Options

Harry Potter 7: For those who've read it... Spoilers!

So, I’ve read it… actually a few hours ago and slower than I expected. Am I still the first?*?!?

Do not read on if you haven’t and don’t want spoilers…
s
s
s
s
s
s
s
s
s
s
s
s
s

Not as much of a ‘bloodbath’ (as JK described it herself) as it could have been: guess it’s probably good for the younger kids reading it that the main characters survived. Though the death count was high and I’m sad about a few that bought it.

Did Harry die? Still debatable I guess! LOL I guess the question that those who wanted to know the ending should have been asking was ‘Is he alive on the last page?’ LOL

Snape’s story was not a surprise to me. I already very strongly suspected he had a thing for Lily and killed Dumbledore on his orders: would have put a bet on it and could link to my speculations on another forum if anyone wants…. still nice to hear the full details. His patronus was a nice twist: when it first appeared I thought it might be Ginny’s.

I thought horcruxes might have been in Albania and the Chamber of Secrets. Well, nearly! LOL

Also one of my personal questions was what was the Ravenclaw ghost? Very satisfactorily answered. *G*

Parts of it felt LOTRish – camping in the woods wearing the horcrux and being affected by it LOL

A lot of it was sort of expected, but so many extras and unexpected slants that it was great!

Anyone else before reading it thought the hallows was a place? LOL

Comments

• Options
    Have to say I was gripped by the whole book, and the way I read it Harry survived unless I missed something? Nice touch naming his 3 kids Lily James and Alubs I thought. A fab end ti what has been a fab series of books.
  • Options
    Sorry, Alubs should obviously be Albus!!
  • Options
    ScreamScream ✭✭✭
    Thank Rowan. Don't have to read any of them now :-)
  • Options
    Yes he did survive. The question was did he die? Still debatable if you ask me. Way I read it Voldemort was sort of a horcrux for him.
  • Options
    I finished it at about 7.30 last night :o)

the *only* thing that got me as being 'wrong' or 'out of place' was in the last chapter, when one of the kids goes on about Remus and Tonks' son snogging (presumably) Bill & Fleurs daughter - now wouldn't young master Lupin be about 19/20 by now, and have left school??

all in all very good
  • Options
    Explaining what I mean further... so he was on the edge of death, as Voldermort was when he first tried to kill Harry. But his blood being in Voldermort and him having the hallows meant he could return to his body, which he choose to do.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting until I get to the place with the best price, but I couldn't stand the suspense so I went into my local bookshop and read the last 3 pages...
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Moo that's cheating! (It's only a fiver in Asda).

I thought the last chapter was cheesy.

I didn't like Rowling's use of bad language, in that Ron Weasley calls someone a b'stard. This is supposed to be a children's book.

• Options
    Mouse- I know:(( Sadly, I'm nowhere near an ASDA. I also cheated and looked at the Formula 1 results because I missed it today:((
  • Options
    Shame you missed the F1 moomoo, was cracking with that flash flooding!
  • Options
    My Mum called and told me all about it! It sounds like Spa some years ago when a whole bunch of people bashed into each other at the first corner while sheets of rain were pouring down...
  • Options
    mouse the word bastard should be taught to children.

Cos if mummy and daddy are not married.

Morals in the country need to be brought up to scatch.

yours
    edwardian gaurdian
  • Options
    fraggle - it's explained that he (Tonks son) has come to see her off (fresh in my mind...finished 2 minutes ago!)

I felt the book was a bit drawn out with too much explaining needed to tie up the loose ends. OK for adults, but are kids really going to wade through explanations of "he beat him, not him, and he died through choice so that's different"? But I've just read 600 pages in less than 24 hours so I guess it must be more compelling than I think!
  • Options
    thanks HH - I did finish it after a long day;s reading, was probably a bit cross-eyed by that point lol!
  • Options
    'but are kids really going to wade through explanations of "he beat him, not him, and he died through choice so that's different"? '

If they've got to the 7th book in the series then I think they can cope *G*
  • Options
    I'm still on Topsy and Tim, myself.
  • Options
    Both family copies of HP are away from home at the moment but if I've finished The Poisonwood Bible by the time they return, I'll get stuck in.
  • Options
    I'd rather watch the films to be honest.
  • Options
    oooh no! the books are *so* much better!
  • Options
    I'm just a bit worried that, being children's books, the style might grate a bit.
  • Options
    Obviously they're aimed at children, but I find them well written - borrow one from the library and see :o)
  • Options
    You've convinced me. I'll give one a go.
  • Options
    To a certain extent they are written with people of the same age as Harry in mind: so a year older each one, going from 11 to 17. So besides much death and torture the last one even includes an example of swearing *G* You really need to read them in order, but bear that in mind if you find the first one a bit 'young'. My neices prefer the first few because they don't like it when Harry starts going out with girls! LOL
  • Options
    I found the book compelling reading and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I do think that the last couple may be a bit much for kids though.

I just loved the last sentence of this last book, an air of satisfied conclusion.

There were no real surprises in it for me, the Snape thing was a bit obvious. Lots of death and bloodthirstyness in this one, I don't know how they'll manage the film when they make it - it won't be a 'U' that's for sure.

I - a supposedly grown up woman - got particularly upset when Hedwig died!

One day, I'll read them all again from beginning to end, JK deserves the fame and fortune she's accrued IMO!
  • Options
    I must admit I'm not a fan.

I read the first one, and thought it very poor indeed. Saw 3 of the films, and found them formulaic.

Hard to agree that she "deserves the fame and fortune". Don't get me wrong, she's hit on a winning formula, and good luck to her. She certainly deserves success. But I find it hard to accept that the achievement is worth billions of pounds compared to the really good writers I've read who get no publicity, and probably barely survive. It's not how the market works, I know, but on writing ability/artistic merit, I can't agree that her undoubted talents 'deserve' thousands of times more reward than many others. She deserves reward but it seems disproportionate to me.

The Harry Potter thing became a phenomemon, a craze, and this fuelled the success more than the intrinsic quality.

But I doubt if many on this thread will agree!
  • Options
    I suppose I was thinking of the 'fairy tale' type story that is hers RC. She's gone from rags to riches and seems fairly unspoilt by it on the surface.

I do agree with you on the point of the really good writers etc. I suspect that people have to be in the right place at the right time and catch the market just right as well. The same happens to other artistic type talent like entertainers etc. There is some excellent talent on the club ciruit who just can't seem to get the breaks.

What JK has done though, is to get people/children to read proper books. Some may even get a taste for more and find themselves reading a wider literature. A few years ago, I saw children reading HP avidly, and families are having to buy more than one copy to save the quarreling!!! Now that must be worth something!
  • Options
    i cried and cried when dobby was stabbed

• Options
    we have two copies sue

• Options
    "What JK has done though, is to get people/children to read proper books"

I disagree, children don't read because their parents do not encourage them to read and/or provide decent literature for them to read.
  • Options
    loved it from start to finish. been waiting ages for this one to come out, although am a little sad now that the story is complete. now what will i read next ??