Mortimer Forest Hill 10

Hi, judging by the comments on the feedback I'm going to need to invest in some offroad shoes for this one. Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Yes - I've done this quite a few times. Most of it is off road, There are bits that are very slippy and other bits where your running in 6 inches of sticky mud.

• Cheers Simon, your help is much appreciated.
  • Bring a 4 wheel drive with as winch and you'll be OKimage

It is muddy and some of the hills are so steep that you have to walk up.  In fact the first major hill is almost a hands and knees job, I find I have to hold onto the trees to avoid going AOT.  On one of the descents I crashed into the brambles and nettles.  It's a good idea to wear tights!!  And on the final descent you have to hold onto the Christmas trees.

Huge fun thoughimage

Race is the same day as the Telford 10k.  I like MF though so I'll probably end up thereimage

• You paint a vivid picture Edski, thanks. At least I now know what I've let myself in for!

Richard

• Oh meant to say - wear a pair of gloves, tights and a long sleevie.  Off-roaders essential else you'll slide all over.  Hat optional...

• I did it for the first time last year - the most memorable things were the amazing scenery vfrom the top of every hill, and there are at least 6 distinct ones, the fact that most of the runners arrived in Subarus and wore Walsh or similar fell shoes, and the lukewarm showers with blocked drains at the end. 

Ggreat race though and I'm going for it again this year!

• I've done it loads of times, these are two memories -

1 The first time I did it I thought I was being chased by a bull! There was no one near me when I crossed the field before the carpark. There were some cows in it. I sensed something coming up behind me. I was about to panic when heard voice saying this is tough! I've never been so relieved to be overtaken!

2 One year it was so misty at one point you could only see about 10 yards in front!

What amazes me is the mountain bike race which takes place on exactly the same course 1/2 an hour earlier. I wouldn't even like to try and push a bike up some of the slopes.

• Some tales to whet the appetite here, thanks all. On the downside it looks like I have some pre-race purchasing to do, on the plus side I have something very different to look forward to having only done road events before now.

See you there! 

• ye, this is a belting fell race that feels more like a hilly trail race. reading the above, it's all true, apart from the blocked drains: that was the bath image Butty van does a roaring trade before & after the run.
    i'd wear a fell shoe or a trail model with an aggressive outsole otherwise it's too easy to lose traction. not sure about tights but gloves a must if it's chilly - somewhere to stash your keys, too.
    it's such a good event that i travelled from/to Liverpool on the 4 occasions i've run it.
    i hope you have a fantastic run, Richard
  • waheey sounds good to me see you there

• (its wearing tights thats got me)image
  • I said wear tights cos if you do crash it can be painful if you land in some brambles or a thorn bush, and also there are always lots of bits of sharp twigs poking out from the Christmas trees.  Also it is usually v v muddy (not helped by the mountain bike race) so you don't want to wear a shiny new pair.
  • I ran the route a couple of weeks ago and can confirm that it is already a bit slippy in a couple of places.

Some people run this in road shoes each year - they are the ones covered in mud by the finish! (actually, they're usually covered in mud within a mile of the start)

Edski - the only time I raced this I ran straight into one of those christmas trees - it didn't even attempt to get out of my way. I won't be racing this year because I will be out on the course marshalling.

• and the entry form is sat on my coffee table..... begging me!
  • ...u knows u wants to....
  • This forum is great, isn't it. Really pleased I posted the question - thanks for your help. In particular, swittle who has helped further with the specific choice of shoe and Johnny again who has left me in no doubt whatsoever about the likely consequences of wearing the wrong footwear.....
  • LOL I think I will be the saddo in white trainers then.  I don't possess any trail shoes and need to control my knees! I will wear the tights though!
  • I have run this fabulous race many times, and there will be a large contingent from Dudley-Kingswinford there again this year.

If you haven't got proper shoes, don't run it. The part of the course just after the feed station after you reach the summit is treacherous on the way down, and impossible without proper shoes.

• What other similar races do people enter in the early part of the year? I usually do the Stourbridge Stagger, The Wyre Forest MT 8 and the Treat. Last year I did the May Hill Massacre. I have also done the Muddy Woody - but usually miss out as I leave it too late to enter. I've done the Dursley Dozen once - it usually clashes with something else closer to home. 
  • Can't miss the Wyre Forest - a much gentler run, but nice and muddy!
  • too right, johnny again - and the WF half-Marathon is a real gem. details on the amazing feet website?
  • ummm, me thinks i shall have to get me some off road trainers, i had thought i would put them on my xmas list thinking i would get away with my road trainers!!!They did get me round Pattingham and Dovedale........Are we talking fell shoes or multi terrain jobbers?image
  • I can feel the lure of this one
  • Nicky - for the Mortimer I'd definitely recommend fell shoes, unless it has been exceptionally dry (which it won't be). Trail shoes or wellies are fine for the Wyre Forest.

Nibbs - you'll love it!

• Nicky, you will deffo need something with an aggressive sole - lots of grip needed.  It's a bit of a mudbath.  And if you wear your road shoes, getting up the hills will be interesting.  I'll stand there and laugh at youimage

• cheers guys,i shall see what i can find,i do have a fine pair of wellies........image
  • I went round in fell shoes last year, and was glad of the extra grip!

This was one of my favourite races last year, can't wait to do it again.  Plenty of hills and mud, but still very very runnable.  Great!!!

• The route is quite wet and muddy in places again this year. Should be fun!
  • Johnny again - it looks like you've been training on the course!

Is the route open to the public? I ask this question as I had a wierd experiencea few years ago. On a Saturday in the middle of June my partner and myself decided to ramble the course. After the pipe road we were following the path up the hill when we were approached by someone with a gun! He told us we were tresspassing on Lord someones land. It was all closed because there was some sort hunting event.

Although the bit we were on was not marked as a public right of way there were no private property signs. Anyway I wasn't going to argue with anyone with a gun!

• Don't blame you Simon!!!

It's now looking unlikely I'll be running this due to lingering chest infection.  Have fun all  - and put some race reports on here.