Options

Effect of Sweating and Weight Loss

I'm mainly a footballer as well as a part time runner when I'm not playing but I need to lose some weight.
I play 2-3 times a week after work and then a main game on the Sunday.

I'm about 6ft and currently weigh around 14.5 to 15 stone, which is too much, I'm getting older and it's been gradually creeping up on me so I now need to do something about it before it's too late.

I'm toying with the idea of wearing a bin bag under my shirt when I play and run, I've done this in the past once or twice and the net result was I would come back from football or the run literally dripping with sweat under my clothes, almost like I'd been for a swim, my question is: Does this have any effect whatsoever on me losing weight quicker?

Part of me thinks it's only water I'm losing which in effect is just allowing me to become dehydrated more quickly and as soon as I get home and have a drink I'm just replacing the water loss and any small weight loss as a result of losing that sweated out water.

The other part of me thinks that as I'm hotter as a result of this extra layer then it's helping me to me burn off more fat as the body is working harder to keep me cool and therefore needs more calories to do this, but this could be rubbish for all I know.

I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on it for me perhaps? I've done a few searches but not found anything that helps really.

If it is no good to use a bin liner, are there any natural ways to lose weight quicker or more effiecently by football or running?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi Matt,

I'm no expert, but the little I do know the bin bag sounds like a bad idea.

I don't think you should be looking to increase the amount of water loss whilst running as you risk putting your body under excess pressure. As I understand it (and again I am no expert) your body requires water and if insufficient water is provided it will retain the water that it has until more is forthcoming - this leads to bloating and water retention (as well as not helping your kidneys and water works).

However, if you are a footballer and are looking to start running then I would imagine that you will lose weight, but perhpas not as quickly as you would like.

The only suggestions I can make are (I don't know what your diet is like), limit your alcohol, cut down on junk and try not to eat too much wheat.

Other than that I'm afraid you may well have to be patient.
  • Options
    the only extra weight you would be losing is fluid
  • Options
    you'll dehydrate a damn sight quicker with a bin bag and although this will show some rpaid weight loss it will be purely water - not fat. the only sustained way to get rif of fat is increased aerobic activity and reduced dietary input

more energy out - less energy in = more weight loss

heat won't help you burn more fat anyway - it doesn't work like a cooker!!

after you've used your carb stores up, fat gets used next...but the metabolic process using fat is not as efficient so it takes longer to generate the same amount of energy from fat which iw why it takes longer to shift - eventually if you get rid of all your fat and energy is needed, the body will use protein - hence why you see skeletal malnourished kids in famine areas - no carbs, no fat stores so the muscles get used up.....
  • Options
    Ok thanks for this.

So when you say cut out the wheat? does that mean Bread, ceral etc?

I'm doing this Special K thing where you have a small bowl of that for brekky and lunch then normal meal in the evening.

I don't drink much at all really.

I tend to play around 6pm or 7pm at night and then at 2pm on the Sunday so should I aim to eat early or later in order to get into fat burning as quick as possible?

I normally won't eat before I play or maybe just have a snack if I'm feeling empty then I'll eat when I get back around a hour after sport.

Also is eating late at night a bad thing? or snacking say around 10-10.30 pm as I'll often feel hungry then?

Thanks
  • Options
    it doesnt matter what time you eat
    the basic issue is if you eat more calories than you expend-youll put weight on, and vice versa

needless to say, i dont believe in "cutting out wheat" eitehr-unless you have a genuine allergy
  • Options
    course it would only be fuid you'd lose -bin bag wont sweat out fat would it?
  • Options
    People who have an intolerance to wheat can suffer from bloating, but it's not directly related to weight I don't beleive.
  • Options
    The thing with wheat and wheat products (bread, cereal biscuits etc) isn't so much that you will be intolerant to them but more that they are not good value for their calories.

Most dieters (speaking as a veteran) end up eating fewer refined wheat containing products becuase they just don't fill you up as much as wholegrains and/or protein/fruit and veg etc. AND they generally have a fair amount of calories as well. - hence not good value.

Personally i think the special K type diet is a disaster zone as neither your lunch or breakfast will be well balanced - they will contain too few calories for sustained energy release during the day and I know If I tried it, I would be starving most of the day and end up binging on anything lying around the office.

Not that i am a protein junkie or a body builder BUT a protein based meal will fill you up for longer. i.e. egg white omlette or poached egg on wholemeal toast is a brilliant brekkie.

re sweating thing - yikes you are right to think that you shouldn't do it. The 'sweating' mechanism that our bodies use to cool us down does not use up significant calories and so by forcing your body to exercise at a higher temperature all you are doing is making yourself uncomfortable and increasing your risk of dehydration.
  • Options
    I completely agree with you there gym addict

there isnt a "quick fix" to weight loss
  • Options
    Thanks for the info

I'm not really a fan of egg, so would you say for brekkie and lunch I would be better off having some brown toast?

What about butter/margarine on it, I'm guessing not a lot?

If I put my mind to it when I do feel hungry I can go through it and just grab a banana or something to keep me going if I'm feeling really low.
  • Options
    Matt - why not skip the butter / marge on your toast and add thinly spread peanut butter?

If you want a snack - snack on fruit.

• Options
    Hmm never really been a fan of Peanut Butter, I could perhaps try it though.

• Options
    Whenever I see that special K diet advert I can't help but wondering how they got that past advertising standards.
    (Especially since hearing about the vintage 'Go to work on an egg' adds not being allowed to be re-broadcasted)
  • Options
    if you do fad diets (special k etc) then you'll probably end up losing some weight but certainly you'll put it all (and perhaps more) back on as soon as you come off the fad diet.

weightloss for life requires a long term shift in eating habits.

a few thoughts on things that have worked well for me:

try not to worry too much about when you eat - focus on what and how much.
    if you are hungry have something small to eat. make sure you have sensible choices available to you all the time.
    eat sensible amounts for breakfast and lunch - skimping on these will make you overeat later in the day (or evening)
    drink lots of water
    if your diet is pretty healthy then try cutting down portion sizes rather than making huge changes in what you eat.

personally:
    for breakfast i eat either porridge or wholegrain toast with a small amount of olive oil spread (like olivio) and sometimes some low fat philadelphia.
    for lunch i might have a can of soup or a salad.
    i snack during the day on muesli bars, yoghurt, a handful of trail mix, babybel cheese etc. but only small amounts. i'd maybe have two of those options in a day.
    for dinner i have the same as i always have had (pasta + chicken, thai curry + rice, chilli + rice, salmon with new potatoes etc etc) but these days i normally eat about 75% of the portions i used to.
    we eat out once a week. i try not to worry about what i'm ordering when i eat out but stop eating as soon as i feel full.

net result - 16lbs lost in the last 16 weeks.
  • Options
    Little things that helped me: [lost 4.5 stones and have kept it off for 8 years]

Protein at most meals - not necessarily tons but some, i.e. low fat cheese or cottage cheese on wholemeal toast. Low fat yoghurt, always having at least one portion of turkey/chicken at lunchtime with salad or wholemeal roll or pitta.

When hungry - SOUP (low fat) then food - Heaps of studies show that soup fills you up, stays in the stomach longer and leads to less food overall on a daily basis.

Snack - on fruit and or fibrous things like raw veg.

Eat lots of veg - raw or al dente with lunch and dinner

Don't drink unnecessary calories - even sports drinks. If you need to refuel after a run choose something that has protein in it as well - most of the big sports nutrition companies do protein contaniing recovery drinks - low fat choc milk is meant to be good but it does have plenty of calories - but at least it has nutrition as well unlike lucozade sport and gatorade that are mainly sugar.

Eat little and often - don't let yourself get too hungry - it's fine to say that you can just grab a banana and work through the hunger but after a while your will-power will diminish. When that happens it is good habits that will get you through. (WIll Power is the absolute worst thing to rely on when dieting as it is the first thing to run out).

Be very wary of things like cheese, red meat, mayo, pret-a manger anything!!!!!!. Look innocuous - SO MUCH FAT it should be illegal and so portion control needed.

Refined carbs make you hungrier so avoid if you can or keep for a treat - anything white (bread, rice, crackers, cakes, crisps (EVIL EVIL NO REDEEMING FEATURES), and of course all biscuits even ones with low fat/wholegrain/natural stamped all over them).

Anything that is specifically labelled low fat will probably be high sugar - making food from raw ingredients is the only way to control what you eat. The more processing has taken place then the worse for you it will probably be.

Good grief I'll go finish draft 2 of my diet book now shall I???????
  • Options
    So for a chocoholic like me I'm screwed then basically :(

But thanks for all this, makes sense, I'm a big fan of soup so I can eat that all day everyday.

Is Big Soup ok?

and just how bad is sugar in the diet process exactly?
  • Options
    Well as far as I can see - what good is sugar in the diet process??

First a small caveat:
    {I am not a dietician and am only in the process of studying nutrition (slowly and in my spare time so no expert just a keen amateur)}

AS far as I can see - apart from the nice taste and a quick shot of readily available energy after a bout of exertion, we humans don't really need sugar. It's not available as sucrose or high fructose corn syrup in nature - only after much processing do we get that - and so obviously for a long time we existed quite happily without it. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is terrible for us but it would appear that the addition of sugar and other highly refined carbohydrates into the diet is one of the contributing factors in a whole host of western lifestyle diseases - obesity being one of them. It is added to most processed food, practically all baked goods and of course all non-diet type drinks.

If you are fit and healthy, do lots of exercise and do not have a weight problem or a waist measurement exceeding 37 inches then you can probably scoff your chocolate quite happily. But if that is not the case then sugar is one of those things (bit like caffeine and alcohol) that you could quite happily cut out of your diet and only reap benefits. Of course (I would NEVER give up my coffee) life is for living and so you have to enjoy your food and these days you can no more avoid sugar than you can avoid air pollution.

For how BAD sugar is - I don't think there is any doubt left that it is pretty bad, but in moderation will probably not kill you (the exception to this opinion being the board of directors at tate and lyle).

I am sure you must have heard about insulin resistance and GI etc etc etc - it is certainly flavour of the decade in terms of nutrional advice and popular diet books. The real picture is reasonably hard to find due to the amount of self interest in most advice that is given out. However I have never read a nutrion text book that has actively promoted sugar and they ALL recommend limiting it. I suspect eliminiating it is impossible so not many folks (with the exception of atkins) suggest you try.
  • Options
    Yep true enough.

Well it's Big soup for lunch for me and without a bread now :(
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Special K has so much sugar in it! Most cereals do. If you want a low sugar cereal then have weetabix, shredded wheat or porridge. Even Bran Flakes and All Bran (also sold on this 'healthy' image) are full of sugar.

I agree about cutting out most wheat products. I lost loads by giving up bread. Instead I have salads for lunch, with lots of lean protein to keep me full, and eat wraps or rye bread when I can't find a wheat free option.

Also have a look at your total carb intake. Lots of people think that because they are doing exercise they must eat loads of carb. This is true if you are training for a marathon, but not so true if you are only doing shorter runs. I started to eat more carb when I started running for this reason, but I didn't need it all. I cut back on my portions and the weight started coming off. I am certainly not recommending that you should cut out all carb (like for the Atkins diet), but maybe try having a little less rice with your curries and slightly less pasta in your lasagnes. Replace with lots of veg so that you still have a full plate of food, but aren't eating quite so many calories.

Soup is good, but you are better if you can make your own. A lot of the supermarket soups are full of salt so they are OK occassionally but not something that you should eat everyday. I have soup after running because I can't manage a huge meal and as I don't use electrolyte drinks (yet), the salt shouldn't do me too much harm. If you can't make you own soups then the fresh ones tend to have less salt than the tinned or packeted ones.

If you can't give up the chocolate, then try cocoa nibs. I get mine from Hotel Chocolat but I think there are other brands out there. They are chocolate and cocoa covered cocoa beans. They have a really intensive flavour so you only want two or three and no where near as much sugar as a bar off chocolate. I find that they satisfy the cravings without allowing me to gorge myself on chocolate.
  • Options
    Seems to me that you're only exercising 3 or 4 times a week ?

You should be able to do a bit more than that I reckon if you want to lose weight.

I'm a bit lighter than you - but every mile i run is a good 100 calories. For you it will be a bit more than that.

So the crunchie I'll scoff later will take me 1.6 miles to burn off.

And I'd go along with the protein fills you idea. If I have an egg - I'm stuffed all day.
  • Options
    I wish I could excercise more, but at the moment time and injury problems prevent me from doing it, plus I can only play when there's a game on.

I struggle to run on concrete as I end up with shin splints and aching knees but on astro turf or grass for football I'm a bit stiff after but normally ok.

I think I'll go for chicken or turkey slices with a salad for lunch and some plain toast with a tiny amout of olivio :)
  • Options
    Can you get to a gym and do a spin class, or swim or something ? They wont injure you , but will help burn calories.
  • Options
    What about some strength work?

Not going to any extremes of course - you don;t want to end up one of those blokes in the gyms with massive biceps to match their massive stomachs. However a couple of sessions a week will make you feel great (okay I'm a gym junkie so slightly biased) - all exercise contributes to calorie burning, it helps to ensure that you keep hold of your lean tissue while the chub comes off AND it will improve the muscular support around your joints for when you do run. Most PT's I know would always point you straight at the weight stacks as the best place to start losing fat. However this IS runners world so i will restrain myself.

Really not sure about the 'big soup' you will need to check the label. I have a sneaky suspicion it has a lot of fat and salt in it but check the label to be sure. You don't want more than 30% of cals to come from fat in any food stuff - 1g of fat = 9 cals so you can do the maths on the 100g amount and see if it's less than 30%.

As for the chocolate - personally I cannot remember the last time I ate a whole chocolate bar - but a square of dark now and again is quite nice and not too bad. If you are the kind of person that loves to eat a whole bar of something then perhaps that might need to become an occasional treat rather than a dessert choice if you want to lose some weight. The problem with chocolate (milk in particular) is that it is intrinsically moreish. I.e the minute you start - the chemical reaction that takes place in your bloodstream practically forces you to keep eating it. I find it easier just to steer clear - not enough will power to eat just a small bite of something delicious like galaxy - mmmm.
  • Options
    Okay take back my reservations about the big soup - I just checked out the contents and it has 20% fat and a reasonable amount of protein (for a soup - 10g in the one I looked at - not bad) - you should check out the salt content just because ready made soups usually contain loads.
  • Options
    I used to go to the Gym alot but as much as I tried I just never got the "bug"

I tried numerous Gyms in my time from the local old one right up to the all singing Virgin one with sauna, pool etc.

I never got the buzz or the addiction of going far from it, I ended up making any excuse not to go or when I did go I found myself almost "cheating" on reps and sets, perhaps this was because I was on my own and was thinking of better things to do.

I get bored very easily (at least with running I can take music with me but no chance for swimming, unless I'm focused on a game or a common goal which is why I enjoy my football so much and because it one of the few things I'm okay at.

I can understand the strength side of things but I just don't think I could bring myself to do it on a regular basis, unlike football I can't wait to get out of the house and play and I really do look forward to it. I wish in someway I could get that from the gym.

I don't smoke and I hardly drink but as you say chocolate is so moreish. I think I will run down all my chocolate stores then just not buy any in and really focus on the fruit and low fat yogurt side of things.

How bad is the salt issue in food? is this something to be wary of, and what are acceptable levels, I'm guessing if I mention a bag of crisps you are not going to be happy :)
  • Options
    Salt is a health thing - not a weight issue. But yeah crisps can be bad. (i love crisps)
  • Options
    crisps are virtually salt free now

they taste 'orrible
  • Options
    blimey you guys are just all too good, no choccy and no crisps.

I think I need my own section on here for junk food lovers anonymous :)
  • Options
    Er Hipps - I think you forgot to open the lil blue bag ?
  • Options
    nah cougs

its the nanny state messing with our crisps