Going from a half to a full marathon...how easy is it?

Hello peeps!  I am still quite a running newbie really, have been training for a half marathon for the last 11 weeks or so.  Went from not being able to run to the end of the road, to having run a few 10ks and am ready for my first half in Cardiff in 2 weeks or so.  Longest run so far is 11 miles and was really happy with that, no worries about completing the half now as felt fine at the end!  Have signed up to run Bath half in March next year as have seriously got the running bug!  Just been checking out new races and have noticed there is a full marathon at the end of April next year in Stratford.  I would sooo love to run it!  Was thinking I have a good few months before April (dunno how my body would feel after Bath but would have 6 weeks or so to recover ready for it!).  Just wondered if there was any one out there who has gone from a half to a full...how long did it take training wise?  And what kind of training schedule were you using?  Any help would be really great - ta!

Comments

• You can definitely do it.    The rest does partly depend on what your current fitness is and what your ambitions for the marathon are. 

• you will be able to do it as long as you have total belief in yourself.

but you must take it steady by just adding a mile or two to your weekly long slow run.

Don't doubt yourself and you can conquer the distance.

Be sure to rest after each long run and if you could do some cross training like swimming or cycling that would be a great help.

The main thing to remember is you can do whatever you put your mind to! Its the thoughts that count so try to think positive and let nothing stop you.

when you have your first marathon under your belt you will know this and it will make you ready to do whatever you wish.

Enjoy your running.

• yuo can do it

well, I did a marqa befiore a half

but it-it isnt easy

• DK,

The fairly standard advice is to have 12 months' training under your belt before attempting a marathon.  You'll be close to that so should be ok.  Find a schedule on the training tab, err on the side of caution and I'm sure it'll come together fine. 

In terms of racing, if you really want to peak for Stratford I wouldn't stress about Bath too much - treat it as a slightly fast training run rather than a flat-out race.  Main reason for this is that (as a rule of thumb - not everyone would agree) it can take up to 2 weeks to recover from a flat-out half and, when training for a full, you can't really afford to miss 2 weeks of training, especially 6 weeks out, because then you'd have only one week back in training before a three week taper.

Good luck at Cardiff.

• There is a huge and real difference between a 1/2 and full marathon in every aspect I can think of. Training, racing, recovery etc. But you sound motivated and have structured your training so far with the expertise often missing from those of us who claim to be 'experienced runers'.     I think you'll do well and should go for itimage

• I'll tell you in 4 weeks when I go from half to fullimage
  • My first and only race was a marathon, on four and a half months training (plus 6 months hap hazard mileage building, didn't ever get any where near to half marathon level) and straight after a knee injury. Followed Hal Higdons novice training schedule, and despite fearing longer runs, the marathon WAS easy, honestly. Just don't set any time goals, enoy it, and it'll will be fine.
  • You guys are the best! Thanks so much for all your encouragement!  Feeling more determined than ever now...but equally scared!!! image Will take more of a look into things later!  I hate this work malarky!  But the boss is away today so that's a bonus!

• The days when the boss is away are always the best! lol

The distance will scare you (untill you've done it), but if you can build up to 11miles and feel fine, building up to 20 will be a doddle. For me getting up to 5 or so miles were the hardest ones in the first few months. Have fun! 

• Difficult but not impossible. 

Building up from 13-17 was the hardest for me.

Good luck image 

• Half to a marathon isn't as tough as it's made out to be.  If you're just looking to finish, it'll be a breeze.  If you want to get a good time then it'll be tough (same as any race where you want a good time).

Finish your half, get fat for a few weeks then start slow training again, get fat for a few more weeks again over xmas then start training in January.  The hardest part of a maraton is the eating and nutrition side of things - it's very tough to ensure you are properly fed for running for 3-4 months non-stop..

• Thanks for all your advice everyone!  Scream  (and everyone else!)...what's your thoughts on nutrition...is it really important?  Ever since I started the running, I have found that I am starving all the time!  I try and eat good but am failing miserably!  I am lucky I have put on that much weight really...cause I have been eating like a hungry shrek!  I really need to sort it out!  I know that if I can, I can help my body get a lot better and make it well prepared for the running?
  • I have the Reading 1/2 for the last two years on very little training(6 weeks), decided today to train properly for next year so went running tonight! only managed 3 miles but encouraging as haven't ran since May! I am also planning on stepping up next year to do the FLM! I know I will have to be more committed to trainning for this but I found the 1/2 quite easy really. Good luck in Cardiff Doner_Kebab, If you've been training 11 weeks it should be a breeze!
  • Thanks Nathan...well done on your run tonight...it's amazing how fast you can progress with thr running when you put your mind to it!  Mad to think 11 weeks or so ago I was like run fat boy (in my case girl!) run!  Couldn't even get to the end of the road!  TRying to decide what to do...a few people have said I should opt for one a little later in the year, when the weather is better and will allow me slighly longer to train.  Noticed that Salisbury are doing a full one this weekend, so hopefully this is an annual thing as could always sign up for that...would give me nearly a years worth of training!image
  • There are loads of marathons out there, probably best to pick a nice flat one. I  have always told myself I would run a marathon before I was 25, Missed that goal though! only 26 so not far from that goal! Have you got any time in mind Donner_Kebab? I know most people say just go out and enjoy it but I can't do that i'm too competitive!

• I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway! 
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega hard
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega hard to
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega hard to get
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega hard to get a
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega hard to get a place
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega hard to get a place on?
  • I'm the same Nathan!  Well said I would love to run one before the age of 30 and I am 27 so still have plenty of time left!  The fact I can run at all (looking back to how I was 11 weeks ago!) is a miracle!  Really not to sure of times...I seem to be stuck at a 10 minute mile pace but seem to have sped things up a little when doing my 10k runs...I too am very competitive!  Have the half very soon and everyone is asking about times!  Would love to run that in under 2 hours 15 as this would mean still doing the average 10 min mile pace but can hopefully speed that up a little on race day!  Suppose that would mean about 4 1/2 hours for the full marathon...blimey that sounds well scary when I type that and read it back to myself!!!  But with near on a years worth of training, I reckon I could shave a bit iff of that time...image Hope so anyway!  Is the FLM mega hard to get a place on? 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Donner_Kebab - the most important part of full mara training is the long run. You'll need to build up to 20-22 miles, doing ideally about six of these before race day but certainly at least 2.  And the last one no nearer than two weeks before race day.

Enjoy Cardiff. It's a bit of a congested course. Not sure if I'm doing it yet, but perhaps entries are closed now.  Shakespeare marathon would be a good first one. A scenic and varied course.  Not too hilly. It does have a long (? 5 miles), straight, mentally-demanding section on the second lap up a dismantled railway track, now covered in white cinders.  It's a bit of a heat trap and it always seems to be hot on Shakespeare marathon day.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    With FLM it's about 20% chance of getting in any one year through the ballot. But you could get a charity place.