Sub 3

Comments

• CRAB my cockney rhyming slang is not what it used to be (infact truth be told it never was anything) but if a Lady Godiva is a "fiver" your on. If it's anything more I don't think the kids would apprecate me dipping into their child benefit.

I've been having a bit of a think recently and concluded I will be posting more often as it's a bit of an incentive (as TR found)to know that people are "checking up" on you.

Had a great bike ride tonight. A brisk 20 miles through Windsor Great Park and environs. There's a wonderful stretch of road from Ascot to Windsor thats slightly downhill, I also had a tail wind, and was pushing 28-30mph for most of the 5 miles. Very exhillerating and a bit nerve racking as i'm still getting used to my tri-bars. Ascot race course was just emptying out so was getting passed by Ferraris, Bentleys and a couple of Lamborghinis.....which I took great pleasure in overtaking back when they hit the traffic in Windsor.

I wonder if Pug ever did buy those yellowy/orange Brooks GTS 7's ?
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    lol TR even legs of steel need repairs sometimes

Obviously they are "running" repairs
  • 100 Bob shillings it is then sir.

You should post more. I hardly ran a fckn step for >3 months and it never stopped me annoying the carp out of most of the inhabitants on here.

(BTW I think it's the Avatar I miss. The only happy smiley face we get to see. Otherwise it's fckn daleks, labcoats, PJ's in orange singlets, people racing or cartoon characters.)

Wonder what GR's been up to lately?

flipper I asked how you got on at Windsor and then found out (in fact might have known before thus giving you the big drum roll) but just to say that's definitely on the brisk side of respectable. Great stuff. You still think you're on to qualify for whatever it is you were trying to qualify for?

As you were.
  • my favourite avatar is Gobi's closly followed by DN's Dalek and the absent Pugsternever ending runner. I did like the addition of a bagguette (and was there a beret and moustache too ?) to the crustacean before you did paris.

....and to think I was thinking of changing name... it was given to me on the Dublin 05 forum for some reason ?)and my avatar to something more anonymous. I'll keep a look out ....but Gobi's will take some beating.
  • Evening all, just back from a week in New York and struggling to feel tired.

I did all my miles in Central Park (64 miles - down from 95 weekly average) and very impressed at the sheer numbers of runners and cyclists in the park, even at 6am. Everyone runs on the roads and the only cars are the NYPD patrols - given the girth of the average inhabitant you would never believe how accommodating they are to runners.

I am in Hong Kong next week so it looks like the tedium of the treadmill, as I can't think where to run there; safely anyway - anyone have any ideas?

Apart from RB, no one else interested in getting a team of 3 together for the Mablethorpe marathon on 16th Sept - Coldfeet - this could be a good one for you, as you could use Amsterdam as your back up race? Dan A - an impulse run for you maybe?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you're going to stick around.

I'm glad I posted in your directon now.

This ship of running fools has helped me immensly - can't believe that I'm still here. I only came here for a bit of advice.

Hopefully I can help motivate you a bit, we need more big fella's. Although you'll get back to 11 stone and be skinnier than me again.

CRAB
    I'm happy to change my avatar if you're fed up with it. Although it may upset fillies.
  • TR don't upset the fillies....attract them ... take your pick of fillies
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one,

I might have to do that. Reckon folks are probably fed up with the orange singlet by now.

Although, it helps the forum folks recognise me at races.

I tell folks to look for the big lad in the orange singlet and it works !!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi,

I never remember your legs needing recovery before you started all this poncy speedwork !!

Although it'll be you not me who posts a 34m xxs soon enough.
  • Boo

Been to the land of sheep sh...(wash)ers,

It was wet.

Got some nice mileage in though.

PS

It's not flat.

• Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Crabbie-It's great to see that you never miss an opportunity to drop-in the Yateley 10k gag......I'm still in mental turmoil you know.

As for my training plans(I'm sure you asked)I've signed up for the Leicester marathon in Oct so have just recently jumped into the P&D 18wk schedule.
    I have decided to concentrate all my efforts into going sub 2.45 (It may take more than a few attempts)
    I think that at the ripe old-age of 42 I'm never going to be a 10k whippet so I'll just play to my strengths.
    Still going to run the last 2 Yateley's but not expecting too much.......7k to beat!

What are your long term plans?

Coldfeet- Welcome to the sub 3 thread,It's great to hear that someone else suffers with a stitch.......Let me know if you find a permanent cure.
    I've been getting grief for a couple of years now.

Nice to see some old faces Do7 & NDO W (bit of an international playboy that one:o))
    Sorry cant help out with the Mablethorpe Mara but it sounds like a cunning plan.

Good luck to all the w/e racers especially Dan A on his little jaunt.

Had a bit of an emergency in the household tonight the bloody washing m/c packed up.I spent over an hour trying to fix it only to find out the programmer had gone tits-up.
    So £300 lighter in the pocket but the wifey is happy (i had to buy one tonight i was running out of shorts)
    So not long back from my 12 miler.....in fact i could say,

Still doing a bit.
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell, 2 days away and the fred sails through the 9000 mark with out so much as an 8998 8999 from Dull.

Good to see the folks training and racing hard. In Yorkshire to see brother-in-law who organised windermere marafun lark who'd had his first child. She is a cutie.

Heavy week on the session front and 2 rest days so far this week as a result. 17m in the morning should get me up over 40+ for the 4th week and first time since March for that so some consistency coming back into. Won't pace the pace as RB will throw me off!

Good Luck Dana gutted I missed the tip as nodoubt I would have had a ton on it. My OCD and all.

Some Good avatars.. Trying to find the old cinema one but can't get it to fit....

Gobi Got ur message. Will send u an fmail over next couple of days
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    TR - I was brainwashed at an impressionable age into following Bristol City. Cruel, cruel world. Still, count my lucky stars it wasn't Cardiff.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR, you are right in your comments about speed work, the more I do the more I have to run easy as recovery. Lets hope it works so I can get back to plodding and doing my Ultras. 6 days until my target 5km and 11 days until my target 10km.

I have been known as Gobi for many years and have only used 2 avatars. The present one which has stuck and a small red devil.(mad me feel like a man utd fan). I think my nickname and picture sum me up well.

One of the things I have found difficult over the years of the web is meeting people and discovering they are nothing like their Web personas
  • Gobi That's right cos actually I'm a pi$$ taking halfwit

DO7 With Ode talking of little 'uns (not Dull and n2)How's BO7? About time we had another Sub3 birth. Come on chaps pull your fingers out!!

GR Well I guess I need to get IMA out the way but then it's operation 245 in Berlin and unfortunately I'm on holiday for GSR (there's a free place going as a result) so the next thing would be a decent half sometime early next year in the build up to a leisurely FLM08. I just know there's gonna be another CDO fuelled IM next year that will be the main Tergat so FLM will just have to fall in.

Nice 90 minute sesh on the Mill done and dusted this am with some pleasing HR stats.

As you were.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Ode

17 miles - fair play to you. My longest run since March is only 12 miles.

GR
    I've a Bosch w/mchine that I'm nursing along - the programmer is on the way out - a new one is £260 - just for the programmer. Still it's done 8 years - of about 3 times a day.

Knee feels a bit better - hoping to bag a few later.

Gobi
    I'm really a well balanced, skinny whippet.

Njord
    I've been to one of the Bristol grounds - can't remembr which one though - it was ages ago.
    Can't afford to go nowadays - I'd have to take two little lads too. Cost me £50 ish last time for just me and the oldest lad.
  • with some pleasing HR stats

Did I really type that? I need to get out more. Professor Labcoat has ruined me. I used to be normal and just run a bit and enjoy it.

Sorry ladies can't contribute to the washing machine debate but I do find Fairy is kinder to my skin. Crikey TR you've been hanging out on the Handbags and Hairdos thread too much.

As you were.
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Flipperchecking in. CRAB I had a pretty good race at Windsor with 14th overall as there is still some guy shown in results that is wrong unless he managed a 28min 10k. Saw CM chatting to other pirates as he only got one nad out on the run. Fair play to him not long after Ironman warm up. Going in right direction and have my qualifier for World Champs in 2 weeks time in Wakefield. It's gonna be tough and may call for a 37min 10k off the bike. Here's footage someone posted on google videoof Windsor. CMis at 3.40 and I'm at 7.15 in the red yellow and black tri top.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CRAB
    No, I've just spent a bit of time repairing them over the years.

I rpelaced load of parts on my old one. but once the programmer finally gives up on this one - then I'll buy another one.

Decide to follow your advice and wear that HRM everytime until I get used to the F*ckin thing, just like my boxers !

I may have some hopefull pleasing data later.

My old printer needs £30 of new ink.
    Just bought a printer/copier/scanner that takes camera memory cards too for £50 instead.

Got to go and buy a new Cricket bat first though - kids eh !!

Last nights 20/20 at the Rose bowl went to the last ball. Hope my one next week is as good.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    "Sorry ladies can't contribute to the washing machine debate but I do find Fairy is kinder to my skin. Crikey TR you've been hanging out on the Handbags and Hairdos thread too much." - CRAB

Well, I must admit that, having been a bit worried about whether the sub-3 thread would be a bit scary and totally running-oriented, my mind has been put at rest. I have learnt more about horse racing and washing machines than running in the last few days.
  • You'll also notice we all want to be size zero super models too :-).

Quite a few of us on the comeback from rest etc now - TR, 007, GR, DoT, etc. Nice to see the focus coming back. Good luck with the 2:45 tergat and P&D GR - I like re-reading that book from time to time just to keep focus, even if I don't follow their plan. You and Ouch Ouch seem to have similar training mileage and tergats to myself. Am just getting back up to respectable mileage now, 70miles last week, going for same again this week.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Hey CRAB. The HRM is for my wife, rather than me. She doesn't find the standard one particularly comfortable....

I did manage to find some though, if anybody is interested. I think she's going to get one and try it, so if it does the biz I'll post up: http://www.healthchecksystems.com/mio_heart_monitors.htm

Bagged a pleasing 12 miler this morning. 1 mile warm-up, 10 @ tergat MP, 1 mile warm-down. Felt quite comfortable at MP too, which is a good sign.

Mileage is still working it's way up, but that made my current highest weekly total of 67. So far so good :-)

Gobi - what's your tergat 10k then?
  • NDO – unfortunately Mablethorpe is to far away (I am a south London boy), and negotiating weekend away from Kids for Amsterdam used up some of my limited “good husband capital” – whereas for Kent I can drive down on the morning.

Dug my heart rate monitor out this morning and managed a steady 12 miles at MP without it fluctuating (about 146) – however sounds like I need to build up the guts to find my Max HR (i.e. the running up hills + throwing up stuff)…maybe next week (or sometime soonish)
  • coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    CRAB - we have a sub-3 baby due 1st Aug (although if its like the other two it will keep us waiting for another 2 weeks).

Steady off-road 17.5M for me today in just under 2hrs. I hope DanA is having fun in the rain!
  • coldfeet - no problem; it was a long shot. I had initially planned on Amsterdam but my wife will be 22 weeks pregnant and I don't want her searching around Amsterdam A&E when I get post race cramp or anything else.

CRAB - 90 minutes on a treadmill...how do you manage not to get bored? I am climbing the walls after 40 minutes and not because the incline setting malfunctions - I would love to know the secret.
  • My washing machine finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago to. My uncle used to be a hotpoint engineer so he's talk me through all the fixes. I did load of jobs on it to keep it going for nearly 10 years. The new ones are not really built to be fixed anymore...they're considered somewhat of a disposable item. The recco from people in the know is to stick with 1400 spin speeds as the 1600's are not as reliable yet. (can't beleive i'm reccomending somethign as mundane as a washing machine...how the mighty fall eh...what has my life come to. Avoid washer dryers too !!)

B07 is 13 months old now...so we use our washing machine quite often too. Gagging to get out for a run but need to get the kids to bed first then me and the dog will be heading out the door for an 5-6 miler.

I seem to be copying NDO but in reverse. I'm flying off to the US myself tomorrow morning for a week and was in China (Beijing, Guangzhou and Hong Kong for 10 days a few weeks ago) NDO...you'll be best sticking to the comfort of an airconditioned hotel gym...it's right betty swollocks out there. 36 degC and 100% humidity.I'm hoping to get a 10 miler or so in as soon as land and can drive to a trail I know along the river just outside Cincinnati.

Any update on Dan A?
  • yeah, any update on Danny Boy?

Pug
  • I think the phrase you're looking for is built-in obsolescence.

Crikey people would rather talk about fckn washing machines than impending father/motherhood. WTF is all that about?

NDO There is no secret other than I need to run for 'x' @ 'y' in order to give myself the best shot at achieving any given Tergat so that's what I do. I see it as no different to CNBA to do this 10miler cos it's raining/I'm kanckered/I've had me tea etc. Just another step along the journey. The best thing is you know exactly what pace you're running and how it feels. However, what I have found is running for 90minutes at a constant pace is as dull as a debate about the relative merits of washing machine brands (but obviously not as dull as well...errDull) so the best thing is to speed up. You kind of look forward to cranking it up in 'x' mins. I cranked the handle after each 30mins this morning - in fact I wapped them both out for the final 12mins as a treat as I was having such fun. Think I once did >20miles on t'mill. Also break it up sometimes by doing 6mins NADS out and then tuck them away for a couple of mins when running a distance and repeat - so not deliberately a NADervals session cos the actual aim is to run say 10miles.(Probably helps if you're a bit menthol and a tad simple too I guess.)

Do7 Was thinking about the avatar in the week and have decided next time I decide on an overseas race I need to pick a country with a few more obvious national symbols/characteristics.

TT Well transpose the word G-Rope for Boxers and I think she'll get my message ;o)

jools If you're looking for running advice you're gonna be sooo disappointed this just aint that kind of fred.

As you were.
  • coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Pug - good to see you back