Mums Running Club

Comments

• MR, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Have had about 4 terrible days with JP, and got to the end of my tether today! Had to get Ben to come home from work because I just didn't think I could cope anymore. Basically I have been b/feeding exclusively and enjoying it when it was going well, but just recently JP has wanted to feed constantly and won't settle at all (has only had about 6 hours sleep in the last 24!). Have given him a formula supplement tonight and he is a bit better, but not much. Going to try some GF tomorrow and see how I go! Fingers crossed. xx

• JT, I envy you the day sleeps!!  I have to run about like a mad woman trying to put washes on and tidy up in half an hour. Fortunately Lou can keep herself entertained pretty well on her gym so I can put her on that whilst I get some food for myself.

good luck TB!

• Tatty are you around the 6 week growth spurt time? They have a growth spurt roughly every 3 weeks for the first few months, and the 6 week one is hell. This is the only time I felt I couldn't cope with the twins and unfortunately the one time hubbie was away on business!! We had feeding all day and all night for about 48 hours, and I cried for most of this time too!!!, and resorted to a bedtime bottle shortly after this! If you can get through it it will settle down again, its the babies' way of increasing your milk.

Also read 'useful' where I wrote 'useless' in my last post!!!! I used gina as none of the other books had a twin routine, and I needed  a pretty rigid routine with two babies! I'm that sort of person I have to say, I like to know whats coming next. I also like to have proper running schedules so guess its all tied in with my personality, hubbie is pretty similar. We used to wake our two for the dream feed around 10.30pm, which I used to express for and go to bed early, then we used to wait until they woke for the middle of the night feed. If one woke I used to wake the other though. They would generally last from then until 7am, except sometimes we used to get a 5am wake up call for a feed, I used to then just give them a small feed and top up at 7am to keep them on schedule.

Have entered two more halfs before xmas in the hope I'll be OK for one of these. HV told me yesterday that babies are ill non stop when they first start childcare. Great!!! Still coughing my guts up so was sensible not to race!!!

• mm - re: colds - jacob (and consequently hubbie and i) had colds non-stop from when he started at nursery (dec last year) until march.  this summer, i've also had 2 lots of tonsillitis and have now had a cold, tongue ulcers and cold sores for 3 weeks.  hubbie also has them as does my mum as she visited last week!  i asked the doctor recently why i was ill so much, and she told me to blame jacob!  the funny thing is that, although he does get sniffles, he's nowhere near as ill as us.

janie tri - i remember those monumental breastmilk poos.  jacob used to wait until hubbie came home from work and would do one while sitting on his lap.  inevitably, it would escape and run down hubbie's leg! tee hee!

jacob had a little bit of left-over biryani for tea on sunday (first curry he has had), so we had the most enormous nappy yesterday.  he insists on playing with his willy while you change him, so i had a right old battle on my hands, trying to keep his hands off his willy (which was covered in poo), his feet out of his nappy etc etc.  no more biryani for him for a while!

• Our two had curry last week, and no monumental difference in nappies. My two are pretty disgusting at the best of times as they eat so much fruit and veg I think. They were exposed to a lot of curry when in the womb ((my one craving!!!) and while I was breast feeding so I wonder whether they are used to it. It was a thai style curry but we use korma paste instead of thai paste, but we did add a small amount of extra chilli. They loved it. Means we really can start giving them what we eat, makes life so much easier.

You have made me really worried now CM about getting ill. My next half is in 3 weeks, and then about 5 weeks till the one after that. Maybe attempting a marathon is a bad idea!

• You can tell am pinned to a desk today ;o) Lots of posts!

We tried desperately with a dummy after saying we weren't going to have them, my two just spat them out. However they are both avid thumb suckers, you can actually hear J over the baby monitor sucking away! Another problem to deal with no doubt later on, but not going to worry about it for now.

Had them weighed yesterday and talking about growth spurts, J has jumped from the 25th to the 50th centile and weighs a monster 22lbs, H has gone from 2nd to just above 9th at 20lbs. Wow!

• warning: 'poo' post, so don't read if eating! 

MM - i'm glad you said that about nappies.  jacob eats SO much fruit that his dirty nappies are always foul and usually pretty expansive.  (the curry one was just enormous though.  the biggest i have ever seen!)

because we use washable nappies, you end up with it everywhere trying to remove as much of it as possible by flushing it down the loo.  and our upstairs loo has a saniflow on it so we can't flush even flushable liners down it because it blocks.  so i have to walk downstairs to the downstairs loo with the 'parcel' wrapped up in one hand and jacob on the other hip - trying to keep the two apart!

anyway, nursery were getting me a bit worried because they were writing on his report that his nappies were 'loose'.  i was actually considering what else i could give him to eat after his main course that wasn't fruit.  i never cook him puddings and he isn't vastly keen on things like yoghurt and rice pudding anyway.  so he always has about 3 bits of fruit after every meal (grapes / berries / pears etc) and he absolutely loves it.

i was worried that maybe things were going through him too quickly and that it might be irritating his stomach - not that he shows any signs of it.  but you saying that about your two makes me less worried!

• MM - that's great news on the growth spurts!

(I too am 'working' today, hence all the posts!)

Don't worry about the colds - we actually went through a fairly good period between March and September (with the exception of my tonsillitis), so I think after the first 3 or 4 months at nursery they do settle down.

Minks - re: milk feeds.  I think it's entirely normal for babies to drop off their milk feeds when they are established on solids.  When are you giving him milk?  Jacob was a very reluctant solids eater, so we didn't have that problem, but at 7 / 8 months, he was having a morning milk feed after he got up, then sometimes he would have milk after his lunch at 11.30 (if he hadn't eaten much lunch - but mostly he went without then); then he had a mid-afternoon bottle, but often didn't want much of that; and then another feed before he went to bed.  If Kit doesn't seem to want the milk, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as he's not dehydrated and is eating OK...

Jacob was also an incredibly sucky baby.  When we go away, I can't stay in the same room as him because he sucks his thumb ALL night and makes 'goyagoyagoya' noises all night long.  He has big splits on his thumbs from all the sucking (prefers his left thumb but the right thumb will also do).  He also won't drink milk from anything other than a bottle.  If I stop giving him a bottle, he stops drinking altogether.  Normally he drinks water / juice from a beaker or tumbler during the day and just has a morning and night-time bottle of milk, but if I give him milk in a beaker in the morning or at night, he doesn't drink that or anything else all day.  We went 10 days without him drinking anything in the attempt to wean him off the bottle.  In the end he was dehydrated and I was desperate, so he's back on the bottle again.  The HV said not too worry too much because he is only having the bottle twice a day and downs the milk in about 3 minutes flat.  Apparently, the problem is worse when the child has the bottle all day and sucks on it constantly.    We will have to wean him off it eventually but the HV is confident that he will either do that himself when he is ready or we will be able to bribe him when he's a bit older by letting him choose himself a nice new mug to drink his milk from.

• Minks my Harry is a reluctant milk drinker. We are switching to cows milk next week so maybe he will drink better then. he has 4-5 oz at breakfast followed by cows milk on his cereal, about 2oz in the afternoon or 3 if we're lucky, then 5-7 before bed. J has about 3oz more a day. They both love cheese and yoghurts though, rice pudding and anything milky, maybe why I craved cheese when pregnant! CM my two do love yoghurts but tend to snack on fruit and dried fruit and have loads of finger vegs with lunch and tea.

We use the anyway up cups for their milk to avoid spillage on new carpets, and for water when out and about. I have other cups for water at home. We dropped their bedtime bottle this week and it seems to be OK, bit worried H is drinking less, but not too much less.

• MM - we have tried every type of beaker under the sun.  it makes no difference.  J won't touch milk if it's not in a bottle.  he'll suck from the beaker but when he realises it's milk, he spits it out and yells.  he then throws the beaker away and that's it - until you put it in a bottle...

I wouldn't actually mind too much if he didn't drink much or any milk (he does eat cheese and will eat yoghurt - reluctantly) as long as he drank something.  But once we stop giving him milk in a bottle, he goes on strike and won't drink anything at all from a beaker.  We were having to spoon liquid into him last time and even then he was yelling and screaming.  So we are just sticking with the two bottles a day for the time being.

Babies are very strange beings! You wouldn't think they could be so manipulative!

• They know exactly what is going on CM, and understand much more than we think. My two now understand things like 'Bath time lets go and climb the stairs', I open the door to the hallway and they re off like a shot, amazes me!
  • Oh, they do, you are so right!  Jacob has started pulling his highchair out from where we store it when he's hungry.  He also opens cupboards and shouts loudly if pulling the highchair out hasn't got me to spring into action!

He also does the same thing with bathtime and heads out to the bathroom when I say 'time for a bath' - and gets impatient when I want to undress him before he gets into the bath!

He also recognises where we are when we get close to places.  He got so excited yesterday when we pulled into the supermarket (he loves sitting in the Bob the Builder tractor ride - I never put any money in it, though, poor chap!) and when we pulled into the car park at the park yesterday - before he even saw the swings.  He knew where we were.  It's very rewarding when they are excited about being places and doing things!

One of Jacob's favourite things now is going to the local pub for a Sunday roast.  He loves roasts - he's a right carnivore, and because we do our swimming session mid-morning on a Sunday, dropping into the local for lunch at midday is a nice thing to do because it means we can all eat together at lunchtime (I wouldn't have time to prepare it otherwise).  And the owners  know that they need to get his food out quickly because he won't wait.  He knows where the door to the kitchens is and starts banging on it straight away as soon as we go in there.

• Much better day today!!! I think it was a growth spurt. Last night Ben ordered me to go to bed on my own and get some proper sleep while he took JP to the spare room and gave him some formula if he was hungry. I got up in the night to express so my supply didn't drop, and today I've had more than enough milk and JP has been like a different baby! We also think he might have a touch of colic, as he would not stop crying no matter what we did and kept pulling his knees up to his chest and generally thrashing around (!). So Infacol has been my best friend today!

Have managed to do the GF routine with some modifications today - i.e. I am a lazy bogle, so it's been 8 til 8 instead of 7 til 7!! Now I've caught up on sleep a bit I'll try to do it 7 til 7 tomorrow.

Baby curry poo - funny!

• Hi all, I've finally made it to this forum! How long did that take me??? Too long!
    Nearly as long as its taking for me to get back out there and run!
    Have only been out twice since the birth of Winnie, and I've actually put weight ON since having her! ; ( not good!

anyway, enough of that - I should be saying a big hello to all those icons (and people behind those icons) that I recognise!

Hope you and all the bubs are doing well...

and on that note, I'm going to bed and I'll log on again tomorrow!

Nighty night

xxx
  • Quick hello from me too - just popped in as I've been without internet for a fortnight - eek!- and have just got it back again tonight so am trying to catch up - looks like the thread has been busy though, so I'll try and read back tomorrow.  Hope all's well with everyone and lovely to see a few more graduates of the pregnant runners' thread.

sb x 

• Hi girls

Hope you don't mind me popping in again. I have less than 4 weeks to go until my due date and am really looking forward to joining you all...image

I know so much depends on the birth but how realistic is it do you think to be running again by Christmas? Due date 13/11/07.What have you gals found?

I keep driving past happy runners trotting in the Autumn leaves imageand just feel so keen to be one of them again. Any encouraging words most welcome as it just seems a lifetime away...

x

• Sequin - welcome!

It does depend on what kind of birth you have, although even if you have a csection, if you feel physically well and are recovering well, you could still be out for a wee trot before Xmas. 

I had a normal delivery (very quick, no complications) and went for my first run 10 days after having my baby. 

But in hindsight that was too early for me, as I was absolutely exhausted and really struggling with breastfeeding, so it was a bit mad to try and start running again so quickly.

But if you are well and baby is well and you feel up to it, I'd say there's no reason not to try a short plod as soon as you want to.  Bear in mind, though, that your ligaments will still be all stretchy and you will need to take it very easy...

• Thanks Caramel - think I owe you a big thank-you as I believe you set up the pregnant running forum? Am I right? What a great idea.

This is baby number three for me so hoping for the same kind of labour as I had with number two...

Thanks for offering me hope.

• Sequin - hi! As you know I had a 3rd c-section with Eddie 9 weeks ago - I started run-walking after 4 weeks, then gentle running at 6 weeks - now up to 10-12 miles a week over 3 runs. Not fast but enjoyable!  I tried to stick to te same rules as when I was pregnant - eg listen to your body, don't get dehydrated (v. important if breastfeeding), don't run if really tired etc.  So I think Christmas is realistic if everything goes well with the birth. I had major running envy at the end too - and I'm really enjoying my runs now, especially getting out in the country.

Good luck for the next few weeks (I'm really enjoying having 3 - it's great so far!)

sb x

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Phew!  Just caught up!

Am quite glad now that we haven't had to put Kit into nursery as with only working 3 days a week I don't want to be off sick all the time!  Had to laugh at the pooey nappy stories!  Kit has had a few 'explosions' in his time too.  When he first started on solids his nappies were a nightmare - very frequent and very loose - and we had quite a few 'accidents', usually in the least convenient of locations!  I did get a bit worried at one point about the sheer number of nappies he was producing - I think the worst was 8 in a day - but it seems to have settled down now that he's established on solids and although on some days he still does quite a few, the consistency is more paste-like and tends to stay inside the nappy rather than dribbling out of the sides and down his legs!!

MM, I had to smile reading your post as you're exactly the same as me with routines and schedules!  I love having a schedule for my running and find myself getting quite unfocused if I don't.  Hubby's the same as well so fortunately we were both agreed from the start on the need to get Kit into some semblance of a routine as soon as possible.  Like you, we didn't wake him for the middle-of-the-night feed but allowed him to wake of his own accord.  Once he went to about 5:30/6:00am we dropped that feed - initially I think we gave him a small feed then topped him up at about 7am to keep on schedule with the routine.

He has been a bit better with his milk feeds since yesterday, and his three top teeth are fully through the gum now so maybe he feels a bit more comfortable.  CM, he has three milk feeds a day - one at 7am, one at 2:30pm and one at 5:45pm.  That's the only part of the GF feeding routines I haven't followed religiously - GF tells you to give the evening solids at 5pm and then the milk feed at 6:30pm after the baby's bath.  We have always found that Kit struggles with his milk after his bath as he's too tired to drink it (this was the case even before weaning).  Before weaning I used to give him half his evening bottle at 5pm and then try to get him to take the other half after his bath.  Now I give him his evening bottle at 5:30-5:45pm while he's still awake and hungry, then follow it 15 minutes later with his solids, then wait 20 minutes and bath him.  This seems to work OK at the moment but not sure how it will pan out when he's taking more solids.

How have you all started your little ones on finger food?  I prepared some carrot sticks yesterday, lightly cooked so they were soft but still with a little crunch.  Kit took a small bite then screwed his face up and wouldn't have any more.  I ate one as well and have to say if I were him, it wouldn't have encouraged me to eat either!  Tried doing the same with banana last night but it was too slippery for him to hold and kept shooting out of his fingers, poor little chap.  I want something that he likes so he's encouraged to eat, but also don't want to be offering him (say) one small slice of a piece of fruit because that means the rest will get wasted.  But also don't want him having sugary rusks or similar.

He's now able to sit unsupported which is great.  He's still slightly unsteady so at the moment I sit behind him in case he topples backwards.  Yesterday he was happily playing with his stacking cups, but every so often he would reach behind him and touch my knee, as if reassuring himself that I was still there.  And he would once in a while lean right back on to my lap and grin up at me.  So cute!

• hi all,
    just been reading your post minks, it seems that, just as you get used to your bubs and the routine, you have to change to think about solids etc! All this fun to come!
    How old is your little one now, I remember when you were still posting on the other forum before you had him! Its seems such a long time ago! He must be about 5 months now???
    Also when did your little man start teething? As I think winnie may have one on the way.

I managed to get out for a run this morning, did 4 miles, and it was hard. Also ran Sunday - and couldn't walk in the afternoon, I'm hoping today will be better!

Right, I'm off as I need to cut the grass. Going to get Winnie wrapped up in her pram and out in the garden with me - i'm sure she will love watching mummy cut the grass!

Have a great day ladies - its wonferful out there!

x
  • sequin - i can't take credit for the pregnant runners' forum, unfortunately.  that was americano who set it up, but we haven't heard from her for ages. 

minks - re: finger foods, i agree totally with the carrot stick thing.  i used to try carrot sticks and baby sweetcorn with jacob but he never ate them. have you tried rice cakes? you can get baby ones which have nothing in them but rice.  they also taste fairly grim, but jacob used to eat them. try ripe pear as soon as you can as i think you said kit liked pureed pear.  you should still peel it for him.  i guess it's probably a bit slippery as well, but he will manage eventually.

once he has a pincer grip, he will love picking up things like peas and raisins.  that should be quite soon.

you can get no sugar biscuits made by hipps and organix, but if you think kit is sensitive to gluten (didn't you say he had a bad nappy after oat cereal), it's best to avoid that.

he might manage strawberries / raspberries / blueberries (expensive but jacob LOVES them) but just watch the nappies.  they are also quite tempting for the babies to squish in their fingers, so it can be rather messy.  also satsuma segments well de-pithed etc.

also, don't give up on something just because he won't eat it initially. jacob refused cheese for ages but now suddenly will eat all cheese, including really strong stuff.  so do keep trying with the carrot. 

kit will get onto finger foods soon enough and will then stop letting you feed him with a spoon, which can be really frustrating when you have cooked a lovely risotto for him and he insists on trying to feed it to himself wit his fingers - and it ends up EVERYWHERE but in his mouth!

re: milk feeds - you may have to re-time the pm milk feed once you start giving kit more tea.  or you may find that as he gets bigger, he isn't quite as tired so can manage milk after bath.  otherwise you may find that you can get him to drink his milk with his tea in a beaker (quite a few of my friends do that, but jacob won't drink milk from a beaker so no good for us).

• JT - the nighttime waking is a nightmare, but it could just be a 'phase'.  jacob was doing really well at around 12 weeks and had several nights of going through without a feed and then suddenly was feeding every 2 hours again for a while.  and then from 13 weeks or so, he slept through and hasn't fed in the night since.  it could be a growth spurt?  but it could also be that he needs a bit more space and would be better in the cot.  i have to say, jacob was in his cot in his own room from 8 weeks because he was SOOOO noisy.  he would suck his fist all night and groan and strain (i think it was colic), so even though i was getting up when he woke to feed him, at least i stood a slight chance of some sleep if he wasn't right next to me.

the dummy thing is a right bind as well.  i didn't have that because jacob sucked his fist (and now his thumbs), so i don't have any suggestions for you...

• Hi all,
    janie thank you!
    I appreciate the welcome hugely - I think I feel abit low lately.
    So thnk you very much for cheering me up. ; D

This talk of weaning is quite scary! I'm just getting to grips with the feeding, and before you know it it'll be different again!

Janie, my friends baby also started waking in the night, not sure what it was - he was a baby, so I think they either started him on solids early, or up't his feeds. I'll ask her and see.

Dont have any suggestions re dummy. Winnie has a dummy, but she doesn't seem to need it all the time. She also sucks her thumb as decaff said her son did. So that prob makes a difference.

• Wow, it's busy on here today! And yet more familiar faces too - hello Sequin, SB and Mitts! Sequin - can't believe your due date is coming around so soon! You were about 17 weeks gone when I joined the pregnancy forum, which seems like 5 minutes ago. How time flies...

Another really good day. I could kiss GF. I actually have time to come on here in peace, sit and eat dinner with Ben, get the house looking halfway decent AND do a teeny walk/run! I only did a mile, but it felt really good and I was quite surprised how fit I felt. Going to build up VERY slowly though and not push it too hard too soon!

• Evening all

Well, Megan is 2 weeks old today and its been both the quickest but yet the longest 2 weeks of our lives (if that makes sense).

Tatty Bogle - like you we are trying GF but also on the 8am to 8pm (Megan just isn't in tune enough to do 7am to 7pm at the moment and we are too lazy to think about getting up at 7am anyway so we figured what the hell if we're an hour out, the routines are the same).

However, having had a decent enough day with Megan she has just grizzled since going down at 7.30pm tonight, have no idea why! DH is currently trying to appease her and we've both had cold dinners and are now about to have cold pudding, ph the joys of parenthood! I'm thinking of going to formula at either 4 or 6 weeks (I don't think I will be able to stand breast feeding past that) and wondered if it will be easier to do so if we are giving Megan formula at her 10.30pm feed each night anyway - GF recommends a bottle feed (either EBM or formula) and I just wondered if there was any point using EBM for this bottle feed if we plan to go formula in a few weeks anyway.