Is this any good !

Hi all, as a beginner doin 2 4-5 mile runs a week, as well as bike work, i wondered if my treadmill session was any good for fitness/strength etc.
start at 6mph and every minute up the pace by 0.1 mph until i hit 8.5 mph after 25 mins...get my drift.

Experts, please let me know

Comments

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi FPO (I've just done a run for the FSNBF),

I found (and still find) the treadmill invaluable when I first started out 8 months ago. You might find it a bit tedious upping the mileage in such small increments.

Why don't you try 'intervals' where you would start at say 9.5kph for 5 mins then up the speed to 11.5kph for 5 mins and repeat this seqence 3 or 4 times.

You can also do Fartleks on the treadmill eg normal running speed 9.5kph for 10 minutes then up the speed to 13kph for 1 - 2 minutes then do a recovery jog for say 10 minutes etc etc.

I've found that these combinations have really helped with my speed and strength and allowed me to turn on the speed when I've needed to in a race.

Let us know how you get on.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Agree with Redhead.
    You don't say how long you run for - do you stop at 25 minutes ? I'd suggest 5 minutes at 6-6.5mph to warm up , then 5 minutes at 7.5-8.0 mph with 2 minutes recoveries at 6-6.5mph.Repeat 3-4 times, and cool down for at least 5 minutes.
    Juggle the times/speeds to suit yourself.

Most 'experienced' runners do intervals over distances of 200m-1mile (30s-10mins)
    at paces between mile pace and halfM pace, as a regular part of their running.

As Redhead says this improves speed and strength.
  • Thanks for the advice, just done..........
    5 mins @ 6mph, 2min @ 8mph, 2 min easy, 3min 8mph, 2 min easy, 2 min 8mph, 2 min easy, 3 min 8mph, 9 min cool down @ 6mph.

A very good 30 min run, feel great, if unable to stop sweating !

Anymore tips ?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    It all depends on what you're aiming for.
    Have a read through the '***day Session' threads on this forum where most forumites post there daily routines.
    Obviously they encompass all types of runners but you can modify the sessions for your times & capabilities.

Good Luck.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi FPO,

I forgot to mentiion hills.

I always run at a 1% incline on the treadmill (I read somewhere that this compensates for the difference to running outside) but once every 2 weeks I do a hill session too. You can use the hill prog on the treadmill which varies the gradient or you can do it manually within your main run. I often try between 3 - 5% gradients for about 20 minutes - can't manage any more yet - and I'm sure that it helps me.
  • Hi FPO

Would just add that correct form is vital on the treadmill - you need to run more or less as you would on the road.

Also, stick a Bl**dy great big fan in front of you to keep cool.

Finally, don't forget your walkman and "Steps Greatest Hits" tape!

Good luck

Gavin
  • Have the fan, got the 'Sash' cd blaring out, my mind full of so many varied training schedules i cant think of what 1 to do !
  • Treadmill run while at work earlier today:

1 mile @ 6mph, then 3 times :half mile @ 8mph, half mile @6mph
    Worked out 4 miles in 35 mins. nice hot Radox bath now required ! !