Best for weight loss?

Comments

• Panic over - not even going for a curry now so just had jacket potato and beans (with marmite) and loads of spinach mmmmmm. Needed it mind you - felt a bit light headed after my run!
  • Thanks everyone, you've really given me food for thought there, (intentional pun)!! These clubs do seem a bit pricey, I think I will try the 'Eat healthily and excercise more' theory until after New Year then go to a slimming club if I'm not cuttin' in.

Thanks everyone, will let you know how I getr on

• Spicy food revs up your metabolism.
  • I'd heard that but didn't actually know if it's true?! Curry powder in everything then!!
  • Scrap all ideas of 'going on a diet' and just gradually adjust your eating habits. I have no forbidden foods - if I want crisps or cake or choccies then I eat them!  A meal out with friends?  I enjoy the full works! But I find I don't crave them i.e they are not an issue in my life. Healthy foods however can be just as appetising - and even more so really. I eat little and often - i.e about 6 times a day. I fill easily and have no problem stopping when I'm full but I get hungry very quickly as well so always have snacks to hand. 

I want food that will make me fitter, stronger and energised and that basically motivates what goes into my mouth. What you find is that 'healthy eating' just becomes normal and a way of life.

I've stayed the same weight for years by living like this.  (Much to the chagrin of my family who are all overweight and constantly 'on diets' and justify their sizes by saying I must have an eating problem! Cheek!image  Just because they are too lazy to get off their behinds and do anything active! 

Like some of the other posters say - save the money you would spend on Slimming Club fees and treat yourself! 

• Jacket potato, beans and marmite?? I can't even imagine how that must taste. yuck.
  • For me, the best way I found to lose weight and keep it off was to become serious about my running. I find that by doing so it has changed the way I think with regards to food.

I tried running on my own for a while but I would drift in and out for weeks at a time. Sometimes I'd be at the gym daily, other times I would miss a whole week. I found I could never get any balance regarding exercise.

I decided to join 2 running clubs. One goes out on a Tuesday and Thursday, the other on a Wednesday. At first it was difficult as I was out of shape and carrying too much weight. I also entered races I found on this site - so far I've done 10k, 10 mile and half marathon. Tomorrow I have a 10 mile race but now I have a time to beat from my first one. I'm about 2 stone lighter from the last 3 months training and a lot faster and fitter than when I first started out. I expect to knock about 10 mins off the last time I did based on the times I've been getting in training since my first 10 miler. I haven't gone on a diet I just know that to keep improving in my running (which I'm enjoying) I need to carry less weight and eat foods that will give me the energy I require. I did some research on what to eat and what not to and 90% of my diet is healthy. Plenty of water, fruit and salad. I do still eat things like chocolate etc because let's face it, I'm not going to never have chocolate again in my life. But I wouldn't make myself sick with it as I know being lighter will get me faster times.

By the way, I'm never going to win a race I am just competing against myself. I'm looking forward to the run tomorrow to see how much I've improved since starting out.

• Graeme - add a small teaspoon of marmite to the beans when they're in the pan - it's yummy!

I'm impressed with your commitment to 2 running clubs! I've often though about joining one but I'm a bit scared - I know that's me being stupid though! I need to up the running I think. Well done on the race achievements, keep up the good work. Hope all goes well tomorrow - get some pasta down you tonight! I've got my second hal in April and quite looking forward to training for it in the new year!
  • Personally, I wouldn't consider donating more money to the slimming industry. We all know that fad diets and 'slimming systems' just don't work. It's madness to deprive yourself and spend all day thinking about food. If you want a biscuit, have a bloody biscuit.

It's easy enough to live healthily without getting too anal about it. If you eat plenty of fruit and veg, and run regularly, you'll lose weight. If you do need to kick-start a weight-loss regime then I reckon the calorie approach is best.

There are plenty of websites about that will tell you how many daily calories you need to maintain your weight, and how many to lose x amount per week or month. Once you know this, you just make sure that your daily net calories (food intake minus exercise calories) is roughly around this figure, and over a period of time the weight will drop off.

If you occasionally want to go out for a curry or (shriek) eat a biscuit, then do it. If you eat a curry or a load of hob-nobs every evening, you'll probably struggle. If it's once every week or two it won't matter.

Treat your diet intelligently rather than obsessively.

• Yes, sound advice, another problem I have is that I am so slow at running I tend to then comfort eat!! Mad, I know.  I sometimes wonder if I will ever get any better, I live in Bolton and was considering joining a running club but really do need to be a bit quicker before I do.  I feel as if I'm in a vicious circle, really, trying to run, gertting narked because I'm not feeling any fitter, then comfort eating!!
  • It doesn't matter how fast you run initially, it's how long you're exercising for that counts! Even if you break a run up with little bits of walking you're still building up your fitness! If I were you just try and build on what you've done so far and try and stay out of the house running for longer. Your fitness will soon build up trust me. I went from not being able to run to the end of the road to completing a half mararthon and doing my second in April. You can push your body to do anythihng you want it to do.

I understand about the comfort eating but just try and get out of the habit. Yes, your body needs fuel for running BUT not of the sugary kind! Brown rice?  Wholewheat pasta? These should give you a good energy boost. I sometimes find that thinking about what you're doing helps - thinking 'I've just been for a run, why am I going to spoil all that eating some chocolate I don't need'! Once you get into the midset of eating healthily you don't want to ruin the good work you're doing! Sometimes I have to go cold turkey with things because of my lack of will power (who can have just ONE square of chocolate?) and find that helps. I'm not saying I'll never have anything bad once in a while just when I get into the mindset, I don't actuallly want it!

I've lost about 4 pounds in 2 weeks I think - wohoo!

• Aitch - I have a question for you!  I am wheat intolerant and have to avoid it at all costs.  How can I manage it?  The whole avoidance of wheat while trying to balance refuelling after / before a run?  I find I bag it, but then end up suffering for a week because I decide wheat is better than not...
  • Have you had glueten free bread and pasta? The pasta is nice is you if you have it with pesto or another pasta sauce and to be honest, if's not that different. The bread can be really dry and isn't nice for a sanwich BUT is nice toasted with spread or whatever you like to put on toast! It has a little bit of sweetness to it. Potatoes are good for carbs so maybe a jacket potato after a run or exercise, maybe with beams for extra energy! I've not had it for a while now and I'm finding it ok to get by. I do miss crusty bread on a Saturday but other than that, I can still have pasta etc. Do you have a banana before or after you run? That's what I do and I find it does give me energy. Hope this helps! I'm not actually intolerant but I do find I'm much less bloated now I'm not eating it.
  • Yeh I eat banana's with my soya cereal every day, I have corn cracker stuff at lunch and generally eat like grilled chicken or something for dinner at night.  I love baked potatoes but worry that I eat too much!  image  And then of course the problem with pasta is that I have to buy other wheat free stuff to have with it.  Yeh am not a big fan of any bread (wheat free or otherwise) so thats probably not a bad thing.  I am quite sensitive to it, but then I get silly and sort of chose a "quick fix" wheat meal after a run, rather than being good about it.  

• What wheat free stuff do you ahve to buy to have with pasta?? Why not pan fry some chicken with peppers an mushrooms, add to the pasta and stir through some pesto (rocket or roasted red pepper are my faves) then add some spinach and Bob's your uncle - it's yummy! I eat a lot of fish and tend to have it with veg or salad. I can't help you with breakfast as I only eat a banana. Luch I make my own Veggie soup or just have fruit all day til the evening. If I'm running after work I have a banana about 4pm and maybe some raisens to give me a boost. Once you get going with it and cut down your daily portions your stomach starts to shrink and you don't actually need as much food.
  • Doesn't sound bad...  Mostly, I dont' like dry food, so I always assume that I need to buy some form of sauce..  I will give you recipe a go (hmmmm a running forum AND cooking session).

Yeh, I eat heaps of white meat with veg or salad for dinner so thats not a problem.  I buy wheat / gluten / dairy free cereal and have that with rachels organic greek style yoghurt with honey (I don't care how fattening it is - it's YUM) and a banana for breakfast so that is also ok.

It's just that generally, in my general meals, there aren't a lot of carbs, so I worry about where I am getting the "energy" (possible why I am starting to battle on a third of the runs) and where I am "refuelling" after.

• Always go for energy to do the run rather that eating to compensate I would suggest. If you run later in the day why not have a bigger lunch (jacket spud, pasta salad etc) so you have the energy to run. How many miles are you running each run? When do you start to get tired? I sometimes get that tired feeling near the end when you don't think your legs can go any further but you just seem to find the energy - from where I do not know!

I'll have a think of other meals you could have. Do you have potatoes when you have your fish/meat and veg? Do you like sweet potato? So good and much better for you than white potato - it's really good roasted in the oven! I'll have a think....

• Hi marja, just jog up and down smithills dean 3 times a week. Weight will drop off you in no timeimage
  • You are lovely!  Thanks Aitch!

I have recently stopped smoking and started running again after a 2 year "break" (moving to the UK) so am probably on about 3/4 miles every day and long runs on saturday and sunday...  Not much, but building up. 

I heard a rumour that you should try not mix protein and carbs...  So I don't.  Only after a long run, I risk it.  I really do sound like one of those strange people who read something, believe it, and live by it.

I'm not.  

I swear

• What do you think might happen to you if you have protein and carbs?

Yes, the world is littered with corpses of people who made the mistake of having beans on toast, or baked potato and cheese.

The world's gone mad.

• RunningCommentary - nothing will happen but apparently (and I battle to maintain my weight) its harder for your body to digest when you eat protein and carbs together...

Or is that another completely poinless old wives tale?

• I'm aware of the theory --  the Hay Diet and food combining etc. I just don't think that it's practical or necessary. I don't doubt that there's some truth in the digestion theories, but is it really worth it? 

The idea that you can't eat carbs and protein on the same plate makes life enormously complicated, and eliminates what, 80% of the world's great meals? Perhaps more. I can barely think of a dish that doesn't have both. 

Eat what you want within reason, and exercise moderately. It's the best and most natural way. I'm not being unsympathetic. I too struggle with my weight, but I've no truck with fad diets and 'eating systems'. The cure sounds far worse than the complaint.

• I've read up about it and tried it and it does work. I try to follow it but don't all the time - it's quite hard and don't like to deprive myself. Honestly RC the world hasn't gone mad! I struggle with my weight big time that's why I do it. Need to get my weight down so I don't get diabetes when I'm older so it might appear like I'm a bit mad but honestly I'm perfectly sane, I would just like to be a bit thinner (ok well a lot thinner) and think it will help. I doe at loads - just eat really healthy stuff - I HATE the feeling of huger.

PO - Wow you sound like you're doing loads of running - good for you! I think exercise is an excellent substitute for those nasty cigarettes, well done, keep up the good work.

I've just been for a 4.5 mile run so think I might have some pasta tonight, getting hungry now...
  • RC I agree with you to a large extent - being wheat intolerant means that I can't eat most of the food normally, so cutting it down even further is depressing and means that I just end up grumpy because eventually I throw in the towel and eat that hamburger.  I don't believe in diets or eating systems either - more so in changing your mindset to what goes in your mouth...

Aitch - thanks for all the advice!  Yeh its been brilliant giving up, and been so easy as well.  Have passed the first month hurdle with no problems, so am patting self on back and spending money like there is no tomorrow...

• Hi Everyone

I'd like to second Nessie's earlier post and go with Paul Mckenna's Weight Loss System.  I found it to be brilliant!!

I started using the system at Christmas 2005 and by Sept 2006 I'd lost 6 and 1/2 stone.  it's the easiest way I've lost weight and what even better is that it's gone for good image it's also responsible for me starting running.

Paul suggests increasing the number of steps you take a day by 2000; so I did and found I enjoyed it! I went further, got quicker and ended up running.  I did my first 10k on my 52nd birthday in August 2006 and had so much fun I was hooked.  I've done many more since, including my first marathon in May this year.  (Doing my 2nd marathon in Jan)

If you want more info check out the Paul Mckenna Training website (or ask me)

Yvonne

• Yvonnne -I'll have to have a look at that I'm quite interested in reading about it. Well done on the weight loss and running achievements - that's amazing! I'd say I've got about 2 and half to 3 tone to lose (lost 4 pounds so far) so I've got a fair way to go but hopefully I'll get there with the help of my running - training for my second half which is in April. I don't think you can do the weight loss thing without exercise - that, for me, is the most important thing.

PO - My brother quit just under 2 years ago after smoking 20 a day for 10 years and he's never looked back. He's always been fit but struggled to run more than about 5 miles until he quit and now does much longer distances and no longer struggles. He now despises it and even tries to convince his friends to stop! I'm impressed you've stopped I can imagine it's difficult once you're addicted but you've done the right thing - keep it up!! They smell foul not to mention the poor things they do to your body. No cheating you hear??! By the way, I had that pasta thing last night after my run and really enjoyed it!
  • A - luckily I am still relatively young, and I always said that if it interfered with my sports I would chuck it.  That and a brief visit to A&E a couple months ago was enough to scare me into stopping!  Now, all I need to do is walk past someone who is smoking and its such a strong smell it's unreal!  Or smell someone who has just had a fag and it's horrible!!  I have been lucky though - it's been really easy to stop! 

Ah yes - the pasta!  Did you have a good run then?  I always find the best way to do longer distances is to head and get lost.  Literally.  image  I discovered today that cheese is another contributer to me not feeling great - so going to try stopping that as well.  image

• I'm glad you've seen sense and maybe a scare was what you needed. Best to stop while your young.

Yeah the pasta was yummy, I really enjoyed every last mouthful! The run was good - new route is a winner so think that's my evening route sorted for the winter for the shorter runs. I still love my longer weekend runs on the country lanes but can't do them in the week due to no lights!!

People usually have a problem with cheese. To be honest I don't really like it that much which is good!!
  • Yeh I just discovered the joys of Sanoodi so am plotting all different runs as we speak!  Yet another productive day at work!  Yeh my longer run is through parks and stuff as well - but also can't do it now.  Very sad...

I love cheese - and I just discovered the joys of goats cheese as well.  Am suitably depressed now as this is really starting to cut into my "sneaky food day".  Oh well.  image