Options

Sea swimming

I'm thinking of doing some swimming in the sea but am a bit of a wuss.

Any advice on how I avoid swimming into jelly fish or other wildlife - will they move? will they sting? Anyone any experience of this?

I shall be in a cossie - no wet suit.

Comments

• Options
    Mrs Pig where will you be swimming in the sea???? Is this UK sea?? I stepped into a sea urchin in the Red Sea and got stung by jelly fish in the Caribbean, but never anything nasty over here???
  • Options
    UK.

There was a big one in there tonight.
  • Options
    LOL,
    Just wait until Dr Nic sees this thread!

nothing nasty over here..?!

Lots of jellies, weaver fish....
  • Options
    Quite!

I know there's plenty of nasty things - how do I avoid them

It's really putting me off
  • Options
    Wear those plastic sandal things to avoid weaver fish - jellyfish aren't too bad over here in the UK but deadly elsewhere. I would wear swimming goggles, keep your eyes open and watch for warnings on the beach.

But most of all don't worry about it - they won't kill you and chances of a sting are quite remote.

Article in the Sunday Telegraph today about sea-borne meances and you're probably more likely to get food poisoning or probs with sewage in the UK. Stick to Blue Flags and you should be fine.
  • Options
    Jellyfish are a good source of energy.

Raspberry are especially tasty.
  • Options
    It's sucking one in, as I breathe that's particularly freaking me out!
  • Options
    Mrs P there is absolutely no chance of that happening! ;-)
  • Options
    I swam in the sea a fair bit last year, off Norfolk.

I think you just have to not think about what might be out there (whether natural or man-made).

Perhaps Hannibal Lector's mask might see off the jellyfish but there are still the giant squid waiting to carry you off to the depths ....
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    baby ones are very VERY teeny.
  • Options
    It's spelled walrus, Mrs Pig
  • Options
    Hello!

The only thing I've ever really come into contact with is jellyfish. No they won't move out of your way as they go with the current, they haven't really got eyes and brains and stuff like fish (I'm so scientific, me...)

However, I honestly don't think jelly stings are THAT bad. It's really like a nettle sting (or like walking through a bunch of nettles, depending on the amount of jellies). So - just get on with it, really. Accept that they MAY be there (but equally may not), swim round them if you happen to see them (but you probably won't) and just know that they can't harm you unless you have a reaction to the sting.

Be aware that warm weather and still, shallow water is where you'll encounter them most. As for what to do - antihistamines I guess? (I don't know for definite but it would make sense)

I've never come across anything else swimming in UK sea. Fish are undoubtably there but will be more frightened of you and will keep out of your way.

Have fun and enjoy the lovely sea! Will you swim in a wetsuit or not? If not, just be aware of the signs of hypothermia just in case. :-)
  • Options
    Thank you.

No wetsuit - just cossie and goggles.

Hypothermia - shivering? goosebumps and blue lips?

:-)
  • Options
    I'll take a mirror for the lips

Seriously thank you -that's the sort of advice I needed. I'm quite happy to run through nettles so will just forget the whole jellyfish issue. I had had visions of agonising stings etc so this will be fine.

Of course if I die I shall ask my estate to sue ;-)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    eeee - she's tough, our Nic.
    ;o)

<<<<atchly, Mrs Pig, rumour has it that Dr Nic did say a few Rude Words as she was going through some jelly fish on the way to France once...>>>>
  • Options
    Urine is the treatment for jellyfish stings I am told.
  • Options
    Well let's hope they don't sting my face then
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [waits patiently for Coops or DM to arrive...]
  • Options
    Sorry I've just seen you said no wetsuit. Good for you but take it steady, don't push it if you feel cold - acclimatisation can take a while even if you think "It can't be that cold, it's July" (or whatever). It doesn't take much for hypothermia to occur, so learn the signs and be honest with yourself. It shouldn't take too many swims before your body adapts. :-)
  • Options
    Thank you Dr Nic

Jj ???? Why ???

Have they special ointment for stings on the face??
  • Options
    so hypothermia, posible jelly fish stings and by all accounts a disgusting taste?

Is there anyway you can avoid this or is this pleasure?
  • Options
    If you don't want to wear a wetsuit, you can buy a "reef suit" - this is worn by scuba divers in warm water where a wetsuit isn't needed and it has no bouyancy- it is a lycra type material full body cover and is worn to give protection against jellyfish and coral abrasion.
  • Options
    Jj, the rude words were more in frustration at just how many there were - I was wondering if I'd ever get through the 'patch' :-D

Mrs P, happy to help :-)
  • Options
    Mild hypothermia - ie core body temp dropped to 35.5*C at the most - shivering which you can't control, loss of blood circulation (and probably most feeling) to hands/feet, inability to perform complex motor functions.

Those might not sound too bad (cold hands and feet, a bit of shivering, unable to do your shoelaces up) but the reason it's important to recognise it is that then you can prevent yourself from going into further stages of hypothermia, which are more serious and harder to spot - because one of the signs of them is the loss of ability to reason and to communicate properly!
  • Options
    Sorry - I mean "core temperature dropped at 35.5*C at the lowest". ie could be anywhere between normal and 35.5*C. What do you mean you don't carry a rectal thermometer in your swim bag?! (just kidding)
  • Options
    So jellyfish stings......... urinate on them and swim with rectal thermometer. Do I move the mirror around whilst swimming to check on my blue lips and the thermometer or have one for each area?
  • Options
    Yep this thread is really helping me to get into that water.........
  • Options
    You can check the colour of your skin by looking in the reflection of the shiny bit at the end of the thermometer every time you check it ;-)

Seriously though it is only about being aware and sensible - not scared or nervous. It's only like you'd need to be aware about...dunno...weather/hypothermia if you were planning on going on long hill walks in somewhere cold. It's just being prepared and armind yourself with knowledge. That way - sod's law - you'll probably never need it anyway!
  • Options
    If I remember correctly the shiny bit will be blue if it's labelled correctly :-D

I'm not put off any more than I was before I started this thread. In fact the jelly fish issue was the big one and your comments have helped hugely (nettles = no problem)