Mums Running Club

Comments

• Hi Minks. I would get him onto protein asap, as he needs the iron. Babies iron stores rapidly depreciate after 6 months, so they need food to replace it. Chicken will be fine for him and won't upset him, start with chicken and yoghurt which pretty safe then try fish and cheese, which are the worry proteins. Am sure he will be fine. I delayed my two on protein but then they were iron supplements being prem anyway. Once he is established on those then you can try red meat. I wouldn't leave it too much longer and it will help with sleep etc.

Lovely to hear from you again CM. I had no idea you had PND. Am so glad you are coping well with it, and sounds like Jacob is a bundle of joy. Can't believe you expressed for 9 months, amazing!

• A.P glad to see the protective instinct overrides normal beaviour with others too.  My nephew was over last Fri, all was going fine until he had to go home when he started just pushing James over.  James was not bothered by this so he tried dragging him, again James was not bothered.  I intervined when cousin pushed James over and put his fist into James'' neck.  Unfortunately I acted so quickly I think I just pushed him off James as I went to pick James up.

Funny how when it is not your own you act much more rationally (I work in a school!).

CM so impressed that you expressed for 9 months and I get fed up about trying to express for James' cereal. 

James is a bit poorly now.  He had a cold last week, which moved onto his chest at the weekend.  On Monday the doctor gave him an antibiotic which I phoned about yesterday as he had bad diarroea and was sick.  Today he has changed to a different one.  Fingers crossed. 

• minks - if your little one likes veg and rice, try chicken risotto.  jacob loved it (and still does) and you can make it for all of you with lo / no-salt stock.  i used to stir mango in it to start off with to sweeten it up for jacob (used mango like you use pear, i think).

also lamb is meant to be quite safe - low allergen, i think. 

janie tri - katrina is fab.  very down to earth, although perhaps a bit hippy in some of her ideas.  i think this is common to a lot of the LLL though.  a lot of them home-school and still b/feed at 5 etc... not that there is anything wrong with that at all, but they are very earth-mothery.  i felt a bit of a fraud when i got out fragance-free wipes to change jacob's nappy when i was there, because they all used ones they had made themselves, or compostable / recyclable ones!

katrina was also 'trained' by carol (who works at caerphilly). i wouldn't write off caerphilly just because you have bad memories.  carol is an absolute genius when it comes to b/feeding - although it didn't work for me, but that prob had more to do with my PND than anything else.  carol will also see people at the gwent if you really can't face caerphilly.  i would really recommend trying to see both, but see how you get on with katrina first. 

my husband has had to go and fetch jacob from nursery today because he's unwell.  not much of a surprise as i have had tonsillitis this week and am on penicillin.  just hope he doesn't have it!

• Janie I was fed on carnation!!!! Did it do me any harm, I don't think so, but people may beg to differ!!!

I think b/f is great if you can do it. I was very lucky with my two as they latched on and were guzzlers and we found it very easy. I did use a breast feeding cousellor though as I was using nipple shields when we left hospital as the boys mouths were so tiny, she was great and really helped me, but I know others who have found them not so great.

I'm with you janie. I use non-organic motherease washable nappies, but I use tesco wipes, mainly cos I had two pukers, but do use muslin cloths too. I do use washable liners though as found the paper ones too pricey, but use paper when boys have runny bums! I use dispoables when we go away for the weekend though.

Let us know how you get on Minks am sure Kit will love it.

My two were very sick last night. Not sure if it was pasta I made them or whether they had tummy bug. Milk and weetabix seems ok so far this morning. Fingers crossed. Poor loves both have stinking colds too as do I.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Sounds like lots of colds and general ickiness around at the moment - hope all who are poorly feel better soon, mums and babies!

Right, Kit is getting chicken as of next week!  Mum roasted a chicken the other night as my brother was going round for dinner, and has saved me the carcass to make stock.  Is it possible to buy low or no-salt stock?  Have looked at both fresh stock and stock cubes in the supermarket but all have very high salt content.  Am keen to make risottos and other things which require stock, but not so keen to have to boil up a chicken carcass each time!  Gave Kit a little chicken from my sandwich yesterday lunchtime, which he ate with enthusiasm so think he'll be fine.  Am not too concerned about his iron stores (although I do know that the iron they're born with is pretty much used up by 6 months) as there's loads in his formula, and his baby rice and porridge are also fortified with iron.  Will start with chicken and yoghurt as MM suggests.

I'm afraid I use disposable nappies and I do also use wipes.  We don't have a tumble dryer and also have a small house, and I couldn't face the thought of nappies draped everywhere to dry.  As it is we have to put our clothes airer in the lounge now - it used to be in the spare room but that's now Kit's bedroom!  Luckily Kit isn't a puker and I get away with muslin cloths for pretty much everything.  Bought stacks of them at the beginning and they are just invaluable.

Running is going well, have been a bit careful the last couple of days as could feel a recurrence of the hamstring tear I did while training for FLM 2006, but so far it seems to be OK with a combination of keeping my pace down (always a challenge for me!) and actually making myself stretch after each run.  My biggest problem at the moment is some kind of elbow strain.  No idea what I've done or how I've done it, but the outside of my elbow joint feels bruised, and straightening my arm and taking any weight on it is agony.  Also any pressure I apply with my right hand hurts like hell - couldn't turn the bathroom door handle with my right hand this morning.  Have taken some ibuprofen but doesn't seem to have helped much.  Have probably lifted something too heavy or lifted awkwardly but hope it improves soon as a bit of a nuisance when I need to lift Kit, the buggy, the carseat etc ...

JT, let us know how you get on with Katrina - all sounds a little hippy-dippy but of course we must keep an open mind about these things! 

• AP - good to hear from you again! Glad you enjoyed the holiday (despite over enthusiasitc toddlers!) and good to hear about your travel plans.

Minks - Kallo and Marigold both do low-salt stock which is pretty good, I've found - but TBH at the start you could just use water / homemade vegetable stock (just boil some carrots, leek, celery etc in water with herbs if necessary) for things like risotto. Also, when I start using stock in weaning food,  I dilute  it to around half strength, so the salt content is even lower.  I found using herbs and onion, garlic etc. in small quantities can make weaning food really tasty without adding loads of salt in. Good to hear your running is going well - hmm, stretching - I think I need to start doing some of that! Hope your elbow starts to feel better soon.

Right - supposed to be trying to have a snooze now as have been up since 5.30 and I'm driving down to my parents with the children tonight as DH is away this weekend. Have a good weekend everyone.

• Minks - Hope Kit likes the chicken.  I was not very good with home cooking, mine never liked anything I cooked after all the effor I put in!
    In the end I gave up and went for the jars (mostly HIPP) which they seemed to like.

JT- Hope you get some good advice and the BF get's better & easier.

Talking about snoozing I thought I'd share my weekends exploits.  For a change it had nothing to do with babies, hubby or exercise even, just peace and tranquility.  I went to Champneys Spa for a day with a friend,  MIL and hubby were looking after the kids.
    It cost me £50 for the day including lunch and use of all facilities.  It was generaly nice and relaxing but I found it funny that the best part of the day was when I fell asleep after lunch for about 2 hours! I can't remember when last I had uninterupted sleep, it was bliss. Have a good weekend everyone xxx

• The thought of 2 days in bed sounds lovely... not sure the reality would be as good though!  Hope the expressing works and the Hv is ok...she should respect that as a mum you need to go with your instincts.  It surprises me as in my experiance medical peeps have been so overcautious... I had to take Milla to the doc yesturday cos she had a blocked nose at her 8 week check!

Just wondering how often youall get baby weighed... i havnt for 2 weeks and was thinking once a month would be ok (providing I felt all was ok) but wondering now if I should go more often?

Ditto to the dribbling and hands in mouth!

Having a wake or not to wake the other baby at night dilemma... 1 woke at 2 30 last night and try as I might I couldnt rouse the other enough to feed.... she went on to sleep til 4 30 which was great but meant i had to get up twice in the night and twice early morning.  The more i think about it, when I have trouble settling one down after a night feed it is usually the one I have woken.  Cant wait til they go right through.... for some reason feeling really tired lately even though the girls are going 4 - 6 hours at a stretch most nights, think I might need to get R to do a night with expressed bottles although not at all sure he would wake up and I am so tuned in I would wake anyway and need to express to stop my boobs exploding!

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

JT, glad you got on OK at LLL and it wasn't TOO "earth-motherish"!  I have to say that seeing older children breastfeeding makes me feel a bit peculiar but each to their own, I guess.  I watched a TV programme about extended breastfeeding once and there was an 11-year-old still wanting "booby" which I couldn't quite get my head around!  Sounds like you had some reasonable advice - hope you find some of it useful and it helps.  Anything to get Ted off the Gaviscon must be worth a try.

Hetty, I've been taking Kit to be weighed weekly since he was born.  The HV has said on a number of occasions that it's not necessary but it's always given me peace of mind to know he's been following his centile line and gaining weight steadily.  However, now he's nearly 7 months the weight gain has really slowed (perfectly normal, I'm assured) to only 2-3oz a week, if that.  This week he showed a loss of 1oz but the HV said he just hadn't gained, and they didn't look on it as weight loss as it could just be the difference between a full bowel or tummy last week and not this week.  In the early days I needed the reassurance of knowing that he was putting on weight therefore I must be doing something right - now I think I feel confident enough about my mothering skills to know that he's healthy, happy and content, and I think I'd know instinctively if there was a problem, so will probably now only get him weighed once a month or so.  As I'm going back to work in just over a week (aargh) it's about the right time anyway as I don't want to waste the days I have with him taking him to the clinic.

It's funny how they seem to sense when you're in a hurry and play up.  I was due at a friend's at 11:30 this morning - in theory straight after Kit's "lunch" which is currently at about 11:15am (friend lives a couple of minutes' walk away).  I prepared sweet potato and parsnip, which he's had loads of times before, but mixed in a small amount of pureed runner beans which he's never tried.  He completely refused to eat it after tasting the first mouthful (and he NEVER refuses food!)  Tried mixing in some pear but he wasn't fooled.  Eventually I made up 3tsp of baby rice with some formula and stirred the veg mixture into it and he finally decided to eat it - was 20 minutes late at my friend's!  Obviously filled him up though as he usually takes a full bottle at about 2:30pm and only took 5oz today.  Has only done 3 pooey nappies today which was great after the last few days - but the one he did just before his tea was a total explosion!  Soaked through his trousers and all down my top (I was holding him at the time!) and was a nightmare trying to get his bodysuit off without getting poo all over him.  It's more solid now too so was just dropping off in lumps all over the place - revolting!  It's even harder now because as soon as I undo his nappy he goes straight for his willy so have to try to keep his hands away until I've cleaned his bottom - the joys of boys!

• Minks I use the kallo low salt stock cubes. Really don't have the time to make stock, it seems fine and we now use it for everything.

glad the breast feeding clinic was ok janie and useful. Fingers crossed it all gets better now sickiness wise.

Hetty I always used to wake the other baby regardless, I often wondered whether Harry would have slept through from 10 weeks, but I wasn't gonna take the risk!

Thought my two were out of the woods cold and tummy wise today until Harry threw up his ready brek and banana all over me. Lovely! Hubbie has man flu too, great weekend ahead ;o) I am ill too, but someone has to get on with it hey!!

Went shopping with them yesterday they were so well behaved, very proud of them, got some lovely clothes for them too.

Was supposed to race a 10k tomorrow but too ill for that really. Shame, but at least it means hopefully will be ok for my half in 3 weeks time.

• I haven't had my two weighed since their 8 month check, they are now 11 months.

I guess it was roughly monthly before that. Having them weighed around a year as they will then correct them to the year, so it will look like they have lost weight on their charts.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

What do you do when LO suddenly decides they don't like veggies any more?  Kit's been great and eaten everything I've given him - until Friday (see previous post).  Fussed with veggies again Saturday but hubby managed to get him to eat them, then today was even worse and eventually only ate about 3/4, which took about half an hour.  He seems to have a cold so maybe that's affecting his appetite?  Could also have sore gums - last night he woke up about 7:45pm having been asleep for an hour, and it took us 20 minutes to console him and calm him down.  Was beside himself - real tears, the lot.  Not sure what the matter was as he usually sleeps brilliantly, but eventually have him a dose of Calpol and rubbed his gums with Bonjela and he settled down.  Not sure if he's just a bit poorly and off his food because of that, or if he's suddenly going to start getting fussy.  He's fine with baby rice and porridge - think I may have been giving him too much porridge after a full bottle of milk which may also be putting him off his later vegetable meal?  Don't want to turn mealtimes into a battle or give him a complex but also don't want him to think he's going to be able to get away with refusing hs veggies every day.  What to do?

MM, I seem to have a bit of a cold coming too.  Supposed to be doing a 9-mile run today but just don' feel up to it - slept really badly last night, waking virtually every hour as I was worried about Kit, so feel a bit wiped out today.  Thanks for stock cube info - am currently making a batch of fresh chicken stock but don't think I could face doing that every time!  If there are low-salt stock cubes available that will be a life-saver!

Had a rubbish day yesterday.  On our way shopping and hubby went into the back of a 4x4 Jeep at a roundabout.  Jeep was in front of us and started to pull out onto the roundabout.  Hubby checked right to see if the road was clear which it was, so pulled out - not realising Jeep had suddenly stopped.  Didn't see Jeep in time and went into the back of it.  No-one hurt and barely a scratch on the Jeep - but our car's a complete mess, crumpled bonnet, bent radiator grill and wrecked front bumper.  Shopping trip was aborted and looks like we'll be carless while the damage is repaired.  Had to do all the food shopping on foot today - luckily there were two of us.  I usually do the weekly shop with Kit on a Monday but obviously I take the car as a) can't push a buggy and a trolley at the same time and b) can't carry all the stuff and push the buggy home.  You never realise how much you rely on something until you don't have it. 

Hope everyone who's a bit under the weather feels better soon.  Am crossing my fingers for a decent night's sleep tonight. 

• Hi everyone,

Janie hope you're getting on better with b/f following on your consultation with LLL. 

AP, Louise is drooling and chomping on her hands too.  I also wondered about teething but figured it had to be miles too early so it's a relief to hear that Hector is at the same thing! 

Running going quite well.  Have only been doing 5Ks but today I upped it to 7K but kept the pace static until the last K.  Finished it and lay down to do some sit ups.  When I sat up again I thought I was going to puke everywhere!  Now that would have been embarrassing!  What is annoying is that I can only wear one of my sports bras and one of my tops to run in.  Have got a black shock absorber B109 I think it is.  It's amazing.  Bought a different style in white and it just doesn't have the same clamping effect.  i have to wear a coloured top as bra black and I can't wear any of my old gym kit as unfortunately they are quite fitted and you can see the outline of my breastpads!

i know you are not supposed to diet when you are b/f but does anyone know how many calories you are supposed to take in?  I am thinking about doing a weightwatchers plan (using my own old stuff) and thought i'd allow myself say 24 points.  I used to get 18  but I am over 10st so you get 20 and then I thought I'd give myself 4 extra points for b/f purposes.  i just feel so blob like and i have hardly anything to wear.  It seems that all my tops are cropped tops!  Styles have obviously changed so much in 1 year because I never noticed they were short before and whilst the boobs are hitching them up a bit, I can't blame everything on them.  Try though I might!  Mentioned it at new mums group and they all agreed!  The group did turn out to be fun as it was the 3 people whom I actually liked from my ante natal who were there and so we just have a standing arrangement to meet there each week and catch up. 

Sleeping is going well again.  We now feed at 5pm and then bath at 6.15 - 6.30ish followed by another feed at 7pm (bottle of expressed milk) and then bed.  Louise stays asleep til she's woken around 11pm and then we get til 7 or 7.15 ish.  It's amazing!  I get up sharp which lets me have brekky, express 150mls so I have some spare and then I just get my contacts in, brush teeth and wash my face and I'm ready to face the world. 

Was out for a work leaving do on Friday.  A mate of a mate was there and he is one of these naturally superfit people.  he used to do 32min 10Ks before he discovered beer and cricket.  he decided to run a 5K recently and was pleased with an 18 min 5K even though he thought it was a bit slow and he could easily do better.  At my peak I managed a 21.37 5K.  Post preg I have now got it down to 25.57!

Suspect I am heading towards the max post so will head off.  Have a good week all,

Claire

• How often should babies poo when they get to around about a year old ?  Isla was pooing everyday for a while, but lately it has been sometimes only every other day, or not for 3 days sometimes and sometimes a bit hard.  She gets lots of fruit and veg through the day, but maybe she isn't drinking enough.  She gets breastmilk morning and evening, but won't drink formula through the day, we offer her water and juice, and she drinks a wee drop but not very much, how can i get her to drink more fluid through the day ??  Are there any baby juices that anyone would recommend ?? Is it too early to try her with cow's milk and see if she likes that, she's just over a year old now.
  • Sorry, mean't to say she's just UNDER a year old, she was 11 months last thursday (20th)
  • Morning all!

Hope you had a good weekend all round.

Minks - sorry to hear about your car accident, it must have shaken you up a bit, and it'll be such a pain to be without your car. I hope it gets sorted soon.

Janie - You are doing so well to keep going with the breastfeeding with all the challenges you are facing. It's good to get advice from a few sources and I find it's really easy to fall into a pattern or habits that you don't realise you are doing until you speak to another breastfeeding mother (I 'forget' to swap sides as Hector is really not that keen on the left side and I've realised I've been going for an easy life!). I phoned the Breastfeeding Network when I had food poisoning the other week - I was worried about my milk supply - and the woman on the phone was so reassuring and kind, sometimes you just need that bit of extra support and understanding. Hmmmm, two days in bed, sounds great but what about everything else that needs doing?! You could at least use that suggestion as an excuse for a good lie in though...

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance about chomping hands and dribble chops! He's normally a very 'clean' child, but is now one of those with a permanently wet top. Slummy Mummy...image

Hector has been behaving oddly in the past week, being really demanding and wanting to be constantly on the move (hmmm, I wonder where he gets that from!) and always wants to be facing outwards. We were on the bus the other day and he didn't want to be in his buggy, so I took him out so he could see what was going on and he was cooing with joy, until the bus stopped and he got all grumpy again! Inquisitive little chap, he is.

Well, I'm back out running at last. We decided last night to go for a run this morning, take Hector in his buggy to the park and take it in turns to do a circuit (husband needs to get that belly under control!). Of course, it was absolutely p****ng it down this morning, but we went for it anyway. I'm so glad we did because I found it much easier than I'd anticipated and had to force myself to add in a walk break. Feeling so positive after getting out there again, but god my hamstrings feel tight!

Better go!

A xx

• Janie - here's a number for the Breastfeeding Network in case you need it at all. You get through to a trained counsellor in her own home - I phoned on a Sunday afternoon, so it's seven days.

0870 900 8787

• Hi all at work so this is a quick post..

Mrs O - My first suffered from constipation quite badly when he was younger, I found Prune Juice to be quite good, I used to buy Sunsweet.
    Mine were also heavy dribblers, I used to always put on a bib as part of their clothing otherwise I just had to keep changing their tops.

Minks - Sorry to hear about your car troubles, if you are going to be carless for a while you might want to try on-line grocery shopping even if it is only for the bulky items like pampers. I know on-line shopping is not for everyone but for me it's been fantastic.
    Enjoy the rest of your time off with Kit.

• Ap - it may well be teeth coming after all, my friend suggested my 2 were teething yesturday and when i checked M has a bit of tooth poking through - I hadnt even considered it as thought they were too young but apparently not!  Well done on the running.

I too got back out running on saturday, found it hard and my legs were killing me yesturday but it felt good to be back out there!  Off to buggyfit now, will report back what its like!

Minks, sound like you are having a rough time of it - hope it all gets better soon.  I can vouch for online shopping, I use tesco and its really easy cos everything you have bought using a club card is saved so its doesnt take long.

• Oh and congrats cragchick.. impressive!

EF - very jealous sounds like Louise is doing great at night!  I still dream of a whole nights sleep!

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Brilliant, Cragchick - you are an inspiration!  Feel a bit pathetic for having wimped out of my planned 9-mile run yesterday now, but just couldn't summon up the motivation as was feeling cold-y and tired.  Went to bed at 10:00pm but was then awake from 1:30am-4:00am, no idea why but often find at the start of a cold that I keep needing the loo so was up and down all night.  Each time I went hardly anything came out - was like being pregnant again (which I'm not, I hasten to add!)  I did get out for a short run, only three miles but DVD needed returning to DVD rental shop so I ran there and back since we can't use the car.

Made up a job lot of Annabel Karmel's chicken casserole this morning, and Kit had his first portion for lunch.  It was a battle - took 45 minutes to get him to eat it with LOTS of praise, cajoling and encouragement.  I guess we may have expected a bit too much as it was a completely new experience for him, with unfamiliar taste and texture.  The first couple of mouthfuls made him turn his nose up and look fairly unimpressed.  Then he started to bawl and refused to have any more.  We just ignored him until he calmed down (cruel parents) and then persevered.  We had to keep scraping up what he spat out and putting it back in his mouth, but by the end he was actually opening his mouth voluntarily and allowing us to spoon it in, and chewing reasonably well.  Have made up about 6 portions so hopefully by the end of the week he'll be eating it happily!  If it were down to me I would probably have given in and made him something else but hubby insisted that it's important that he knows we're in charge, not him, and that if he refuses his food he's not going to get something else he likes better instead.  I guess that makes sense.  [Note to self - must harden up!]

Hubby off work today as waiting for garage to collect car for insurance assessment - yippee.  Have a nasty feeling it's going to take ages before we get it back again.  Might actually think about ordering food shopping online in its absence, although it seems shameful when Sainsbury's is less than a 5-minute walk away.

Think I'm going to dose myself up with Night Nurse tonight and cross my fingers for a good night's sleep.  It's always the way that when you need to sleep well, you don't. 

• hope you feel better soon minks

Buggyfit was good, walking including some of uphill interspersed with resistance work using a band, step, core work, and lots of lunges! Definateley felt like I had a workout and was nice to be in the fresh air.    The girls seemed to like it too!

• Minks, I must have skimmed over the bit about accident,what a mare.  Online shopping is definitely the way to go even if it is close by.  Five minutes with a zillion bags and a baby might as well be 50 minutes!
  • And its actually more eco friendly to get it delivered than use the car..... thats what I tell myself anyway!