Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Posting for the first time in a few weeks -did a 15 mile long run at the weekend and felt reasonably pleased with his until I saw online that others already at 20 miles - oh well each to his/her own.

Using the FIRST training programme (3 runs only per week) and one of my additional cross-training sessions is now a weekly 3-5 hour hillwalk carrying (in her baby-carrying rucksack) my 11 month old daughter which has the aditonal benefit of getting harder each week as she gets heavier!

Agree that setting time target this far out is not really sensible - in my vast experience (2 marathons so far!) - you get the results of your training; so surely better to wait to see how that training goes before deciding on a specific target nearer the race.
  • Posting for the first time in a few weeks -did a 15 mile long run at the weekend and felt reasonably pleased with his until I saw online that others already at 20 miles - oh well each to his/her own.

Using the FIRST training programme (3 runs only per week) and one of my additional cross-training sessions is now a weekly 3-5 hour hillwalk carrying (in her baby-carrying rucksack) my 11 month old daughter which has the aditonal benefit of getting harder each week as she gets heavier!

Agree that setting time target this far out is not really sensible - in my vast experience (2 marathons so far!) - you get the results of your training; so surely better to wait to see how that training goes before deciding on a specific target nearer the race.
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Setting an overly rigid and/or unrealistic target is not sensible but I find it quite helpful to have something to `shoot for` so to speak. Adjustments are inevitably made as training progresses but for someone who has done one or more marathons it`s generally possibly to come up with an achievable finish time or range of finish times.
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    20 miles! Gosh, I'm still lazing on the sofa eating donuts and drinking beer.

Do you think I should go out for run round the block - loosen up a bit?
  • My plan is to be on the 20 milers by the end of next month and try to get 4-5 in before the marathon. Upto half marathon distance as of last Saturdy. Ive got a trail race on Sunday, after that the long runs are going up to 15+ mile I hope.
  • Hows everyone doing? i've had a bit of a setback this week had sore shins and ankle pains so thought it was best not to run this week. went to the physio for a sports massage yesterday and thankfully was told that they couldn't feel any signs of injury, my legs are in good shape, so thats a relief. Going to take it easy for a week or 2 more just do some swimming and cycling to keep the CV levels up but no impact work, give my legs a rest. Also visited my local running shop for some advice on my footwear and turns out i was wearing the wrong trainers offering me no support. oops hopefully with a bit of rest and my new shoes i should be back and freshed in a couple of weeks :)

Hats of to the London marathon shop, the guy in there who i spoke to was really helpful.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Mark - sounds like a short rest and new shoes is a good idea.

Tempo run tonite - the usual seafront 10K (East Sussex) in driving rain and wind. Well, it is nearly August! 49:28. MUST do LSR Sunday, as missed last week's.

So who's received Marathon News and already posted their FLM entry form for next year? Received mine on Wednesday and will be posting tomorrow.
  • After last weeks half marathon it seems to have given me a real incentive to do long runs. I did 9.6 miles 2 days after the race and 12.7 on thursday, followed by a 5.9 mile recovery run the day after.
    Really lookig forward to tomorrows trail race and hoping to PB it.
  • nice one Dave, best of luck for your race tomorrow.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Good running Dave. Hope the trail race was OK.

Did LSR this morning - 18 miles (should have been 20, but missed last week's LSR of 17). 2:42:18 - average pace 9:01/mile. Started slow - first 9 miles were all over 9m/m, then 8 out of 9 in second half under 9m/m, so negative split. Longest run since FLM. Not sure that I could have done another 8 miles at that pace. Still, 12 weeks to go 'til Amsterdam, and another 11 LSRs. Joy! (Not!).
  • Good efforts Didds, negative splits are always a good sign in training. I didn't run today but did a nice 2hrs 50 on the bike, 70km rouund trip down to boxhill plus smashed my boxhill PB by 25 sec, 7.01mins which i was pretty pleased with still not the same as running. Still legs and shins feel good after it. :) another week of swimming and cycling and i think i should be back.
  • patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    We did 13 miles on Saturday and are going to build up on that nowhere near 20 miles yet. Can someone enlighten me as to what the Pfitzinger and Douglas training plan is I havent heard of it before this thread.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It's a book with a number of training plans in it: up to 55 mpw; up to 70 mpw and over 70 mpw. Think it's called Advanced Marathoning, or similar.
  • Race yesterday. 14k trail race in a PB of 01:01:45. Very happy with the race and result, even though I would have gone quicker if it wasnt for a stitch I had to run off during the first descent.

Rest day today, then long run tomorrow morning. Hoping to do about 15-16 miles.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Am following a 16 week traing plan from Rob and Shelley(?) Glover's Competetive Runners Guide, together with pace info from McMillan. Max I have had to do so far is 13 miles (no problem as I've done 3 half marathons this year) but this week I step up to a 15 mile LSR with 18 and 20 runs to come but I am a bit worried as I find the suggested pace far too slow.
  • Hey, I'm running Amsterdam too and my training was going well till went on 2 week hol to egypt, only managed to do 2 x 8 mile runs while was there but went for quick 6 miler last night and felt fit, befroe went on hol ran 30 miles in week 2 of training schedule but now have doubts about my scudule, think it may be too punishing with 2 many long runs and little rest, I'm looking for 3.30 time and ran my first Marathon (Paris) is 3.47, can anyone help get me back on track Please!!! =( Daz
  • OK guys, have a great time in Holland.

I've confirmed that I'm going to Devon. We're all booked up now.

I'm sure that you'll storm it Jools.
  • Anybody else out there using the FIRST programme for marathon runners looking to get faster and becoming paranoid at the apparent lack of mileage required??
  • Well, I've hopefully got back on track with my training schedule after 2 weeks on hol, Mon 6mile Steady Run
    Tues 5mile Fartlek
    Weds 5mile Local Race (34.44 time)
    Thursday 13miles Slow Long Run

Gonna have well earned rest today before Steady 5miler on Sat.
    Can anyone help me out with Training Schedule as the 1 I'm working to doesn't seem to have enough rest days (6/7!) and big weekly mileage? I do want to improve on my last marathon time but is upping my weekly mileage the answer? I'm worried about injury or burn-out?
    Thanks Daz
  • Hi Darren, Im no expert but I've always found the runners world schedules work for me. They helped me to a sub 3.30 a couple of years ago and im still using a modified version now to help me achieve a sub 3. There is also a 3 day a week schedule if you really want to cut the running down, that would give you plenty of rest. When I ran 3.30 it was off 40 - 50 miles a week, and 5-6 days a week, but everyones different.
  • Hi Folks

Just decided I am entering the marathon - this will be 4th consecutive in Amsterdam - I keep on saying I'll do somewhere else next Autumn but there's no doubt that for convenience, weather, flat course, organisation and PB potential - this is the best !

Today was first 20 miler - only 2 months until the taper starts !

Darren - depends what time you are looking for, but my opinion is that you need a max of around 50 miles a week, from 4-5 runs to break through 3:20/3:30 - unless you are naturally talented (unlike me!)

I have done 4 years training now and my peak for the last 3 years has been between 50-60 miles, 5 times a week - this has led to an improvment in Amsterdam from 3:23 to 3:12 to 2:59 and hopefully this year to another PB (previously I maxed at 35-40 miles, running 3 times a week - and ran 3:45 in Rome)
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Ken - I'm doing the FIRST programme and it seems to be going OK although I have missed one LSR and had to cut short two others due to the heat we have had over the last couple of weekends.
  • 15.88 miles training run this morning in just over 2 hours felt really good. Hoping that my next long ru will be over 20 miles, possibly a fell run next weekend.
  • Just booked my flight over. Depart Saturday morning, return Monday teatime :)

Just waiting for sister to get in touch and see if she can get me a cheap room at a marriot hotel close by.
  • Its all gone a bit quiet on here of late, everyoune must be training hard or somewhere nice and hot on holiday.

Training going well for me at the minute, building milage and speed up nicely. Getting somewhere near fitness level before injury, hopefully I have enough time left to catch up.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Training is going ok although I had to ease off this week as hit a tough patch at work and I had little time for anything apart from work and sleep! So 51 miles instead of the planned 66 - the casualty was the midweek 15 miler, unfortunately. First 22 miler of this build-up bagged in the blazing sun last Sunday and 20 miles this afternoon, but at a fairly conservative pace and low HR as I'd done a fairly fast 10 miler yesterday morning. Off to try and get a decent night's sleep now as there's another busy week ahead, but I'll have to try and fit a bit more training into this one!
  • Morning all, yes Shutterbug it's gone quiet but it's holiday time so everybody's probably somewhere way more interesting! Well I've had a small tear in my left hamstring and have had the 'pleasure' of three physio sessions and acupuncture to help, finegrs crossed it seems to have done the job, I did a speed session last week and all appears to be ok. But one thing I did notice was due to the lack of faster sessions (I think) over the last month my heart rate was higher than normal when i get out for long runs, I'm hoping thats temporary!

I managed a 17 miler yesterday morning which felt easier than last Sunday's 15 miler althoughh it was a damn sight warmer the Sunday before last. I've got my first of 4 planned 20 milers this Saturday morning, so here's hoping for rain!

Well done Jools, I wouldn't beat yourself for 51 instead of 66! You put me to shame.

Does anybody know if Amsterdam will have mile markers as well as km markers? In Paris this year I was surprised (and happy) to find mile markers.

Why is it that us Brits tend to be the largest number of international runners at big city European marathons, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin??

Michael.
  • Ternana

Us Brits cant wait to get out of Britain?

Hopefully it will be my 1st 20 miler of the schedule on Saturday. Ive a little trip to the Lake District planned and hoping to get a 20 mile fell/trail training run in on the Saturday morning, followed by a walk up a hill on Sunday.
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Just back from a couple of weeks in the Alps & a bit of unintended altitude training. Lovely place to run in terms of scenery but it`s either `up` or `down` so always knackering. Managed 24 yesterday. Not very fast but I made it. Completely crocked today but hopefully that will wear off. Getting to the stage where something or another hurts all the time and tiredness is constant. Oh well - only another 7 weeks before taper.
  • KM markers only, with clocks for the 1st 5km. Quite like the km markers as if I am having a bad time I can write off just 1k and start again.

Wanted to do 18 on Saturday but the hot weather cut it back to 15. Still need to slow down on my LSRs. Nowhere near your weekly totals yet but am up to 35 now.

Jules B are you Bristol based or am I confusing you with someone else?