Running clubs

No running club exists in the small rural town where I live, but there are other runners.
I should like to start an informal club.
Any advice from anybody who has done so??????

Comments

• I've never started club but I think all of the organizations you need to contact to make it all official like are at the bottom of the events pages in RW.

Good luck
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Rather than form a formal club, which needs all manner of forms and stuff, why not just stick a note on the notice board at the local sports centre/swimming pool/newsagents suggesting getting together to run in a group?
  • There are advantages in having a formal club such as insurance if injured during a race, discount for clubs affiliated to the appropriate bodies and of course places in the London Marathon dependent on size of club. Of course it means having a formal constitution and officers but all that can be very informal. My first club was a very small affair and committee meetings took place in the pub over a few jars. In my present club (Stafford Harriers) I only pay £17 to be a member and for that I get access to changing rooms, a social club with bar (its worth cohabiting with some existing facilities or another sports club), a £1 off all races, all XC races free, a discounted club running vest and, most importantly, a good bunch of mates. My £17 probably saves me about £50 a year!
  • I have been running for about two years now and would like to do a beginners Triathlon new June in Cheshire. The only problem is... I can't ride a bike!! Does anyone know where I could get professional lessons or is there another way?
  • I have been running for about two years now and would like to do a beginners Triathlon next June in Cheshire. The only problem is... I can't ride a bike!! Does anyone know where I could get professional lessons or is there another way?
  • Boing! This lady needs an answer. Sadly I don't have one so I've given her a bounce instead.
  • Ref setting up a Club in a new area. What one of our local villages did was put a notice on the local health centre board and in local papers/newsheets for meeting place. They met a few times in a local hall to find out how many of them there were, then all joined the Road Runners Club for the first year (£12.50 each) which gave them insurance for RTAs, reduced race entry and a national newsletter. They couldn't enter XC races from that, only road races, but after a year, the group had grown through being seen around the area regularaly, and they were able to form a committee, draw up a constitution, elect officers and affiliate to the necessary groups tob ecome a 'proper' running club.
    They now run their own multi-terrain race annually which helps to keep their annual membership subs down and are becoming quite well known around the cuonty.
    They have been going for 4 years.