My Last Run

Comments

• Hi all my latest
    Cycled to training club 3mile flat out ride, ran for 1 hour over the heath with club members flat out no stops roughly 5 miles dodgy terrain ankle biting midgy's and avoid the adders. Oh and there are sandy bits trees and hills(steep hills)that my trainer calls inclines. Then cycled back again flat out, but mostly up an incline. Then sat down and had a glass of wine. What a fab life!
  • 8K 34:17 LITTLE TIRING
  • Good running everyone.

Friday 17/08/07 – 3:00 pm – Fell race route recce - The Roaches Area, near Leek.
    9.61 miles – 2:12:52.67 – 13:50 min/mile ave. - 1728 ft asc.– Mountain Bear Gladiator (2).

Jog Watch 0

Anyway, with nothing better to do today I drove over after work to recce the route of a fell race I was going to do in October (Passing Clouds Race, 9 miles/1800ft asc).

The first 5.6 miles were brilliant, testing but not too tough, all really runable with great views and surroundings. The rock formations on top of the Roaches were really quite spectacular.
    But at The Roaches House I couldn’t find the footpath and saw my @r5e and pretty much gave up, a succession of navigational errors had me all over the place and I was just getting more and more p!55ed off. Although I actually cut it short I ended up running further than the official 9 miles. With all the stops, starts and map reading nonsense the total elapsed time is probably 30 mins longer than the run on its own.

Miserable! (shouldn't last)

(I've been on navigation courses and practised a fair bit but I still can't read a map to save my life and that's the worrying thing it really could be a life or death thing! I think I've learnt my lesson and I'll be sticking to my local hills, it doesn't stop me from injuring myself but at least I'll know where I am and I always take full body cover and my phone and stuff just in case)
  • 5k on the treddy. legs hurt more than they should but an hour of Bosy Pump made the pain go away. marvellous!
  • Great to see more people telling us how great there run was, it is really interesting to see and heartening too. The more the merier to encourage each and everyone of us. I have to say that all you guys helped me to over 10 miles today. help me get to a half please? LOL.
    Today
    18/08/07 - 10.5m 1:38:38
    Oh well abit of the rain came today. Thank fully only a light drizzle. However it was the worst ground this morning as I entered the outside world, it was damp with small puddles. Does anyone else hate the wet ground? I find my feet slip and I feel very concious of this. I cannot run properly.
    On route today ickenham had a few people moving about thus causing me to run inside the pavement next to the shops. On the way up to the A40 they have all but finished the bridge now. Nice and clear up Swakeleys Road. good news, they haf=ve cut back the hedge coming up to Harefield Road now so you can run on the pavement with out fear of losing an eye.
    The run down from the roundabout down to the Oxford Road was its usual half effort because of its narrowness and also encountering a pedestrian, how unusual is that? even more, carrying a tiny effort of a pooch! Nice arse though. her not the pooch.
    Oxford Road nice and casual, St John's Road straightforward but I was begining to feel the miles at this point (about 6.5). Cowley M R was comfortable but any plans on running up to half marathon were dispelled heer as I had to get home with plenty of time. Station Road to Hill Hosp was nice and fluent, even getting a mumbled comp-liment from a passer by who said "good show" as I said good morning. Thats what we all like to hear. The whole run from there was then a bit harder with the ol' knee telling me it was there. The final mile from the BP garage is always harder on longwer runs when it should be fast. But do you know what? I don't care as long as I am out there. One thing's for sure, autumn is arriving fast. Horrible and damp.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Good running everyone!
    I was down for a LSR today but decided to do my first half marathon instead. When I arrived I looked around and thought I had made a mistake - everyone looked like "proper runners" - but they were all friendly and afterall I am a runner now too :o)It was at Henfield in Sussex and was off road but mostly flat with a couple of inclines - oh and about 5 stiles just to make it really good fun! I started off really slow and was held up at a couple of pinch points, and then had to go really slowly through a very sticky cornfield from which I emerged 2 kilos heavier until I shook the mud off my shoes! So my first 2 miles took 24 minutes, after that there was quite a long section along a disused railway and another along side a river. Parts were a bit heavy underfoot, but I felt really good, especially in the middle section of the race and finished in 2:08:29 - I had hoped to be inside 2:30 so very happy :o)
    Jogwatch: 200+
  • "B" - outstanding performance, well under your target time, brilliant. Sounds like a cracking race.
  • Hi all

You know those low days when you simply don't feel you can run - best bet is just to throw yourself into it. After a low spell I managed 19.3 miles in great countryside this morning, modest 2.45 admitedly but returned with my confidence restored. Treated myself to 4 pints of cider as carbo-loading, although I have not spotted that tip in any training programme to be honest!

Good luck to you all
  • Ran my second-ever 10K yesterday. Struggled round in 54:22 over a flat course. Wind in face for last 4 or 5 km. This was torture and I'm a bit disillusioned. Perversely, also encouraged by feeling disappointed at finishing 6.2 miles.

Decided that alcohol and peanuts are poor preparation for running and spent a while drawing up a table to record the ratio of alcohol units to miles run. Will see how it goes over the next few weeks. Will try not to exceed 3 units per 2 miles but this would mean having to run 14 miles a week to have 21 units of alcohol. Little bit of a challenge to reduce the alcohol and increase the miles but if I can be two thirds as dedicated to running as to beer then the running will definitely improve.

Will try to run 3 gentle miles this dinnertime to show myself that I am a runner rather than someone who's just kdding themselves.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Lol Winstanley - good luck with the alcohol/miles run matrix!

I would be delighted with a sub-55 10k, especially with a head wind - well done :o)
  • Hello All  image  and great running,

It's good when you don't want to go out but do and end up having a good run, that was me today.

I don't drink at all.  Does that mean I don't have to run at all? 

Monday 20/08/07 – 4image0 pm – undulating time trial(kind of)  - Mouldsworth.

4.38 miles – 28image1.38 – 6:24 min/mile ave. - 283 ft asc.– Nike Air Zoom Streak Spectrum Plus (2) .

Jog Watch 0

After two days off to get my head together, because I'd convinced myself I was burnt out again, I had a smashing little run on an undulating course run on quiet country lanes. 

Pace was an important factor on today’s run as I need to know where I am and how I feel at race pace on hills.  My pace was faster than anticipated but still comfortable(?). Maintaining the pace and the form on the undulations took a bit of concentration, but overall I’m more than happy with today’s run.

This route will be the mainstay of my training for the next two weeks. I thought I’d be hard pushed to get under 27:45 at 100% effort, but runnning at nowhere near that I ran 28.01, which is, in my opinion, excellent.  Today I was targeting sub 30 mins and thought that would be good but I totally smashed that.   I’ll be looking to get that time down to under 27:45 now, but not at the expense of killing myself.

Back to Happy!!

imageChris.

• oops - my times have come up as smillies 

should read 28 minutes 01 seconds and I started at 4 pm.

imageChris.

• 7.5 miles yesterday - first long-ish run in a while because of various annoying injury problems.  Did it in 1 hour 9 minutes - faster pace than my 10K PB of 59 minutes 18 seconds - fingers crossed for a good time in the Great Yorkshire Run despite the lack of training (ho-hum)! 

I'd intended going in the morning and ended up putting it off til 5.30pm, but felt really good and just kept running longer than I'd intended. image

Am aching somewhat today, although this is mainly my irritating shoulders, neck and jaw which are an on-going issue that I really must get looked at.

• Hi Allimage,

Tuesday 21/08/07 – 3:55 pm – time on feet multi terrain run  - Helsby, Frodsham.

13.1 miles – 1:52:24.92 – 8:34 min/mile ave. - 1689 ft asc.– Mountain Bear Gladiators (2)

Jog Watch 2

Plan was to go out for 2 hours at an easy pace, take in some hills and enjoy the countryside and this I did for the first hour or so then I just died, so to avoid the hills on the way back I ran along the marshes which are dead flat, but I did this at a much faster pace, but before I came off the marshes I died for a second time and ended up walking back the last mile and a half.  Ordinarily I would be very disappointed with the stop and walk thing but I’ve hardly eaten in the last 2 days so I’m blaming that.

Still Happy.

Chris.image

• BB ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you are happy Chris - I have not run for two days - looking forward to doing something tomorrow - though may be the treadie if this autumnal weather continues - here's hoping for sunshine image
  • 5 miles from home and thru Bramhall Park avoiding the morning traffic, 36.31 though this felt like hard work.  Have been doing too many short runs and speed work I think.  I am on the RW sub 40 mins 10k plan and my race is the Boggart Hole Clough 10k.  Here's hoping it works.  Anyone else aiming for sub 40 10k in September?

Davidimage

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

A steady multi-terrain from Wallasey and up and over Bidston Hill, with beautiful views of Deesside and Liverpool at the top; repeat, then over to Wallasey Ladies' Golf Course, back through the woods to the windmill on Bidston Hill and down through leafy glades and hosts of rhododendrons.  Over the main drag, then onto the newly-created nature reserve at Bidston Moss, over Wallasey RUFC pitches and back to base.

Bright, sunny conditions with a cooling breeze; muddy underfoot in places but there was little else I'd rather have done this morning.  Around 9 miles. 

• Good to see new names appearing on this thread. I wishI could do 9 miles n the week. image

22/08/07 - 5.23m 47:44
    After a few days off for feeling tired I struggled to get out again this morning and I dressed the worst. Long tee and running tights. Thinking it was going to be chilly, how wrong could I be? Very warm considering and now I've finished I feel ill. Big thing today was the wind, it was very strong at the first mile plus, then with it behind me for two thirds it was ok but the straight home was blustery, it hasn't been like that for a while, rains due. Yep As I ascended Hill Hill a few splatterings of rain hit me and as I neared home it was starting to rain. Upon finishing it was proper rain. Not nice. The run itself was ok, seemed to be ok, if a little lumbered but am out there if feeling like crap.
    Jog Watch - 1

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

cheers, HP from me.  i've been lurking for a little while and this thread seemed really individual and interesting.

0545 this morning, off on a regular 5-mile route around Crosby - almost flat, very quiet and just about traffic-free.  decided to pick up the pace to around the 10k mark but faded in the last mile.  still, only 10 secs outside my year's best  image

• Lunchtime run of 5.87 miles.

Lovely sunny day, quite warm but not too hot to run. Taking advice from others on the beginners' forum I thought I'd stop worrying about my pace and just try to build distance slowly. So, rather than try for four miles in 32 minutes I ended up with 5.87 in 52 minutes. Still quite pleased with the time but more pleased with the extra distance and the general feeling of well-being.

A gentle jog around our beautiful capital city, taking in the National Assembly building, County Hall, the prison, the National Museum, the old Welsh Office, the Castle, the Millennium Stadium and back to Cardiff Bay. Regretted not being fit enough to add a bit of the waterfront into the route but it gets a bit busy when the sun's out.

Feeling very lucky to live and work in such a wonderful city. Especially when the sun is out. And especially when working flexible hours allows me to run at dinnertime.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

good effort, winstanley - don't let times and distances rule your training: it works the other way round.

like your description of the route - waterfront in a week or two, eh?

• Last run was yesterday after work. I REALLY did not want to go, so I looked at my schedule to see what would happen if I moved it to today, and it would have been a realy pain.

Still not in the mood, I put my kit on, thinking I will decide while getting dressed, and before I knew I was stretched, earphones in and out the door. Did my planned 5.5 mile round trip. Was still feeling disheartened for not finishing the 10K at the weekend, but then was deteremined to make up for it.

It's always the way, when I dont want to go, I generally have a really good run. I did all the hills without walking, and felt a real sense of satisfaction. I finished on a hill and ran faster up there than I had for the main part of the run. I then went inside and polished my halo!!!

• BB ✭✭✭

woohoo Bronnie - it's funny how the best runs are often when you feel worst! being nosey on your profile it says you are doing a 10 mile in Oct - is it the great South Run? I am doing that too; supposed to be a really good atmosphere and am really looking forward to it. I am sure loads of forumites are doing it and it would be good to put some faces to names if we get chance.

I was going to run today but have left it too late as going out soon. So going to do weights and core at home and make up for it tomorrowimage

• Last Night

2.5 miles 8:40 pace first run since 10k with GM in France on the 11th March

Result lots of pain and very upsetimage

• Hi B,

I am doing the Cabbage Patch 10 - which is arounf Twickenham - apparently as flat as Holland - which sounds good to me.

How is your training going? Have you done this distance before?

• 3 miles today. Gentle jog through a retail park and back to work via the flyover. The least scenic run I ever do.

First time I've run two days in a row. Wondering whether I'm better off running in a more demanding manner 3 times a week or whether it will be beneficial to run more gently on four or five days. I guess the only way to find out what works for me is to try both and then make up my mind.