Hathersage hilly tri

Anyone?

The bile section is really sweet - along the river, up a bit of a hill (20 mins at 5% gradient) then sweeping decent to T2. Swim in a heated outdoor pool then a tough little fell run of about 4 miles. Should be fun.

Comments

• IF i was not travling for other tris that would look a sweet one to travel to!
  • The bike section on this is fun, tried the full route and the down hill after the ascent is great!!!! My first tri and looking forward to it, heated pool like a bath.
  • Nigel - yeah, I loved the downhill as well - long sweeping curves. I did excede the speed limit at the end,just freewheeling down the hill, so I hope they aren't serious about DQing us.

Did you try the run section? I did my best with the directions on the website, but couldn't find the path down off the top of the moor. Pretty hilly little course - I certainly can't run the whole of it straight off the bile, although at least the first mile or so is flat.

My first adult tri. My last was 19 years ago, so I'm a born-again virgin.
  • Think Dq is regards to red light, swerveing infront of traffice etc.

Speeding on the bike is hard to prove. anyhow 30PMH most elite guys would be screwed!
  • Two questions!!!!, 1)do you have to do a recognised swimming stroke in the swim section ie crawl, breast stroke?. I can manage a few lengths of both strokes but then seem to go into kind of side stroke!!!! not anything I have seen before but I am still swimming?
    2) The event is on Sunday!!!! can I overtake the ineviatable Sunday driver who is doing 20mph down the nice downhill section without being DQ'd???
  • BTB, did not try the run section the directions threw me a bit. Really looking forward to this tri as its my very first.
  • Sorry, in answer to your questions:-
    1) Absolutely - anything goes
    2) If it's safe, and not against traffic rules (ie no solid white line). However if there is any risk to yourself or others then don't do it.
  • D74 thats good news it means it may not take me all day to do the swim part!!!.
    Obviously I do mean the down hill section for the overtake!!
    Having a go at the run section now I have looked at the directions in more detail. Did the bike section on Saturday and felt really good going up Froggatt hill until someone came past on their bike wished me a good morning whilst not sounding out of breath and peddled away like it was flat. I wonder if he is doing the HH tri?
  • Don't worry about other people, jsut concetrate on your own race. That guy may not be able to swam at all without armbands, or runs like me ;-)

Dont forget though that on the downhill bit whilst you'll be going fast, then braking distances take longer too, and if you're tired so will your reactions. In real terms then haring down the hill will stress you and get the HR up / keep it up. You may not 'lose' much if any time by relaxing, and if you get stuck behind a car going at 25mph, then treat it as a breather. Seriously, this is your first race, enjoy it don't try to push too hard.
  • Last year's results. Quite a spread of times on the bike, from 34 mins to 1hr 31 and the run from 28 - 59 mins.
  • just another one to thank you for your support to you both D74 and BTB. May see you on the day. Will "chill out" and just enjoy the day. Cheers for your words of assistance and encouragement.
  • I haven't had a start time yet - have you? I don't like the bumf mentioning a 6.15am race briefing!
  • no start time for me yet either but I thought mine may have been delayed as I had to re evaluate my swim time. 6-15am race briefing does seem a bit too early!!!
  • Well I hope it all goes well, and I look forward to reading about it on Sunday PM / Monday. Sadly I'm otherwise engaged at the Boundary Breeze, otherwise I would have been there.

Regards

Duncan
  • D74 - don't be such a wuss. Do both. Even with a slow swim at Boundary I'm sure you'll be finished by the following Sunday...
  • ;-) Err Hang on.

I thought it was this weekend. I'm only reffing anyway, but was sure it clashed. Oops.

In that case I may come along and take some piccies. Will have to see what the boss says as we were supposed to be having a long weekend, but then I can't ge thte Friday off, and she can't take the Monday so we're back to the drawing board.

• ;-) Err Hang on.

I thought it was this weekend. I'm only reffing anyway, but was sure it clashed. Oops.

In that case I may come along and take some piccies. Will have to see what the boss says as we were supposed to be having a long weekend, but then I can't ge thte Friday off, and she can't take the Monday so we're back to the drawing board.

• I ended up taking photos for this. They're up on my website now, www.tri-photos.co.uk. Seems we all got veryvery lucky with the weather, a few spits of rain but apart from that then it stayed dry.

Well done all.

• D74 - thanks for those. You have almost made me look like a triathlete - nice one!
  • BTB, managed to complete the whole tri. The swim was very slow but I expected that, its something to work on for Matlock!!! OOOPs am I hooked? Really enjoyed the whole morning, especially the good weather. Not sure of split times yet but will now look at the photos by D74.
    How did you do.
  • NW15 - I finished in 1.23 but I've no idea of splits. Some were posted on the doors of the little clubhouse, but they were constantly changing as people came in.

The swim was pretty chaotic - I didn't manage a single unbroken length without a bang into someone and occasionally I came across a complete obstruction. That's my only grumble - all in all a great event - smashing bike + run courses, shame there wasn't the Tshirt mentioned and only one toilet cubicle, but I guess that's all in the spirit of small local events.