Mums Running Club

Comments

• Minks I think most babies go through a phase of not sleeping during the day, my two did exactly the same. They will then wake at night, and this is when most people start weaning. I started at 5.5 months even though mine were prem. I have friend who has a big baby boy about the same age as Kit and she is looking to start weaning at 20 weeks. His daytime sleeps are awful unless she takes him for a very long walk! And he is waking at night. HV has told her to wait till 6 months, but I don't know anyone who has done that.

When he starts rolling he will tire himself out enough to sleep well during the day.
  • My friend has started the baby rice after another day of bad sleeps and a bad night. He is 19 weeks. Her GP has told her to go ahead even though HV was against it. Think I have a great HV, she is much more willing to give her opinion rather than just the text book answer. She was fine about us weaning early.

Boys do seem much better sick wise today. I used cows milk on their cereal instead of formula and it seems to be better. Fingers crossed!

Janie my two have always been bad. I used to be breast feeding while out and Harry particularly used to then chuck up all over me. Muslin cloths and bibs and lots of them. Now I have wipes everywhere and anti-bac spray at the ready!
  • Just thought I'd share my running diary with you all

Diary of a Running Mum ;-)

Ran the Wycombe Half Marathon yesterday. Completed it in 2hr 9 mins. 2 mins faster than the St Albans half 6 wks ago. (My goal is to run in under 2 hours before the end of the year). Although the time is not really important.

It felt fantastic running, so liberating...

My husband had to go on a business trip on so was not on hand to help with the kids. I drafted in my brother to look after Jonathan (my 3 year old) and my MIL to look after my 9mth old. I got everything ready the night before and left them with instructions.

I really enjoyed the race and wished I could have stayed around afterwards to enjoy the atmosphere. I chatted to a few ladies including a few mums about how to fit in running around the family.

I got back home to find Jonathan wearing a completely different set of clothes to the one's I'd left out he'd picked out his favourites himself.
    He poured a whole bottle of body wash down the bath and couldn't wait to tell me of the programmes he'd been watching (all the ones I normally don't let him watch) He'd had a fantastic time with his Uncle and asked when I'd be going for another race!!
    His uncle said Jonathan told him what to do - (not all of it true!)

I've booked in for the Harlow 10 in 3 weeks and I can't wait! I may not be a fast runner but the freedom is second to none!
    Have a good week all..

• Tonia - well done on the running. I know what you mean about the freedom. I love and appreciate running even more now. I think we all have our own private running goals whether those aimed for times are considered fast or slow...I wouldn't get out as often as I do if I was racing (myself).
    I started weaning Oliver 3 weeks ago, at 24 weeks. Although Oliver is a big baby he was showing none of the classic signs of wanting to be weaned. However, I thought I would start gently with a tiny bit of baby rice so that there is no pressure. 3 weeks on and the whole process is still very weary and messy. He is just not really taking to it. He refuses to open his mouth, or we get some in his mouth (by making him laugh, or when he yawns - which feels very mean) and he coughs, gags or leaves it on his tongue for ages with his mouth open. It doesn't seems to be the taste that bothers him - he's now had carrot, apple, sweet potato - just the feel of it in his mouth and not knowing what to do with it. If he takes the spoon himself he opens his mouth but you can imagine what a mess we get into and how little ends up in his mouth. Sometimes I think we are making headway, then he regresses again. Not worrying yet but imagined the whole thing to be a bit easier. To his credit he is good at drinking water from a learning beaker.

MM - Hi! Nice to catch up with you. You are amazing...and a credit to Gina Ford!! Can't believe you are thinking about another baby. I am still coming to terms with the one :-)
  • Not sure what to suggest Austrorunner, my two have always opened their wee mouths like little baby birds. Keep persevering I guess. Let him play with a spoon a bit so he gets used to it being near his mouth, try eating something yourself at the same time, babies love to copy, or fake by putting it into your mouth and pretend to swallow. He will get the hang of it.

Like I say only issue with my two is the puking. Gave them blueberries with banana from Plum Baby last night, big mistake! Vanish came out for the carpet, and vanish for their bedding! Thank goodness for vanish oxi-action!!

8 month check tomorrow (being done at 9 months!), so will ask HV again about it all, as does drive me mad! Both have colds at the mo which just makes it worse.
  • Hi - lurking a bit on this thread until I qualify to join in properly (c. 3 weeks - although obviously won't be running quite that soon!)

Austrorunner - have you tried both having a spoon? I found I could always sneak in a bit more when my babies were feeding themselves. And soon he'll be big enough for some soft finger food, which can help. I wouldn't worry too much - babies take different times to get used to things and as long as you keep trying different tastes and textures he should be fine.

Sounds like you're all well and enjoying being back to running - I'm really looking forward to being able to go faster than 13 min. miles!
  • Hello Graduated at last!

for those that dont know me from the pregnacy Thread I have 10 day old twin girls called Ella and Milla. we came home from hospital on sunday and they are proving to be really chilled and content babies at the moment (every time I say that I touch wood!)

I had a section and lost alot of blood so exercise is definately out for awhile, went for a short walk this morning for the first time though and it was lovely to stretch my legs and get some fresh air, the girls slept through thier first outing!

Body wise the damage is beginning to become apparant, I was very swollen due to pre eclampsia and it is gradually going leaving a jelly belly and wobbly thighs, but not as bad as i feared!
  • Big snots today from my two, not great. I babysat for a friend last night so a bit weary but good for them to get out. Means we're owed too always a nice feeling!

Hetty I walked every day with my two sometimes twice a day, being the outside type I couldn't bare being shut in. You are doing brilliantly, keep up the good work. I started jogging at 4 weeks, but it did feel like everything would fall out!

Wobble belly goes with lots of those postnatal exercises, worse for us two of course! Also pilates great for getting everything firm again. But beware I still have a belly now although quite firm it does stick out, was a flat tummy before the boys, so looks like it maybe staying given we're 9 months on and am running quite a bit and doing pilates! I can't diet, would get too depressed, so will put up with it!
  • Hello ladies and babies
    Found you thanks to Janie - been a while since I been on forums.
    Jacob now 8mths old - how time flys.
    In training for 10k in Aylesbury in August - yikes.
    GMx
  • Hi GM. Amazing isn't it. Can't believe my two are 9 months. How are you doing?

Joshie projectile vomited his lunch and tea last night. Seems to be much better this morning, but had to cancel everything today in case.

I am entered for half marathon in October. Yes yikes! Have done three 10ks and a 7 miler so far.

Weather so grim today, have huge ironing pile so hope the boys will play nicely together so get on with that!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    MM, thanks for the thoughts about weaning. Kit is very interested in watching hubby and I eating so I think he'll be ready for it when the time comes. I'll probably start weaning him a couple of weeks before he reaches the 6-month mark. He's on anywhere between 32 and 36 ounces of formula a day at the moment so there's no real need to wean yet.

Hetty, I second MM on the belly front. I had a section too so couldn't resume exercise immediately - think I went for my first run at 6 weeks which was against hospital advice but I couldn't bear to wait any longer. It was all fine as I took it VERY gently the first few times. Like MM, my belly is fairly firm again now but is slightly more rounded than the completely flat tummy I had pre-pregnancy. I still need to tone up my thighs a bit, and my upper arms, but I'm pretty happy with how I look after 5 months.

CC - yes, Kit is now sleeping pretty well again. He occasionally stirs at about 5:30am but has learned to settle himself back to sleep 90% of the time. I tried a bit of 'controlled crying' during the day - putting him down for naps and as soon as he started crying, going into his room and reassuring him using my voice only, then going out again and repeating at two-minute intervals until he settled. It only took a day and his sleep has been so much better since. The first day I used the controlled crying he slept right through the night: of course, it was a fluke, but he hasn't woken more than once any night since - and most nights not at all. I think he just needed to be allowed to fall asleep on his own - hubby and I were far too quick to rush in at the slightest murmur and pick him up or give him his dummy. Now we always put him down awake and he usually beams at us as we zip him into his sleeping bag, and settles himself really quickly without crying at all. He's also learned not to cry as soon as he wakes up, but will happily lie in his cot cooing and playing with his toes until we go in and get him up. We were away in Devon last week and he slept like an angel in an unfamiliar cot and bedroom, bless him.

Have to say since having a baby I've really noticed how bad facilities are in most places for feeding/changing them. While on holiday we went to the Eden Project: ONE baby changing/disabled toilet once you'd entered the main area. We had to wait for three other mothers ahead of us, then when I finally got in to change Kit, I was plagued by a woman in a wheelchair banging on the door the entire time. Quite often I found myself changing his nappy or feeding him in the car which was not ideal with the weather we had!!

Forgot to say congrats to Hetty - and welcome to the post-natal thread!
  • Yes we have found that Minks. National Trust places have lovely facilities but you can't get a double buggy through the door! But this is the situation in many places to be honest for us. I do generally have to rely on the good will of others.

Did you have a good break otherwise? We are off on hols in a weeks time to Wales praying the weather improves but not sure it will!!
  • Hello all!

I thought I should make the journey over from Pregnant Lady to Mum! If you don't already know, Hector was born on June 29th after a fantastic home birth and he is doing really well. He's so gorgeous! I wrote up my birth story if you fancy a read (it's long, by the way).

I'm definitely not ready to start running again yet (I think I'll wait until my six week check up - is this with the GP, by the way?) but I do feel good - the jelly belly has gone down pretty quickly (but is decidedly wobbly) and I am able to fasten various pairs of trousers after months and months! To be honest, I'm really not stressing about my post-birth body, I just look at him and feel proud :) I do have a way to go with the weight though, but won't put myself under lots of pressure because it seems to be happening naturally anyway.

I look forward to seeing how everyone gets on with training and I will keep you updated on my own progress.

AP+h xx
  • Janie - congratulations, what an experience! It sounds truly challenging, good to hear you are both well now though. Ah, welcome to the world little Ted, what a gorgeous name you have!

Take care xx

• Welcome Hetty, Janie & AP and all your little ones. It's great to hear all's well regardless of how the births went.
    It becomes a distant memory rather quickly.

Minks - you are right about travel and babies. I find flying such a challenge, changing a wriggly 8 month old in a plane with turbulence is no mean feat.
    I did find Dubai to be an extremely child friendly city, the shopping malls had the largest and cleanest changing facilities I have ever seen.
    There were even buggies at the airport to put the little ones in before the buggies came out of the hold.
  • It has been ages since I have been on this site - it has a new look!

Firstly congrats to Janie and AP - two more wee boys for us! Glad both babies and Mums are doing well now. JT - that's what is important at the end of it that Ted is doing well now. Look after yourselves now - you both deserve the title of Proud Mum!
  • I've read back now! Hetty congrats on your two girls (evens things up here a bit). Really pleased that you are getting better now.
  • Hi everyone,

I have a 13 month old daughter called Evie. I didnt start running for a while after she was born as i could never find the time! You are all so great to get out there and do it.

Anna x
  • I know how you feel Janie T. Harry caught septicaemia in hospital, don't ask me how ;o). Too many blood sugar test pricks I think with dirty hands? He also had IV antibiotics, poor love had a canula which kept falling out and his little tiny hands and ankles were so bruised after the two weeks. It is now a distant memory that horrendous 3 weeks, so fingers crossed you will have the same distant memory soon.

Glad you are home now though and all is well.

Had my two weighed last week, first time in over two months, as going to clinic with twins is a nightmare as noone helps. Harry 16lb3, very tiny!! Joshie 18lb7. Still pretty small for 9 months bless them!
  • hello ladies with babies
    wishing you all health and wealth

my cousin is preggers almost to date as I was last year - she is so lucky we're not getting the heat of last July this year!

do any of your little mites suffer from ezcema (hopefully not) and can recommend any remedies? Jacob is nearly 9mths old and has had on and off since he was 8wks.

GMx
  • Go Martini, my wee James has eczema (8 months) and has seen the dermatologist a couple of times. Thankfully it i much better at the moment - to the extent that he has not worn gloves the last 3 nights.

Gloves really limit the damage - James wears his in the bath and sometimes when we go swimming. We got some from spirit of nature that tie on - unfortunately he is very talented at getting them off. We put them on when he has his nappy changed as when skin is out in hte open he immediately scratches.

Even in hot weather he has to have his legs and arms covered. Long sleeved vests are best as they are tighter round his arms and cover his tummy (he pulls up t shirts and scratches! (Difficult to get long sleeved vests at this time of year though)

Cream does help. However it needs to be so thick. We have a little snowman every nappy change - helps keep your hands soft too.

Also a lot of doctors are afraid of hydrocortisone. 1% which is the most common is a VERY mild steroid. It is much better to be used and to clear up the eczema than to let your child be suffering.

Creams we use are diprobase, doublebase, hydrocortisone and aqueous. The aqueous we just bought a big drum of (from Tesco pharmacy or chemist - really cheap) and we put this on as a soap in the bath. he already has oilatum plus in the bath water (which he drinks) but the aqueous we smother him in then wash most of it off. We still cream him up with the diprobase afterwards.

I think all these creams are available over the counter but also on prescription. I get big prescription drums of the creams and then buy little tubes to keep in his changing bag.

Bath water cooler rather than warmer. Creams should also be applied in the same direction as hair grows (downward motion) as it can irritate if rubbed up and down. Patting dry after the bath rather han rubbing....

Hope this is of some use although you probably know, have tried everything already.

• JT - Ted is gorgeous! How perfect looking - so tiny.....
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Wow, you go away for a week ...

Congratulations to AP and Janie - Janie, the pics are gorgeous! It's hard to believe that Kit was ever that tiny now. It must have been so tough hearing him in pain and seeing his tiny veins so bruised. I know how I'd feel if Kit had to go through anything like that - it would break my heart.

Just got back from a relatively dry week in Wales, staying with my in-laws. Was lovely for them to be able to spend time with their grandson and lovely for hubby and I to have meals cooked for us every night! Got some good runs in in the Welsh hills too - hard going but worth it for the scenery. Was quite surprised to discover that according to their scales, I still weigh the same as when we went up at Easter when Kit was only 6 weeks old. I certainly think I'm slimmer than I was then, and more of my clothes now fit me - either the scales are wrong or I now have loads of muscle which weighs more than the baby flab!

Will take Kit to be weighed tomorrow. He was 14lb 8oz three weeks ago so I wouldn't be surprised if he's heading for 16lb by now. He seemed to eat voraciously for a few days last week so I think he was probably having a growth spurt. He was five months last Friday, bless him - can't believe it really. The time just flies.

AP and Janie, make the most of these early weeks. They do pass in a bit of a blur but try to savour them as much as you can. Before you can blink your new little ones will be a few months old.

Kit's just learned to giggle and it's SO cute! He especially likes to laugh while he's in the bath - I think the sponge tickles!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    AP, have just read your birth story and it made my cry - it was so lovely! Also reminded me of my own labour which was progressing well and calmly before it was discovered that Kit was breech. That moment when you first start feeling contractions is weird, isn't it? I wasn't sure at first if that was what they were - but I was tuned in to expect mine as my waters had broken several hours earlier. Mine certainly didn't break with a bang like yours! I moved in bed to switch off the alarm and felt a gush - stood up and my pyjamas were soaked through. Remember turning to hubby and telling him that he wouldn't be going to work that day!
  • Minks - Sorry to make you cry! I usually put it down to hormones ;)

I can't believe Kit is five months now, didn't that just fly by?! Hector is one month now and I can't work out where that time went. Your little guy is growing well and sounds like he's a joy! Hmmm, scales. I try not to get too caught up in all that, but weighed myself the other day and I'm the same as I was a couple of weeks ago, slightly disappointed because I had thought the weight was dropping off. Must be patient and not worry about it, it takes time!

We've had a difficult few days - Hector seems to be terribly uncomfortable when passing wind, to the point of squealing. It's horrible to see and makes feeding time a bit sad - I can hear his stomach gurgling. I've been drinking fennel tea and massaging his tummy on the advice of my MW, but it doesn't really seem to be easing. Poor little fella - any tips anyone?