My Last Run

I think we should start a stream with details of our favourite pastime. Here's mine for starters...

12/07/07 - 5.25m - 46:53:21
A day I didn't want to run. I was awoke at 4am due to Billy and I wrestled to get some sleep but I could not drift back off. So I did the usual wakey up stuff but starting at 4:30. I just didn't want o go out. I even contemplated dozing off on the sofa. That was until ping, I said to myself "I can't lie here, I have to do something"! So I jumped up, put on my1061's and set off to do the original 4.33 miler but then at the lights at Sonia's I went to rthe Circus. I nearly went to Ickenham but thought hell no, I'm off up the Western Ave for the 5.25 miler and to be honest although I felt a bit lousy at first it got better. I am very pleased that I went out. I just can't get enough!

Comments

• It was wednesday 11.07.07

I came last in a race. I ran pants. Thought it was a fun thing didn't realise it was all club runners. Not ran since. When everyone else finished in around the 13-20 mins It took me 1/2 hour (I think as my watch battery packed in). Set off too quick and gave myself a stitch, didn't have enough to eat, fed my toddler but not myself and it was too bloody hot. To add insult to injury it was where I normally run anyway, so I am a bit fed up.

But hey ho, tomorrow I will don on my brooks and head out the door.
  • Sunday 15/07/07.
    It was stormy, thunder and rain pouring down, I had a cold and I really didn't want to go out. Decided that as I am training for a half marathon and I can't run 2 miles without stopping I had better go. Waited for a break in the rain and thought that if I feel bad I can always stop and go home.
    Bear in mind I am almost 20 stone and usually plod along at about 12 min miles and progressively slow down the further I go. I set off, first mile (when it eventually came, seemed like a lot longer) was 10:50! Blimey! Completed mile two, had a 30 sec walk, mile three and a 45 second walk then mile four and finished in 44:05! Yes, I said 44 minutes and 05 seconds. I have no idea how, or why, but I don't care. And it didn't rain on me.
  • Yesterday for me, 15/7/07 - 5.8miles, 1hr and 1 min, only been running again for a week after a long break so pretty pleased, weather was horrendous, torrential rain and my lips were blue when I got back, I wouldn't have been more wet if I'd gone swimming
  • 17/07/07 - 7.2m - 1:06:11 c 917 f 117g Hi 170
    Today was a nice steady run. Again it looked so promising as I emerged from le maison. The sun was a giant orange glow and I thought "mmmm, looks good." Unfortunately that was as good as it got. There was rain from the night still on the ground and not my favourite surface. It remained for the whole hour plus. Lots of activity around on the roads (people and cars). I nearly got hit by a bus at UxR and RoyLa. I tried to beat it as it came round the corner. hat was very close, phew!
    No real problems except I could feel my knees a wee bit. One thing to note is the bridge building is nearly finished along SwRd.
    Nobody out running today, big disappointment.
  • 19/07/07 - 5.3m - 45:13:93 c 679 f 86 Hi 188
    Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. Because of the lateness of my bod this morning I had to curtail my run to a meagre 5+ miler. As I ventured out the sun was shining and the temperature just right. The set off was ok, no problems anywhere along the route. I cannot believe that I am 6 minutes faster than before, amazing! Chuffed to bits to say the least. Oh well thats it now for 10 days. A chance to get my knees calmed down a bit.
    Jog watch was a two today
  • Just back from my first run in my 7 week training plan before the Glasgow Half marathon.I really enjoyed it - I lasted for about 40min (not sure of the distance). I really surprised myself in the extra gear I found near the end of my run (about 1/4 of a mile from home), it may have had something to do with the dozen seagulls that were swooping down from above trying to have me for their dinner! The reason for this may have been because I was working so hard during my run my body sweat attracted them? or it could be that I looked like a slow moving Mcdonalds bag? At least I knocked about 3 minutes of my time! But I will now need to go and change my underpants!!
  • Thursday 19/07/07 12:15pm - , easy recovery run round the lanes of Broughton and Bretten.

4.37 miles - 34:29 (7:53/mile average) - 42ft total ascent. Nike Free 5.0 Trail.

Everything it was meant to be, weather was lovely, verging on too warm, pace was spot on, legs did feel a little leaden but after the previous 5 days that was to be expected.

Chris.
  • Thursday 19/7/7 07.20am - first run in a new training regime.

Struggling lots with my running nowadays and always too tired after work, so have had the brainwave of running before work. Many benefits : cooler, less traffic, NO CHAVS, not stressing allday dreading my run...cos I've already done it!

This morning, 2 mile circuit. Ran 1.5 mile, walked the rest. Legs sore, but pleased I went out. Have to see if I can keep it up!
  • sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭
    18/07- Intervals- 4x1200m

Going quite well on the treadmill when a more experienced runner gave me some advice about my stride.

Tried his suggestions and after a short while found I was going even better.

A really good session.

Who knows I may even end up liking Reps and not just doing them cos they're on the schedule and worth the benefits.
  • last night, 3.5miles not sure how long it took me as didn't take my watch but I did it a bit faster than the last couple of runs and don't ache at all today which is first
  • Friday 20/07/07 - 3:15pm - Hilly fartlek (7 efforts) around the lanes of Helsby.

6.43 miles - 47:59 (7:27/mile average) - 687 ft total ascent. Puma Complete Prevail.

Rain had eased off and I had a nice little run mixed the efforts between the ups and downs. Legs feel a lot better than yesterday.

Chris.
  • 12.10 pm. 8 miles,

not very fast, time not even worth mentioning but I was running average 12 minute miles, although ran the last mile in under 9 mins. I can't manage to speed up if I want to run any kind of distance, and by that I mean anything over 3 miles. However, very good run, best I have had over the last two weeks, could have run further decided to be prudent, feel good physically and mentally. Amazaing how a good run leaves you with such a feeling of well being.

Ridiculously heavy rain before my run, stair rods aren't in it, managed to get out in a brief spell of dry, heavy rain again on the home stretch.

Much cooler, sooo much easier to breathe, decided that I am useless in the heat, such as we have had to date throughout this summer,

• Wednesday 18th July - 9:15pm

Was feeling a little back ache and down in the dumps, but seeing as I was near the coastal park after dropping my son off at school I decided to head down there with a short 20minute run and enjoy the glorious views (which I neglect dreadfully, as it's on my doorstep) rather than the plain and boring streets outside of my front door.

I'm a beginner, only been going since end of April / early May...incredibly slow still (more of a plodder!).

20 mins came and went, and I decided the scenery and sunshine was so glorious, I thought I'd go a bit further, just to see what was around that bend, and that one, and that one, and that one...in the end I clocked 7 miles in 1hr, 36 minutes. I was completely shocked, being twice the distance I had ever run.

Certainly paid for it the next day, felt weary, stiff and tired all day. But it was worth it, to realise my potential and for the motivation. Was feeling down in the dumps because I just couldn't seem to go past 5K and I've signed up for a 10K in September! On top of the world now!

Oh yeah, and I've now been nicknamed 'Forest Gump' because I just kept on going...and going...and going...!!!
  • Mrs WinkleMrs Winkle ✭✭✭
    15/07/07 BUPA Great Capital Run 10k 1.02.57

My first ever 10k was the last time I ran - I'm going out this morning though, might do another 10k of the streets round my home. I really enjoyed it, though typically it was a humid, sunny day and I've been running and training in wet weather.

I found it easy until between 6 - 8k where there was no shade and it was tiring. I sped up for the last k, sprinted to what I thought was the finish (not wearing my glasses) only to realise it was the 400m to go marker. I thought I was going to be sick, but I managed to keep runnign to the end. Disappointed with my time - I wanted a sub 60. Never mind, next time.
  • Mrs WinkleMrs Winkle ✭✭✭
    21/07/07 4.5 miles 44 mins

A gentle run around the streets, weather was a bit clammy and warm. Running at a 10 minute mile pace.
  • Saturday 21/07/07 - 3:00pm - Hilly off road run -Castle Park, Frodsham summit.

3.11 miles (5k) – 23:54. (7:41/mile average) - 613 ft total ascent. Mountain Bear Gladiators(2).

Purely by chance found a lull in the rain. Couldn’t avoid the mud though. This is a new route I’ve yet to push myself on, but today I matched my previous best without trying, great run. Finished off with an assorted circuit of exercises in the park.

Chris.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Sunday 15/07/07
    52.4 miles: 11 hours 29 minutes 18 seconds :o))
  • Total contrast to UltraWomble (can I just say - wow! I am very impressed! And a bit in awe...) - but to show it's all relative:-

I just did a total of 40 mins running including a stint of 15 mins, the longest I have ever ran since I started in May. Slow progress on the run/walk schedule, but feel like it's good progress today.
    Big mental barrier if nothing else!

• I'd better just post a link.

Daily Training

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    UWomble 52.4 miles that's much more than I do in a week - respect!
    I did a more modest 5 miles on the treadmill in 55 minutes. Was going to do long run but wet and windy so went to the gym instead - though whatever the weather I have to do my LSR tomorrow - just putting that on here will ensure I do!
  • Sunday 21/07/07 – 10:30am – Trentham 10 mile race.

10 mile Race – 1:03:31.14 (6:21/mile average) - 869 ft total ascent. Nike Vaporfly

Weather was almost ideal, but I’ll still have a moan about the wind after the turn at the top of the climb. As for the climb, not as tough as I expected, but still hard especially from the switchbacks near the top. Time is a bit disappointing but my effort was brilliant, more than happy with this run.

Chris.
  • Sat 21/7/07 - 6.2miles 1:06:03 1min/mile faster than 2 weeks ago now so I'm improving and getting back into the swing of things, was planning to do 7.8 miles but cut it short at 5miles due to feeling immensely tired, my back is killing me today and I don't know why as it's never bothered me before and I've not changed my shoes or anything (asics gel kayanos)
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Sun 22/7/07 - LSR 12.5 miles in 2:11.20
    First five miles undulating, most of the rest along the seafront on the flat - warm and sunny all the way!
    I have built up from 30 min runs in January to a maximum of half marathon distance now. However I find it gets harder over about 9 or 10 miles - I eat before I go out but don't eat or drink on the run - should I?
  • Monday 22/07/07 – 1:30pm – Long Hilly Trail run – Helsby, Frodsham, Delamere.

22.7 mile – 3:34:02.98 (9:26/mile average) - 3394 ft total ascent. Mountain Bear Gladiators(2)

Wasn’t sure what I’d be capable of today after yesterday’s race effort, but I fancied a long one as I didn’t manage on last week. I set off real easy and thought I’d just see how it went. Got to the turn round point just under the hour and decided I had plenty left so threw in a big extension through Delamere. In Delamere someone had made a big picture on the floor of a squirrel out of sticks, pine cones and stuff and it was really good but it distracted me and I caught my toe on a root and went flying, it wasn’t sunny but it was warm so I was running topless and as a subsequence I ended up covered in mud and pine needles. The last mile or so it started to rain so I ran back along the road instead of through the woods in an attempt to wash off some on the dirt. Overall a very pleasant run.

Bx - I had 4 slices of toast and a protein shake 2-3 hours before this run and took nothing out with. I generally don't bother with food or drink on any of my runs, unless it's really hot and I know I'll be out for a long time.

Chris.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice Chris.
    Rest day for me today.
  • Did an 8k in 33:32 last week after doing a 33:59 and thinking it was going to take a mammoth effort to surpass that.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Tues 24/7/07 6 miles easy 1:03:320

I had planned to do some speed work today, but my muscles were still complaining a bit about the long run I did Sunday. So instead I did an easy run along the seafront - it is a beautiful sparkling morning here and it was the best way the start the day. Going faster can wait for another day...
  • ran last night in the Bourne woods(farnham)

was very wet but enjoyable