Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Ello all. Lots of new names on this I dont know. Me and 3 other lads from the club have entered this one, which will be our Pb attempts I suspect for the year. Had to pull out of Paris in April with foot problem, which had been earmarked as Pb attempt. Pity , as I had put in a lot of training.

Still since then have done White Peaks mara in May, South Downs mara last month and planning to do my first ever ultra mara in less than 2 days!! ARRGGHHH!! Thats why I'm posting - cant sleep. At least 42 miles across very wet yorkshire moor.

Suspect I will need a short break before turning to this one. Anyone any tips on where to stay? We are happy to go cheap and share.
  • much more positive again today, my Achilles wasn't swollen when I woke up this morning, it was stiff at first, but it doesn't hurt at all at the moment. I don't feel confident enough with it to try and run again just yet, but I think after a few days it should be fine.

started taking glucosamine tablets yesterday so, fingers crossed, after a few months they may help me a lot.
  • DD- A guy at my running club recommeneded the glucosamine tablets to me. Ive been on them about 4 weeks and I can feel some benfits. i.e my knees dont crack as much as they used to! I'm taking them along with cod liver oil for general maintainance.

I've had 3 days waay from running this week. I did back to back running days for the first time last Friday and Saturday for about 6 weeks. Bearing in mind up until 2 21/2 weeks ago I was injured I dont think that was a bright idea, espacially as the Saturday run was XC, which I find a lot harder than road. Anyway, went running on Monday and I think the 2 runs, mixed with the beer I'd had over the weekend, didnt do my legs any good. I was roadrunning which is my favourite surface, but could not get my oace up. I can usually average well over 9 mph on a road run, but only managed about 8.3, so I decided that I'd benfit from a couple of days of gentle walking, stretching etc.

Anyway, I feel good now. I'm on a night shift tonight, so I'm having a road run later and I think I'm gonna do between 7 and 9 miles, depending on how I feel when I get out and about.

My aim at the moment is to be up to half marathon distance in training by the end of the month then start putting in long runs after that. Hope to do at least 4 20+ milers before this one, as opposed to the 1 I managed before Windemere.
  • aha I've entered this planning New Forest marathon as a warm-up...
  • Not all of us are lightning quick, my target is to duck under 5hrs30.

I tried running against the clock last weekend in a 10km, it was the first time ive tried to actually run a time and i didnt enjoy it much so it'll be the last for a while too. I'll stick with plodding my lsr miles out.
  • I managed 15.4 this morning, which I'm pretty happy with. My legs don't feel too tired which is also good!
  • It's good to see there are some people on here with as little training as me!
    :P

I'm thinking about pulling out of amsterdam, I can't quite seem to heal a nagging lateral tendon pain in my left knee. No matter how long I leave it for it doesn't seem to heal completely, even after physio... I must admit I haven't left it for more that 5 weeks, but I didn't want to get too unfit.
    :(

I have started cycling a bit to take some of the impact off my knees whilst keeping the muscles working, anyone got any other advice?

Amsterdam Marathon Facebook Group
  • Swimmings good for fitness. Supports body weight etc
  • Stepping up the training now, just done 10km in 59 mins and might enter a 10km race next Sunday if I'm feeling brave.

• This will be my first marathon, so up for it! started my training last week and i'm like a child with a new toy want to go running every day!! know I can't tho as I had to have 5months off after a bad stress fracture in January. Hoping it wont come back, every little ache in the shin is v scary so far so good though. Just have to keep reminding myself not to push it and that i'm not cheating myself by not going full tilt all the time!! :) happy days
  • Good luck Mark. I hate injuries, always chomping at the bit to get back to it.

Good luck with the training
  • cheers Dave, are you in for this one?
  • Heck yes. It will be my 2nd after running Windemere in May. Looking for a sub 3hr/pb.

• Thats a good approach Mark, beter to take it easy some of the time, than over do it and miss the race.

Hows the training going Dave? I too am looking for sub 3, but just easing my way back in to training at the moment after a foot injury.
  • Well
    Blow me down.

I'd just about given up all thoughts of this race due to cost contraints and general negative vibes. Then the Boss initiates a conversation about the possibility again. She's even done some hotel digging in an idle moment.

Even if it goes toes up, there's the option of Dartmoor Vale the same day. This could still be a goer.

Any which way, the training is going steadily onwards. The regular 21.5 Saturday and 8 miles Sunday, with a tempo 6.5 tonight. I need to focus on long range speed. Never mind, I have a tasty little 30 miler planned for 2 weeks time.
  • Trainings coming along nicely. Just done a fell race tonight, but managed a balls out sprint at the end to overtake someone. First sprint since pre injury, so signs are good. Club run tomorrow, and Thursday and hopefully a 10k trail race on Sunday
  • Woke up this morning with no swelling, stiffness or pain for the first time in months so things are looking good.

If I continue to wake up like this, I will restart my training after the weekend

• I wake up with stiffness and swelling most mornings, but it goes after Ive been to the loo!!!!
  • Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Ello all. Need a bit of advice. I ran the Lyke Wake ultra 42 mile marathon on Saturday and the conditions were really hard. Very, very wet and muddy course over mile upon mile of bog. Went in up to my waist 3 times. Also other sections very hilly and it has taken more out of me than I thought it would. I also ran White Peaks marathon and South Downs marathon during the last 8 weeks or so as training runs, so would be fair to say that I am marathon distance fit at the moment.

My problem is that I want to do a fast road marathon ( for me ) and its going to be this one. How long is it safe to ease up and allow my body some recovery time before I begin to lose my current fitness levels? I know I need a little break, but I really want to put heart and sole into this one and go for broke and need to try to gauge what would be a sensible recovery period whilst bearing in mind the schedule for this one starts about , er...now!!
  • Taff, I'm sure that you can take a couple of days off if you need to ;-) You are certainly not a novice if that training level's what you're up to.

I look at it this way. Cut yourself and the skin will take up to 10 days to heal. A right mashing in an endurance race will create micro-damage in the muscles, let's say you allow a week off for repair. It's just like a reverse taper. However, if one leg or component remains stiffer than its opposite number then there is a strain of some kind. Muscle or tendon. That needs special attention. You know the drill.

Interestingly I have broken down more times in the two weeks after a marathon than in any time leading up to it. Motto?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Taff,

I take a full week of no running after marathons. I didn't after my first two and ended up crocked/sick. I then take a couple of weeks easy before getting back into the swing of things. Should leave you 10-12 weeks to sharpen up for Amsterdam. Welcome aboard!
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    First LSR of FIRST programme duly completed last night - 13 miles, half out half back. Longest run since this year's FLM. Found the going tough - started too quick and slowed up in the second half. Clearly have lost a lot of stamina since FLM - 1:56:46, average pace 8:59 per mile which is OK for sub-4 Marathon. Luckily, 15 weeks to go so will need to knuckle down.
  • Hi all, I am a Brit living in Holland for the last 9 years and running Amsterdam marathon this year.

If you need any on the ground help - hotels, transport etc.. pl feel free to let me know and I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

It's a great course, well organised event and should be a good day out.

Good luck with the training.
  • Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Blisters and Jools - thank you and glad to be here. I'm not new to this lark, but I am new to ultras. We ran it a lot slower than a marathon but we were out there more than 3 times as long as what I hope to run Amsterdam in. The training was basically very long runs but slowly. I guess I must have built a decent endurance base by now and I am itching to get started on faster runs. Not been out since Saturday as I have been stiff this week, although much less so today. I just dont know if very very long distances and extra long time on your feet , hits the body the same way as a ''shorter'' but faster marathon.

Whilst I feel OK, I dont want to run into an injury. I guess I could do with a 12 week schedule and as suggested, taper back up next two weeks. I hadnt thought about the tapering up, which is an obvious plan I should have known about. Right easy 30 miler week next week it is!
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Gone very quiet here. Have we all given up ?
  • lol, no just busy training :) hows everyone doing? I had a poor run on Sunday set off far to fast and blew up after 90mins, oh well never mind!
  • I'm seriously considering whether or not to pull out at the moment - only managed 20 mins at the weekend and was suffering from a stiff and swollen Achilles this morning - after a small massage it's fine though so I'm not sure yet
  • Morning all,

things going well with the training, had one of those break through runs on Sunday; which was welcome because since I did Paris in April, a lot of my runs have felt laboured.

The 10 miler on Sunday was through woodland, with steep hills etc, and just felt great, one of those life affirming runs that makes you realise why you enjoyed it so much in the first place.

Best of luck with all your training guys and girls, no doubt I'll feel like I'm running with a bag of cement again tomorrow.

Jase
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    This will be my first marathon.
    Did the Wellington 10 miles yesterday as it fitted in with my traing schedule. it was wet and hilly and I just beat my 4 year old PB set on a dead flat course so I'm feeling confident and pleased with myself (only 14 weeks to go.....)
  • I had a really good 10k yesterday. Mileage increase this week is on the cards