Is it ok to have a breather

Have been running 3 times a week for at least 3 months now, and am clocking up approx 14 miles a week. Am training for a 10 miler in Oct and only recently cracked a 10K (VERY slow at 74 mins)

I now go out for no shorter than 5-6 mile runs, (and these will get longer over the coming weeks) and was wondering if I am cheating if I stop for a breather for a few seconds after I run up a hill or generally feel totally knackered. I always complete the total mileage, but if I have a total rest period of say 4 mins over an 6 mile distance - is that bad? I feel as though I should be able to keep going and keep beating myself up after a run.

(ps - stopped smoking 3 weeks ago if that makes a difference....)
:-)

Comments

• Try running a bit slower, then you might not need that breather
  • Yes its OK - took me weeks to start doing routes with roads in the way - i felt like I was cheating everytime I had to stop to cross the road
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Absoloutely nothing wrong with having a breather if you need it, but do try to keep moving - even if it's a slow walk.

Slowing down will help, as Hippo says - you'll be running the whole way before you know it.

Well done on stopping the fags too! That's the best decision you have ever made. :o)
  • Thanks chaps,

Re running slower, I am struggling getting my pace right. Sometimes I am doing 10 min miles and sometime 12. I know that overall my average is 12 or just under, but I find it difficult to keep it this slow, but this is the only way I will go the distance until I get fitter. (any slower than that and I will be walking - ha ha ha)
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    If you're finding it difficult to manage your pace, how about focusing on your breathing instead? Try running so that you could talk in complete sentences - if you would be talking in gasps, slow down.
  • bronnie why not do 3/4miles for one of your runs each week where you don't take a breather, or only take one at a predetermined point in your run, say after each mile or after each 20mins.
  • Good ideas - thanks.

Am doing 2 x 5 miles this week and another 6 miles at the weekend. To be honest, if I can find a route with no hills I am pretty much ok. I never used to stop, but I think I have got into a faster rythym than my body can keep up with over the longer ditances. I am fine over 4-5 miles. Think you are right SS - I should listen to my breathing (best take out the earphones then!!!) Also I think that when I do a distance longer than I have run before, I mentally think I cant do it!! Will try all your suggestions.
  • personally i try not to stop completely but just walk its not cheating it all takes time me myself if i stop i really struggle to get going again...goodluck Bonnie.
  • Thanks Macca1,

should I count the walking as a rest period? I will only do this maybe 2-3 times during a 6 mile run - or am I being too fundamental about it? I just cant get out of my head that I am crap unless I can run the whole distance, but the fact that I am actually out there clocking up those miles is an achievment??
  • To me a rest period is a sit down not when your walking.Ive only done a few races but on a couple of occasions ive caught up with people at the beginning of a hill because they are going to walk it, i dont see nothing wrong with it whats the pointof knackering yourself out when you can walk up the hill and then carry on running when you reach the top.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with taking a breather, but keep moving. I have got a 4 mile circuit that I do some lunchtimes and there is 1 hill towards the end that is about 1:4 that is only 50 or so yards long. I am quicker overall if I walk it than if I try to "run" it
  • It's those long slow gradual hills that you wouldn't even know is an incline unless you run them that kill me. I find them so tiring, and I have alot of those near me. I think that is why I tend to be so slow..... Any excuse!!!

But thanks for all the replies. I suppose I just needed reassurance that I am not the only one.

Thanks

• I run about the same pace as you Bronnie and I take walk breaks too. There's nothing wrong with them if you need them and they help you overall. If you didn't take the break you would knacker yourself sooner and not finish the distance.
  • Nothing wrong with walk breaks Bronnie, I still take them on longer runs but do a few shorter ones where you don't need to walk too, it will be good for your morale :-)