My Last Run

Comments

• Wednesday 01/08/07 - 7:30 pm - Race - Pie and Peas, Moulton.

5 miles - 31:05.22 - (6:13/mile average) - 242 ft ascent - Nike Air Zoom Ekiden.

I was feeling a bit apprehensive about tonight's race. The start was mental and it was a full on sprint to get a good positition through the gap, soon settled in behind someone I knew, I'd normally beat them but I thought I'd pace myself off them for the first mile or so. Passed them on the river and started picking up more places, I was feeling really good and when we got to the hill I didn't lose any ground, infact I actually made up some which is a change, in a good way. I ran hard to the finish and was made up with my performance.

Great run plus a fine pea and peas meal at the end, what more could you ask for?!

Chris.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Well done Chris!

Wednesday evening-
    5 miles up and down on the South Downs in 54.50. Hadn't done any off road for a while and felt hard - but the scenery made it worth the effort.
  • 30/07/07

A mere 4 miles on a sunny Monday morning.
    Time 37 mins

One of those runs where you put your iPod on and all the right songs come on, and you just want to wave your arms about with the joy of doing something you love. It was all road, hilly and not the prettiest of my runs but I loved it simply because I hadn't done this route in a while.

5 miles tomorrow at the crack of dawn with husband...should be lovely.
  • that last line should read "pie and peas" as peas with more peas doesn't sound to interesting.
  • 02/08/07 - 7.2m - 1:07:48 C- 963 F- 124 HRT 182
    For the first time that I can remember in a while, I slept through to the alarm this morning. So getting up was quite hard. You can tell the days are shortening now in the mornings as the sun was nowhere to be seen but the broken clouds had a golden edge to them. Good news as the run progressed the morning turned out to be lovely again.
    The run never amounted to too much effort, and the heart rate never really moved. Not much to write about today except I must try harder next time. Maybe I should write it out a hundred times.
    Jog watch measly 2
  • 2/8/07 - 6.15pm
    Club session - 3 laps of a 0.65mi loop through the sand dunes with 2 min recovery (plus warmup and warmdown along the beach). I'm suffering from very tired legs this week but there is something so exhilarating about running full pelt down a sand dune! Combined with a lovely sunny evening and the banter with my clubmates, it made for a very pleasant run.
  • Wow Ferdy - sounds like you have really nice club sessions.

Thursday 2nd August
    3 miles (27 mins) with a tempo pick up in the middle along the Thames Path at Kingston towards Hampton Court. Stopped after each mile to do press-ups and tri dips

Quite hot and muggy out there today which felt great after all the miserable weather. Good to see peeps out and about enjoying the sunshine

:o)

Marshallini LOL!
  • Happychap - the beach runs are my favourite (the joys of living on the coast) but I enjoy most of our club sessions - I've a very sociable runner :-)

Stopping to do press-ups and tri dips every mile is very impressive!!
  • Sociable is good - our coached speedwork evening gained popularity when the coach said we all earned a glass of wine after each session.

Although a glass of wine after each rep might have been better ;o)
  • waycatwaycat ✭✭✭
    9 km in 50 minutes this morning - OK, so I admit it was on the treadmill and not outside, but hey - only a couple of weeks ago I was concerned about running for just 10 minutes incase I did myself some damage!

I can feel my legs now, but in a good way, not a painful way.

Next run will probably be Saturday or, failing that, Monday.
  • Thursday 02/08/07 - 1:30 pm - Trail Time Trial - Quarry Carpark/Frodsham.

10.3 miles - 1:23:40.12 - (8:07/mile) - 2013 ft ascent. - Mountain Bear Gladiators(1).

Haven't run this course aggressively before but set off with the intention of breaking 1:32:42 or 9 min/mile pace (previous best 1:37:24).
    WOW! I was suprised to see my time when I finished and I know I can go a lot faster and if you take out getting held up by walkers I can easily beat my target of 1:22:24 next time and I thought would take quite a while.

Only bad point, I went over on my ankle with about 200m to go, it's not bad, I've had worse. But getting some good out of something bad, at least it'll force me to have a day off and this'll only benefit my race on Sunday.

Brilliant run! (I'm having a lot of them at the moment, brilliant!)

Chris.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    4.76 miles up on the South Downs - it took 57 minutes. I found that I could power walk up some bits of the ups quicker than I could run! I guess that's why I marshall at the Beachy head marathon and don't unr it?!
    Lovely day to be out on the hills though.
  • 04/08/07 - 8.3m C 1, 289 F 166g H 197
    Wow that was hot! After lying in this morning and not getting out until after 8:00am I set off for an attempt at maybe 10+. It never materialised. I have felt down all week and wanted to test myself atoday but the sun was out and it was baking down. I spent 90%+ in the direct sunlight. It was hard work. No extra effort, just going through the motions. Plus the run down the A40 was atouch more fraught as there was loads of traffic at that time of the day. Including some daft bitch stopping in the fast lane approach to the M40 to flag down a white van to ask him directions! I kid you not. she had a map in her hand and was discussing which road to take! I have never seen anything like it. My run ventured past Emzy's house, so I shouted good luck because she gets married today.
    Jog watch today saw 6 girlies in a group running down the Greenway, good sioght after seven miles.
  • Doing a 7 mile course at the moment 3 times a week. Only been doing it for 3 weeks and i run it both ways, ie starting with the hill 1 time and then the next time ending it with the hill. Times so far;

56 mins
    55:33
    55:21
    55:45 opposite way
    54:01
    53:57 opposite way
    52:58
    52:47 opposite way
    51:58 opposite way

Getting better(slowly) funny really never check my time until i get back to my front door when i stop my stopwatch because some days i think ive had a crap run and really there isnt a lot of difference in my times.....happy plodding :-)
  • 5.33 miles last night in 54.26, would have managed it quicker as I was doing 9 min miles until after 3 miles decided to run along the riverbank, BIG mistake, the grass was really high and the ground really uneven so had to walk some of it and it was knackering

too hot today to run!
  • Today

Was supposed to be 9 mile drop down week from marathon schedule. Feet sore from yesterday's festival in Manchester, shattered, bit of a chest infection so coughing like a dead man, and way too hot already at 10.00am.

Walked home after a mile.

Try again another day!
  • Saturday 4th August

Out just before 8am, should have gone out earlier but had a late night on Friday and struggled to get motivated.

I was going to run at least 8 miles but it was far too hot and although I decided to run along the seafront,there was very little breeze, managed just under 6 miles in just on an hour.
  • 16k cross-country. 7.30 pm.

Lovely weather for a change and a really nice run.

No real twinges and full of running at the end.

My longest plod in 10 months.
  • It is great reading all your post's, it is a new inspiration! This is my latest:
    05/08/07 - 7.2m C 1,180 F 152g H 200
    This one not out of the top drawer but the top of the grill. It must have been 26 outside as I started off, with the sun just going down as I needed. Leaving off for an evening run just after 7pm was an hour too soon. Unbelievably hot again. The time doesn't matter but my cap was wringable! I sweated so much. Everything seemed so hard. From the start off to the final straight, the effort needed was tough. Still rather that than pouring rain. Perhaps I ran too soon after yesterdays tough run in the heat but after some beer last night at the reception I wanted to sweat that out and burn off some of the food eaten. I thinjk I've done that with near enough a days calorie count wiped off in two days, wicked. Cannot wait until my next run, hopefully it will be cooler, bring it on!
  • BB ✭✭✭
    No running Saturday as up watching a friend do the London Tri - a great day, inspirational - planned to do 12 mile LSR yesterday. It was too hot in the day and in the evening ended up walking on the beach and then having tapas, margarita and ice cream instead of LSR, sooo up early this morning to do it before it got too hot.

Porridge to fortify me and then out by about 7.30 (which is early for me)did 13.1 miles in 2:17:22 - this is the longest distance I have run and I find it pretty hard going above 10 miles - but I guess it will get easier if I keep doing it. Have entered the Great South Run - 12 weeks to go!
  • "B" very impressive, One day I'll get to 13 miles.

07/08/07 - 7.2m 1:06:44
    Was this the perfect morning? I suppose it could have been through a wild forest or a scenic glen but as far as suburbia goes this has to be up there. I poked my head from behind the door at about 5.20am and it was still lightening up (the dark morning's are coming). The clouds had their red burnt edges of sunrise from behind the houses. Lovely and cool, yes this was the best. A purposefull run today, definitely had more energy than the last two, that's for sure. My gait was better and the tempo faster. The sun didn't get into my eyes until the last mile at the Red Lion and there were no hold ups. i could have run for more today but alas, work calls!
    Not a single runner out there today apart from me. what's more I could not find my HRM this morning.
  • Hello All,

I’m posting 4 replies here as my pc has been down for a few days and although this is supposed to be a “my last run” thread and technically the first 3 posts aren’t my last run but I still want to share them with you.

Saturday 04/08/07 – 1:45pm - Easy jog – Guilden Sutton.

3.75 miles – 28.01.07 – (7.28/mile) – 116 ft – Nike Air Zoom Ekiden.

Didn’t run Friday as I was resting my tweaked ankle and today was just an easy jog although I threw in 2 half miles at a swifter pace, the ankle is fine, no pain whatsoever. So it’s all systems go for tomorrow.

Happy.

Chris.

• Sunday 05/08/07 – 9:30am – Race – Sale 10, Wythenshawe Park.

10 miles – 1:01:57.23 – (6:11.7/mile) – 113ft asc. _ Nike Vaporfly.

I had targeted this race as an attempt at Sub 1 hour but it was obvious going into it that that was out of the question. So with revised targets I set of after a PB anyway.
    First lap I took it easy and felt ok although it was very warm. Lap 2 was not a good lap lost a bit of ground on the group ahead. Lap 3 I turned it around and started to catch and then pass people from the group, lap four was the similar to lap 3, finished in a disappointing time but still a pb, but I’m more I’m happy with the way I ran the last two laps.

Overall a good run.

Post race cool down jog - 2.66 miles – 21:58:27 (8:15/mile) – 23 ft asc.

Chris.
  • Monday 06/08/07 – 11:00 am – Easy Run – Gresty’s Waste, Delamere.

7.68 miles – 1:01:01.65 (7:56/mile) – 504 ft asc. – Mountain Bear Gladiators(1).

Nice easy jog up the Sandstone Trail and around Blakemere Moss. Pace was quite nice early on but dropped off a bit towards the end. But it’s just nice to be out in the country again.

Chris.
  • Monday 8.81 miles 1.30:26 long run, aiming to get this up to 10 miles, a bit crap compared to Chris' efforts (above!)
  • Fatgirlslim - you shouldn't compare yourself to others and put yourself down, we all perform at different levels, you're doing great! keep it up!

“My Last Run”

Tuesday 07/08/07 – 7:00 pm – Tempo Run –Canal.

19 miles - 2:04:30 – (6:33/mile) – 399 ft asc. – Nike Vaporfly.

Was really up for my run this morning but came down with a bit of a migraine and went back to bed.

Wasn’t sure what I’d run like this evening but set off at the desired pace, in fact slightly faster. When I got to the turn around point (6 miles) I carried on, the canal has markers every half mile but some are easy to miss and this caused me to carry on again to the next one so I’d already extended a 12 mile run by 3 miles, but when I got back to the point where you come off the canal I was still feeling relatively good and the pace hadn't dropped below the original target pace so I extended again, and again (more missed markers) taking it up to 19 miles.

The time is only approximate as I stopped my watch at 7.5 miles and restarted it 8.5, so I’ve just added the time for 1 mile at the average pace for the whole run.

To be honest this is one of the best runs I’ve ever done!

Nice.

Chris.
  • Well done Kittenkat, great effort, my "last run" was a pre marathon confidence booster as well, keep it up!