Sub 3

Comments

• CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    BTW fantastically well done to all the Yately runners, bloody fantastic times...
  • CM - I'll be going by feel. Many track runners take 2 weeks off completely, but I'd be worried that my legs would fall off if I did the same, hence I'll limit things to easy jogging for about 10 days - really just an extended easy week with no structured plan.

Last year I was coming into form prior to the break, so I just treated it as a real easy week, after which I ran sub 56 in the CP10, caught a cold (took 2 easy weeks), then played catch up for a week prior to smashing my 10km pb by a minute. I went on to run 16:18 for 5000m in a training session the following week - the break(s) seemed to provide ample rest for my body.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Bloody outstanding JEJ 32 on the road soon
    Happy your training chap thinks 5 weeks out is about right.

Well run Blisters

I'm on the track tomorrow 5km and 3000 SC I will probably cruise the 5k and take B race points and try to lower my 3000SC time a little BUT I am closing in on a second consecutive 100 mile week and not sure how much I have left in my legs.

Cartman

re breaks, I'm having a week of ZERO running in November followed by 3 weeks easy (20,30,40 miles) before restarting correct training in December.
  • coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    A degree of self-doubt is creeping in. Is my Oct schedule a recipe for disaster - 10k, HM, M all within 20 days? I think I will have to look at Beachy Head as a ‘fun day out’ rather than running it too hard. I'm also supposed to be sailing in a 3-day regatta at the end Sept in the Solent (this is an annual event run by European space community - I had to miss the previous 2 years which were held in Martinique and Italy due to supporting satellite launches; Portsmouth doesn’t quite have the same appeal (sorry TR) – I maybe asking you for some local training routes). Baby (still not arrived), sailing and some tough races - an EOS break sounds like a damn good idea.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    cheers Jej, Gobi, certainly think that I will be doing something very similar.. I'm pretty conwinced that I've been overtraining for quite a few months..
  • CM - I wouldn't be afraid of taking a bit of time off. I had two weeks off completely back in early April. I didn't really want to, but I promised the wife I wouldn't run while we were on hols. It felt like I was wasting my fitness at the time, but looking back I reckon it set me up nicely for the surge in mileage and intensity that is starting to pay off now.

Got talked into doing the 10k leg of a triathlon relay tmrw - the Michelob London one - anyone else gonna be up there? Flipper? Will be jogging it with a stinking hangover as have end of season tennis p!ss up tonight. We won our national league division this year which means we have £500 prize money to spend on beer and curry between 8 of us. Could get messy.

(Wimmin's game I know RB, but the prize money is better than running...)
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    NM2

I'm up in London on Sunday doing something for the BBC. They want me to do some spotting Elite racers and in return they will give me free race next year.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pb and place Blisters.

In terms of rest, I'll probably only do 2 or 3 gentle 5-milers in the week after Jersey and probably a full week off over Christmas.

coronium - I don't think it's too much as long as you accept that you can't run all of them hard, which you've said yourself anyway. If it were me, I'd pick my main target race and then set target paces for the other two around that...
  • Flipper - will miss you coz I'm running Saturday.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Coro

The 10km and HM will be fine it will all come down to how you feel on the day when it comes to Beachy head.

Although the non running side of the schedule looks tough.

JEJ, did you go shopping ??
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    In terms of rest periods, last year I decided to take a 4 week trip on the trans-Siberian railway. I kind of assumed that when not on the train (about 3 weeks out of the 4) I would train, but didn't factor in that I'd be in some pretty dodgy towns (Ekaterinburg and Irkutsk, for instance, have a certain atmosphere) where it wasn't safe for me to run alone (last time I go on a 4 week holiday with a non-runner...). Upshot is that I think I managed all of about 5 runs (1 hour each ) in the entire trip. I did do some walking in Siberian forests and some horse-riding in Mongolia (!) but it was hardly intense exercise. I was surpised that I was able to slot back into 50 mile weeks (then close to my max mileage) pretty easily. Now, 4 weeks is a bit extreme, but 1-2 weeks no/little running as a planned, structured break is fine.
  • Thanks for the tips on the injury. I think I will take a couple of days rest and see where that gets me. NM2 - I may then follow your proposal!!

JEJ, where are you staying in NYC? I am there from the 6th to the 9th. I have been running in Central Park when the NYRR 5 miler is in progress and I would fancy your chances of doing well in it.

Good luck to all the weekend runners!
  • Great run Blisters, although, with your brilliant 10k PB time this year, I expected something sub 24. In case you didn't realise, the dalek is not doing Amsterdam, I'm doing DMV, so I'll see you there.

Turned up to my club last night and chatted to the V50 I beat at our 5k handicap on Saturday.

He's taken his defeat so badly, it is rumoured that he's made a voodoo doll of me, and has been sticking pins into it.

Nothing like a bit of friendly club rivalry.

Yet to be confirmed, but it could be that I've also got the Trent Park all comers V50 handicap 5k record to go with my much envied Faroes marathon all comers title.

Eat your heart out CRABBO.

Dull
  • NDO - I have me an air conditioned flat on Riverside Bvd, usefully located about 2 blocks from central park.
    That race has been fast in previous years - attracting several elite athletes. A quick guy who has since joined my club ran sub 25 there a few years back which I think placed him outside the top 10.

I purchased a £3 polo shirt and some £4 shorts (of the swimming variety) for a very smartly dressed 34mins @ 6:30's.

Dull - I'm jealous. Last night's result only places me 21st in Viccy Park's all-time 3.5 mile list. Then as soon as some of the newer (metric) records (eg 33:03 10km) get within my reach, Mr Fast joins the club, liases with me regarding race schedules and elects to enter all the same ones. Even if I was to break the old 10km record next month, I fear there will have been a new one set 2 minutes before I cross the line. :-(
  • JEJ - nice run yesterday, i was going to come and watch it but err... well seems like you didn't need my support anyway.

I think you should be trying for the club mile record really - the track one has stood since 1957!

Swimble for me later.
  • Geewok - Thanks for the suggestion, but I have more chance with 1956 marathon record - that's assuming the character mentioned above doesn't beat me to it with a likely 2:1x

(For the benefit of anybody who is interested, the mile record is 4:09)
  • I think a true all-rounder would try and hold both records ;-)
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    unlucky JEJ

you could always join my club and have all the records :¬)
  • JEJ Try voodoo on Mr Fast. Concentrate on sticking the pins into his legs.
  • Dull, thanks for the confidence vote (or wrist slap?). However this 4 miler has a testy little 100 foot hill in mile 2 which adds about 15 seconds, no matter how you look at it.

The rivalry was almost tactical this time out. First placed boy was a ringer who should have been banned for speeding, leaving us in the "nearly too fast" bracket to have a go. You see, there's a top end cut off at 24 minutes/4 miles or equivalent.

It was cat and mouse for the whole race, with no more than 2 metres between us after he had closed down my first mile. I tried to break him and a third person with 800 to go, and we dropped the other guy. I knew that my rival had legs, so I went again with 300 to go. He knew that was my tactic, so hung on and outsprinted me in the last few metres.

Again.
  • Dartmoor Vale sub 3 hopefuls:

Blisters
    Dull Napoleon
    Ouch Ouch

When I applied I suggested that I might be forming a team. Anyone know how many are needed?
  • Hail Hail

Well done all the Yateley-ers. Outstanding results chaps! And those who raced elsewhere get a big pat on the back too.

Have decided to withdraw from my planned half on Sunday. I havent run since Tues morning, and whilst my calf seems a tad better, its nowhere near racing standard. If anything, my left aductor (which gave me some gyp before Edinburgh) is playing up too. This is an obvious case of over-training from last weeks big jump in mileage. It all felt good at the time, but I'm paying for it now.

Have decided that I'll take another full week off, then come back slowly. This break is getting me down pretty badly TBH (bear with a sore head if I cant get a run), but it is a neccessary evil in order to come back to proper running. I've decided NOT to do an Autumn marathon, and whilst this is very gutting also, I'm in the fortunate position that I already have my Champs place for FLM 08. So, the whole winter will be devoted to some properly structured training (and not just run as many miles as fast as you can with a few intervals thrown in for good measure).

Since I'm not able to run, I may be forced into F-Atkins for a wee while in order to try and keep the weight under control. Not gonna enjoy this I think.
  • Flipper - I might draft you in the swim for a yard or two if I catch a good wave!! Be good to see you though. Make sure you have a ruby Sat night there are some great bushes ;o)

As you were.
  • I'll meet you and raise you

11 stone 6
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    11st 10 step back chunky 10k runner coming through
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The latest instalment of my 'exciting friday nights' series: watched the athletics (couldn't see any drooling PJers when Isinbayeva was pole vaulting, but I hope TR and family had fun) and then went for an 8 mile run.

Wildlife of note: 1 frog. Gave it a kiss, but sadly no handsome prince. Ah well.

We're doing weight declarations again? Disgusted to find this morning that I'm a whole pound heavier: 7st 6lb. BMI will be 19 before I know it ;-)
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CRAB

I've asked Roger Wakeling to put a portaloo at the top of the hill on Ballard Down just in case. Watch where you tread on the uneven hill as I may have laid something out for you.
    There is a guy from my club in our wave. Very similar in the swim and bike to me but should have him fairly easy on the run as long as he doesn't get too far ahead on the bike as he's good on hills. Camping at a site near Langton Matravers with me Mrs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    E-O-S breaks.

I'd like to do some training that warranted a rest period first.

Gobi, a WEEK of zero running my arse !

Just some PJ's for me today, bagged four 7 milers this week, plus swims and pedals.
    Might try and run a bit further today.

I think I'm in love with Isinbeyeva, not that we saw much of her - 3 vaults total. Some of those fillie pole vaulters have certainly got it going on (just like Stacey's mom).

Funny how the fastest runners eg Warriner and Gay, looked like they were running the slowest in terms of cadence and effort.

Coronium, I'll give you some routes but you're too fast for me to run with, and I'm supposed to be up Pug's part of the world by then !!