"Down Tow, Up Flow" Thames Towpath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Thanks for race pack. However just seen that presentations are at 12.00- ermm think I will still be running then. Hope Im not the only one!
  • I got my race pack thanks.

I just struggled around Wycombe 1/2 in 1.54, I need to get some long runs in this week to try and build some stamina. It's probably a bit late now. Still after the hilly halves i've done this year it will be nice to do a flat one.
  • Hi Jegsy, we will play it a bit by ear re: the presentations. It's hard to strike a balance between catching the first runners before they head off and waiting for the bulk of the runners to come in. But one things for sure .... you won't be on your own!

Cyberwebjaws - I don't think you'll be the only one struggl.ing at the Wycombe Half today, it was so muggy. I heard a few people say they'd found it harder than usual. I did my long run in the afternoon and it was still muggy then!

Snakehips - we talked earlier about the graveyard at Cookham. We have found an alternative route and now won't be going through there - just wanted to let you know so that you aren't confused on the day.
  • Claire
    ran from Maidenhead to Marlow this evening,and due to the adverse weather we have been having,there was a large tree down,on the river streach between bolters lock and cookham.Iam sure it will be moved soon,but just thought you might like to know!!
  • aaah, leave it there. I always like a nice steeplechase!

Got my number. I forget what it is now, but it's somewhere between 0 and 400.
  • Thanks Snakehips - that must have happened overnight, as I ran the route myself from Windsor to Marlow yesterday afternoon! Thanks very much for the warning.

Neal - :-) will leave a section there just for you!
  • My number is 321, lets start a list so we know who to look out for.

Cyberwebjaws, 321, 1.50- 1.59
  • can anyone tell me if they think this is a a realistic PB race? MY problem is that i want to go sub 2 hrs and have never managed faster than 2h04 at richmond last year. I am fitter this year but if its not a PB type course then i dont rate my chances. I have entered a half ironman the weekend after, so by running i potentially mess up my Half IM the week after. If you think its not a PB course because of the gates and bridges, PLEASE let me know. I will still run, i will just set up slowly and use it as a training run instead of braking my balls (which i dont have, i am girl!)
  • Hi Philippa,

My honest opinion would be for you to use this race as a training run and save yourself for the half ironman. there are enough gates and other interesting features to break up your rhythm enough to make it not realistic.

I'm sure you will have a really good, enjoyable run and good luck at the Half Ironman!
  • Hmmm. It's raining, HARD, today. Does anyone think it will be drier running IN the Thames than beside it?!
  • That was my 1000th post. COngratulations to me. Thank you!
  • Not sure if I will be running now. I injured my ankle on Weds. Then went for a mile jog down to the pub last night, and it hurts to walk on it now. It's up the back of the ankle, it feels like I might pulled or torn something.
  • Arrgh cyber u poor thing, fancy pulling something so near to the event. I might b joining u , as ive just found out im almost 3 months pregnant, thats why i struggled to get round the wycombe half, oh well never mind. We can console one another what do you think cyber.

• Come on you Pacemaker -I am looking for a sub 2 hour pacemaker to take me ot a lifetime PB Come on you runners !
  • Is this the same Ron Fraser I recall from British Airways years ago by any chance ? curious Suki
  • Is this the same Ron Fraser I recall from British Airways years ago by any chance ? curious Suki
  • As the plug of water that flooded the Thames headwaters likely to hit east Berkshire in the next 48 hours this race is probably at risk now. The worst of it may well be the other side of Windsor but towpaths are likely to be under water.
  • i would imagine they have to cancel it due to the weather. With more rain due, i would imagine it cant be held?
  • I'm prepared for cancellation too. I was going to run the Thames 13k at Wallingford yesterday but it was cancelled early on race day as the Thames has flooded the towpath all around the area.

I think even if its totally dry between now and race day it will still be very wet underfoot...but we've got more rain to come...
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Yup ... I swung by this thread to see if the race is still on. The route of the Thames Run was apparently 60 per cent under water because of a flood surge moving down the river. And it's peeing down outside as I type ...

I hope this event goes ahead but honestly I'd be surprised if it does.
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry - just back from a fell race in the Brecon Beacons (v. good!).

Obviously there are concerns about the race now, but I just wanted to let you all know that we are monitoring it very carefully and will be in touch directly very soon. I will email everyone to say that we will make a final decision on Saturday. We are looking at all our options and as we are not people who give in easily .... it will have to be a complete no-no before we give up on it. (anyway, we're hardened fell runners now :-)!)

Cyber - really sorry to hear about your injury - hope it clears up quickly.

Speak to you all again if/when I know more.......

Tigeress - congratulations!!!
  • I hope it won't get cancelled....It would be a shame....I have been looking forward to this race for ages....Fingers Crossed;-)
  • Drat ! - I cant see any replies to my request for a sub 2 hours runner - shame about the cancellation risk - will race director kindly advise by Friday? Thanks

• Drat ! - I cant see any replies to my request for a sub 2 hours runner - shame about the cancellation risk - will race director kindly advise by Friday? Thanks

• Suki
    I have done half marathon in 1 hour and 50 mins. I am planning to do this one on 1 hour and 45 mins. But the risk with me is, that I might get a stitch and walk for a while. I don't know what to do about this stich. Very annoying!!!
  • Sorry Suki - Ron FASTER not Ron Frazer from BA.
  • Suki, that's one hell of a stammer you have :-)
  • Thanks Claire so do I, I'm still hopeful of running on Sunday if the race goes ahead, but at the mo it looks doubtfull.