Options

Fitness Instructor

First of all I apologize for this post not being on topic but I thought this Forum would be the right place to be advised and thought their would be a good chance of a few in this forum.

So heres the story Im currently 15 and with my GCSE Exams coming up this term ive considered a job as a Fitness Instructor for some time now,but my dilemma is What Grades or experience you need to get enrolled in a cource.Also does anyone now what i can do to help my progress towards my Dream job and help my chances.

Thanks Ryan

Comments

• Options
    Its not very well paid, especially working in a gym. Although the hourly rate for Personal Training is quite good - the gym takes most of that.

As to grades and experience - a lot of people just pay for their course themselves - YMCA and lots of other providers.

Does your school have a careers office that could help you further ? You could go on to do sports science or something.

Maybe a PTI in the forces ?

Good luck !
  • Options
    Contact Universities like Loughborough and the College of St Mark and St John in Plymouth. They, along with UCAS will be able to give you the advice you need on grades for this.

If you want financial support through your higher education and go on to be a fitness instructor, you could consider the forces - they all have a need for dedicated PT staff.

Work experience at your local gym won't harm your efforts.

Sorry, not much help, but good luck.
  • Options
    I would be a third vote for the Forces as well

PTI's are well recvd there and you will get the quals you need.
  • Options
    So their is no Full-Time jobs in the industry, Do you know any other jons like-wise to a fitness instructor?
    I hope I don't sound bad but how much a year do they get on average?
  • Options
    Well there are full time posts, but you'd prob need to be 18 anyway.

You'd start on about 12k.
  • Options
    Its not as glamorous as it sounds and the pay isn't great but if its your dream go for it. There's more scope for decent earnings if you can develop a good client base and work for yourself instead of being employed at a gym.

Most PTs I know just did the standard Premier course? A couple I know had very limited educational qualifications (less than yours certainly) and they passed it ok.

• Options
    a couple have undergraduate degrees in sports science etc, but said that wasn't strictly necessary to work as a PT...

quite a few have only got course certificates for classes such as BTS, various exercise to music etc etc...

some did extras like a sports massage module that earns them a bit extra...

it depends how far you want to take this...
  • Options
    to further what Nam has said as well, if I were looking for fitness intsructor or a personal trainer then I would (personally) want some experience?

Get some decent quals from a Uni or one of the Forces and you will be better grounded.
  • Options
    As Nam says, the higher the qualification you can get, the more options you will have throughoout your life.
  • Options
    You wouldn't want to go through Uni to have the prospect of a 12k starting salary ...

I get the impression that you will either be pi55-pot poor or be one of the few to make it right to the top and get minted (or at least be on decent money). I'm sure someone like Simon Waterson makes a mint.

If you really really want it badly then do it, but for God's sakes have a back-up plan!
  • Options
    aaahhh... this is what I was looking for... this tells you the whole lot...

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile754/

• Options
    Those PTs that I know who do well for themselves are the ones with more strings to their bow so to speak..., i.e. they are fitness instructors and are qualified to do classes like Body Pump, RPM, Circuits etc etc, the work with individuals as PTs, they give nutritional advice sessions, and some are also qualified to do specific sports injury work or sports massage.

They often work for more than one gym / club / hotel / health spa etc and also work with people at home, so you need to be really organised.

Hope this helps you a bit.
  • Options
    My wife is a fulltime Pilates instructor and she works for loads of places. Not staff in any of them but a contractor so she gets paid more.
    Only thing is that they can replace her classes with their own instructors to save money, but as the instructor is paid the same to teach as she is to clean the machines - their hearts arent really into it.

Personal training and her own classes pay pretty well.
  • Options
    Just changed my career to do Pt an sports massage. Depends whether you want to just be a fitness instructor teaching classes or become a personal trainer. I did the premier course and found it to be very thorough but since you are so young its a very good idea to get some experience working in a gym, even if its just cleaning and getting your face known - sorry its not glamorous. Most gym staff are employed with salaries (usually for a fitness consultant about 11-12K - ususally a 40-45hr week and you will have to work late nights and weekends)
    PT's on the other hand and some class instructors are usually self employed and at the gym I work - PT's pay a monthly fee to use the facilities but they can charge what they want for PT sessions - the gym doesn't take a cut of the fee, but this does vary from gym to gym.
    It definitely pays to have a few things to offer, for example I work in a local sports injury clinic doing sports massage as well as doing PT
    It might be worth staying on at school and doing some further study into something sports related if you can. This also opens up the opportunity to train and coach local football or other sports teams if that's the sort of thing that interests you.
    Sorry to ramble on - but hope some of this is useful
  • Options
    I am a part time aerobics instructor. I intially started out with a franchise, but last year took the ETM NVQ so that I could set up as an independent. I only teach two small classes a week, both in community venues. I charge a fixed rate per person per class. From this I have to pay for the venues, insurance, music, licence (to play pre-recorded music), equipment & its maintenance, advertising.... I probably don't make much money out of it, but then I see it as my hobby. From all the enquiries I've had from schools and people who are free during the day I know I cold make a reasonable living from it if I wanted to make it my full time job, but I don't!

When I looked into ETM courses, there were no qualification requirements. I would warn you though, if you go the NVQ routes, it can get expensive if you want to cover all bases eg ETM, gym, PT, nutrition, etc.

Good luck though. Its great to hear that not all teenagers are anti exercise!
  • Options
    if was your age i would seriously look at going down the A levels /degree route as the industry standards are changing and the better qualified you are the more likely you will be to have a successful career

you need to be able to get registration with REPS so proper recognised qualifications are important and will be more so as the industry tightens up in the future

a chat to a careers adviser at school or college would be good - local colleges do good NVQ courses as a starting point if you dont want to do A levels
  • Options
    I was a fitness instructor for a few years. Loved the part where I was training people, and the social side of it is great. There was an awful lot of cleaning and the pay was low. I got my qualifications through the gym where I worked as they subsidised them. The forces is def the way to go I think, if you want a decent wage. It was fine whilst I was married but once divorced I could not afford to do it anymore. Am now in a boring office.
  • Options
    Thats the problem it's weighing it all up, it's very common that good jobs are often low pay.....Im not greedy in wanting at around 25-27 grand a year am I ? Does anyone know how much school P.E Teachers get yearly and how difficult the courses are?
  • Options
    less than that when you start Ryan
  • Options
    oh of course i mean max wage
  • Options
    well, that would be after a few years and then if you wanted to be a PE teacher youd have to do 3-4 years training on student rations
  • Options
    I was on £12,000 a year for 120 hours a week afte 7 years training

but that was in 1990

(doctor, not teacher)
  • Options
    My son wants to be a PT teacher. He has just taken his A levels and is taking a year out before going to uni (he has been accepted at a local one luckily.)

It is worth checking out what the uni's are asking to do a sports science degree (he only needed 3 D's) and then you will need to do the PGCE course for a year afterwards.

Teaching pay is not bad (relatively) and the PT teachers would get the same as any other I would have thought (with equal pay etc).

So look at going back to school/college to do some A levels or an NVQ3 and go from there.
  • Options
    You could always get some holiday/weekend work in a gym or leisure centre to give you some money and see if you do like the industry too
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is a tennis coach. He did a sports science degree and now works for two or three different tennis clubs. Although one of his jobs isn't badly paid (he coaches up and coming professionals) he has also had to take on voluntary work (running a tennis club for disadvantaged kids and teenagers) to be able to get the experience and contacts that he needs. He's not doing badly, but the pay isn't as high as you would like.

I think your pay expectations are maybe a little high. I have loads of qualifications in science based subjects and only get paid about what you are aiming for after getting 15 years experience (and the pharmaceutical industry is supposed to be reasonably well paid compared with sports science). If you want high pay then you need to look for the high-flying jobs, but be warned, these generally require long hours and a lot of stress. You might have to sacrifice a social life for a few years.
  • Options
    I think you need to have a little chat with a careers adviser and work out what you're interested in and how much study you're prepared to put in. If you're talking about becoming a teacher, you'll definetely have to do your A-levels and a degree. I can't think of many jobs where you can just leave secondary school, do a little 'course' and command almost 30k. I have two degrees and have been qualified for 10 years and only earn a couple of grand more then what you were talking about. As others said you have to be prepared to start at the bottom and be realistic that not every PT has the life of Matt Roberts, just like not every cook lives like Jamie Oliver...
  • Options
    Rio- What Uni would that be? Did your Son need any other qualifciations - for example Work Experience
  • Options
    Hey,

Have had a drink or three - its a Friday night, so you take the risk with posting a new thread!

As a REPS (Register Of Exercise Professionals) level 3 resgistered PT you could expect max of £30k/year - based on full time London private practice (I'm sure there will be the (very) odd exception to this, but not many)

If however you use reps qualification as a base or an adjunct to another (maybe aligned such as Life Coaching) qualification, then you can increase this significantly.

Advice from me, (which is worth what you pay for it) is to do a degreee after A levels ( maybe Phys ed related, if only for the enjoyment factor) and then spend the money on a reps level 2(minimum) (£650 via Future Fit) or 3 (£1500 via same) qualification. Gather other experience along the way (including gym work??) and progress to starting your own business.

Personal experience is Phys ed degree, followed by very loosely related career in industry, gaining further training and qualifications along the way ( NLP, life coaching etc) and now adding PT work as suplementary income.

Good luck, and enjoy!!