Safe to run on medication?

First I got the flu, then I got a horrible itchy rash all over my body. The doctor said it was an allergic reaction to something and gave me antihistimines and a course of cortico-steroids. I now feel much better and the rash is slowly disappearing, however, I'm still on the medication (and I will be for a couple more days). Is it safe to run when taking cortico-steroids? Due to the flu then the rash, I haven't run for 10 days. I'd really like to get back out there and it's also ruining my training. I've got a 10mile race coming up in less than 2 weeks. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Not sure how helpful this is but are there any side effects listed on the patient information leaflets for your medications?  You will need to take them into consideration before attempting to run.  Is it possible for you to have a telephone consultation with your GP?  Some health centres offer this option, which is quicker for the GP if it is a minor query.  The alternative is to consult an organisation like NHS Direct, although how their helpfulness does vary.

Maybe a question for one of our forum doctors?

If it is only a couple more days (ie 2 or 3), in my humble non-medical opinion I would leave training until you finish them.  Another couple of days of not training isn't going to hurt, fitness wise or training wise.

I'm no doctor so please feel free to ignore what I've said image

I hope your rash completely goes soon and you don't need any more medication.

Good luck with your race.

• If you feel ok then run

are you over the flu tho?

• Yes, I am over the flu. I was at the latter stages of it when the rash struck. Actually, I couldn't resist and I went on a 4 mile run last night. Wasn't the most comfortable run, probably due to the enforced lay-off and the medication, but it went ok. I think I'll take today off, to be on the cautious side, and get back to my schedule on Thursday. Thursday will be the last day of the steroids anyway.  Regarding GP's, my experience has been that they will tell you to not to run more often than not, on any medication, which is not always necessary.
  • There are no medications that stop you running.

There are only illnesses that stop you running.

And there is no spoon.image

So says a GP