Getting Started 2

Hi Guys

It seems I've been absent from this thread - sorry :)

So how am I getting along..? Well, in the last week I've run 6.5 miles. This seems pretty dismal but it's been 4 occasions and split pretty evenly. I was running with the dog on Thursday evening though and he ran into my knee (right) and I semi-twisted it. So I'm resting it at the moment. Not running until Sunday and even then if it's still sore - I'm not running.

I'm finding my breathing is fine - I remember when I started a few weeks ago my lungs felt like they were on fire by the end of my first couple of jog/walks. But now I'm not even short of breath when I finish my 2 miles which is run with only one or two walking breaks of around 30 seconds to a minute.

Really the only problems I'm having are some minor aches and pains after running and each time it's a different thing. I'm making sure I warm up properly - I use the step machine for 20-30 mins (depends how I'm pushed for time) before I go out and I stretch after stepping but I still end up with aches and pains. The pains so far have encompassed obviously the knee pain from the bash with the dog, aching under right heel bone, outer muscle of lower right leg, inner muscle of lower right leg and minor shinsplints. The shinsplints aren't as bad as they were, in fact the left leg is fine and fine on recovery but I seem to get all these aches and pains on the right side for some reason. If anyone has any ideas why I'd be interested to hear them. (I did buy new shoes).

I decided to start doing some weight training at the gym because I saw a post from someone who mentioned that training the muscles helps with stability and reduces risk of injury - which makes perfect sense when you think about it. So I'm trying that. Did I mention, joined a gym too and went everyday this week - it's going to be a week day thing though because it's near work. Also might not be as regular the next two weeks - I'm on holidays so less gym time, more running time.

I abandoned the beginners schedule - I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere plus I was losing track of where I was upto. So I pushed the boat out early last week and ran for 20 mins in one stretch - which I've tried to maintain with more or less some degree of consistency even though I do end up doing different distances (less than a mile and half on one occasion). Also it isn't as easy to run with the dog as I first found - I think it's because I'm having less walking breaks so I've found I'm running and then taking the dog out for his walk when I've finished! So punishing myself with a 2 mile run and 3 mile walk :)

Diet-wise I've had some mishaps this week... in the form of cadbury's milk chocolate and crisps but on the whole not too bad I don't think although the weight hasn't shifted. I'm feeling fitter but there still isn't less of me :)

I think I'm doing okay. I'm not sure I'll be ready to run this 5K thing in September (8th) but I'll have a go and I'll probably end up walking most of it :)

Comments

• SOunds like you're doing well Cath - apart from the dog incident :o)

I think I might try somethign gentler for the warm up though - 20 minutes on the step machine is potentially going to give your quads a major bashing. I generally do a few minutes on the recline bike on a pretty easy session, then stretch, then do whatever exercise I'm going to do, and then stretch again (holding them for longer) at the end. Ask the staff at the gym - I don't really want to advise too much.

Keep an eye on the various niggles - they could be just your legs reacting to your starting running, or something more serious which you'll need to tackle. The lower right leg thing is interesting - if it keeps up then maybe some sort of professional advice - unless anyone else has got any ideas? My niggles tend to be one or other side of a leg - both sides at once isn't something I've come across.

5k is only just over three miles, so you're not that far off now - I reckon you'll run most (if not all) of it :o)
  • Whoops - forgot to say - even Paula Radcliffe admits to eating chocolate (see this months issue of Health and Fitness magazine).

My experience of satrting to exercise again was that my weight didn't change at first - I gained muscle, which made up for the fat I was losing. The numbers on the scales were disappointing, but I was changing shape. Plus of course, you're getting fitter anyway - hence you're not having as much trouble with the breathing now.

Kepp it up - it sounds to me as if you're doing fine :o)
  • Hi Cathy. Thanks for the update. Sounds like you've thrown yourself into training wholeheartedly.

Aches and pains are inevitable on starting any training programme, especially at the stage where your cardiorespiratory fitness starts to outstrip your leg muscle capacity (or when you start doing enough to get carried away on a wave of endorphins). The fact that they're all on the right side could be down to biomechanics or to the great god Coincidence. Might be worth having a gait assessment.

Be careful, though. It is all too easy (I know - I've done it) to feel that the beginners' schedules aren't letting you do as much as you think you can do, and to take off on an accelerated scheme which involves pushing yourself close to your limits. That's when proper injuries happen. Don't be tempted to train every day. The training effect takes place on REST days as your muscles recover from the stress of the last session, and piling in more training on rest days just delays the process. For Paula Radcliffe, a rest day might be 10 miles at marathon pace. Some of the experienced runners on this forum do "recovery" or "maintenance" runs and call that a rest day. For the likes of you and me at this early stage in our training, a rest day is just that - sitting on our butts.

Better to arrive at September 8th slightly undertrained than tired and injured.

Enjoy your holiday!

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Iain -- I have to use the stepper for 20mins to really warm up because otherwise I end up with the most god awful leg pains when I start running. I find that the warm ups they advise atthe gym (5-10mins on the recumbent bikes) don't really warm me up at all. Maybe it's just me and my system is a little slower than most people's..?! I don't know but I find I run better when I've done at least 20mins warm up and don't worry - it's always on the easiest settings and besides I don't struggle with it. Plus, I've got huge quads anyway, I used to cycle the 20 miles to work each day (many moons ago) and back again.

re: right sided leg pains -- not always at the same time, usually it's either the outer muscle or the inner muscle that's hurting not both at the same time. I think as V-rap said, it's just coincidence but I'm keeping an eye on it.

V-rap. Thanks for that. I do think it's only a coinicidence. I've trained hard this week but I think half of that has been to put other things out of my mind... I don't know I seemed to embark on this "if I try to get as healthy as I can then the lump won't be all that bad to deal with if its a nasty" thing. I know that sounds ridiculous and I ought to know better but there you go. Sometimes I think reason and common sense lose out to plain old fear :) Anyway, I'd already defined my marker - I can run either 2 miles or 20 mins whichever comes first and I've only done that 4 times this week. Plus, I don't intend increasing that until I'm good and ready and comfortable with it. I'm realising that the body needs a rest and I'm paying attention to that (honest I am). The knee feels much better this morning and I'm going out to buy a new support (like blue knees) for it today. I shouldn't need it but I want to support the knee whilst I'm building up my muscle strength. As for the other training well, I'm doing that for the low-impact cardio fitness and weight loss and seem to be getting there. With my holidays looming and a huge garden to straighten out I doubt I'll have time for the gym anyway :)
  • Just a thought - are you running on a heavily cambered road? and does the side of the aches vary depending on which side of the road you are running?

I find if I run to the right of the centre I have no shin splint problems and to the left then I get right shin problems. I assume this is because the camber one side stops the over pronation in my right leg and on the other increases the problem.

In general I try to mix it up, but tending to favout the right has definitely helped.
  • Hi Mij

No, I run either on a treadmill or in parkland (grass & trail). I think it's possibly just starting pains (I had them in the left leg too but that leg has cleared up).
  • Interesting Mij's comment about the cambered road. I did a long run (13.5 miles) on a heavily cambered road and had awful pains in my glutes on the one side for a couple of days afterwards. I'm more careful about running towards the middle on cambered roads now.
    Well done, Cath, on your progress. If you are having difficulties keeping track of where you are with a programme, why not mark up a calendar with your next month's schedule and hang it somewhere convenient, then tick off each day as you do it?
  • Hi Cath, Really pleased to hear your updates. I can't wait to hear what's happening to you a few months down the line. You've done so well already and seem to have the commitment to be in it for the long term so it will be great to hear how you get on.

I wanted to write what V-Rap wrote. Rest is when it all happens. The best thing about running is that it doesn't take so long compared to other sports and then you can lie around and think about how much fitter and stronger you're getting just sitting on your arse watching the tv. It's great.

Re road cambers: I am better running on a road that slopes down to the left as my left leg runs longer than my right due to a rotated pelvis and otherwise I get minor shin-splints in my left leg.
  • I'm with you about warming up on the steppy rather than the bike, Cath - like you, I used to cycle a lot as a mode of transport, and I've always enjoyed a good hill-walk, so my calves are about as wide as the average distance-runner's waist. Besides, I can read a magazine on the steppy...

Cheers, V-rap.
  • V-rap -- that really made me laugh!! I had my fitness mags over the step counter on my machine this week :) I think the stepper kind of makes me work a little bit harder than the bike but not so much so that I'm too knackered to actually work out. Plus, I do think my system takes a while to warm up -- I'm slow and sluggish like that!

Running muppet -- well, I'd like to think I'm in it for the long haul. We'll see. I certainly have the enthusiasm for it. I suppose it's a compromise between that and trying not to overdo things too soon. I'm trying to be sensible.

Dangly Spice -- I was wondering whether that might be my problem. It seems funny it's only the right leg gets sore but we'll see. I have really pushed myself this week. If it doesn't start clearing up whilst I'm off work I'm off to see a running physio. Oh and good idea with the calendar - I've got some Winne Pooh Calendar software (favourite character - it's all coming out now) so I can make that myself and put it on the wall.

More update: Today I was supposed to go to the health club yoga class but I bottled it because I was shattered. I stayed in bed until midday!! I didn't get in last night until 3am -- although I have to say I wasn't drunk (I drank 3 litres of water) so I was slightly merry maybe and I think in total I had about 5 alcoholic drinks the whole evening. BUT I'm toying with the idea of "cross training" today -- that is the garden needs straightening up ... and I mean NEEDS it :) But also the gym is open until 9pm so I might go there later if I don't get the garden started. I had intended running today but I can still feel the knee twinging when I get up - I was thinking about "running through" the pain but decided it isn't worth it. I'll try tomorrow.
  • Okay so I'll post here instead of the training forum for yesterday seeing as how it was so late when I got home from the gym.

You would not believe the day I had yesterday. It started out with me posting here my intentions - gardening and then gym and relaxing evening in. Didn't work out like that.

Managed to finally get my backside into gear at around 11am - started the gardening after going to B&Q for compost. Mowed my huge lawns (which was okay) and the minute I turned the mower off it started raining (again) so the weeding and hoeing etc has had to wait... I was going to say until today until I just looked outside and the skies are looking dodgy again.

Anyway, finished the gardening for the day after lunch. Took the dog for a walk and then decided to go to the gym. Arrived in Liverpool at 5pm (just as everyone was leaving, great!) and decided to park the car at work (Uni car park).

Did really well at the gym:
    What: Full-on taining session -- 30mins stepper; 30mins treadmill - did 4.1Km in 30mins (not sure if this is good but works out at 11min miles which I think is okay for a beginner) anyways to say I was pleased to run for 30mins with no twinges from the knee was an understatement... I was dead chuffed; rowed 1000m; cycled 5Km and assorted weights and ab training - concentrated on upper and lower legs to support knees. Anyways, I finished in the gym at 7pm.
    Why: In training for corporate cup and haven't run since last Thursday.
    Last hard day: Thursday.
    Last Rest day: All weekend.

Anyways, left the gym at 7:15pm and walked back to the car. What did I find when I got there..? The Uni car park was locked - like 6ft iron spiked fencing locked and bolted with my little Mini inside it. I panicked... phoned the Mr told him I wa sstanding in the middle of Liverpool with no money, no car and no way to get home. Tried to phone the Uni - no answer only the clearing hotline number. At this point my stress levels had gone through the roof.

The Mr arrives 45 mins later and tells me we have to get the car out of the car park somehow because he'd left his wallet in it and forgot to mention it. So the car would have been okay to leave overnight if not for this. To say I was floored was an understatement!! When I asked him how long the wallet had been there without my knowing - he says "Since Saturday night"!!!! How much worse could the day get. By this time it's getting on for 8:15 and I'm starving and he's irritable and starving. We then have to drive the 20 or so miles home to get the University directory so we can get hold of the emergency 24 hour security number. We ring them. The guy says "yep, no problem I'll get someone to you when you get there". We then drive all the way back to Liverpool and wait 40 mins for the security guard to arrive and I finally get my car out of the car park. I ask him since when did they start locking it..? "They always lock it at 7pm" I explain I didn't know that. He says he didn't think a nice new motor would be intentionally left there all night. At which point I could have screamed because the car is displying my ID number for car parking - which is done through the computer facilities - where they hold all the details of contacts etc. Why didn't they just ring and say "when you need to get your car let us know". Grrrr.

So we finally arrive home at getting on for 10:30pm after having to call at Pizza Hut for "dinner" because I'd intended going to the supermarket on my way home from the gym. So take away it was and pizza at that ... all that stress and all that hard work wasted :(

What an awful day. BUT, I did run for 30mins and the knee is okay today and I did run 4.1Km and my target is 5K :)
  • Hi All

I discovered Runners World, and subscribed to it a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been reading all the messages in the forum and I think its graet the way everyones seems to encourage and motivate each other.

So I thought I would say Hi and maybe join this running community!!!

I have been a recreational runner and a regular gym goer for about 5 years. I particpated in my first race earlier this year .....(Race For Life 5k), and would like to take this running thing further.

I have since registered to do the 10k Rainforest Run in November..is anyone else doing that???

Any advice or training tips would be great!!!
  • Hi Tommy Girl, How did you get on with your Race For Life 5k? Welcome by the way.

Cath, I was about to reply to your message just to say sorry to hear of your awful day and congrats big time on your 30 min run. However, Mini RM has just awoken and is grinning at me so I'm off now for the rest of the day... Bye for now.
  • hi cath

it sounds like you are where i was a month ago. in may i starting training (jogging once a week)for the race for life in july. i did that and have decided to keep going! so far i've slowly been increasing my milage and can jog for 50 minutes/4.5miles which i'm pretty pleased with!

i'm also trying to lose some weight - have been doing weightwatchers for the last 17 weeks and have so far lost 16.5 lbs. i want to lose another 40lbs or so though so it's going to take a while!

anyway, just wanted to say how interesting it is to read someone else starting to run - thanks for that!
  • Hi Running Muppet

Thanks for the welcome! I enjoyed Race for Life. I did it in 27 mins, I try to run 3 miles reguarly 3 times a week now. Sometines its hard to get up at 6 in the mornings!

I am trying to reduce my time. I have figured out that I need something to work towards to motivate me which is why I have entered the Rainforest Run in November.

• Tommy Girl -- Hi there. ,ust have misse dyour post earlier. I started out trying to run at 6 in the morning (when no one else was around) but that soon fizzled out. I go ealry afternoon now - when all the other runners are out.

Running Muppet -- Do you know whether 4.1K in 30mins is any good for a beginner..?!

Susannah -- Hiya. I started the "Getting Started" thread which eventually got too big and so we pushed it over into 2 threads. There are loads of us who have all started to get back into running at the same time. I think most of us are also hoping to lose weight too. How did you do with the Race for Life..? I want to do that in my home town next year (this years has gone) ... I found a lump a week or so ago which is being investigated so it kind of kick started me into thinking about it.

Forumites -- I've made a startling discovery. Smoothies. I bought a Kenwood food mixer today and fruit and skimmed milk = great filling drink which is really really good for you :)
  • i did the race for life in southampton this year. i've done it for the last three years and my times have been 34mins 1999, 30mins 2000, ill in 2001, 33mins 2002 but the last time was a bit altered because i didn't get to run (kind of just shuffled slowly!) for the first 5 minutes cause there were so many people plus it was really hot that day. it's really good fun to do as there's no pressure, lots of people doing it and lots of support.
    anyway, normally i start to run two months before do the race then give up till the next year. this time i've decided to keep going! i've been thinking about doing the london marathon in 2003 - i've always wanted to do it and really feel that if i build up the milage slowly i can do it - but we'll see!
    i hope the lump doesn't turn out to be anything too bad.
    by the way - i love the idea of the smoothie. have you got any good recipes? i have a bit of a fruit problem, ie i don't eat any and never have. maybe this could be a way in?
  • Hello Cath, Ssuannah and anyone else

Great to keep reading everyone's updates.

Hope I'm not too old to join in at 35!! Only started running last year and am hooked. Am doing a Half Marathon in October so am training hard.

I did our local race for life and it was a fantastic experience. About 2,500 took part and I finished in 32 mins. Which was pretty good as I'd just finished some antibiotics for bronchitis!

Go for the marathon Susannah.

All for now Helen
  • Can I join in too?

I made a new year's resolution this year to lose weight and get fit. Lost most of the weight I want to through dieting and going to the gym and am now trying to get back into running. (A few years back I shuffled round the Robin Hood 1/2M at snail's pace, but since them have been mostly vegetating).

I've targetted a local 10K at the beginning of December to train for and so far am running about 20-30 minutes, three times a week.

Like Susannnah, I also have dreams about doing the London Marathon - am I being unrealistic?

Wise Owl
  • Wise Owl -- Not at all unrealistic!!! My main aim is to get fit enough to do a marathon. I'm a long way from that yet but I'll keep training until I am I think.... as I said to running muppet a few days ago, I'm enthusiastic and I hope I'm in for the long haul. I've set my goal to do a marathon before I'm 35.

Susannah -- Like Helen said, I think you should aim for what you think you are capable of. My motto in life is "you'll never know unless you try". Oh and tell me about the fruit thing. I hate the stuff ... borng apples and oranges, bananas and grapes ... ugh! Anyway, today's experiment consisted of 5 chopped strawberries (I think that is equivalent to 1 serving), 1 chopped banana, 1 chopped pear and about 200mls of skimmed milk - put in the food mixer until it's all smooth. Tomorrow I'm going to try banana, pear and apple. It seemed okay I only made enough for one drink and so there was no waste and I've now had 4 of my 5 portions of fruit and veg (had a huge salad at lunch time). I think it'll come in handy for making fresh soup as well :)

Helen -- Hi!! welcome welcome!!! Not too old at all. I think we're the 25-41 club at the moment (I think someone wanted in who was 41 - can't remember). So am I right in saying Race for Life is 5K..? In 32 mins..? Susannah did hers in 30 mins in 2000 too! I doubt I'll be able to run that fast - I'm only just managing 11 minute miles. Oh and re: snail's pace -- that's me that is :)
  • Smoothies - ha! I shall get Kevin the Teenager to log on and tell you her best milkshake recipes (I think it needs to be made with yogurt to be a smoothie). She's a whizz with the hand-held whizzer. The healthier ones I can think of are:
    - Half a tin of strawberries in light syrup (including the liquid) and about 250ml of skimmed milk. Apparently tinned strawberries make much nicer milkshakes than fresh ones.
    - One large ripe banana, one teaspoonful of honey (we used golden syrup when Kevin was vegetarian during Lent) and as much milk as it takes to make the right consistency. This would also work well with mangoes, but NOBODY gets to make mush out of mangoes in my house. I love fruit just as it comes.

My 4-year-old loves chocolate hazelnut milkshake made with a couple of dollops of Nutella, and banoffee toffee made with bananas and dulce de leche go down well too, but I don't suppose they count as healthy. Adding evaporated milk does wonders for the consistency if it's a bit thin.

For real decadence, throw in a couple of scoops of ice-cream before blending. Liz Applegate suggests making thickened milkshake with crushed ice and skimmed milk powder, but that sounds to me like the sort of tip you'd find on a pro-anorexia website.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • On the smoothies thing, I get frozen red berries and add them to freshly squeezed orange juice and one banana and use the berries straight out of the freezer - the banana makes it thick and the berries make it ice cold and it is sooo yummy. I used to spend a fortune on smoothies at my posh gym which had a Juice Moose juice bar. The first thing I got myself when I started maternity leave was a blender so I could make my own.
  • Tommy Girl, when you first start out, all the advice is not to worry about times too much to start off with as the speed happens all by itself without you having to worry about it. Just increase the miles and time spent running gradually.

Cath, your time for 4.1k is really brilliant. You are improving really well all the time. Just being able to run for 30 minutes non-stop is no mean feat and makes you fitter than most of the UK population.

Wise Owl, You are most definitely not being unrealistic. On this website somewhere is an article called the 10 rules of Marathon Running. Rule One is preparation and here I quote: 'Sub-4:30 runners ought to be able to run comfortably three or four times a week by the start of the schedules; (For FLM, this would mean by the end of December) and if you’ve never run before, your priority by Christmas is to get used to jogging for 20-30 minutes non-stop by building up gradually from a combination of walking and jogging three times a week, with a five-mile walk at the weekends.
  • i've decided to run a 10 mile race at the end of october as a bit of a goal - i need to have something to focus on or i just let it all slip. so that gives me two months to get the milage up - completely doable i reccon. i'm not going to worry about times in any of this - just getting round is the aim.

i just read the article on run/walking where it advises you should run for nine minutes then walk for one - does anyone do much of this? i've been concentrating on running without stopping, no matter what - maybe run/walking is more constructive?
  • I'm not as structured time-wise as that, Susannah, but on my regular runs I stop running and walk instead at predetermined landmarks (a postbox, the start of a hill, turning a particular corner...) and find I can continue running for longer than if I just pelt along until I run out of steam.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Running Muppet: Thanks.I am just going to focus on getting out there and running, and try some speed work,which I haven't tried very much yet and let the time take care of itself.

Cath: Hi! I'l give the evening runs a try and see how that goes...

Wise owl: Hi! I am doing a 10k in November...what's you training schedule like??
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hi Cath - great to hear of your progress on the training forum and here. I was "Fiomac" a bit before and had another face!! Sorry to hear about the car thing, sounds like something that would happen to me.

Hi again Running Muppet!

Welcome Tommy Girl and Susannah! On the question of running nonstop or walk-running - all I can say is that from my experience they seem to be 2 different goals that only become compatible when you progress a bit. For example, I can run for quite a long time (well, 15 mins is a long time for me!) without stopping if I run slowly and only have to do it once. Trying to up that gradually. But if trying to get round a longer distance (e.g. 5k+), I have learned that I am better pacing myself with MUCH more frequent run/walk intervals.

Having said that, I am starting to feel like all the "beginners" who started at the same time as me or even since have well overtaken me. As people have probably heard me moaning about elsewhere, I am having great trouble committing fully enough to the running and my taekwon-do training at the same time (plus the minor detail of work, dog and husband - thank God no kids, I couldn't cope!). Is a bit demoralising, but trying to keep my chin up and motivated, 'cos I know what I'm doing running-wise is a MAJOR achievement for me.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or thoughts on my 2-sport dilemma? Perhaps I should be more realistic about how fast I should expect to progress. :(

• Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Mmm the smoothies thread is making me thirsty...be right back...
  • Fiona -- hi there hon. I was thinking about taking up Kick-boxing but seeing your problems with TKD I think I'll take a raincheck! Oh and re - progress, not today. Had a really bad run this evening (Training thread).
  • Hi everyone!
    Thought it was about time I made a contribution to this forum as I've been following it for a couple of days now but have not been brave enough to add anything!
    I'm new(ish) to running - I trained for four weeks and did the Race for Life in June. I did it at a slow jog (even the walkers were overtaking me!) and it took me almost an hour, but it's the first race I've evr entered and I felt very proud to have finished.
    I've been attending a gym off and on for 18 months, and I'm now determined to go regularly as well as running, as I have a dodgy knee and I've found that doing the weights has improved it.
    However, I feel I need some advice. I can now run for 25 mins. In the schedule I have, training is for three days and the others are rest days. However, I've seen conflicting advice about whether or not to run every day. I don't want to do too much too soon and get injured, but I do want to feel I'm pushing myself a little. Also, should a gym session be in addition to running (eg on a rest day) or take the place of a running session? I'd be grateful for any input!
    (PS Definitely want to try some smoothies!)