speedwork

As a complete novice to this running malarkey, I've heard a lot about speedwork but I'm completely unsure as to what it is or what I'm supposed to do, can anyone give me a clue?, oh and by the way, thanks for all your encouragement, I will definitely be entering the 5 mile run in September and I'll let you all know how I get on

Comments

• hi rachelina

as a complete novice myself i may not be the best person to advise you on speedwork however if you check out this schedule > http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?SP=&V=1&SP=&v=3&UAN=76 (copy and paste in to your browser) it may shed som elight on it for you. i find it quite difficult but it already seems to be having an effect (ive only been running for about three weeks). hope this helps

john

• Rache, don't worry about speedwork just yet. Build up some endurance first and when you can run the whole distance you've set yorself as a target, either 5k or 10k or whatever, then build in speed sessions to improve times.
    Good luck
  • I agree with Slo' on this one. Get your CV endurance up to a level where you can run for at least 30 minutes comfortably and then add speedwork to your training. I have been running seriously for 3 months now and have only just added speedwork sessions to my training. Good luck on your 5m!!
  • Speedwork is most commonly neglected by people running for "fitness" or "fun", but it is essential to improve your general running form (it forces you to find more efficient ways of running) and for more efficient lactic acid processing (achieved by regular interval sessions) which by definition build up an ability to run for longer.

Don't dismiss them, and if you can fit a few in per month then do try them, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • I did reverse fartlek last night for my speed work and it felt goooooood
  • Ive got to agree with andy. whilst ive only been running for around a month the speedwork really does help with many things - not least learning to pace myself. even 3 or 4 mins speed work surely reaps benefits?

john
  • I absolutely hate speedwork, but have to reluctantly admit that it does do some good. I've found that it has improved my ability to increase the pace later in races and enabled me to put in a faster second half & strong finish in most races.
  • I've also only recently started speedwork and if anything it just changes the boredom of running the same route all the time.

I am trying to up my distance every week but I always run the same route so it was nice to do some dashes and sprints - just makes the workout a little different...

Happy running!
    :-)