Best for weight loss?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum business, I've just started running and have around three and a half stone of excess to lug around!

My question is, does anyone find Weight Watchers or Slimming World works for them, I mean which one of these two 'biggies' would be best for me to embark on a weight loss course. I've tried calorie counting which drove me mad, but I do really need to loose this weight, its the big FOUR for me next year, dont want to be Fair, Fat and Forty!

Also, (yes I know it sounds crazy) but I've entered the Coniston 14 for next April so I can't think excess weight would be much good to me on that, or really, anything else connected with running.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Weight loss is easy.  Just eat less and exercise more.

Personally I have never tried any 'slimming' club.  However, I know someone who swears by Weight Watchers, another by Slimming World and another by Rosemary Conley! From what I know, they are all calorie counters just done in a different way so that you don't think you're counting calories (but what else can WW points be?)

• Hi Marja

Kelly is right, just make sure what you do eat is good fuel.

Some people swear by one plan or another but its what goes on in your head;your motivation and commitment towards it & finding what works for you personally.

Good luckimage

• Gillian McKeith is really good and you don't have to count anything! It's just eating foods in the right combination. And everyone else says - exercise more! Walking everyday etc. Not that i'm an expert by any means - I'm trying to lose a few stones too!!
  • Moving (a lot) more and eating (a bit ) less works quite well
  • if you have just started running and are building to 14 miles in April are training propelry for the distance and are sensible with food intake then the weight should drop off
  • it's already been said but the weight should drop off with the increased training and  sensible eating, ie dont think you can eat loads more because you went for a run. 

It's horses for courses with slimming clubs, but do give it a try on your own first, save the £5 a week that a club would charge and get yourself some lovely new trainers!

BTW, personally I have a few stone to lose, I lost a couple of stone last year just by cutting out the carp, then went on holiday and lost the motivation.  I've just rejoined SW, ignored the plan and didn't go for 2 weeks and put on 2lb.  I've been before several years ago, lost a fair bit, stopped going and put it all back on plus some bonus pounds.  I am exactly the kind of person these clubs love!  Seem to have found my mojo this week so far!

Good luck with the running and the weight loss, whatever you decide to do.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Aitch,

I presume you are taking the p**s re the fraud McKe*th

• I don't like her, per se, but some of her ideas are good.
  • The problem I think with all these weight watcher style clubs is that they seem to put you in the diet frame of mind as opposed to the permanant change state. You don't want a diet, you want a complete change in relationship with food.

I have seen so many of my mates join up for six months with one club or another, lose weight, and then think ah ok I've achieved that now and they pile it all back on. There really is no magic formula to weightloss. If you are taking in fewer calories than you are expending then you will tone up and lose fat. Obviously you don't want to go to extremes and starve, but I am assuming that you are pretty clued up as to what is good and bad anyway?

Save the money, eat healthily for 6 days of the week and have one cheat day where you can have a meal of anything you want. Exercise and slowly bring the intensity up. Watch the weight come off.

• I disagree with Berardi about the eating every 2-3 hours. The rest of it's good.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Despite having been a total cycnic when I saw it at first, the Paul McKenna book and CD are fab.

4 principles:

Eat when you are hungry
    Stop eating when you are full
    Eat slowly
    Eat things you enjoy

Sounds very simple, but it does take a bit of time to actually know when you are actually hungry and not thirsty, bored, or just in the habit of eating at a particular time. 

The eating slowly helps your brain catch up with your stomach, and you end up eating smaller portions.

Eating the things you enjoy sounds dangerous, but if you chew a doughnut 20 times per bite, believe me, it tastes so greasy and stodgy, it's 'orrible.  Eating fruit slowly, on the other hand, really brings out the flavour.

Basically it is just the same principle of eating less, exercising more, but it does give a bit of focus (and Amazon were selling it at £5 a while back - about the same as one week of WW/SW).

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

What I find hard (id love to lose about 1/2 stone) is the fact that I can drag my sorry arse out to run 50-60 miles a week, goto tthe gym 4/5 times a week and cycle....BUT i cannot resist biscuits or cake!

I ahve the will-power/drive to go out in all weathers/when I am tired etc....but I cant stop myself opening a packet of hob-nobs and eating them all....OK granted I have to buy them 1st, but you know what I am saying??

• You eat a whole packet? That's an achievement in itself Nick! Do you favour plain or chocolate?! Oooh, I must stop myself talking about biscuits - I want one and can't because I will break my regime!! My will power is awful too but slowly getting a little better!
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

...im not overly fussy aitch, but the caramel chocolate ones are leathal.

Not just hob nobs - jaffa cakes, oreos, ginger biscuits.......

• Agree with the comment about complete change of relationship with food - that's what you have to aim for.

However, don't agree with the comments about having a 'cheat' day. What you have to get away from is the idea that 'healthy' food tastes bad and that 'unhealthy' food is a treat or a reward. Have some delicious exotic fruit as a 'treat' if you have to have a treat.

I'm by no means good at this myself - I need to lose at least a stone myself. Wish I could get this into my head too...

Having said that, I've had an open bar of chocolate in the fridge for weeks and it's still not finished!

• it's easy

write down what you eat in a week, then as you run more, gradually reduce the intake too.  you'll find a balance where the weight drops off.  then when you've lost it, gradually eat a bit more til it stabilises.

cutting out most of the junk from your diet is easy.  nobody needs to eat chips.

• Nick - I've never had THOSE hob nobs but they sound good!!

Guys and girls - your advice please......

Got to go for a curry tonight with my girls as one is moving to London to live and that's what she wants to do. I'm eating really well at the mo trying to lose weight and don't want to be bad - what shall I eat??! I've not eaten wheat for a while as it makes me bloated and I'm trying to food combine (no carbs and protein together) so it's a bit of a nightmare! Please help!

• Aitch...chicken tikka (not masala) or tandoori chicken / fish...avoid sauces....
  • I know tikka is good and shaslic (can't spell curry names) as they're not in sauces - I guess I could have them with salad and avoid the rice?!
  • exactly...then at least you are taking part in the meal...not very exciting but it IS the better food choice...

...and NO BEER!!!! image

• I suggest you eat only a bit less than you need to sustain your current running, for which you can use a http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weightloss.php.
  • I did weight watchers points a few years ago- I worked but I found myself becoming a geek and buying ww products so I couldn't possibly stray- and I found their meals were pushed at the meeting etc.

Not sue about slimming world but might be less ready meal driven.

WW striked me that theyare not massively bothered where you get your calories from so if you eat nothing all day, then a bottle of wine and a doughnut, you might still be in your points allowance (but not ideal!)

• Ratbag - no beer? Not sure I will manage that! I am driving though which will mean I have one at the most. Got a 6 mile route planned for tomorrow morning first thing so that should burn some of it off and going out for 3 or 4 miles when I get home from work so it might not be as horrific as initially though! Only had a banana and vege soup today too which is good!!

Mr P - what's a dhansak and is it nice? Never had one.

• Aitch, my advice would be to go to the curry house and have whatever you fancy. This is what i mean about the cheat meal once a week. Nobody is going to go forever without ever craving a curry or a burger or some chips or chocolate gateau or whatever it is for you. If you are going out for dinner, just go out and enjoy it or whats the point in spending all that extra cash in the first place for a meal that you don't want?
  • Mike, for once i really want to stick to what I started! I think it's possibly the first time ever I want to have a healthier curry (I'll remind myself of this later). I know with me, if I lapse I tend to think bugger it and give up. I have no will power unless I go cold turkey with things (I'm VERY good at lent)!
  • meat vindaloo, and tuck into the lime pickle. straight out the other end, so none of the calories have time to stick to your hips.
  • I'd not thought of that! I would like to be able to taste food for the next week though and think vinadloo would prevent this!