Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Managed a rather laboured 21 yesterday. Still `money in the bank` as they say. Went cycling with my 13 year old in the afternoon. Finished me off. Short jog today if I can escape from work.
  • according to my plan I've got one more week of current distances, (Tues 7k Thurs 7k Sat 30mins intervals and sunday long run up to 15k) before I up my game. I'm itching to up it, but will stick to the plan!! we have a while yet, don't want to rush and get injured
  • Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Not run since a week last Saturday and feel fine for it. Wil go training Tuesday and see how I get on. Off for my hols at the end of the week. Will check in after.
  • patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    Bedders,
    Do you know the HEM Hotel we have all booked in there from East Cheshire not had any reports about it though so thought you may know of it. If you do is it central etc.
  • I was going to ask exactly the same question pat :-)
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Bedders, any good cocktail bars in Amsterdam that you would recommend (post-race naturally) ?
  • Some good training being done by everyone here.

I've been going easy on the miles to let my foot injury fully repair, but hoping to up the pace and miles from this week. Planning a 5 or 10k soon to see where Im at.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Still here guys - did 7 miles OK on Friday night, but LSR went horribly wrong yesterday. Set off at 1pm in overcast drizzle, which quickly made way to sunshine, blue skys and mid-20's temperature. Managed 10 miles (of scheduled 15) before heat got the better of me, so walked for mile, ran another 3 but much slower and walked the last mile home. Time for the 13 miles run was 1:59:07. Think I made the right decision to take it easy - spent the rest of the day recovering. Bring back winter Marathon training!

Not surprised that I struggled yesterday - serious case of runner's sunburn today (face and neck, forearms and lower legs) which developed overnight. Funny that I didn't feel it when running!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Didds,

Very jealous of your sunshine. I started my LSR in light rain and it got heavier and heavier. I baled out at 10 miles because I was getting so cold (it was pretty windy, too). I decided I'd do the remaining 8 when I got back from a day out, hopefully around 7 in the evening. Complete transport nightmare meant I ended up running at 10.30 at night (maybe a little too obsessive, I know...) and scaring the local fox!!!

5 miles very easy last night. Some half-marathon pace stuff tonight.
  • Good stuff Jools thats dedication for you!

I'm off to my first club session this evening, baring some unforeseen work commitments. Going to try out the Dulwich Park Runners, wish me luck everyone i'm a bit nervous of what to expect really.

he who dares and all that!!
  • Good luck! I found joining a club really helped me.

I did a 10k race on Sunday, and 11 miles yesterday so I definitely seem to be building it back up again. I'm away for the weekend but hoping to manage about 14 on Friday evening before I leave.
  • Hi ya, I did the 10km on Sunday and it was very hard going, some on rough track some road some between corn fields......and it was darn hot. Didn't come last but was very slow (1.04) but given the heat I was glad I got round.

Been out this morning 5km, but will have to rethink my training with the heat now. Any suggestions - other than Don't Do It....!!

• I did a 10k on Sunday then a 12.7 miler yesterday. It got a little humid towards the end, but I felt quite good.

Club run Thursday, run of my own Wednesday then running the Yorkshire Wolds half this weekend. If all goes to plan, looking at sub 1:30.
  • Durham
    Don't even think about pulling out until the last week prior. Injuries do manage to get fixed. See the fizz.

Question for all:

Hotels - what, where, and how much? I've got a family of 4 in total to troop along.

(Fly to AMS, train to Dam Sq, taxi to hotel, location unknown)
  • Oooh, yeah. Gotta book flights, accomadation etc.

My plan was a cheap flight from Leeds Bradford and maybe Sat and Sun night in a cheap hostel. Can anyone help?
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Re hotels - try the Best Western Delphi. They have (or had last week) some q good deals. It`s also convenient for the start & finish.
    I think a number of people are staying at the Hem (?). A bit more expensive but equally convenient.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Good running Jools, YP1, Onetit and Dave A - sounds like you're all on track.

I'm staying at the Tulip Inn, Riverside - www.tulipinnamsterdamriverside.nl - with my clubmates. We have a contact so have got a cheap rate (50 euros for a single room and 64 euros for a twin per night, including breakfast). It's not near the start but we are taking a couple of mini-buses so transport not any issue.
  • Thanks blisters,

I'm a bit more positive at the moment - my Achilles is sore in the morning, but after a massage and a shower it's usually ok. I'm still only running short distances very slowly (planning 30 minutes tonight), but I'm not aiming for any time in Amsterdam as it will be my first marathon.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Durham, you can always change to the half marathon up to the day before the race
  • patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    Is it true you can change to the half if training isnt going well I dont know whether it is virus I had a couple of weeks ago but really struggling now and think marathon might be too much. Am going to put training in but would be nice if I thought could downgrade to half. Does anyone know if this is possible
  • I was injured about a month ago and had 3 weeks off running. When I started back training my legs were a mess. I did my 1st long run since the injury on Monday, the day after a 10k race, and I think Im back. A couple of weeks off shouldnt be too much of an effect on your prep unless its really close to race day.
  • I was injured about a month ago and had 3 weeks off running. When I started back training my legs were a mess. I did my 1st long run since the injury on Monday, the day after a 10k race, and I think Im back. A couple of weeks off shouldnt be too much of an effect on your prep unless its really close to race day.
  • Hi all,

Posted this question in a new thread (sorry -- should have searched for existing threads first...!).

I'm looking for a late-October fast, flat marathon to do a PB, and am considering Amsterdam. I was wondering if a quick time would be possible considering the fact that the start (and finish) is in a stadium. Anyone with experience of this run? Is it very congested at the start, or can one break away and do a fast time?

Thanks,
    David.
  • patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    Hi DJL as nobody seems to be answering your question if you look at the beginning of this thread it seems it is a really nice fast course no bad feedback on it from anybody. We are staying at the HEM Hotel quite reasonable rates I think it worked out £170 for three nights and the flights from Manchester going on Friday morning coming back Monday afternoon. The party from East Cheshire is expanding there are ten of us now hope we will all be able to meet up in Amsterdam with you forumites
  • Everyone I've spoken to says it is a really good flat course, great for PBs. You finsh in the stadium on the track, so if that doesn't help with a sprint finsh I don't know what will.

Patrunner where abouts in east cheshire is your club from? I'm orignally from Nantwich but now live down in London. will have to look out for you guys. :)
  • Thanks patrunner & DulwichMark.

Finishing in the stadium is not so bad -- I was concerned about starting there. Don't you think it will be too congested? Or would it be reasonably easy to start near the front?
  • I haven't done it myself so can't answer that I'm afraid. I'll ask some people at the club who have done it and get back to you. I personally don't anticipate it being overly congested..
  • Thanks again. Look forward to hearing from you.