10k to 100k in 12 months?

Hi All,

I just started running properly 3 months ago and completed my first race, a 10km, in Phuket last week. Now I'm getting all excited (especially after reading Dean Karnazes' book: "Ultra-marathon Man") and want to run the Mongolia Sunrise to Sunset 100km run next year (July 2008).

Is this a realistic target or am I getting ahead of myself? Anyone who has suggestions on training and a schedule for when I do my first marathon, and any other advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• I can't see why not, but I'm no expert. Nothing is impossible as the Nike advert says.
    The very best of luck to you.
  • Er, it may be a tad too soon Flying Knickers. Assuming you're going to build your training up (sensibly) to half maras then a full ones, see how you feel after your first 26.2

Then consider the prospect of more than doubling that distance.. 62 miles, sh*t!! Maybe someone who's done ultras will be able to give you some specific training advice.
  • I'd think a sensible approach would be best here - work your way up slowly.

I've seen so many people take up running, get carried away with too many miles and then they have quit with injuries.

Theres no rush for that race is there ? It will be there in 2009 ?

A 10k is nothing compared to 100km. Even nothing compared to a mere marathon of 42km.
  • well, as long as you arent bothered about time

yes, why not

if you are botherd about time, then wait till you have more experience
  • Ultra runners............nutters :0
  • yes , they are taff

bloody nutters
  • PH has it right if you just want to get around then yes why not. Stealing someone elses phrase...

(if you have got the time) Its easier to train to run further than it is to run faster.

But if you want to do it for a time and dont want to walk any of it then the odds are very heavily stacked against you. You are likely to pick up to many injuries upping your training mileage in that short a period.

why not work towards a marathon first then try and improve your marathon time then shift to ultras.

to put in perspective for a decent 100k time you are probably gonna need to hit 80mpw with your short mid week speed runs being 10k.

the flip side of that is alot of the toughness associated with ultras is a myth, like any distance the hard thing is doing them as fast as your potential allows and all that means is soaking up lots of your time training.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    thought i'd just roll into this thread to say
    "Nutter"

thank you.that is all.
  • Flying Knickers, I'm in a similar situation myself, although currently planning on going from 5K to 75 miles in 9 months...

I have run a couple of marathons before (last was London 2005, 4:30), but haven't done a lot since then. At the moment I'm at about 5K level, but am currently trying to plan my training to get ready for the Jurassic Coast Challenge (end of March 2008), which is 75 miles over 3 days (1 marathon per day, effectively). Are there training plans for such races, over several days?

My theory is if I can get back to Marathon fitness by the end of the year (does anyone know any good marathons in December?), then build on that through Winter/Spring, then I should be ok.

Not worried about time, though less than 6 hours per leg would give sufficient rest-time.
  • hi stevie

Luton marathon is at the beginning of december

• Quite a mixed bag of responses there guys - thanks. I'm going to see how I get on; at the moment I'm worried about a twinge in my knee so I don't want to push it.
  • Build incrementally.

It may be that you try longer distances and don't like them as much as say a 10K.

There's no way of knowing how things will pan out.
  • I ran London to Brighton 4 years after my first marathon. The Mongolian 100k though I think you can treat as an endurance hike rather than a run and train accordingly (join the Long Distance Walkers Association and do their events) and at the same time wait until you've run a marathon before you think about a timeframe for running an ultra.

I'm agreeing with Jason by the way! I started the year running a couple of ultras (both pbs) and now I'm training for 5ks.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    FK - that book should carry a health warning. Seriously best of luck though if you decide this is the way to go. Maybe email Dean to get some advice.
    Have you considered what the weather conditions will be at that time of year. Could you cope with that
  • just be careful! You are attempting a 900% increase in under 12 months. Make sure your bones, muscles and ligaments are up to it. And stop if things start to hurt - I didn't and haven't run for real for over 2 years.
  • Flying Knickers, how's the training going?
  • I suspect what works for some won't for all but anyway here is my 2 pennies worth.

I started running and tried to do a marathon as my first race, I was reasonable fit already and progressed fast but my legs didn't i.e i got lots of overuse injuries.

I have heard it takes a good 2 yrs to build ligament/tendon strength and I suspect from my experiences there is truth to this in that i get far less injuries now 5 yrs in.

I have now done 2 ultras in the last 10 months, the last less than 2 months after a marathon and have managed to stay injury free by doing less,i.e i run 2-3 times a week and don't often go over 30 miles a week often less, i did 3 25 mile plus very slow runs in training for my first ultra and only one the marathon for my second ultra. oh and most is off road.

What i have got good at is knowing what pace I can keep going for the distance and getting my nutrition right, plus it helps to be stubborn and turning 40 with a midlife crisis driven need to prove something to yourself. having mental strategies for keeping going when it gets tough is key.

I don't think your plan is that wise but if you don't mind risking injury and not finishing you may gain in the sense of having taken on and completed a massive challenge. (it's quite a piratey thing to do, see the tri forum if you haven't heard of this or the article about Ironman Austria

good luck let us know how you do

Roger
  • I went from nothing to a 90K ultra in two years, however I urge caution as I oicked up a lot of niggles / overuse injuries as the mileage increased.

Six years down the road I can handle 80 mile weeks and am able to run a marathon fairly easily unless I really racing it.

As Roger says above experience teaches you nutrition, pacing and gives you the knowledge of how to get through the rough patches.

So whilst I would guess that you could do a 100K in 12 months time especially if your prepared to complete rather than compete it might be wiser to wait another year.

Whatever you decide Good Luck
  • I have a small training milestone to happily report - last week while on holiday in the UK, I did a couple of trail runs including my longest run so far of 21km... half-marathon, hooray! It felt great, and I even experimented with running with a Camelbak, eating on the run (banana flavoured Powerbar - but only when running downhill!) and then jumping in the sea at the end (cold temperature felt great for my legs). I also ran with a handheld GPS which I found really useful for measuring the distance and speed though it was a bit cumbersome to hold. However, I am now the proud owner of a Garmin 305 Forerunner, and it is FANTASTIC! Thoroughly recommend this piece of kit to every runner! I also went to a proper running store and videoed my running on a treadmill. AND, I bought a road bike so I can mix up my training routines and save my knees from road pounding. So, I am totally kitted out and ready for action!