New to running

Hi
I have just recently started running (two weeks now) I try to go 2 -3 times a week. I think my breathing is starting to get there. I go running on my own. I find myself thinking about the running too much and then I lose it and want to finish and go home. Any suggestions, as the first couple of times I really enjoyed it, I still do, and I want to stick at it.

Comments

• Hi Ellen.
    Firstly - congratulations on starting to run. You'll find you're not alone here in being new to running and you'll get some great support and advice.

I run alone too and I found that sticking to the Runner's World 5k training plan really helped. This means that you concentrate on timing your runs and your walks and, before you know it, you are running longer and longer distances!

Do you have something to aim for as a goal -perhaps a Race for Life or local Fun Run? This could give you some structure and focus your running.

Heather :0)
  • If you're finding yourself thinking too much then trying distracting yourself with a walkman - listen to some music that has a similar tempo to your preferred running speed and that may help

Keep it up!
    Enjoy
  • I have thought about the walkman, but didnt know if it would bother me when I m running. Like bobbing about when I run.
    I am running to help loose a little weight and to get fit. Im may do a run once I feel more confident.
    Thanks for your suggestions
  • Don't need to be too confident for the Run for Life races because lots of people walk. Therefore a mixture of run/walk will be fine and it gives you a huge buzz while raising money for Cancer Research UK
  • Take a friend!

I did it with afriend with little training and neither of us are very fit. We ran about 2 out of the 5 km.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ellen on your stepping OUT!!

I am one who writes a lot, so starting a record of all my "outings" or "sessions" came naturally to me and helped me loads cos improvement can be quite dramatic in the first few weeks & months

Firstly I had no-one to go out with - the idea of running came from my sister who was already a RUNNER - but living 300 miles away! but also I was not at all slim and felt a bit foolish, but it was just great to go out (I'm fortunate to live in a scenic coastal area) with just a bottle of water and a key!!

But I did have a GOAL of a 5-mile race which was 9 weeks away. After the second week of "starting running" I decided to do 5 miles - mostly walking ofcourse at that stage, it took me 80 mins and included some running. It was a hot day and when I got home my face was bright red & my HR stayed at 100 for quite a while ... I was 11 stone 8lbs and my RHR was 76.

I timed everything and tried to measure distances too. I checked my pulse in the morning and weight once a week. Although later I realised measuring my shape would have been more helpful as muscle weighs heavier than fat, so as you tone up, your wobble goes and your shape changes - whoops, well I had quite a lot of wobble ... !

Things improved - and I found having a record of my own Times over the same routes was a HUGE encouragement, I am now trying to work on ways to help beginners in the WRN (womens running network) and I would say WALK a lot too, even once you are able to run further continuously ...

do you do any other exercise? cycling, swimming, dancing?
  • Hi Paskha

It that sounds like me. I only really thought about running as my husband runs alot(he is in the army). He gives me lots of encouragement, I dont think I could go out with him yet as he runs far too fast for my liking, or my pace, which at the moment is alot of walking!
    I sometimes go to the qym, and use the weights etc. To be honest at the minute things are hectic as we have just moved, but Im really trying to get into this. I have tries before and failed but this time seems different. Im alot more positive this time, and more determined.
    I have joined a slimming class as well, which is going well, although only three weeks into it. I will take your advice and get a tape measure to see the inches move rather than pounds!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Well done Ellen one thing i would say is if you are running outside don't wear a walkman as you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times.
  • Actually your right Pam. I actually run with my mobile with me. Maybe Im paranoid, but you never know.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hi Ellen i have ran with a mobile in the past; not something i have always done but its better to be safe than sorry; maybe i should do so on a more regular basis.
  • Hi Pam. Am having a quick check on the forums before I get on with all the things I should be doing!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    know the feeling. iam off work but i suppose theres stuff i should be doing anhow making the most of it as i have to go back on monday
  • I'm off to work in an hours time should relly be doing boring domestic stuff like pairing up the sock mountain etc.
  • Hi Ellen. I started about 18 months ago. I'll never forget my 1st mile....I walked half of it took well over 12 mins and my husband thought I must have damaged something when I came home so red faced.

I did my first half marathon last week. I tend to enjoy the first few miles but then cause I run alone I start to get bored too. I find doing an out and back route or a circle helps as it is too difficult to run past your own front door when you're bored. I also do sums or or tough hills sing a favorite song in my head....not out loud...people think you are mad enought to be running already .

Keep up the good work...hope to see you at a race sometime soon......you'll be there, you won't be able to help yourself

Good luck.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    what songs do you sing SP...

... i wouldn't sing aloud anyway if i could i suppose i should be running faster
  • Hi SP
    Thaks for you message. I know what you mean about running past your front door. Too much emptation. Maybe Ill try the singing thing, not that Im any good at it. But who cares. I think my neighbours already think Im mad anyway, as I went out runnin the other night and it was raining, one old man said I must be mental, says him walking in the rain!!
    I actually found it quite refreshing.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    At least the rain cools you down

The other day i was running in a downpour and some woman i know said "its not ideal weather to be out running" and i replied its refreshing and it keeps you cool
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hi helen welcome i'm regaining my fitness as i used to run then stopped. How are you doing?
    This forum is very motivating and full of inspirational people.