Mablethorpe Marathon 16/09/2007

Comments

• I can't stop eating and thinking about food! I think it's my body's way of telling me to refuel. Anyone else feel the same?
  • april_runner

You are probably right, don't forget to continue hydrating too.

I usually take extra vitamin c after a tough race as your resistance to infection is lowered and you are liable to pick up a virus easier if you come in to contact with one.

• RB you should have mail bout TENS
  • You're welcome Mick, thought I'd dress for the occasion of you finishing the race....

Anyone doing the Bridlington half on 14th October?

• Don't suppose I can tempt you lot down to deepest, darkest Dorset for my home town race in November...the Gilly Hilly??

Now we have hills in this part of the world that you'll need crampons and rope attached for to get up....

A-R been nibbling all day...looking forward to a curry tonight and am hydrating with a bottle of red...it's early but someone had to start..still got my medal on too.

• hi all just got back, spent day in mablethorpe recovering. (full english. followed by donhuts.)

my second marathon was going well did 1.44 first 13, was still on for 3.30 at 16 then groin went. struggled through last 10. nearly got into a fight at the end of the prom as a group of lads and girls wouldnt move so i just ran through them, 12 years of rugby did me well, got confused at the crossing as i was asked to stop??. found it hard running on my own for 2 hours, too far behind the person in front and the person behind nowhere to be seen. and sould destroying going past the finishe line to go rund the houses, was the longest 500m ive ever known.

all the peple i came with did well, we had 5th and 6th in  marathon. 4 completed half (1 did his first in 1.37) and 2 did the 10k ( we had 3rd fvet60). and we had a great night out sunday.

think we might be back next year, however not sure if i will continue at this distance, a bit far for me i think. might stick to training others...

haggus cheers for the jelly babies. it was a nice scenic run, shame bout the wind, great organisation and a fantastic bag at the end. thanks to the mayor who came to see i was ok when i was ill at the end.

• Well done DB9! You did a great time! What number were you? I was 100 - cool number!
  • chris well don

I dropped down this year to the 10k from the marathon

it was a great start time 8.45 and a good course give it a bash next year 

• Thanks april_runner...sorry we didn't meet.  I was 217 and now I'm off to apply for my GFA for next years FLM....wahoo!!!!!!

Come to Dorset??

• RB - thnks, bit down at mo, still not 100 percent, will give it a week and see how i feel, might do halves and 10ks from now on. Ive never felt so ill in 30 years of doing sport and not sure whether i would put myself through it again.. well done to everybody.image

• Chris, i felt like that after last years marathon, sticking to 10K. 10 mile and halfs from now on, only the FLM would tempt me to do another one just to try for that elusive sub 4hrs.
  • i will scam know i can do sub 1.40 half and if i pushed it sub 40 10k. i think im too big (muscular of course) to run 26 miles. think we will be there next year its a good weekend away...
  • chris-chin up you ran 26miles in touh conditions that wind was awesome also the sun and sea air can take it out  of you a good couple of days rest to recharge the batteries then a few easy miles
  • RB cheers mate, played rugby for 14 years top level never hurt so much. I just didnt enjoy it and thats when i said i would draw the line, will have a run thursday see how i feel. did blackpol and loved every mile so maybe was just not the day for me..

• It can be a bit soul destroying when you get out into the sticks, that's another reason I didn't do it as I live in Mabo, know the route and know it is sparsely populated in areas.

The only reason I hate the run in along the prom is because I run it 2-3 times a week....out to Sutton and back to Mabo!

• scam-strange you say that as when I walked the 10k route with rlass i said what a great place to be able to do soom speed and interval training as its pretty flat

but I suppose if I was running it as often as you it may change my mind

also the beach when the tide is out must be great for training on

and get in amongst those sand dunes phew talk about sore calf muscles

• I LOVE THE DUNES!!!! Esp to the north of Mabo, it's a fantastic training run. The club has a 4.7mile route which takes you throug a mile of the dunes and it's brilliant, but if you wanted to there is a good 15-20 mile stretch that you could do heading north just through the dunes and beach image
  • I did the Nottingham marathon, my first, yesterday in just under 5 hours. 13,000 runners apparently. I'm looking for my nearest marathon to Scarborough for next year, and this looks like it. Maybe I'll see y'all next year. I imagine the two events are very different image
  • Just for the sake of it, I'll take 800....
  • Yes another enjoyable run even though 7 minutes slower than last year 1.37 for the half.

I see mention of energy drinks for the marathon, all a nice addition but these only provide an energy boost for a short time the longer boost is an individual belief that it works longer, as for cramp that is mainly down to hydration which is just plain water.

Having run 11 marathons I have only run four trying or using energy drinks and all my best and most comfortable runs were with water only, just one marathon I had cramp which was leaving to long a gap between drinks while tired  between 18 and 22 miles and I did have energy drinks on that run.

T he wind and heat will have caused the main problems for runners.

Well done to all who ran and thanks for a well organised event.

• sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭
    Chris- sorry it didn't go as planned for you. Hope you feeling better now
  • Supergirl Pam - It was me who spoke to you after the race - nice to have met you.

I think the course on a wind free, overcast day is a nail on PB for anyone and I think the dedication of the organizing team has been fantastic, so will definately be back next year to see if I can improve by 1 place!

Only 1 piece of constructive criticism, which related to the last 2 miles. The lead runner was out of sight and it wasn't clear at certain points, particularly the bit that dropped down towards the sand, what the route was, as I started to take the straight on option I was deafened out of my private world by people screaming WRONG WAY. Also, as you come off the prom, there were marshalls sat on some concrete flower beds but didn't say anything until I continued on the path and screamed WRONG WAY. I know this all sounds obvious to locals and me for next year...but

Haggis, I looked out for the Tartan sash - but as you may already have concluded - I am not the most observant!!!!

Great event and certainly back for next year - when are the entries opening? 

• hi NDO.  I was at mile 21 where you turn up brickyard lane - handing out the jelly babies.  gave up with the haggus hat as it kept blowing away and my other half was fed up chasing it so it ended up in the car

will let you know when entries are opening. we are having a meeting on thursday to discuss it and decide on date

glad you enjoyed it!!!!!!!!!!

• NDO- hi I was one of the peeps screeming at you I did the 10k

after your mistake we moved the few orange cones a bit and on my way back down the prom spoke to one of the raynet guys who was walking towards that point he said he would stand and direct other runners

strange though I know they had marshall on this point last year

• hi all

just to let you know that we will be discussing all these points on thursday and they will be sorted for next year.

• I have actually e mailed the organiser with a list of good and bad points!

Perhaps a small loop could be fitted in to avoid that bit round the houses at the end. Going straight off the sea front in to the field would be much nicer.

NDO,

I agree with your comments about the last couple of miles, I called out 'which way' 2 or 3 times. 

Have recovered really well but must continue heavy? training as I have a 24 hour race on the 6th/7th of October. My 11th 24 hour so as you can imagine I just love going round and round in circles on a track.

If anyone is interested in ultra distance please e mail me, I'm the Chairman of the 100KM Association and I organise a great 6 & 12 hour track race -29th March 2008. All abilities welcome.

• It's a shame there are so many stories of people not knowing which way to go on the course - it did take the edge of the event a bit for me. I'm sure I don't need to say this, but marathons are tough enough without throwing an element of orienteering into the equation!

If these things are straightened out for next year, that would make the marathon an even better event. image 

• Hi April runner.  I will take this up at the meeting on thursday as I'm surprised that this has happened
  • Mabo was my debut marathon so I can't really offer constructive critiscm...compared to other marathons.  My experience was therefore different to a lot of others...but there is so much that you have got absolutely right, this is an awesome event with just a couple of niggles.

At mile 13 I was out on my own and there were a couple of turns where I could have gone the wrong way.  So maybe an arrow sign painted on the road?

Like others have mentioned the bit where you drop off the promenade was v sandy and I was already going slow at that point.

Running by the finishing area was a torment.

But I have competed in 70 ish races and never have I been in the company of a friendlier bunch of people.  So many people - the lady cooking the pasta, the guy in the tent looking after my bag while I went out running, the lady that offered me her chair when I finished, the elderly lady that gave me my goody bag, the many "come on luv, not far to go", the cheery marshalls...the Mayor, Haggus, Tony, the guy whipping up support on the PA, the peeps in the car park, the peeps of Mabo,...I could go on!

There's a whole lot right about the Mablethorpe Marathon.  A day I will never forget.