Mersea Round The Island

looking for races to fit in with my autumn Marathon schedule.

This one seems to fit the bill, but what does the entry limit of 300 teams mean?

Comments

• Hi Bob --

I think they mean 300 people, not teams. I did the race last year -- great fun, except for the BLISTERINGLY hot weather. And the tide was out the whole time, so the mud was a bit stinky.

It's a really good mix of beach, trail and sea wall. Only criticism is that the seawall is very narrow for quite long stretches making overtaking impossible...not a bad thing considering the heat/sun, but if you're impatient, you might get irritated.

Have a look here:

www.merseaislandraces.co.uk/index.htm

Highly recommended.

J
  • A few people have said this is really tough? Have only done a couple of 1/2's before one was very hilly and hot the other was very flat, hail stones and strong winds so will this be too much for a realtive newbe?
  • No, I don't think so at all. It's pretty much completely flat other than the points at which you have to get up off the beach to the road and then the (low) sea wall which is actually more of a levee.

The only things I found tough about it were the heat -- it was somewhere around 30 degrees that day and there's NO shade, and the bits on the beach. I haven't done much running on sand, so found it a bit of a challenge. That said, it's only the start that's on loose sand and that doesn't last that long before you go up onto a road. Toward the end you're back on the beach a bit, but last year the tide was out so you could go out on the harder sand. Even with the tide in I don't think it'd trouble anyone too much.

I really enjoyed this race. Interesting landscape, odd non-standard distance, runners of ALL levels. Despite the heat and feeling like I took it really easy, I was only 5 mins behind my 1/2 mara PB. Only thing tough about it really is that quite long stretches are on paths that in last summer's heat had baked very hard and lumpy, so if you only ever run on roads it's a bit harder, but no biggie.

I'm doing it again this year -- go for it!
  • Thanks for that I am going to try and go do some running off road and across sand to practice, just so its not a big shock and I have an idea what to expect. All being well I will give this one a go thanks again. Good luck for the day everyone.
  • Be prepared for the stiles!

I remember this race from a couple of years back, I assume the stiles are still there, can come as a bit of a shock if your not ready to break your pace to climb over. Good fun though, might do it again this year if I can get a lift from Chelmsford.
  • Good Luck to all that do this one. Got to work now so can't do it. Am signed up for the Darford Half though so training for that one. Want to raise money for blood pressure association give me incentive to face all those hills and that heat again.
  • Good Luck to all that do this one. Got to work now so can't do it. Am signed up for the Darford Half though so training for that one. Want to raise money for blood pressure association give me incentive to face all those hills and that heat again.
  • My 17 year old had his first half marathon today in the howling wind and rain in West Mersea!! It was hard but fun and it has set him on the road for many more marathons ahead. He wants to run for charity and would like to find more runners in his age group!

He said it was a fantastic experience and was happy to finish it within the first 100 people! Very tired now though! Thanks to Mersea Lions for their support and encouragement! He looks forward to more races ahead!
  • My Garmin measured it at 12.2 miles, so not quite a half marathon.

Great effort all the same!
  • Well done to all that braved the weather to do this one. I was too much of a wimp for this one, beach and mud not my thing maybe next year? Will be up for the 10miler though may see you there.
  • anyone seen the results? they dont seem to have updated the website yet.