Running after Herniated Disc

Okay, this is going to be a bit complicated but here goes.

I've been a regulary recreational runner (topping out a 6.5-7 miles) a run at my most. I love running it's a great stress reliever for me.

This summer I found out I was pregnant, and I continued running at a moderate pace. Once I got sick (morning sickness) I couldn't do any exercise as I tried to make it through the day (4 wks long) After this, my diet had deteriated ("Your pregnant you can eat whatever you want. !?") and within a short period of time I had herniated a disc (or two)in my lower back and was unable to work for over a month without intense pain. I could do nothing but lay down and crawl. Even sleeping for me was horrible and I had to limit what medications I took because of the pregnancy.

Okay fast forward 5-6 weeks, I have not managed to work my way back up to working 8 hours a day. I am almost back to normal and I am itching to get back to training. My OBGYN told me running was fine during pregnancy since I had been doing it prior but now that I've had almost 2-3 months of inactivity I'm unclear if I can start running again.

Lucky for me I am still quite small and can wear almost all of my clothes still (17 wks). My Chiropractor told me ABSOLUTLEY no running for 1 month. (I have 3 wks left) I think maybe he assumes by this time I'll be big and won't have the desire to start my running up again.

I'm ready to atleast hit the gym with some light aeorbic exercise and light weight training. But I'm worried I'll injure myself again.

I need some advise for anyone that has gone through something like this. I do not want to continue to be inactive during this pregnancy and gain TONS of weight because I am being irresponsible. I'm doing the best I can, but I feel like it isn't enough.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm READY TO RUN, but can't. *sigh*

Comments

• I would say that if you haven't been able to run for the last 2 months then now is probably not the best time to start back at it - you will starting pretty much back at the beginning.  Your body will be going through huge changes due to the pregnancy and since you've had such awful back problems I would avoid any heavy impact activities like running.  But that doesn't mean you can't do anything at all.  Why not consider using the crosstrainer, you can mimic the action of running without any of the impact or maybe aqua jogging if you have access to a swimming pool.  Take care not to overheat when training in the gym (quite easily done if you are pregnant!) and build up your level of exercise slowly.  Of course discuss this with both chirporactor and obgyn - just to make sure there's no reason not to do this. Your muscles will be more flexible due to the hormone relaxin so take care not to overdo it when stretching etc.

Hope that's of some use.  I'm not medically qualified - just do PT and sports massage!