New Year Box Hill Knacker Cracker

I'll welcome all comments/questions/suggestions.

rob

Comments

• Can't believe I've entered this race so early! Just about recovered from the last one.
  • I'm up for it - and I'll run it dressed as the London Air Ambulance (HEMS) ;o)
  • I'm up for go at the KC this new year. Did the 12k KC in '06, great fun (and a whole lot of pain).

Doc, what % of 10k time is added for estimate finish??
  • Will definately enter as i loved it last year but, is it my imgination or has the entry price become as steep as the hill itself??
  • Ran this race for the last 2 years and wouldn-t miss it for the world. Its how I know the Year has really begun. More fun and effective refresher than a week of physical and spiritual cleansing.
  • what are the chances of bringing my dog to get me up the hillsimage
  • Hi,

I did a search and found the knacker cracker whacker thingy race.this looks awesome!

I live only about 30 mins from Box Hill.

I have done 2 10K this years and just finished a half maratho last Sunday.

So this is a mega hrad one? Please do let me know what you think of it?

Thanks,

Marty

• yeah. Do u need to be really good to do it, as i'm considering it, but i'm currently injured, and wont have done much training before hand?
  • Ole.....................I am up for this.

Just spoke to my wife and mentioned it was New Years day and she said GREAT we can bring the kids and have a bite to eat afterwards...................It does sound like a whacker nacker in the nethier regions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will complete online early next week.

What do you get for your £28?????? Lobster and Salmon!!!

• Hello All,

I just wrote a long post, and then lost it, so I'll keep this one short.

You need to be uninjured and reasonably fit, but we have had older (70) and less fit runners (my mate Tom, who's in the Fat Dads football team) finish the race in under 100 minutes. It is a very tough course, and only the fastest three or four runners ever manage to run the whole thing.

For your money, you get a memorable race (obviously), included on-line entry, medical coverage, non-rip numbers, a personalised t-shirt with your name on, an 'unusual medal' nosh after the race (not salmon, but just as tasty) and memories that will last a lifetime (whether you want them to or not). the race fee also includes a donation to the race charities, including one which is building a children's orphanage in Uganda (http://www.riannasfund.org/).

Fancy dress is strongly encouraged (in the runners!)

Please bring the kids - but wrap them up warm!

See you on the hill!

rob
  • Hiya Dr Rob,

Am about to enter the KC (as I've done Ashtead and Munro this year, I ought to do this one really).

I might dress up then....Tell me, would it be too headachy to organise a 'fun run' for the little ones as well!??? My daughter just ran her first 1.5 miles race and is asking for more!

• Hey people

The price seems as steep as Box Hill, but you do get value for money - the feeling of goodness with a big chunk going to charity and the privilige of running/climbing/crawling the toughest 10k in Britain.  Plus, a carrot.

This run is an experience.  Something you'll look back on with pride (and a wince of remembered pain). 

My family still think I'm mad to be doing this again, but that's runners for you - we're not completely normal...  image

• Is the route waymarked?  I know Boxhill is the route for Surrey's only Fell Race, but just wondering how this one differs?

Its obvious from the times that its tough - that I can cope with, but navigation totally floors me image

• I did the FLM in nearly five hours and have done just one 10k since (first 7 km uphill) in 53 mins. Is my hope of completing the KC in one hour realistic or simply bl***y mad?
  • AP6

There's uphill and there's Boxhill - big difference.  Generally add at least 25% to your normal 10k time.  You won't be running all the route, and if you're like me you'll be crawling up the steps from the stepping stones....

• Hi Guys!  I've run three marathons this year, and several other race, but it was my crazy husband who said 'let's enter this; it'll be fun!'  As you can guess, he is regretting it now - but I won't let him back out!

We live a 10 minute run from Box Hill, and I'm really looking forward to this madness!  Worth every penny, I reckon!

• As my usually idea of a rough surface is when it has been raining the night before and the paths in the park are muddy, can I ask - what kind of shoes are needed for this? Or doesn't it matter as my legs will have dropped of within the fisrt km?

• after the 1sk km, there'll be an inch thick coating of mud on your trainers it won't matter...

as long as your trainers have some good grip, either road or off-road does the trick, preferably cushioned (a lot of downhill).  Surfaces very from track, grass, road, rocks and mud.  Won't recommend new white ones...

• Might be tempted as fairly local.  image

• Looks excellent, but I'm a jogger not a runner (see thread somewhere else about the difference), does it matter just how slow you go?

The start is not the steps up from the cafe is it?

• NE6 - the start is up Burfott Slope (hill parallel to zig zag road) all the way to the old fort!! image 

The steps don't appear 'til near the end - down to the stepping stones and back up!?!image (they should be a smiley for pain)

• im undecided about this one....iv got a 3 mile hill run planned for when i go home for christmas - 850ft ascent over first mile and a half then back down. if i dont die then i shall enter image
  • better discide soon JH, places filling up quickly
  • See you at the run through - 11am on Sunday 16th.

rob
  • Phew - that was fun! The legs are feeling it now...

Race instructions will be emailed and posted on the website on wednesday (19 December).
  • PS - Only 20 places left....today I am designing the t-shirt, with everyone's name on the back. If you haven't entered yet, your name won't be on it....D'Oh!
  • 193 entered as at 4.50 on Tuesday 18 December. The list will close at 200 entrants. After that it will not be possible to enter the race online.

There is usually a 15% drop-out of people who cannot run, even after entering, so that there will be entries on the day up to a total of 200 actually running. (200 is the maximum allowed by the National Trust). To enter on the day, come along to the race start, and join the queue, clutching your cash (£28 attached, £30 unattached). No cheques please, they can bounce! There may be up to about 30 places available on the day. Unused places are re-sold to maximise the donation of the race to charity - thank you for your understanding.
  • On-line entry is now closed (9:24, Thrusday 20 December), since all 200 online places have been taken.

If you are desperate to get into the race, please see the comments on on-the-day entry above.
  • These are the race instructions for the Knacker Cracker (11am onwards, 1 January 2008, http://www.trionium.com/knackercracker).

You will not be sent anything through the post.

PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.
    Your start time is below.

How to get there: Instructions are on the web site.

You should pick up your running numbers at least 20 minutes before your allocated start time.

Toilets are a few minutes walk from the start. There are no changing facilities.

Please wear fancy dress if possible (a funny hat at least - come on!) There will be separate prizes for fancy dress.

You should wear your running number on your front.

Please come for the first wave (11am), so that you can cheer on your fellow runners.

The race will be run on a handicap system, based on the estimated run time you gave when registering. All runners have been allocated into five-minute estimated-time groups. Please keep to your start time - otherwise you will get an inaccurate finish time. Slowest runners will start at 11am, with fastest runners setting off at 11.25. Expected finish for most runners is at around 12.20 - 12-40.

Your final individual placing will be based on your actual elapsed time.

ALL on-the-day entries will go at 11:15. Around 30 on-the-day entries will be available (£28 attached, £30 unattached), up to a maximum of 200 runners.

KEEP LEFT AT ALL TIMES and ALLOW OVERTAKING RUNNERS TO PASS on the right!

Road crossings will be marshaled, but take care anyway.

There will be a bag and key drop at the start. Nothing fancy, but safe and dry.

Do not leave valuables in your car.

If the stepping stones are uncovered, you can go over them at your own risk - take care!

If the stepping stones are covered, then reverse your route and go back over the bridge.

Please say 'Thank you' to all marshals.

Please acknowledge/greet/encourage all other runners when passing/being passed. For this reason, stereos/mp3s/iPods are discouraged - please don't run in a bubble!

The wooden spoon will be given to the last person up the first hill. They can pass the spoon on to the first person they pass and they in their turn can do the same (the last person in the field should therefore always have the wooden spoon). Whoever has the wooden spoon should tell each marshal that they pass that they have the wooden spoon. Think of it as a baton in a relay, but in reverse. (Mathematicians - how many times will it change hands?).

Prizes will be given out at around 12.45.

TIPS

Only get changed just before your start, otherwise you will get cold (D'Oh!). You will get very hot on this course, going up the hills - single layers and non-thermal hats are probably the way to go. Spikes and studs are banned from the course, but shoes with grip may be useful (but don't worry if you haven't got any - ordinary trainers will also get you round). You will get muddy. Try to take in the scenery if you can! Watch your feet - the course is very rough in places. If you are injured, get your fellow runners to go to the next marshal, and they will organise assistance. Unless you are superhuman, run the slopes but walk up the steps. Last year's winner said 'If you want to do well in this race, eat porridge for breakfast, and disengage your brain on the downhills.' OK - but TAKE CARE!

See you on the day!
  • If anyone is thinking of turning up on the day on the off-chance of a place, I would say it was well worth it.

I have run both the KC and the double-length Midsummer Munro half - both painful and satisfyting in equal measures.  The only real problem would come if anyone voluntarily entered either race for the second time: D'oh... I suspect my advanced years are starting to play havoc with my memory.

Seriously, there is no better way to prove how out of shape you are if training for a spring marathon.  I hope it will galvanise my training plan for FLM 08.

Deepest respect to Dr Robert and his merry band of marshals.  It's likely to be brass monkeys out there, and this is no "quick 10k and it's all over" event.

See you on New Years day.