Sub 3

Comments

• Afternoon All,

I've been off the radar for a while - work etc.

Been doing around 50 miles per week for the last 7 weeks and planning to start building up to 90 pw for the FLM. I've set myself a target of under 2:50.

Pleased to see the usual suspects on the thread but can't find anything recent from Pug - is he still around.

JEJ - Did you move to the US - I thought you were going there for a while?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Njord
    Can’t see how two legged cycling makes one leg bigger than the other.

Try some one legged squats etc to isolate the weaker leg.
    I find that a varied routine of sports will balance up the body not make it worse.

Nice to see you NDO,
    Pug has a stress fracture and rarely posts nowadays.

Got the plumbing done way too quick so it just became an extended lunch, which is good but it’s now 2ish and I’ve done no sports all day. Feel like I’m about to blow up. No sign of any sports til after 5 ish either,

Grrrrrrrr
  • NDO - things changed (no bad thing) and I ended up booking my return flight just a few weeks later than my outbound.

Dana - I'd say 'no' to a 16M race 2 weeks out, but then I'm not an ultra runner.

Njord - not sure what they're called, but use a solid platform just above knee height.  Put one foot on higher surface, transfer weight to that leg and stand up slowly.  Then lower yourself slowly.  Repeat several times, then swap legs.  That seemed to work for me.

• JEJ - what about your return to marathon running, I notice you have been somewhat vague as to whether you will or whether you won't next year?

Feel a bit smug this afternoon as I have just received full marks for my A&P exam, celebrated with a 10 mile run, off road in the chilly but sunny weather. Lovely. Unlikely to get chance to do a really long one this weekend so I will settle for this afternoons effort and a 12 miler on Sunday.

Bottle of white in the fridge for later, even better.

Good running all.

• Sue C - I'm working towards the London marathon, but will make a final call after running a HM in March to determine whether the training has been sufficient to give me a realistic shot at running my desired time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done SueC

I'd rather have red myself.

Havn't had a snifter since Saturday myself - and that's eon's for me. So might blow the froth off a couple of cold ones or open a bottle of red myself.

Got to appease the OCD monster first though - one way or another !
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭

TR - clipless pedals allow my lead leg to do a little too much pushing and pulling.  I think at time my gammy leg just comes along for a ride.

JEJ - thanks for the tip.  Lowering down backwards off the platform, I'm guessing?  I've been doing something similar off a lower platform for calf strengthening.

• Njord - yes - I think...   the reverse way that you go up.  Very similar exercise to the one leg squats that TR mentioned, but uses a greater range of motion.  A certain runner from Wirral AC told me about that one several moons ago when I was starting out.

TR - bet you're new tap has been running more than you today - get out there!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    I agree JEJ, I was under pressure to get it fixed by 2pm as my wife had the hairdresser coming to wash and cut her barnet.
    Because I came to the work in the car (to be able to collect a new tap and nip home) and used my (extended) lunchtime to fit it, I’m still sportless.
    Itching to get sweating too !
    Looked up session times at the pool and its closed until 7pm for lessons – so I can’t leap straight in there at 5pm either.

I’ll have to dash home and Don the pumps quick – before I self-combust.

BTW - nice exercise !

The cyclist was only a teenager - he died, sadly. The car driver is under suspicion.
  • Njord, Take the penalties with the Yossi legimage

SueC, Well done! You deserve the wine, enjoy!

• TR, know how you feel.
    Done nothing aerobic for 2 days so went in the gym at lunch and took the last resort, the dreaded hand-bike!

• Congratulations, Sue.

I've not run yet, either. Just about to sneak out for a quick 5 or 6 miles before tonight's rehearsal. Would leave it to tomorrow but I'm getting a 7am flight to see my sister and nephew so have to be out of the house en route to the airport at Gobi o'clock... and at some point I must pack!!!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    WW
    I feel for you, being on the bench is carp.

But I’m happy to pedal, Pj and swim too. I don’t need to run every day. It’s just that I think I should run at least 5 times/week, or I’ll never go sub3.
    If I only bag a 30 min PJ workout today I’ll be happy, I’ve run 6 days in a row. And 2 weeks ago (before GSR) I couldn’t walk without limping.
    In 2 more weeks I’ll be in mustard shape.

Jools
    Enjoy yourself.
  • Stebbing 10 - unless the weather is crap, I'll be there, but just running as tempo due to proximity to HM - it's the last weekend that I'd otherwise be running alone for a while - it seems so much easier to run the faster stuff with company. 

See you there DullStet - are you going?

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭

12 day streak (and still going) for me, which is a record. I've also been having some HRM problems, sending my belt back to Timex for a replacement (4th this year) which then worked for all of 2.5 runs before dying! However, for those 2 runs it showed that I'm running 7:30 pace at below 75% of MHR, which is a solid improvement on a couple of months ago. Just ordered a Garmin 305 on Amazon for £130 in a fit of annoyance at my Timex.

Trying to avoid thinking about racing, having promised not to do any more in 2007, in favour of more family time at weekends. Otherwise the Stebbing 10 would sound good, I like the drive out to Great Dunmow as well - used to be a long cycle route of mine to go out that way for 30-50 miles or so.

And I've watched the Vero videos on Youtube and I think they're OK - and his body shape has certainly changed over the last year or so. I doubt he'll get that close to 2:25, but I'd watch the programme if it gets made.

• 18-miler done and dusted at a nice leisurely 7.45 pace over some hilly country. Still not exactly in love with that last half an hour, but now that it's all over and I'm pulling a cold one out of the fridge everything seems just fine...  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well played NST !
  • Typically, it took ages to get out of work.  The usual 'quick' phone calls...  Anyway, 5 miles done and dusted, which eases the conscience.  Unlikely to have internet access over the weekend so good racing to those who are racing (is anyone?) and good training to those who aren't.
  • Hail Hail indeed - any kids on the fred better choose their event for 2014!!!

SueC well done, nothing quite like celebrating good news with a run is there..

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

TR - bad news on the cyclist; will you have to appear as a witness if it goes to court - perhaps you should let the police know that you saw it happen.  Underlines why I'm reluctant to purchase a bike - just don't trust London motorists.

JeJ - I might be at Stebbing; done quite a hard week, so feeling a bit lethargic, but I'll go out for an easy 8 tomorrow, and if I feel OK I'll rock up.  Bit of a pain getting there from West London, but nothing else on this weekend, and could do with a bit of a healthy one.  Then again, there's a good chance that I CNBA if the weather is shite.

• TR, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this, but you are deffo due some injury-free training. I'm counting on you enjoying a pb fest over the next few months, it's just finding that happy medium between too much and not enough. Also fitting things round work and family.

MtR, The HR is so solid it's causing your monitor to malfunction! Careful, your gonna have to have them specially made, with reinforced receiver! Better luck with the Garmin. I have a 301, whilst the gps is not 100% I have had no problems with the HR monitor.

NtS, I'm in the fridge later but can't really say I've earned it.... image

Jools, Enjoy the trip, hope you get along with your sister better than I do with my brother!

DanA, Yes well remembered. Actually got the link to Bobby off this forum I believe. Did the trick for me, stopped me feeling sorry for myself.

On the thigh strain front, feeling a good deal better today. Had a trip to the gym at lunch and did 45 minutes "aerobic" exercise. Averaged 118 for the 45mins, thats less than 65%!!! But got a sweat on, with a mixture of bike, hand-bike and X-trainer. A couple more days may see me running again at this rate.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

46 today!

years.....not miles

10st 5lb

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    37 today :¬) live from Barcelona

DanA, I would say the 16 is fine depending how you run it. Ultra boys are made of sterner stuff.

TR, I'm still resting and eating :¬)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DanA
    It was too dark to see it in detail from where I was, but I heard it, and I did see another car which carried on - they may want to talk to that driver.

WW
    Thanks for that. Trouble is that I've probably missed my chance now, I'll be doing FLM training soon and will do the odd race, but PB chances may not be good until the summer now. Remind me to disposition the slow race times cos of the FLM training. Still, bigger picture and all that.
    Stick with the gyming - remind yourself that its a means to an end. Like I said I'm happy to get my exercise kicks in many forms, but I don't belong to a gym and never use them, so I guess I don't know how boring they could be. But if I had some dosh I'd defo buy a concept 2 rower.

Consolidated my 6 consecutive days with a PJ cct, didn't get the opportunity til 7 ish, cos of family stuff and an extended working day.
    I don't usually get paid for working weekends (so do them rarely), but I will until Christmas as part of a big push. So "WE" have decided that I should do it, and so I don't miss my run I'm running to work (5 miles e/way minimum) and back at 6:30 ish, which gives me my first ever double, and if I had run tonight it would have been 3 runs in well under 24 hours. That used to be a weeks training - on a good week ! So I gave my calf the night off. The PJs will help strengthen it up anyway.

I'm off for a beerio !
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wow, happy b'days then. NS2 - have a snifter, Gobi - have a fruit juice, and enjoy your well earned rest.

BTW DanA - any decision on Gosport yet ?
  • TT, gatorade The reduced mileage is being monitored. Weight piling on, but with less mileage feeling remarkably light on my feet.

Looking forward to seeing who ever turns up at Stebbing. Look out for a porky dwarf with a yellow vest who ever turns up. JEJ & Dan know what I look like. Still fancy my chances for a PB, as I have actually tapered for this one.

Off to check out a post race pub for a quiet family lunch after the race. Will rescue the "Good Pub Guide" from the car to check out venues.

Happy birthday to the youngsters out there. I just about remember when I was young.

Dull
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Dull,

I'm caching you up you ol' man!

TR,

4 fosters and 2 glasses of red have gone down a treat

GOBI,

Enjoy

• N2

Happy birthday you youngster *(only by 3 months, mind) I hate it when the only excuse that I've got is that the other guy is better than me.

A quiet week for me, with various excuses. The bonus being that I don't care as I'm racing tomorrow. Cheddar HM, one that I've been looking forward to doing for absolutely years now. The first attempts it was booked up before I was aware, then last year I got in early, but had to chuck the place because of my kidlet's school entrance exams. Finally I intend to hit the start line. I know that it's quite flat, I know that it attracts the cream of the area. Best of all, I think that I'm close to being on form. Let's see how it compares to my Bath form from March.

PB is 1:23:44.

Magic target is 1:23:00.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Premier League

01 2007 Sep 2:29:19 Berlin Padams

Championship

01 2007 Oct 2:39:?? Amsterdam Gatorade
    02 2007 Sep 2:41:45 Berlin CRAB
    03 2007 May 2:44:51 Edinburgh Running Bhoy

League One

01 2007 Apr 2:47:36 London Coronium
    02 2007 Sep 2:49:27 Amsterdam Coldfeet
    03 2007 Apr 2:50:12 London Barnsley Runner
    04 2007 Apr 2:51:10 London Gold Rush
    05 2007 Apr 2:51:40 London Running Bear
    06 2007 May 2:51:50 Edinburgh Pugheaven
    07 2007 Apr 2:52:13 London OuchOuch
    08 2007 Sep 2:53:04 Mablethorpe NDOW
    10 2007 Oct 2:53:49 Dublin MTriton
    11 2007 Apr 2:54:53 London Morris
    12 2007 Sep 2:55:47 New Forest TippTop
    13 2007 Sep 2:55:55 Wolverhampton Marshallini
    14 2007 Sep 2:57:44 Nottingham marders
    15 2007 Apr 2:57:45 London Gobi
    16 2007 May 2:57:53 Halstead Stet
    17 2006 Nov 2:58:15 New York Dan A
    18 2007 Apr 2:58:59 London Wyke Wanderer
    19 2007 Apr 2:59:12 London Njord
    20 2007 Apr 2:59:16 London Dad Of Two
    21 2007 Apr 2:59:19 London Mattster
    22 2007 Apr 2:59:39 London Spence R

League Two

01 2007 Apr 3:01:06 London General Grevious
    02 2006 Dec 3:01:50 Luton EdB
    03 2007 Apr 3:03:05 London Dull Napoleon
    04 2007 Apr 3:03:11 London Geewok
    05 2007 Sep 3:03:56 Berlin paul a
    06 2007 Apr 3:04:56 London PhilPub
    07 2007 Oct 3:05:16 Amsterdam Joolska
    08 2007 Apr 3:10:04 London RHG
    09 2006 Dec 3:10:56 Luton yellapunts
    10 2007 Sep 3:12:10 Nottingham MattTheRat
    11 2007 Apr 3:12:55 London Blisters

Conference

01 2007 Mar 3:16:04 Rome Odeon1085
    02 2007 Apr 3:16:56 London Nichs2
    03 2007 Apr 3:32:?? Lochaber SueC

Virgin Premiership

01 FLM 2008 Jelly Bebe (youth and beauty before..)
    02 FLM 2008 TR (... man boobs)
    03 FLM 2008 DFC (grim)

Just thought I would bring this back to remind us of where we are, DanA, do you have another marathon handy for the end of the month?
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Gobi - No, looks like relegation to League Two at the end of the month for me; just ahead of Dull with only my 3.02.08 from Amsterdam to fall back on.  Watching Leeds (not too long ago in the Champions League semi-final) battling out a bore draw with Hereford in the first round of the FA Cup last night seems a suitable analogy.

TR - still keen on Gosport and am getting in excuses to avoid family commitments already. Have to visit my new niece though that weekend, and avoid commenting that she actually looks like an alien.  I don't go in for all that coochie coo cobblers. image