thursday 15th November 2007 Well Your faith was strong but you needed proof

You saw her bathing on the roof

Morning all, 

Off to readback a bit now...

Comments

• Morning peeps.

Ain't been on all week, but training's going okay.

What: 45 mins in a thick freezing fog ! Couldn't see more than about 20  metres in any direction !!

Have tons to read back to catch up on and hopefully on more regularly again, at last.

Have a good one peeps, if you can.

• 200 mins - well done on the Good Samaratin run last night.  FWIW I think an hour at MP + 90 secs will have done you more good given your recent piling in of hard sessions and races than yet another hard (MP) run.

What: 4.5 miles am / 8 miles pm
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Oct 27th

• Morning!!

Chilly in Brum-land but clear, bright and looking like a lovely morning - pity I shall be spending it all inside image

Didn't post yesterday - 13.3miles with TmR and V'rap, longest run ever! Feeling surprisingly good this morning, despite a distinct lack of stretching last night (parents coming to visit today so felt cleaning took priority!)

Today: hopefully a quick hr at the gym for some x trainer and core stability, but may have to can it as I'm going to a lecture this evening on the Extreme Everest expedition (there was a prog on BBC2 about it a little while back) - basically they looked at endurance and adaptation to low oxygen levels whilst trekking up Everest....should be a good one!!

Have a good day all

• morning

we've missed this lot of fog but it's very frosty yet. if it's going to be cold i like it like this - all pretty across the fields

i have an injury but it isn't one which is stopping me running. i'ts a muscle, tendon and nerve in my shoulder which hurts in the elbow too. caused me to DNF at the 14th in yesterday's golf but the only other thing i can't do that i normally do is hoovering. so that's one bad thing and one good thing but some people may think differently.

with the marathon runners all getting their plans in place for spring races i wish you all good training and successful outcomes, whatever your goals

what - 10 miles steady
    why - this week's longest run brought forward as race on sunday
    last hard - 4 days
    last rest - 2 days
    lyrics - not today

did anybody see the heile documentary on CNN last weekend?
    i missed it and then missed the repeat as well, wondered what it was like

• i saw that one brumliz - it was quite scary in parts, some of the risks the other teams took. one of the team of docs had to persuade one of the other teams not to leave one of their colleagues basically to die.
    well done on your longest run!

• 200 mins: congrats on being the good samaritan last night.

Clink: sorry to hear about the DNF, though good to hear it isn't stopping you running!

What: 8m steady at lunch
    Why:  Because I'm worth it
    Last hard: tues
    Last rest: mon

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Morning

clink - sounds painful, hope it gets better soon.  Golf and me just don't go - lol ask BR about the time he took me to the driving rangeimage

what: am 12 miles / pm 3 miles
    why: fat burning

• Morning all,

Brumliz - would be interested to hear what the lecture is like - I volunteered for the expedition to be a "subject" and be tested on but was unable to make the trip in the end - to be honest in the end it sounded like I wasn't going to get any further than base camp and the organisers etc were going to be able to go higher so it kind of lost it's appeal.

What: 5 miles easy
    Why : Recovery
    Last Hard: Tues
    Last Rest: Monday

10 miles done last night, last mile or so a little tough as ran out of energy but otherwise good. Must eat more.

Happy running y'all!

FIN

• Morning all,

Lyrics - yes - love this song!  One version of it (my personal favourite of ones I've heard) was "best song ever" in a recent poll in Q magazine.

What: 5M later on
    Why: because I can
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Monday

Just noticed that I am on the same training today as FINgers.  Didn't do 10M last night, though!

• Morning All

what: Nowt
    Why: Abu Dhabi Half tomorrow
    Last Hard: Last night
    Last rest: today

• Oh yes forgot to mention, for those of you who are counting, it's 150 days to FLM today....

FIN

• hi everyone

what: 7km easy
    why: just ticking over before race on saturday

venom and i are off to south island to run in the molesworth relay.  if you have a minute take a look at this map of it on satellite view (you can change the view just above the map).  it is completely deserted!  nothing but sheep for 84km.  anyway - we're in a team of 4 so a half marathon each.

see you all in a few days (if we make it back out of there again!)

• Good morning

Seems like a rest day was the right idea.  I cycled home last night so my knees and shins were unstressed all day.  Didn't push it too hard on the bike but still had a good effort and good time home.  This morning knees pain free and only right shin twingeing, feels OK now.

What:  3 miles d&d am, probably 1.5 miles pm

Why:  schedule

Last hard:  6 days

Last rest:  1 day

Last lyrics:  5 days

Long run tomorrow, yippee.

All the best.

• Morning

What a lot to catch up on i want to saya lot but may have to read back again to jog my memory

200 - That was a nice thing you did last night.

FIN - I'm Counting but i'm just doing weeks at the moment

M - a bit late but well done on your new 5k pb truly amazing. Enjoy your trip to South Island and good luck in the race

As we are having discussions  on various training runs.
    What is the maximum distance (or time) you consider to be a  recovery run? For me i would say a max of 40 minutes.

What: 1 hour+ steady
    Why: Base phase
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Lyrics: No

• Oh yes

Did anyone see The 55 year old Commando last night on ITV1 very interesting Chris Tyrell (sp!) training wit hthe regulars for the green beret, had to pass 4 very tough tests. He did it amazing stuff

• Morning folks.

Nice session at the club last night...10mins out, turning round and aiming to come back to the starting point in the second 10mins. Looking for controlled 10k-10mile pace. Paced it pretty well, getting back to the start in 9.54. So ended up covering 3.5 miles in 19.54 (5.41 pace), feeling fairly comfortable. Followed it up with 6 x c.200m efforts off a 90sec turnaround. With a decent length of w/u and c/d added in, ended up with over 8 miles in total. Very enjoyable and most of the folk in the group, with only one or two exceptions, achieved close to the desired even pace for the out and back, so my instructions did get through!

For today...

What: 5 easy miles at lunchtime
    Why: recovery

Have a good day.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Pammie - you say 40 mins is considered to be the longest you'd do a recovery run, that seems a tad high going by your overall weekly mileage?

I normally do 3 - 5 miles for a recovery run so between 25-45 mins depending on what I did before it and how much recovery I feel I need.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Cold and frosty here in London.  Suspect I will be needing gloves and possibly a hat on my run this evening!

Clink, sounds painful.  I have a similar kind of "tennis elbow" thing (although I don't play tennis!)  No idea how it started but can be incredibly painful.  Keep meaning to go to the GP about it but doubt they'll be able to do much except tell me to rest it: impossible when you're lifting an eight-month old baby several times a day!

What: 6 miles fairly easy.
    Why: Night out with the girls last night and feeling a bit tired today, so no wish to push it.
    Last hard: Long run Sunday - 11 miles, the first 5.5 (all uphill) against an incredibly strong headwind, so felt very hard.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Have a good one all.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Oh forgot to say I did 12 miles this morning at an easy 8.30 m/m. 
  • Hilly - do you think (not questioning you)

the shortest route i have takes me about 35 minutes (5k) Is it worth doing an even shorter run than that. Would it be worth going out the door for as obviously i am only on single runs

• Recovery run if a double would be 6 miles max (45 mins).  If a single run then 8 miles max (1hr).  E.g. today, 34 mins am, 60 mins pm.
  • Hello

I've been to Hanmer Springs twice (our tent got attacked by Kea's somewhere near there) - please wave to the dolphins as you go past Kaikoura!

200 - good work cruising for ladies at the club!

My "recovery runs" seem to get confused with my "easy runs" - anywhere between 20 and 60 minutes. (And before Gobster asks.... yes, my easy runs also seem to get confused with my 5k time trials too!)

• What: Swim d&d, out for dinner tonight
    • Why: Shiraz says

Have a good day all.

• Morning all,

Good session on the Eliptical trainer last night, using hands this time at level 8-9! I managed 10k in 38:35secs! pretty pleased with meself, but trying to decide if its faster to run or do eliptical training, could always strap a machine to my legs during me next race and see what happerns! image lol

What:

pm: gym session will include 30mins of CV not sure what yet though, might even try a waddle on the dreadmill! if not eliptical trainer

pm2: Track with training group.  Running drills then some very very slow jogging pace laps around the track to see how my back takes the surface.

Why:

Showing my face to the training group and saying im on my way back!

TREADMILL:

Ah yes I did read that post, was not sure if it was the one though! erm...normally I would not train any further than 14-miles for a half marathon and in the past Ive done some good races from it, If im doing 10-mile or HM, I tend to ensure I get my 14-mile runs in most non racing weekend, dont care too much about what pace I run them,just by how I feel really, or I do a very hilly multi-terrain run with a training partner, which is probably similer to 16-miles on the road effort wise up the north downs.

I think for 10k races you should still do a longish run if your a serious athlete, for this I would either do a 10-12miler and drop the longer 14 too maybe once a month.

The only time I have ventured over 14-miles in the past was for my marathon back in 2004, and for this I did 3 runs of 20-miles the rest were 14-milers plus a fair few HM and 10-mile races which I used as race pace training. other than that I limit my training time to 2hrs max!

SCOOBY:

Yep I do time myself, gives me something to be motivated about, I really do dislike doing cardio in the gym, as its swelly, always too hot and your actually not going anywhere, plus it annoys me somewhat seeing others playing at being fit and actually not working very hard at all! lol

• Ditto BR on the recovery runs...for a single recovery run I'll go up to about 7-8 miles. If forming part of a double, I'll tend to do somewhere between 4 and 6 miles.

As for the pace of recovery runs, there's a whole different debate!!!.....previously I ran mine far too quickly...BR pointed out this rather obvious fact a while back and since then I've tried to run them slower and slower. Nowadays, I'm usually somewhere in the 7.30-8.00 bracket (though admittedly many of them do still tend to be towards the quicker end of this range). In my current return to fitness, I'm definitely feeling the benefit of holding back on the pace on these runs, with a definite improvement in the energy levels I'm finding I have for my (excessive??? - before BR says it ;o)) speedwork sessions. I'll stick with it for now and see how it goes.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Pammie - do you run every day?  If you don't then I don't think you need a recovery run as such.  An easy run yes, but they are two different things.  Recovery runs in my opinion, although I'm no expert and others will correct me if I'm wrongimage are done between hard and steady sessions for those who run every day.  Many will use HR to keep the run at recovery pace, me I'll go by how I feel.  I'm not very scientific over these things.
  • Hiya,

Micksta: I like "swelly". Would that be sweaty and smelly??

Minks: I wore a hat and gloves today and i started my run at 10:15!! (or something) The gloves came off after half an hour or so, but the hat def stayed put - there's still some frost along the canal.
    I think I'm really going to suffer with my Raynaulds this winter, its bad already.

BTW, Aldi have some headband things for £2 which fit under a cycle helmet to keep the ears warm.

What: 90min run
    Why: Thursdays is longish run day.

• Hi folks,

What: 7.5 mile run; core session
    Why: base training
    Last hard: 7 Oct
    Last rest: 9 Sept

What a fabulous Autumn we are having - day after day one sunshine.

I went to the gym last night for the first in ages and really enjoyed throwing some weights around. I joined Next Gen. to use their pool and haven't been in their gym before but I felt totally at home. I know a lot of people dislike the carpet carrying, flexing grunting and gurning atmosphere but I love it. I have several characteristics, competitiveness, agression and confidence considered assets in a man but often frowned upon in women and it's nice to occassionally operate in an environment where these are excessive.

I don't really do recovery sessions - I'm either training or I'm recovering. I don't do any easy running (except warming up) and recover from running sessions by biking or swimming. I would agree with Hilly - I think the recover run only really has a place for higher mileage runners. Others would be better not running and perhaps cross training instead.

AF - I laughed image

Stickless - well done on your 5th place. Are you taking u/g or p/g out running? I am intrigued. I wonder if I could get away with offering running as a tutorial topic?

Brumliz - congrats on your longest run ever.

clink - hope the shoulder is ok. I think I also have a condition which prevents me from hovering image

M - wow, it looks amazing; have a good race.
  • Morning,

I offered once for students who wanted extra meetings to come with me running or cycling, but no one took me up on it.

Melli, I love the free weights room too - such fun!

What: sports massage; possibly a swim; cycle to and from work
    Why: recovery, massage postponed from yesterday
    Last hard: 3 Nov
    Last rest: only cycled in yesterday.

Good runnings all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

m & venom - enjoy
    Lyrics - another blank

What : 5 miles easy
    Why : recovery

• BR
    Yes,  I agree, too much hard running is unsustainable and I was quite happy to chill out at 9m/m for a change - both from a general training perspective and in particular given my slight ankle niggle.
    Lady in question has some potential.  Talking to her afterwards she used to be a track runner & is just coming back into it.  Hills really slowed her down,  so some BR-style conditioning is clearly called for!

A Devon frost for my pre-work run this moning; must find my gloves some time...

What:  5 miles easy
    Why:  Scheduled easy run, building the miles
    Last hard:  3 days
    Last rest:  2 days

Club track session tomorrow evening (just to alarm Brilly!)