Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• I didnt follow any particular plan. All I did was longer runs as part of training and put extra recovery runs in. Due to a couple of niggling injuries I missed a couple of longer runs.

Fpr this one, Im not following a plan, just running to a pace that I feel good for when training.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Royal Slap - was that this year's FLM? If so, your time doesn't sound too bad given the heat - took me 4:22 and I was aiming for 3:50. As I said, the RW 5-day a week programme is tough on time commitment, but if you can fit it in around work and home commitments you will do well. I managed a Half PB by nearly 2:30 12 weeks into the 16-week programme.
  • Big GeorgeBig George ✭✭✭
    Didds - yes this year's FLM. I was one of the ones who found the heat very tough, so looking to take a big chunk off my pb in Amsterdam. Gonna give the 5 day programme a try. Went for a little 5 mile jog today and am much slower than this time last year, so really looking forward to getting started on the programme and running faster. Starting to get excited already!
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Royal Slap - hope you can hold that excitement 'til October! Long way to go yet. Let me know how you get on with the 5 day programme. I found the heat at FLM really tough - just had to hold on for the last 6 miles and don't remember seeing Buckingham Palace! Said on the day 'Never again' but by the next day was itching for my next one.
  • No ill effects of yesterdays comeback run today. I think Im good for a little while longer. A few more comeback runs and I'll be raring to go for this one :)
  • I have taken the advice suggested on this forum and tomorrow I have an appointment at a sports physio centre for a foot scan and physio treatment. I really hope that this will be the beginning of the end of this injury as its nearly four weeks since Edin Mara and still not able to run.

I have been told to bring my trainers so they can video my running, not sure how this is going to work as I can do a pretty decent hobble but definitely not a run :)

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Jane. I'm sure they'll get you fixed. know what you mean about the hobble - I remember having to hobble on a treadmill when my ITBS was at it's worst. Why put a mirror in front of me? I know I look carp...!
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    16 week schedule starts on monday 25th :¬)

All the best Jane
  • are you sure musketeer, I worked it out that 16 weeks before October 21 is July 1
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I made 18 weeks two days ago (i.e. racing on the Sunday of the 18th week) and it's all filled in on my training diary. I'm with Durham Dawdler on this one!
  • patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    I'm going to Tenerife on the 29th June so am going to start my 16 week schedule from my return which will be first long Sunday run on 9th July
  • Lucky you Pat!

My holiday this year starts on August 28th, so that's 2 weeks all inclusive eating & drinking just when I shouldn't be doing it!!
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Yep, my 16-week programme starts on 2 July.

Good luck tomorrow Jane.
  • Jools B - I am going with an 18 week P&D schedule, which I too started this week.

Just back from my mid week semi long one, 90 minutes at 80%MHR, probably equating to about 10 miles but no Garmin by choice. Nice and steady and a joy to be out running tonight actually. I shall increase the length and maybe the intensity of these further down the line.

Holiday dates tricky for me too being mid-August but at least we are in GB for once, usually go somewhere unfeasibly hot. Mr C being pretty cool about the fact I will have to train too (at the moment!)

My debut marathon was Lochaber this year (3.32) but I am hooked so here we go again.

Best of luck to everyone, including the injured amongst us!
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Damn there goes my excuse of peaking too soon!
  • I have been to the sports physio centre and had my foot scan etc. It seems I have problems with my arches/ligaments and a stress fracture in my heel, at least I know why I was in such pain. I now have an 8 week programme of rehab going three times a week which is a 70 mile round trip for me so not looking forward to that but it will be worth it.
    I asked the phsyio if he thought I would be on the start line for A/dam and he said "yes" which is great but before I book the flight and hotel can anyone offer sound advice on if they think this is possible?
    The physio said if I am not back to running reasonable distances in eight weeks they will treat me free as they are confident. I feel a bit awful doubting their confidence but when last night I experienced real pain after only running up and down a gym I feel very apprehensive.

Sorry its so long
  • Jane - hope you get it sorted out, I'm afraid I'm no expert about whether their advice is realistic though.

I feel like I'm getting back into things again after Edinburgh, this morning I did a 12 mile run and it actually almost felt good, until now my longer runs have felt far more of a struggle than they used to, but I might finally have recovered enough to get going again.

I'm kind of making up my own programme this time - for my first mara (Berlin 2006) I followed a programme a bit too strictly and overdid it when I should have listened to my legs a bit more, and finished in 4:51. For my second (Edinburgh) I made it up myself, increasing my long runs like most of the other schedules, but fitting other runs in depending on how I felt, what my club had planned, etc etc, and it worked a lot better - I took nearly an hour off my Berlin time and finished in 3:52. So this time I'll be following the same approach I think. I look at plans to get ideas of the sort of sessions I could fit in, but I don't feel like I'm tied to them if something else crops us.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Jane - poor you, no wonder you've been in pain, but at least you now know what it is and have a plan to get it sorted. I'm no expert either but the Physio sounds like he knows what he's doing so I would think positive and see how things go. Maybe you can do lots of swimming in the next 8 weeks to build up your fitness?
  • Jane- Ive found when Ive had leg injuries before, swimmings been a fantastic way of keeping fit. Ive also tried to walk as much as possible to keep my legs used to working because after the first couple of comeback runs, they always feel like lead!

As for training plans, I didnt follow one for Windemere and did ok, so im going the same route this time, i.e see how I feel and increase the distance accordingley and do long runs when feels good for me!
  • Hi everone, hope your taining is going well.

First post in a while as have been injured and not running for the last 4 weeks and on holiday for the last 2 weeks, been keeping the fitness up by swimming and mountain biking, feel fit and ready to get down to some serious training for Amsterdam now. Keeping everything crossed for an injury free build up from here on!
  • Hi everyone, I've entered the Ams. too, hope to see/meet some of you up there. Am trying to get back to training, did Paris in April, but seem to have been dogged with illness, so am taking it easy.

Looking forward to it though.

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Amsterdam tends to be windy ? After heat, wind is my greatest bugbear. Give me an overcast sky & a cool (or cold) drizzle any day.

Incidentally, if anyone is still looking for accommodation, the Best Western Delphi on Appollaan are doing a reasonable deal at the moment (@ 90 euros/night incl breakfast). The drawback is that if you cancel - you don`t get your money back. Location looks good - perhaps a km or so from the start/finish.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Onetit - how did you get on at Paris? Had a look at your Gite website - looks really nice and haven't booked a holiday yet this year so may look into it.

Beetle - don't know but I can ask as a few Club mates ran it last year.
  • Hello
    Another new poster entered for Amsterdam and starting the 16 week programme this weekend (with the Arran Half Marathon). Following a 4 sessions per week training programme(amended) from Bob Glover but it might become a 3 sessions per week FIRST programme by defaault in view of other calls on my time - let the madness begin!
  • Paris was horrid for me, too hot, not enough water, badly organised, in my opinion and I pulled something in my left thigh at about 10 miles and hobbled the rest in over 5 and 1/2 hours, which I was more distressed at. Had hoped for under 5 hours (did FLM in 2003 in 4.35).

So, have to do another to get it out of my system, health allowing. Got all clear on one test today, so back to docs tomorrow to see what he says.

Email me re Gite, special rates for "cyber" mates...!!
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Anyone know any good sites for info on apartments / self-catering? 100 euros a night seems to be the standard - anyone know anything cheaper than that?
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Onetit - you have e-mail. Will definitely look into the Gite, thanks.

Welcome aboard Ken. My 16-week FIRST programme also starts on Monday. You're starting your 16-week programme with a Half Marathon! Impressive.
  • Morning all,

I've had to adjust my expected time down to 5 hours due to the fact that I've not run since pulling my Achilles in February - it may even go down to six hours before October!

I managed to jog a mile yesterday with no pain due to the help of a neoprene ankle support so I'm getting there.
  • Big GeorgeBig George ✭✭✭
    Sixteen week schedule for me too. No half marathons in the first week, thankfully.
  • Still no training plan to follow. Just done my first run since injury under 7mm average so just looking for improvement in pace and distance until end of July the start throwing in 20+ milers on rest days.