Cheering up thread

Has anyone got any ideas on how to stay alive while injured?
I find that swimming up and down in a pool for an hour (I'm yawning) just doesn't quite do when you like nothing more than a cheeky 10-20k on a sunday morning. Still, I go swimming anyway.

By the way, is it just me or do other people feel the same? I've been sooo depressed since I cannot run. I cry a lot. One part of me says: get a grip, it's just running. worse things happen to people.
Am I right to be so upset?

agy x

Comments

• Yep you have a right to be so upset. I got injured 1 year and 10 months ago and have been to 5 physios and consultants etc and still can't run, in fact I can walk for about 10 mins then I have to limp.

But I have found over time I have got used to being injured and am less stressed, frustrated, angry and sad.
    When there's not much you can do about it I think you just cope.

Though it is worse now its sunny, just makes me wanna go outside and run around!!

How long have you been injured for and what is your injury!!

I find this forum helpful for sharing frustrations :)

Oh and trying to find a new hobby helps you survive - I've bought a DS, a saxaphone, umm gets a bit expensive though. At least I can't go out shopping lots!
  • sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭
    Exercise is good for your mental as well as physocal wellbeing so its natural to feel down. also frustration and worry over injury won't help.

Don't know what injury you've picked up agy but are you able to go down the gym and use an elliptical trainer or bike?

Would help vary your exersise and provide company to make it less boring?

Plenty on here in the same boat so your in the right place for support.
  • robers, why is your injury taking so long? i really feel for you.
    i am concentrating on weight training (i'm really into that) but it's not the same. it works your strenght but not endurance.
    i can't do cross trainer, spinning, nothing (except for swimming) cos it aggravates the injury. please read my post about stress fractures where i described it all in detail

agy x
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Agy, a colleague of mine has written a paper about getting through injury (he is a runner) and how to stay positive etc.

Drop me an email if you would like me to send you a copy - it is very interestign adn not too 'academic'

• what is your email address?

agy x
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    agy click on the little envelope just up and to the left of my picy..you can then send me a message - to which I can reply adn fwd the document
  • Oh no my positivity is falling - I don't know why my injury is taking so long!
    I can't even use exercise bike, walk or swim, well I can use my arms and wiggle my legs gently.
    Hmmmm bit too sad now.

I hope you get a good second opinion.
    I had a nightmare with the nhs orthopaedic people. They ended up telling me 'it will either get worse or it will get better'!! Sounds just as idiotic as you being told you will just get stress fractures when you run - what is wrong with them!!
    Thankfully the consultant retired and I got to see a new person who got me physio in 2 weeks time and arranged an mri, much better.
  • Hmm.. I am recently injured and trying to find ways not to let it sink me.. I am a creature of routine so am thinking I need to replace my running routines with something else.. Luckily I can still swim and cross train.. its not the same but it is someting and will hopefully stll provide stress relief! But allready I sooo miss the long runs..I read a good article on the american runners world site 'down but not out'.. Had some good stuff...
  • Hi agy

I know how you feel, its crap aint it?

Have you started to hate the sight of other runners healthily bouncing around, they make me sick!

I think you're on the right track by doing something else like swimming, thats what i'm trying to do although i'm crap at swimming (takes me 17 strokes to move 4 foot!).

Its gets worse if you've signed up for an event. I stupidly booked myself in for a Berlin marathon, paid for the flights, hotels but couldn't run a bath right now!

At least you're not alone and theres places like this where you can get it off your chest.

Keep your chin up mate!
  • Haha

You just want to push those happy bouncing runners over don't you. You know its wrong but its so tempting, especially if you walk home through the park every day.

Me: No proper running for exactly one year due to unfortunate string of injuries.

Want to take up swimming but can't stand it.
  • .. and I thought it was just me that was having very uncharitable thoughts.. he he
  • I had around four months off running this year due to plantar fasciitis and a sprained ankle (that still isn't right) so bought a mountain bike in January. I found that doing 25-30M on this heavy contraption was easily as hard as running 17M or whatever. I'm now in the process of buying a road bike so that I can got much further and faster!

I've also got back to running (boo, hiss, I can hear you say!) but running is starting to fade a bit in my interest so I've turned my eye to triathlons. There's nowt like thinking of doing these to spur you on in the gym, mandymands!

If you can use the gym, have you thought of asking a gym trainer to get you motivated?

agyK - don't give up, I remember how hard it was (and how boring swimming could be). It'll come back to you. Get the injury sorted first, though, so you know what the problem is. Sorry, if you've done this and it sounds like I'm telling you to suck eggs!
  • good idea about asking gym instructor for help/ motivation... thanks!i did a mini triathlon afew years ago and got a puncture.. and No, i didn't have anything to repair it wirh! I still finished though and wasn't last!!
  • oh i so agree about the healthy runners, just running around without a care in the world. they make me sooo upset. i'm jealous like hell.
    yeah, swimming is boring, esp as you can't listen to any music. still, i do 2-3 sessions a week for 1h each time otherwise i'll go mental.
    thing that upsets me the most is how much endurance one loses without training. i wonder if i could even run 10k now.
    and also, when i do eventually get back into it, i will be paranoid about taking it easy (i don't want to be out of action again for so long) and won't progress as well as i could.
    i wonder if i can demand an aircast when i do see the second orthopeadist. they are so annoying. they don't care about people like us who NEED to get back into it. as far as they care, we simply shouldn't run and then we woulnd't cause them problems with taking up their time. that's the feeling i get with the utterly ridiculous "don't run" advice. they don't understand what it means to us.
    agy xxx

p.s. i'm so glad i've found this forum. it makes such a difference to talk to people who understand.
  • agy k - can you aquajog? That will certainly help with endurance! Its a flotation belt that wear in the pool so you can go through the motion of running without any impact.
  • Agy

When I mentioned the "it wouldn't be so bad if I could listen to music whilst swimming" thing, someone pointed me to here.

Not bought one yet myself (haven't got a spare £100 lying around), but if its important enough to you...

BTW
    Don't they already have dancing in Poland? (Profile joke.)

• i've seen the belt; it's quite expensive (about 40-50 quid). i'll keep looking on ebay for a cheaper one. or maybe one can just get a cheap floater for kids. as to the waterproof mp3, i've seen a cheaper one on ebay (about 50 quid). have a browse. i might have to splash out cos i just love listenng to music when i work out and swimming for an hour non stop can sooo boring.
    i have been running in the pool a little but just in the shallow water as i don't have a belt. perhaps even such impact is too much...i wonder.

agy x