20 years out from running started back age 44 8 months ago. 10k 38.30 rhayader 20 2.24. join club go with faster runners train well eat healthy
  • YES, it is possible!
    I did not run for a year due to injury and started again. Within 8 months, I got back to where I was.
  • Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

There are easier, sure fire ways of doing it. Have a look here for a few tips ;-)
  • A PB at 38? I hope so!

I broke my 10 yr old PB for 1/2 mara by 10mins earlier this year, aged 37.

I'm aiming for my 11 yr old mara time later this year (got within 3 1/2 mins at FLM aged 38)

If in the process I manage to better my 10k time (also 11 yrs old) then that would be a bonus, and I think it is possible - if not this year then next.

Also PBd for 10miles and 20 miles this year, but then I'd never raced over either of those distances before - so kind of happened by default!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Of Course you can. I'm 39 (today) and still have plans to destroy my current pbs.

There is a good quote which i believe in
    “Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right!” Henry Ford

Its totally true, be positive. If you have any negative thoughts that will just get in the way
  • 38 - blimey, still a youngster! It's in the mind - think fast and just go for it!
  • I certainly hope so, I'm 38 and I hope to PB at least a couple times this year, as mentioned above think positive!
  • Age is but a number.

People who say you can't always provide me with a good motivation to prove you can.

PB @37 10k 39m45s
    PB @37 1/2 M 1h30m

• Pammie - have you just visited my website?

That very quote appears as the thought for the month - spooky!!
  • Yes of course you can you daft sod.

Just shuddup an train, bitch!
  • Absolutely. Ive PBd this year aged 48 at half marathon and last year over the full marathon distance. I also have run my 2nd and 3rd fastest 10ks over the past 12 months.
  • Hope so as I'm 39 and trying to aim for pbs.

Realised that I now need two days recovery between fartlek sessions.

'Age is only a number'. I think it was the Ethiopian distance runner Yifter that said that.

Not sure if he even knew his proper age !
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Of course you can with the right training, recovery and attitude of mind.