"Down Tow, Up Flow" Thames Towpath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Calire,

Thanks for that. Windsor will be fine for me as I just want something to change into for the train home.

Mono
  • Dear Clare Mac,

How many water stations will there be? The race details just say occasional. It would be good to know in advance in case it is a hot day
  • Dear Claire Mac,

How many water stations will there be? The race details just say occasional. It would be good to know in advance in case it is a hot day
  • Clare, very well done on your win at the midsummer monro, and team win as well.
  • Hi David, we are looking to have approx 7 water stations in all, so should be plenty for most people I think. If you drink more than that, probably best to take a water belt to be safe.

Cyberwebjaws - thanks very much, although I am suffering today - having to walk sideways down the stairs! Not as fit as last year because of injury, but glad to get the win :-). Were you there ..... how did you get on?
  • I finished in 2.37. I made it 2.36 as another team mate and I were still sorting out the team at signing on when they started the race. A complete cock up over runners names. Not the organisers fault.
    I walked up most of the hills apart from the really easy bits, I just wanted to finish. I would have liked to get under 2.30 but those steps just go on and on.

How far did you run up them?
  • Well done! It is certainly a very 'steep' learning curve isn't it? Are you going to return next year?

I didn't run up the steps at all really this year - last year I did run up the first half of the not so steep steps. Mind you, I only have little legs so it's a bit like high jump for me! But I did run up all the hills without steps. I am already planning to go back next year and try to better my time from last year - we must be mad!!
  • I might do it next year I'll see how things are going. The real nutters ran the Picnic 6000 feet of accent true madness.

If you fancy another half with 3000 feet of accent try the tough Challenge up Wendover Woods near Aylesbury in November. Organised by Ambition Events.

I was no where near as fit when I ran it in April and it took me 3.20, hopefully my only last place finish.
  • Claire,
    do we run through the grave-yard church at Cookham,and how do we get over the bridge at Maidenhead?
    Also,the footpath at the lock after the bridge has been closed for some time now.However there is a diversion around it.
  • When i said the bridge,what i really meant was the busy road,but you get my drift!!
  • hi there, yes you do go through the graveyard at Cookham. You do also go over the bridge at Maidenhead, although you do not need to cross the road here as there is a route that goes under the bridge and out the other side, therefore eliminating the road crossing (brilliant!). There is a diversion at Bray Lock, but this does not present any problems to runners and has been incorporated into the distance from the beginning - it is still 13.1 miles. Hope that answers your questions - please do feel free to come back to me if not, or call me of course.
  • By the way, there will not be any entries on the day now as we are definitely going to be full up by then :-). I am trying to get it changed on the main page, but having a few technical problmes getting it done!
  • I just entered online.

As an observation, I'd challenge anybody to take a wrong turn and get lost on this one!
  • ...or complain about lack of water!
  • Are you still accepting entries for this race? If so, we may be lured from our usual runs around Gloucestershire as this one sounds great. What is the race capacity?
  • No enteries on the day I'd better get my entry in then.

Runs off to get the cheque book.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Just entered!

Apologies if this is a thick question, but am I right in thinking that I can dump my bag at the start and collect back at Windsor? Or do I need to stow it at Windsor?

Given that the train arrives with 30 mins to spare, I'd prefer to leave it at Marlow if poss. Time might be tight.
  • Hi Ladyplodder, yes you can still enter online or by post at the moment, but we are almost full so be quick ...and you too cyberwebjaws!

Muttley - not a thick question, yes you can dump your bag at Marlow and it will be taken to the start.

Jeffsy - you are so right, although we won't be taking any chances and will be marking the route carefully :-)!

By the way - some race info is now up on our website www.purplepatchrunning.com
  • Claire, I posted my entry through your door today.
  • I got it and you're definitely in - see you there!
  • Really sorry to anyone who didn't make it, but the race is now completely full. If you didn't make it in, do keep an eye of our website as we have a few more races in the pipeline of a similar nature.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask as I will be keeping my eye on the forum. Otherwise, I'll see you there - please come up and say hello if you see me (I'll be the frazzled-looking female with the Purple Patch t-shirt on!).

I really hope you all enjoy the run - look forward to hearing about your experiences afterwards......
  • Claire,
    where abouts along the river do we finish?
  • We finish at Windsor Leisure Centre, just after the motorway bridge, on the Leisure Centre side (don't worry, you don't have to cross the road - you go up one side and down the same side, under the tunnel and you're there).
  • Damn, serves me right for carrying the completed entry form around in my bag for 3 weeks without actually sending it in. Oh well, good luck everybody.
  • Just been looking at the course map. How do we get over the river at Bourne End? Its 15 years since I lived down that way and I'm sure it was just a railway bridge then. Is there a foot bridge now or should I be prepared to re-live my teenage years by legging it across the railway bridge when there is no train coming?:)
  • hi

I am in. When do we receive a race pack with number?

Thank you
  • John, there is a foot bridge next to the railway bridge.
  • Excellent, I won't need to practice my swimming then....although, looking at the weather maybe I should!
  • Hi there Viktoria, you should receive your race number any day now as they were posted out on Wed/Thurs.

JohnB - as cyberwebjaws says there is indeed a footbridge, although we would have loved to see you swim it :-)!