Wednesday 4th July

Morning all

Really struggled to think of lyrics but wanted to post!!! how sad am I?!!

What: 5 recovery
Why: hard session yesterday
Last hard: yesterday
Last rest: Monday

Had handbag stolen last night whilst out running with club. People these days - I don't know!

Hope all those on the sick bench are feeling a little better with the new day dawning!

Have a good one all!

Comments

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Back from the mountains,weather was horrible. Only back at the office on Monday, a bad day at home beats a good day at work.

I am a terrible 'swimmer',I don't swim,just refuse to drown.

SiT - Sorry to hear about the injury,hope you get this problem sorted.

Melli,Podro,Holly - Good luck at IMA. Hope I haven't missed anyone.

Peter G - Good HM.

What: 10K
    Why: Ticking over
    Last hard: Running at 3500M above sea level. It was torture.

Have a good day.
  • morning,

that's just such a horrible thing to happen nutty. did you leave it in the car or the changing rooms? not just that someone has your personal stuff but having to replace cards, phone etc - major bother

got your lyrics but i thought someone might pop in early with bruce's 4th july astbury park (sandy)

nice to hear the new placement is going well brumliz

just heard alan johnson has been released

what - 4 miles easy
    why - just some aerobic miles, easy day
    last hard - 3 days
    last rest - 2 days
  • Morning - thanks for kind words.

Have my bone scan in two parts this am. So should have answer by end of week.

To those who asked can I find out what is causing this. Have tried everything I can possibly think of i.e. blood tests, bone density scans, analysis of calcium levels, analysis of gait, orthotics, regular physio and massage. Conclusion: I and nobody else seems to have a clue what is causing this all.

I also tried the minimalist approach running in NB 150s and 205s and there instead of havign a stress fracture on my tibia (5 of those so far expecting 6th to be confirmed this week), I had a stress fracture on my metarsal which ruined our trip to Font Romeu for some training and walking as could not walk never mind run!!

What does seem clear is injury always comes when my mileage gets above 70 miles per week.

If anybody has any other suggestions/thoughts on avenues to explore, input gratefully received.

Thankfully I am not too down at all of this partly as I have been through this so (too) often before.

Simon

• morning,

v.sorry to hear that nutty, hope there was nothing too personal in there

healing vibes to all on sick list at moment

another dry and sunny morning down here, though clouds and wind building up - more showers on the way

what - 8 miles including 4x800 strides hard
    why - because i felt good after yesterday
    last hard - this morning
    last rest - sunday

good news about alan johnson, just read that on the BBC website.

happy runnings all
  • SiT - I hope you mean that the scan is in two parts, rather than the leg, otherwise I think even I could diagnose the problem! I can imagine that 70+ miles a week may be a touch hard on the lower limbs - about 50 is my limit!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: Yateley 10km
    Why: I entered the series
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Thursday
    Lyrics: No

I have no idea what will happen tonight as my mileage these last 4 days has been very high (70ish) BUT I will attempt to run 35min pace.

NR. Sorry to hear that and even more stunned that it was taken from your club.

welcome back Sporta
  • NR - thats awful!

SiT - i'm so sorry to hear this has happened again to you.

what: just an easy 5k today for me after yesterdays tough tempo run. i was expecting tight sore calf muscles but they were fine :)

it was nice actually - i went out mid afternoon after 4 and 1/2 hours of back to back meetings and felt much better by the time i got back! i'm getting into the habit of adding my lunchtime runs to my diary so people can't put meetings over it - very useful today!
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Nutty - Why were you running with your handbag? [Hope nothing too important lost]

Club run this evening, hope it stays dry for a change.
  • Lazy bones reporting in.
    Again failed to make it out last night and duvet monster won convincingly this morning too to eliminate only window of the day...

What: rest
    Why: almost a habit now
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: thursday
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    not sad nutty, quite apt lyrics for how I want to be actually! Horrible to hear about your handbag nutty, its rotten when that happens.
    Got a run in with hubby last night, quite fast I think. Sciatica still playing up and I am so fed up I shouted out really loud while we were running f**k! Hubby looked suddenly at me shocked! I said sorry but its so sh*t running when every step tugs in the back of your leg. Getting back on my bike tomorrow.

What: nothing
    why: hurting and I am not really 100%
    last hard: last night
    last easy: lots and lots

take care all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning

Imski - Can understand how the duvet monster won. This weather makes me want to hibernate.

Nutty - Sorry to hear that.

Gobi - Hope it's a good one

What: 8 miles with some kind of speed session. Haven't made my mind up yet:)
    Why: Race is getting closer

Best wishes to all on the injury bench. Hope the day brings better things for you all.

Enjoy the day all.
  • Imski - duvet monster would have won for me this morning were not for combination of dawn chorus and v.early night yesterday (embarassed to say it, but i was asleep by half nine)

Nutty - lyrics have stumped me today

• Morning All.

Sorry to read about having your handbag stolen NR.

Thanks for the welcome backs and the half marathon welldones. They are very much appreciated :)

Legs still slightly mashed from Sunday and as I want to race tonight I have decided to miss my morning run. Race is only 3.7 but after warm up/warm down should get about 7 in.

Hope I dont get another dunking, but somehow i dont think i'll be so lucky.

Healing vibes to all the injured.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • Morning!

Imski - get out there - you've got a triathlon to race!

Sportaloo - thanks (but be careful - you forgot the short Scottish one in your list!)

Nutty Runner - that is sad :-( - from now on everyone will have to carry their handbags with them when running.

SiT, Scobos, WP, Tom,... - that bench just keeps attracting people :-(

Last night was a scene of havoc at our house. I just wanted to find my passport... Shiraz said she knew exactly where it was as she'd tidied it away before her friends came around last weekend... two stress-building hours later we were googling how to get emergency and temporary passports (it's not easy)... another hour later and then we found them... and breathe...

What: last night's run turned out to be a swim, but this morning d&d a slow 5 miles.
    Why: ticking over.
    Lyrics: nope.

I've seen the weather forecast for Sunday - blue skies here in England! So I'm hopeful you won't be tracking the IMA performances online, but in case you are here are the race numbers I know of:
    - Debbo - 2473
    - Hwood - 538
    - Melli - ?
    - Mr Melli - ?
    - Podro - 1935

Last day on here for me - I fly out early tomorrow... bring it on :-)
  • Morning everyone, I'm just idling away some time before the major stressful event of an interview arrives later this morning - eeeeeeek!

NR - sad to hear about that handbag. At first I thought you said the bag went when you were running - I had a vision of you running with your handbag; the thief would have had to run quite quick to catch you up! Sorry to make light of a drama....

Wabo - have you considered that the biking could be shortening your hamstrings which is aggravating your sciatica? I've been stretching my hams off a lot to counteract the biking and running. In my pilates class, the non-runners and bikers can strecth their hamstrings well, whilst I take some time to get there!

As for me, well, last night was one of those runs where you wish you hadn't bothered. I felt OK when I set off but after 20mins, the lack o frunning and abundance of biking caught up with me and I was dropping behind people I shouldn't have been behind. There was just nothing in the legs except 8.30min mile pace.

People keep saying that I'll get back into it, but it's not a lack of opportunity that I'm suffering from; it's a lack of motivation to get out there and RUN! Mind you, last week was 21M of running and 70M of biking so no wonder my legs were at plod pace last night (sorry if others are thinking, why is he bothered about that pace, I wish I could do that?!).

At least the incentive of Harrogate 10k looms. I need to do 25-30M a week for a bit to get my run hunger back!

What: probably a rest
    Why: see above
    Last rest: a week ago (total)
    Lyrics: yes!

Hi to all the (back) benchers, keep the faith!
  • Hollywood - unless you're a black and white, pig shaped animal, shouldn't your name be 'Hollywood (Pirate Resting and Tapering)'?! Here is that thing: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/tapir.jpg

Good luck for the race, anyway!
  • Oh, your picture has just loaded onto the screen. I can now see that you got the joke....

I'll get my coat as I feel a bit of a donkey.........
  • Morning,

What: Club run pm
    Why: No swimming until chest is better
    Last Hard: Monday
    Last Rest: Yesterday
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    NR - treat it as an excuse to but a new handbag...think my missus is keeping Radley in business at the moment.

Managed to sneak out for 4.2 miles yesterday after shrugging off the worst of the man flu.
    Off work today for July 4th USA holiday, so should be able to get out for an hour or so later. Would like to do my long run (14-16miles) but think they may be pushing it after the sniffles.

Have a great day, its sunny here!!!
  • FL - :-) - tis OK - it's tapir time and everyone goes crazzzzzzzee!

(I've seen a wild tapir - it was cool - we spent ages lurking in jungle watching it, we used up all our film taking really well focussed pictures of all the leaves and branches that were in the way, then very unexpectedly the tapir went out on the beach and had a paddle in the sea. Costa Rica - Corcovado national park - stunning and lovely - maybe I should go there instead of Austria...)
  • Good luck IMA-peeps!
    Hollywood - I'm eating as if I'm in tri training, does that count? Weaseled out of the tri tbh as we have a track meet on the same day.
    Realised I forgot my passport on monday too during check in at airport, but luckily I'm a continental type with no weird hangups about civil liberties and voluntarily carry a national ID card with me at all times so forgetting/losing my passport isn't a hassle on european travels.
  • morning all,

Nutty: sorry to hear about the theft. Certainly a good excuse to get a new one!

What: probably just some stretching later
    Why: the duvet monster and hotel breakfast put paid to a run this morning!

Good luck to all the IMA peeps
  • Morning all,
    Intresting open meeting at my club last night. I ran the 2000m then also took part in a relay parlay, which involved teams of 3 runners each doing 5x200m!

Not sure what to make from my 2k! On the start line, the skys opened big-time and the wind blew like crazy! Got left for dead at the start, despite doing a 75sec lap! gradually picked people off and ended up pretty well where I would expect to have placed, I eased down over the last 200m as nobody was attacking me from behind and finished in 6:47! Our 3rd ranked UK 3k u17 girl finished around 15secs ahead of me, though I was within 50m of her until I eased back :)

Then had 20mins rest before the relay, u17 girl asked me to be in her team, how priveleged I felt! lol...anyway good handovers, team dropped back at start, but finished 3rd overall in the end, our endurance for sure being the factor behind this, good fun and different! :)

What:
    am: 4.25miles easy/steady already done, very stiff today, but really tryed to work the pace, surprised myself as well! 6:50mm pace achieved!

pm: 6-7mile club run, aiming at a similer tempo to this mornings run, if legs will take it!

Why:
    Aerobic endurance and ramping things up to a higher level of running!

NUTTY:
    Really sorry to hear about your bag! was this in the actual running club or a gym or leisure centre premises?

• Hiya,

NR: That really sucks, hope its not too much of a headache getting everything replaced/ cancelled.

Happiness: We are moving house very shortly. Army move, so we get allocated a house, which we went to look at on Monday since we're not moving very far, but we didnt like it; it was small and dark, and the drive was at a 45deg angle, which considering my husband is restoring a classic car, was not what we wanted. So we turned it down, and asked for a specific one we know is soon to be vacant, which they've agreed to. This will be the 5th house in 2 yrs.

Hollywood: Break a leg.

What: So far I've done nothing except go to the chiropracter. Am in 2 minds wether to do anything or not, because last week was a big one (inc my first 75km cycle, a 10mile race, and some big swims) and I still feel pretty tired. I'll probably run later, but we'll see.

Lyrics: What a sad song!!!
  • NR, rubbish when that happens, hope it wasn't too much hassle.

I remember once whilst in a pub a guy snatched my rucksack from under the table. Once I realised what had happened I gave chase but to no avail. I was quite distraught but a friend lent me the money to get home and once at the station I phoned hubby on mobile to cry at him.....telling him that the b*stard had stolen my new mobile too.....

Hang on, said hubby, if he stole your mobile how come you are ringing me on it?

Hmmm, I guess I may have had a couple of drinks by this point!

Anyway, hope you get some good news soon SiT.

Hope all others on injury bench can get off it soon.

Good luck Hollywood, shall be looking forward to updates.

What: not sure yet again, ball of foot is really painful for no reason I can think of, so it may have to be swim.

I also am getting really bad stitch even just walking. Have no idea what that is all about.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    fl, thanks for the hams advice. Tbh I am pretty sure it is my glutes causing the problem as they are very tight. Also I only have it in the side that I use less when cycling (I seem to work harder with my right leg). After london to brighton my right hams were tight. The sciatica was easing till I shoved heavy furniture around and hurt my back and then last friday fell off my bike, twisting back again so I think its just set backs. Off for sports massage on monday though and will ask her to check out my hamstrings just in case.
    Good luck holly!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Nutty really sorry to hear about the bag some people are real b@$*@*£$

<regains composure>

What: Nowt
    Why: forced rest feel a cold coming on and want rid of it before Sunday
    Last Hard: Monday

SiT - So sorry too to hear of your probs wish i could come up with a solution

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Nutty, my solution is to put all these n'er do wells on the same island somewhere. Then they can be neighbours from hell to each other and leave the rest of us in peace.

Good efforts at the track Micksta.

Good luck Simon. Have you considered accepting a lower mileage limit? I know I wouldn't want to!

A swift recovery to the other bench people.

A brief report from my 10k race at Selby last night. From recent results I was expecting a time of 39:30-ish. The course is a completely flat figure of 8, though the lack of hedgrows made the stiff breeze a bit troublesome at times. I ended up sharing drafting duties with a chap from a rival club which helped in the windy sections. The 'k' markers were all over the place but when I arrived at 9k in 34.50 I realised much to my surprise that sub 39 was a possibility. Managed to overhaul a couple of tiring runners in the last k but just lost out to my drafting mate. Delighted with my time of 38:41, only 6 seconds shy of a PB.

A good confidence booster for the club 10k track handicap next week.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    forgot

Yesterdays lyrics
    Bon Jovi Livin' on a Prayer
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    well done wardi!!