Sciatica pains

I have experienced sciatica pains on a couple of occasions in the past couple of years, I am commencing my 3rd week of training for my 1st half Oct 14th and last week my sciatica has returned making my legs feel stiff & painful after each run (they tend to loosen up during running). I don't want to stop my training schedule & was wondering if anyone could help me out??

Comments

• Are you stretching properly after each run? Sometimes tight hamstrings, tight piriformis (little muscle that goes from your hip to your back) and glute muscles can put pressure on the sciatic nerve.
  • I second what Rach says...I had a tight piriformis which irritated my sciatic nerve and took ages to put right with help from the physio.

Perhaps try sports massage too, I find it helps loosen muscles after hard training.
  • Sounds like what I have, I just thought it was Sciatica. any advice on stretches for your piriformis?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    had sciatica since may now, agree with all of above, massage stretch stretch even more, and use a tennis or even golf ball, roll it between a wall and you glutes. You will know when its in the right spot! Trust me!
    Farnie when sitting down, you pull your leg up onto your other leg and lean forwards, should feel its stretching. On the floor, pull one leg across the other, just like the sitting one, link hands round leg that is being rested on and pull towards you. That should get you started.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    sorry that may not be clear, you pull you left foot up onto the right leg, left knee should point out, does that make sense?
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Lol Wako! Difficult to describe but I think you got it! (rather you than me lol!)
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    I do one where I sit down, cross the legs so that one ankle is on the other knee (half lotus) and try to push the top knee down towards the floor. To increase the stretch you can sit up straighter and then lean forward slightly.

Is this what you are trying to discribe Wabo?

I was also given some lower back exercises by the physio as she said that often an inflammed piriformis can be caused by a muscle imbalance.

Try laying on the floor, face down, tuck your toes under and then lift one leg at a time towards the ceiling. Your leg might only move a few inches but that is fine. Hold for about 10 secs then repeat on teh otehr leg. Do about 6 on each leg.

I was also told to stretch the hip flexor. Still laying on the floor, hold one ankle with the hand on teh same side. Pull the ankle towards your bum, while pushing the pelvis into the floor. This one can also be done standing up, but you get a better stretch laying down and don't need to worry about balance.

If I do these exercises regularly I don't get sciatica, but as soon as I stop it comes back again.
  • Wow. Thanks everyone for a great response..you've all been really helpful!