My Last Run

Comments

• Kittenkat, I cannot open your link, I presume you did the Jurassic 10k and finished 49? Well done, I bet it was a great setting?

Anyway run for today:
    27/08/07 - 7.7m 1:14:17 C ??? AHR 153 MHR 232!?!?!? (HRM eror)?
    Another gorgeous morning, the sun was fantastic AND a slight cooling breeze. perfect. I awoke at 4.00am but thought better of getting up, tossed and turned for a while then dozed off. Finally to wake up at just after 7.00am. Then the family followed so i didn't get out until after 8.00. Started off with a bandage round the knee but as the run went on this made my knee feel worse than ever. So after a couple of miles I sliped it down to my calf and the difference was almost immediate. A great comfortable run and finishing my ascent of Hillingdon Hill I decided to do a lap of Coney Green, that was fab, it added half a mile of soft underfoot, just what I needed.
    A disappointing 1 on the Jog Watch today, they are missing out.

I LOVE RUNNING

• Its great to read about the good and bad bits everyone experiences during their runs. So I thought I would share some too.
    I pretty much have to get up and run first thing before my brain can think of excuses not to go. Did a gentle 6k around Brockwell Park but really felt a bit sluggish from some recent frenzied running activity. But the sun was shining there was a cooling breeze and the Park looked lovely. When I tackled the small hill, which yesterday seemed like Ben Nevis I got a view of the London skyline through the trees. Uphill, I hate running. Sometimes I feel like I am runnning through treacle with legs of lead. Then you get the downhill bit, you catch your breath and you feel loads more cheerful with gravity on your side.
    Jogwatch - probably about 10. The most interesting was a runner I met as she was going uphill, and fast. The look on her face was sheer determination and enjoyment. I need some of that for the next hill!
  • Congrats Kittenkat that was good going!

I did a gentle 7 miles of Devon hills early and almost caught the dawn, which was nice. An hour dead, took it a bit easy because I had promised to go for a cycle with my teenage son later in the morning. I had suggested he ride alongside me as I ran, but he gave me one of those "but what if my friends see me?" looks! However as he generally exercises only his Playstation thumbs he did not give me too hard a time. So cycled 18m on the Granite Way over Dartmoor on what turned out to be a perfect day for running or walking

• Congrats Kittenkat an awesome time I can only dream of at the moment image

Last Run- Yesterday afternoon...man it was so so so hot! In Cann Woods (thank god for tree cover) trail run (well naughtily off some of the trails actually) through lovely woods, over tree roots, up and down hills and near a river. It was beauooootiful!! Especially when the sun shone through the trees and dappled on the water.

Ran just 30 mins as with OH who hasn't run for a while but probably sensible as very hot AND we went on amazing mountain bike ride today 30K in North Dartmoor. Up to Grimspound, Hounds Tor, Jays Grave and all the stunning stuff in between. Tough climbs, tough and technical descents (especially for a novice like me), but amazing fun especially on some of the faster descents. Again hot work!! But wicked day image

• Ginger NGinger N ✭✭✭

4miles 36mins (30mins swim in the middle) HR 150

Ok I've lurked long enough, time to throw in my two pence worth! I did a not so scenic run to the gym, two miles there, swam for 30mins then did the run home. Took it very easily as I did an 18miler yesterday which I would write more about but it isn't my last run anymore!

Anyways I am running a half marathon on Sunday so I shall not be overdoing it this week....except I'll be running with a club tomorrow for the first time, I'm a little nervous about going!

• Sunday morning - 9.2 miles, in that wonderful area where the city of Sheffield meets the countryside.

For once, I'd actually not drank any booze on Saturday night, and made myself get up to run a lot earlier than I normally manage to.

Put in an extra new loop and got a bit lost, but I always try and plan any new routes so I'll eventually end up somewhere I recognise. The route - as always seems to be the case near Sheffield! - was slightly hillier than I'd anticipated (why have I not learned to expect this?).  A slow run for exploratory purposes rather than for pace, with sunshine but a gentle cool breeze, and great views. Bliss.

Knees felt good, as I was running slowly (quite deliberately, to avoid aggravating injury).  But I'm now rather depressed to find - from Monday afternoon onwards - that I've been getting occasional sharp pains in my right knee again. image

Can't quite work out whether to risk another run today - was hoping to, as I'm lucky enough to have an extra day off work that a lot of people don't get, and I was really looking forward to doing some kind of run today.  Maybe just a short one... 

• 28/08/07 - 5.23m 48:22:40 c 600 AHR 152 MHR 212
    Making the most of the sun. Another warm one this morning. Ventured out this morning after 7:30am and made my way arou8nf this loop. Sun still rising, that's how late it is now in the mornings but as I got half way round, up Hillingdon Hill the sun was blazing, over the top of St John's tower, nice. As today's is a work day, quite a bit of bustle but too early for most, loser's! They are mising the best bit. No trouble with the knee as I ran on my igh arches all the way, lesson there.
    Jog Watch - 0

Keep Running everyone. 

• Hello Allimage  Some of my best runs have been the ones were I've got lost.

Tuesday 28/08/07 – 12:15pm – training run  - Mouldsworth loop.

4.38  miles – 28:40.98 – 6:46 min/mile ave. – 278 ft asc.– Nike Vaporfly.

Jog Watch 1

Today I thought I’d run a lap of a local 10k course I’m targeting at the end of next month but I got as far as the cash and carries and the road was backed up with stationary traffic so I got on the motorway at the roundabout and went up to Mouldsworth and ran my new fave loop.  I wasn’t going to push it today so set off comfortably and held that feeling all the way round, still kept it under marathon pace though. Nice little run spoiled only by the resurfacing work going on in the village, had to dodge wagons spilling grit all over the place and trying not to get stuck in wet tar.

Happy.

Chris.image

• Tired but very pleased with myself. 10.24 miles in 93 minutes. Furthest I'd been before was 7.5 miles but I'd had to walk for a bit of a 10K race last week so my expectations were not too high.

Had planned on around 5 or 6 miles at dinnertime but I was like a kid with a new toy because I was wearing my brand new Asics Gel Nimbus 9s for the first time. Never had a proper pair of running shoes before so I was feeling like a proper runner for the first time, too. Now I have a blister to show for my efforts but I hope the shoes will be broken-in now.

The sun was shining and I'd started gently so I made the start of the loop a bit bigger. Felt good because I was running at a gentle pace so I kept going rather than turning for home. Took a wrong turn because part of the subway was being repaired and ended up running 10 miles rather than the extended 7 or 8 it looked like I was going to do. The last mile and a half were tough but I ran (very slowly) the whole way and feel quite chuffed now.

As a result of getting lost I was forced to run for 3 or 4 miles along the Taff Trail, which follows the river. This was lovely. I even found the back of the castle for the first time - they've kept it well hidden behind information signs and public footpaths. Note to self: get out of the car more and discover more of the beautiful place in which you live.

Will have to take 3 days off to recover but I feel like I've entered a new phase of training by running 10 miles. Even if it was by mistake.

• Winstanley, cracking run, congrats on the personal endurance record.image
  • 28/08/07 - this afternoon, not that long ago (haven't showered yet). Very hilly 5.8 miles at 9.5min-mile pace.  Felt damn good. image

Had been worried about the knees, but after very little activity over the past couple of days I was eager to get out, and all went smoothly.  Will have another rest tomorrow.

Slightly slower pace than I ran for my 10K PB, but that race was on a much flatter route.  Blimey Sheffield's good training!

(Realise now I may have mis-calculated how fast I ran 7.5 miles the Sunday before last but not to worry - I'm not the most scientific of runners).

So good to be alive sometimes!!  Lovin' it.

• BB ✭✭✭

Great running everyone image

I took all morning and part of the afternoon to get myself out the door for my long run today - but I am glad I did. I started up on the South Downs at Butts Brow and went down to Jevington, then to Friston and East Dean and Birling Gap before climbing back to the top of the Downs at Beachy Head, then back to Butts Brow. A pretty hilly route that seemed to have a lot more up than down - great views though! I wore my heart rate monitor again and made myself go slowly so that I could do the distance - 12.5 miles in 2:23:16.

Jogwatch: 2

• Some great runs here.

My last run - last night - 7 miles.

This is the longest I have ever run, so I am feeling rather pleased with myself. Especially as the second mile was up one of the steepest hills in my area - I was planning on walking up it as I was convinced I would not be able to run it. But i did! image I think what kept me going was the road was jammed with traffic at a stand still and I wanted to prove to all the drivers in the their cars that I could make it, and I was extremely surprised that I did. Had to rest for a short walk at the top, but felt fantastic! And what goes up, must come down...

Ran across Blackheath for the first time, I always thought it would be lovely to run up there, but was disappointed - it was REALLY boring!! Have realised I prefer changing scenery rather than flat open spaces. Down through Greenwich feeling fab knowing that I had only 1.5miles to go - which actually seemed to go on FOREVER! Aching hip today...

• Great run Bronnie,  everyone seems to be making good improvements, long may it continue.
  • Ginger NGinger N ✭✭✭

5.10miles 44minutes HR 155

This was my first run with a club so I went along and introduced myself to a few a people who were hovering around doing stretches, so to fit in I did some too. The various groups were announced and I decided to go off with the medium group. All seemed ok for the first mile as we ran down beside a main road, but despite the fading light we were led into the woods and trails. I couldn't see a thing! We seemed to stop every 5mins to regroup and work out where we were which got really frustrating!! But I stuck with it and had no probs sticking with the guys at the front. I will definitely go again as I'm sure it will help make me a better runner, but I hope that's the last time we're taken into the trails until the evenings get lighter again otherwise I'm going to be wearing a head torch next time!

jogwatch 80 (all running group!)

• Sorry - I probably should have read the earlier pages and thus found this out, but what does jogwatch mean? image

Nice one everyone!

• BB ✭✭✭

Jogwatch is just how many other runners you saw when you were out on the run image

Well done on the 7 miles and the hill Bronnie - it is always nice to be  going faster than the traffic!

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    0545 start: reverse of stock 5-miler through Waterloo and Crosby, quiet as the grave and quite gloomy despite the full-ish moon. angry red fingers touching banks of grey cloud and on the cool side at 12 deg. C. Steady to brisk pace but slowed on the uphill mile.

This was my 74th consecutive day of running - slight soreness in left heel when walking but OK on the run. Can plantar fasciitis affect the heel?

Jogwatch: 0
  • Great running everyone.

After 3 days rest I did an 8km run from Camden to Bermonsey.  A new route that took me through the City of London and along the Thames. Started slow and steady then naturally  speed up. Started chasing another faster runner by Kings Cross and felt like I overdid it by the second km. Slowed down and enjoyed the run through the City playing dodge through the crowds. I usually try and avoid crowded places but sometimes its fun to zigzag around them.  Ran over Blackfriars Bridge, I think. Got a thumbs up from a guy on the bridge which cheered me up as I was flagging a bit on a slight incline. Then along the river by the Tate Modern, Round House and Borough Market and into Bermondsey. Over took another runner along the The Thames and we both egged each other on for about 1-2km.

Has anyone thought of this as a alternative to the open top buses! Running tours! Maybe miss out the Bermonsey bit!

42 mins with a couple of stops  to check the A-Z.

Had a big pizza and a glass of wine. Sod it! I earned it! 

Jogwatch: loads of them - about 30 or so. 

• BB ✭✭✭
    74 consecutive days of running - that's impressive Swittle image
  • Morning all. I am amazed at te distances you all knock up. Great and truly inspiring! Anyway for me today.

30/08/07 - 7.7m 1:30:33 c 895 AHR 151 MHR 212
    What is it about me or my body? I woke up this morning and felt a tad rough but nevertheless I ventured out of my door just before 6am this morning. The street lamps were beginning to turn off one by one and the sky was a light to mid blue. Shouldn't I be in bed? After 100 or so yards, not a chance. I ran again like Tuesday last. Like a spring lamb as I bounded on my high arches through the circus, Ickenham, Uxbridge and to home through the Village. I said hello to as many people as i could and the solitary Jog Watched joined me in a hi-5, what a day! It is great to be alive and what with my new extra half mile on the green my zest for extending myself is re-born. No knee trouble at all today. truly a great Thursday!
    Jog Watch - 1

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thanks, "B".  I'm not sure about the wisdom of it, however!  image
  • Morning all, Yesterday, busy day, went into work early on, to find not much to do so took an early mark called in at the Gym and did an hour and a half, 3 easy kilometers on the treaddie as i had been out previous two days. Had my Boxercise class in the evening, very hard it was, came out decided to do an easy couple of kilometers back down the hill towards home taking a little detour along the canal, very peaceful, feeling it this morning though, putting off my 10k's till tomorrow me thinks, rest day.

• Hello Allimage  More good work from everyone!

Thursday 30/08/07 – 1:11pm – easy run  - Shropshire Union Canal.

4 miles – 26:29.28 – 6:37min/mile ave. – 80 ft asc.– Nike Vaporfly.

Jog Watch 0

Easy run along the canal today.  Wind was against me on the way back but it enforced good form and efficiency, not a lot else to say about today’s run.

I wish I could write more interesting and descriptive posts.

Happy enough.

Chris.image

• BB ✭✭✭

5.5 easy miles along Eastbourne seafront 57.55 mins

Unusually for me I went for a run along the seafront in the late evening. The tide was out and I could smell the seaweed on the rocks - a great time to go rockpooling , but no time for that! It was one of those summer evenings where the air feels soft and warm, but the swirling clouds of starlings over the pier reminded me that we are nearing the end of summer image Lots of other people out taking the air, walkers, skaters, and concert goers - off to see the band that I passed waiting outside the bandstand ready to go on. Mostly a flat run with just a cheeky little slope back up to the upper prom at the end. Five miles is just a short run now when not long ago it was my long run - and that feels great image

Jogwatch: 5

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    This is a great thread! No lack of description or evaluative comments. I try to imagine doing your routes myself. Just imagine if they were all collected and sorted by county - we'd discover places we never imagined existed.

For me, one of the stock 5 milers through Waterloo and Crosby with my friend who's just returned from Rhodes. Slight temperature difference was noted image On the slow side, as we'd some catching up to do, and talked the whole 40 minutes.
  • I love this thread!

I've really enjoyed my running this week - it has been easier than in all the heat and sun last week - not that I'm knocking good weather!

I don't get on line very often as I have to fight my teenagers for internet access, so I'll summarise the week so far.

Monday. Clunbury Hill Race. 5.9 km, and hilly (suprise!) This is a great race at a local show (The Purslow Show). The sixth time I run it and my second fastest time - 27:21. I finished 7th - which is my best position. Forgot my off roaders, so ran in lightweight road shoes - maybe a recipe for success.

No run on Tuesday (Monday is usually my rest day)

Wednesday 29th. 8km, mostly on road. 39:42. Jogwatch 0. An enjoyable steady run on one of my regular undulating routes. It is much easier now the fields have been combined. Have you noticed what a good year it has been for buzzards? I saw six on the run! (and a mad sheepdog who ran out and demanded to be stroked before she would let me past).

Thursday 30th. 26km. 2hrs 47min. Jogwatch 0. Ramblerwatch 5.

I would recommend this route to anyone. Just over half off road. I had run several bits of the route before, but never all together, and some stretches were new to me and require map reading. This was a circular route in the South Shropshire Hills, taking in three peaks: Titterstone Clee: 533m, and the two Brown Clee "peaks": Clee Burf : 520m and Abdon Burf : 540m.

A much cooler, grey day, not bad for running. As I reached the moorland on Brown Clee the wind picked up and it started to rain - I was glad of the gilet I was carrying in the bumbag. The cloud level fell and by the time I reached Abdon Burf there was no sign of the great view I had anticipated, so I grabbed a drink and jaffa cake and headed on across the common. I got a little lost but worked it out from the map without resorting to the compass. The route dropped a couple of hundred metres gradually, and looked easy on the map. Typically, the sun came out, so I was sweating buckets by the time I had finished the last 8 or 9 km, which was all on road. Tiring, but satisfying.

I shall definitely be doing this one again!

• I'm glad you like this thread, just let everyone know how good it feels to run.

31/08/07 - 4.3m 38image2 c 448 AHR 147 MHR 216
    Back to beginnings this morning with the original route, I decided to taper down today ready for the 5 mile race on Sunday. I am presently feeling like running every day, something i have never tried. Four days consecutively is my best. I plan another small run tomorrow just to keep going then race the following day. After that who knows? Today was just a steady run, I am disappointed that my time was 38+ but what the hell, more running. I have managed to rack up a few miles this month, 120 in all, very happy with that.

Jog Watch - 3 

• Superb run this morning 8.40 Kilometers, really pleased as this is the third outdoor run i have done this week, i have a phobia about getting out and running outdoors at the moment, so mega pleased, as i seem to do a lot of my training on a treadmill, i am one of these people who keep a detailed training log, not on line but on paper, detailed graphs everything, there has been an awful lot of blue treaddie runs in my log at the moment rather than red outdoor runs, but this weeks looking more like an old crysyal palace kit from the eighties that Ian Wright used to wear.

Anyway very pleased, three kilometers along the Canal towards Tamworth at around 6am when i started, just as night was turning into day, up along a hilly section, down passed Polesworth cricket club, passing a few polite dog owners walking their dogs, and back home down the hill into polesworth via Dordon, the first section was hard but better than lqast time, the hilly section was much better to. last section felt legs a little, but pleased with distance and getting out.