So sweaty, need adbvice

Ok, this is a bit embarrassing, but here goes.

When i run i get VERY sweaty. My face, back arms are all sweaty, but thats ok cos im running, bound to be a bit, you know, damp. But i also sweat 'down there' so it looks as if i've wet myself. I havent, cos it dries with a nice white salty line, (wee doesnt do that, i dont think!)

HELP! Am i a freak?

My hubby says that no-one will be looking at my 'bits', but i said 'if someone passed you and looked like they'd p****d themselves, you would look, dont deny it!'

Any advice anyone?

Edited Tue 24th Jul 2007 10:49 am by awomaninsane
--

Comments

• You are not a freak!!! Black technical running bottoms are the way forward, or find bottoms in a material that doesn't change colour when it gets wet!!
    Hope that helps!
  • sarah when I finished the Stockholm marathon my black shorts were covered with white marks from sweat and salt.

maybe think about what colour and type of shorts you wear when running to minimise what for you is a problem, but I never worry about it myself.
  • Got to agree with rach2005 and Happycat, I sweat like a demon - both running and (more embarrasingly) in the gym (which is always full of teenage blokes), I tend to go for black as it disguises the wet a bit better - but I also go out with a light top tied around my waist - covers the bum if I feel 'obvious'- it does make you more sweaty though. Seriously, most women (and many blokes) are in the same boat, don't let it bother your running and remember to top up your fluids!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    sarah, just got my flm photo through and I spotted horrible white stains on my shorts, no you are not alone!!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Oh black shorts are the best to wear.

Dont worry about the salt marks - it looks pretty cool I think.

Whatever you do - dont wee yourself safe in the knowledge that you have black shorts on and it wont show. Well not if you have forgotten that its your grey shorts you are wearing...

(mentioning no names here)
  • Sarah, my shorts get wringing wet in the gym on some sessions. If people don't like it, they obviously never worked out hard enough. But black techy stuff is best for disguise.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    If you're running, you'll move past people so fast they won't have time to notice!

But seriously, black lycra doesn't show sweat much, although I wouldn't worry about it anyway - who cares what strangers (and probably couch-potato strangers!) think?
  • Black is the only colour and never wear grey marl - the worst for showing sweat.

You could try wearing shorts that are loose fitting so the sweat can evaporate more. Ones with built-in pants, so you can run free (commando!)
  • Sarah, I wonder if something like this might be helpful to you (hope this opens for you):

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/AIL283/

It's a skort - a competition running skirt by made Adidas. Lots of other companies make them too. It has an inner short, and and outer skirt which hides the shorts.
  • waycatwaycat ✭✭✭
    Please forgive the intrusion, but I just wanted to say that I really like the look of the skort.

It is something I have very tempted to invest in, because I too get rather conscious of sweating "down there" and how noticeable it may be, especially when stretching at the end of a workout.

Thanks for the link,Suzanne.
  • Oh, no problem! Glad to help. Or try to.

:-D
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Why do some people (is it only women?) feel embarrassed about having sweat on their shorts?

When I'm covered in sweat, even in the groin area (and do we really need to say "down there"?) my only thoughts about it is that it shows how hard I've been working.

Come on ladies - IT'S NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF! Sweat and be proud!
  • After a run I always look like I've been for a swim. I don't think anybody is surprised to see sweaty runner.

By the way, I've been led to believe that top distance runners actually do pee themselves rather than stop.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    not just top ones MoS - I have been known to do it in some events.......

anyway - I agree with Wilkie - it's nowt to be ashamed of. we all sweat so why get uptight about it??
  • I teach spin and I'm wringing wet at the end of it. The only embarassment is that some people put such little effort into it that they dont even start to glow. They are wasting their time.

I've never noticed sweaty shorts to be honest - just do it and dont worry what anyone else thinks.
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I sweat like a horse, to the point where sweat can be literally flying off me as I run, and I just don't care. I also coach beginner runners, and they are usually quite cheered by the amount I sweat, as it makes them feel less self-conscious!

I think the embarrassment is a hangover from the old idea of "ladies" who "glow" but never sweat. I say stuff that, I'm a runner not a "laydee".