Waterproof jackets?

I need to get a waterproof jacket for running in, so it needs to be light and breathable (and I'm on something of a budget). Looking at the Lowe Adrenaline. I can't really afford the expensive Berghaus paclite type stuff, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Other than not running when it rains.

Comments

• I’ve just been to Dixon’s Sport and bought a View From waterproof running top for £30 off only £50. This is due to the new ones coming out (different yellow).

So if you go looking now while the shops are getting new the new ranges in, you could find a bargain

Will
  • I use a Sprayway jacket - costs £35-£40 depending on where you buy it from. It's not waterproof, but showerproof and mainly windproof.
  • I've got a nice Ron Hill luminous jacket, its ripstop and vented around the back, i think its really for mountain bikers but it more than does the trick
  • I just ordered a Nike jacket from Runner's Need - only 21 pounds on sale! Perhaps they have some sale items for men too that would be suitable?
  • There's no such thing as a waterproof jacket. All you need is something light and windproof for even the worst of winter.
  • Thanks for the advice. The problem (which I should probably have mentioned) is that I want one that is suitable for mountain marathons, KIMM, LAMM etc. I haven't done one yet, but want to do some next year. Generally you need a waterproof to satisfy the kit list requirements, and even if they are flexible, if I'm going to be running round a mountain, I'm really going to have to have something which will keep me bone dry if necessary. State of my navigation, that's a distinct possibility!
  • Greg - only thing is if you run you'll just sweat up from the inside - even the most breathable jackets won't be able to cope with high amounts of sweat produced through exercise. Or is that just me ?
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    I have a Concurve Goretex jacket which is the most waterproof jacket I've had, and a good fit, but like cougie's jacket, its not very pleasant to run in. I usually only wear a vest underneath, even in the freezing cold weather, because the jacket makes me very hot and horribly sweaty.

I think you have to make a compromise between how breathable you want the jacket to be and how waterproof it should be, because you can't have both.
  • Greg,

I have an Adrenaline jacket, which I've used on the LAMM and for numerous other hill sessions / days. It's a great jacket, very breathable, totally waterproof, with a good adjustable hood. It stood up very well to the pretty poor weather on this year's LAMM.

I would agree with Cougie that if you're running in your jacket, it's pretty unlikely that it's going to cope with the amount of sweat you'll produce. This is particularly true when you consider that a sizeable area of the jacket won't be breathable if you're wearing a sac.

That said, you HAVE to have a jacket for events like the LAMM and it HAS to be breathable, so I'd strongly recommend the Adrenaline. If you want to save a few quid, think about the Adrenaline pullover, rather than the jacket. It's very popular for the LAMM, KIMM, etc.

You sometimes get discounts as a LAMM / KIMM competitor. You can try www.compasspoint-online.co.uk which has a LAMM shop. Happy shopping.
  • thanks for the advice, think I'll go with the Adrenaline. I can get a student discount at YHA, Blacks etc. so hunting around for deals isn't such a problem.
  • I'm looking to buy a jacket online for my wife and myself. Lightweight and showerproof would be ideal and ideally with a hood. Moderate to low budget!! Any suggestions?
  • Gore Tex Pac-Lite seems to be very popular nowadays. I have a Nike Storm fit jacket that does the trick. You can pick em up for about £100 I think.

Also look at the shop ad's in RW, I saw some cheap Concurve jackets not so long ago and they're great... Even the Windstopper ones keep a helluva lot of water out.

Happy shopping!
  • Hi

If you follow this thread down to the end and are looking for an answer as to what to wear for the KIMM, get a v.light waterproof, Lowe Alpine Rush is good value and then buy a pertex smock. Chances are you won't ever need the w'proof as it'll be too hot to run in and its there for when it gets really bad. The pertex wind top will keep the wind off and a light shower, but more importantly will keep you warm without being too warm. Rab and Montane both make pertex quantum tops, very light. Although the new Montane featherlite top does have some design features that I disslike, like a collar that hits you in the ear unless the zip is all the way up (when its windy)
  • I wouldn't bother with waterproof - you'll just get soaked from the inside.

I bought a shower proof jacket (for cycling) with pitzips from groundeffect.nz & I think it would do the job for running but I'd only don it in the cold. Ideally you want something that will hold off the rain for a bit - say 30mins to an hour but is thin so will dry out fast

Warm weather rain, I'd just as soon get wet
  • I would suggest checking out the Aldi running gear sales. I picked up the BEST running jacket that sheds the rain, is lightweight, breathes well, and is also good in the wind for a ridiculously cheap price compared to some of the big-brand products. It's also a bright but not offensive yellowish colour with reflective strips appropriate for these dark mornings and evenings.
  • Tim, must have been very very cold when your piccy was taken:-)
  • I've got a new Capestorm rain jacket. www.capestorm.co.za its great. very light, packs into its own pocket, and is water resistant and windproof. I bought it in S Africa, but you can order them from a retailer in London.

I also have a heavy duty Viga. This does not let any rain in, but unfortunately does not let much sweat out either, but the big negative is that it has an internal zipped pocket, and the zipper knackers up my expensive running shirts.
  • Hi, newish here...

I have gone for the £30 showerproof jackets you see; there are a number of times I have managed to get really wet only to be chilled by the wind as well. It can be unpleasant. I reckon you need to keep the wind out, rain on it's own is mostly fine. Though I swear by the Ron Hill DXB Tracksters as long as you keep 'em proofed !

Stripeyhorse
  • Aldi do windproof Gilets from time to time - not waterproof, but great for keeping the chill off.
  • Anyone done the Niagara Falls marathon? I have signed up for it as a way to celebrate(?) my entry into the Vet 50 category!!
  • this Adrenaline jacket - is it Lowe Alpine?
  • I'd agree with most of the other posters here that waterproof keeps the rain out and your sweat in!  OK for walking but no good for running. I'd go for a montaine windproof - it will keep a good amount of rain off and is very breathable.

No fabric can keep up with the amount of liquid I can expel!

The best waterproof/breathable fabric I've ever used is by Paramo but its too heavy to run with image

• yes I'm aware of the benefits of windjackets, I've got a montane myself

but for some mountain events - even mid-length fell runs at this time of year - 'full waterproof cover' can be stipulated as a race requirement and you're disqualified if found without

• the reasoning being I suppose that you might have to bail out or get injured halfway round and have a long trek in difficult conditions back to the start, when you'll no longer be producing the heat necessary to keep you warm ....
  • Well if it stipulated waterproof just buy the cheapest lightest waterproof you could find and only intend to use it in an emergency. Then just use a windproof for the rest of it.

Just cos they say you have to have one doesn't mean you have to wear it!

• yep m_r that looks like the done thing

• guys..have you ever done a mountain marathon? first day you are out for anywhere between 5 and 8 hours in inhospitable, often soaking wet and windy mountain territory. I did the Saunders at Helvellyn and it p1ssed it down the whole day and the whole night at the camp. I can tell you I was very happy I had my waterproof jacket and trousers. Some competitors took over 10 hours in the conditions and proper waterproofs are essential if you don't want to get hypothermia!!

• Montane Featherlite H2O should hit the spot! Ultra lightweight, the size of an apple folded. Very breathable and waterproof. Get trousers to match. Got my jacket for £35 at chain reaction cycles.

You wont be dissapointed.

Uzi.image

• UZI, yeah they aren't really waterproof - they won't pass fell-race or MM inspection anyway.